What about Fastpass+?

Planogirl

I feel the nerd in me stirring
I know that this appears at first glance to be a theme park question but I'm looking at it from the perspective of offsite guests not being able to participate. Has anyone with offsite reservations gotten any news about this?

I think you can participate - or will be able too - just - well it is not letting me on Disneyworld. so sorry.

I have no idea how this is gonna affect us. As of right now, I have not seen any reports of offsiters being able to access FP+ even if they link their tickets.

I will tell you my feelings on all of this. I am starting to feel like a 2nd class citizen in Disney's eyes. It is gonna be visually very obvious that I am staying offsite because I won't be wearing a magic band. Before, it didn't matter. Once in the gates, everyone was on equal footing. Now, I am not sure. I would hope that it won't make a difference, but my mind likes to wander. Will my kids get the same attention from characters as a magic banded person? Will we get the same level of service at restaurants? I know it sounds silly, but these are actual thoughts going through my head. It is obvious that Disney is catering more to their onsite guests. I question how far that catering will go.

Wow Nixie, I certainly hope that that won't be the case. I always said that I didn't mind paying more for certain features and even missing out on things separate from regular park hours but now I wonder too...

I just wish that Disney would announce something. I sent an email to Guest Services but who knows if they'll respond or if they do if there will be any substance to the response.

Wow Nixie, I certainly hope that that won't be the case. I always said that I didn't mind paying more for certain features and even missing out on things separate from regular park hours but now I wonder too...

I just wish that Disney would announce something. I sent an email to Guest Services but who knows if they'll respond or if they do if there will be any substance to the response.

That's it!! We just want to KNOW what the heck is going on. Is that too much to ask?
I have APs and if by some crazy chance it unfolds totally different than we think, I may not be renewing them next year. That would break my heart.
I would really hope we are not treated differently than people staying on site.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Ncl started color coding room keys on their ships according to the level of your room. Suites were one color,inside another...we were a little concerned we'd be treated differently but was not. I know this isn't the same thing but hopefully Disney will follow suit and it won't make a difference. If we notice a difference, as much as we LOVE Disney, we can learn to love something else, and we will take our vacation dollars elsewhere.

I was so glad that we went before the roll out because I have the same concerns. Only a few resorts were testing in August so it wasn't that big of a deal - the thing that really bothered me was the glitch where you could use old KTTW cards and tickets to pull extra FP. I got stuck behind a couple of people at TSMM and watched the FP time get later and later as people stuck card after card into the machine bragging about the loophole.

I have a sinking feeling that offsite guests will have their FP+ options severely limited while onsite guests are able to pull the headliners 60 days in advance.

I don't like to stay onsite so I'm glad we aren't planning another trip for 2 years so I will get a good chance to see how this all shakes out.

We are going in a couple of weeks, we were initially staying at BLT but switched relatively last minute to WBC. Initially I was worried about missing out on magic band testing, but then found out that BLT isn't part of the October testing so I'm not missing out on anything this trip. So, I don't think they can treat people as second class citizens yet, as not all their onside guests are MB eligible. Once they completely roll it out, I think they will offer it to all guests but I do think there will be some perk to being onsite, either more FP+ selections or the ability to choose them earlier (like 180 + 10 for onsiters).

We had a trip scheduled for WBC in February. We just switched it to an onsite stay at UOR instead because I got so annoyed by all of this. And we wanted to see Universal anyway, so win win.

Regardless, I'm not that confident that offsite stays are going to be treated the same anymore when it comes to Fastpass. My prediction right now is that onsite stays are going to be able to prebook at 60 days PLUS length of stay. That is going to end being a huge advantage, even if offsite can book at 60 days.

Anyway, regardless of the details, in general, I am not that optimistic that offsite visitors (including local visitors) and onsite WDW resort visitors are going to be on an even playing field anymore when it comes to Fastpass.

once they get those magic bands up and going - they are doing away with the fasspass period.

so still think Disney will find a way for offsite guests to participate.

most of the guests to WDW stay offsite.

really hoping it won't be like US/IOA - where you only get FOLE free if staying on their property and you have to pay extra to get it if staying offsite. and the offsite one is not nearly as good as the onsite one.:confused3

Universal is pretty easy to tour even if you don't have Express passes or at least that has been our experience. The Harry Potter ride is the most difficult but no one gets Express for that. To be fair, we haven't been since the Transformers ride opened so I don't know how that affects the touring.

I was convinced that offsite would participate in FP+ too but it is starting to seem odd that nothing has been mentioned so far. It looks like just about all of the Disney resorts will be participating soon so where does that leave everyone else? I wonder how soon we can expect the official rollout?

I can see onsite guests getting the 60 plus length of stay advantage. If offsite visitors do get 60 day then we'll just have to plan DHS for that first day.

I was so glad that we went before the roll out because I have the same concerns. Only a few resorts were testing in August so it wasn't that big of a deal - the thing that really bothered me was the glitch where you could use old KTTW cards and tickets to pull extra FP. I got stuck behind a couple of people at TSMM and watched the FP time get later and later as people stuck card after card into the machine bragging about the loophole.
I have a sinking feeling that offsite guests will have their FP+ options severely limited while onsite guests are able to pull the headliners 60 days in advance.

I don't like to stay onsite so I'm glad we aren't planning another trip for 2 years so I will get a good chance to see how this all shakes out.

Me too. The implementation of Magicband/FP+ was one of the big motivations for us to get another WDW trip in (with a visit to each park) this past May. I am also concerned how Disney guests that stay offsite will be affected by all this because as much as we like the Disney resorts, staying at an offsite condo just works out well for us for various reasons. I imagine that a lot of AP holders stay offsite or mix up their frequent visits with both offsite and onsite stays; and there are probably a good number of FL residents who stay offsite or don't have to a book a stay anywhere if they live close and do frequent day trips to the parks. I wonder how Disney will take that into consideration? I have read that offsite guests may be able to purchase Magicband/FP+ which I am not thrilled about, but I understand that Disney needs to keep developing ways to make staying on their property as attractive as possible. If the fee is reasonable then we would consider it since staying offsite in a condo saves us quite a bundle anyway and fast passes are critical for my family to be able to tour the parks efficiently. If the fee for FP+ ends up being outrageous, then I guess we would have to consider making an onsite stay work for us again and for my family that would involve being limited to only going to WDW if a good discount promotion is offered, going during value season when the resort rates are lowest, and getting two standard rooms at a value resort.

well know at first offsite was to be included.

that the problem this thing is still developing - which is why it is still in testing - when it should have been out this summer.

fp also has a big problem for me - only one park per day and I think 5 fp's per quarter (Dec, Mar, June, Sept) (that also might just be for the AP) or this just might be a rumor. No wait that might 20 or 25 fp.

go look on the DVC boards - there has been several discussions and more important - reports from testers.

instead of just the rides - it will also include shows, fireworks, and parades.

since disney is making money - really believe that most of the guests to the parks - offsiters - would be included in the new FP. Disney hates negative press - and would think it would be a lot of negative press.

going in Dec staying at BLT - almost went with offsite - but then would have to rent my BLT reservation and this year just don't have the energy.

I have concerns about fastpass+ too. We are AP holders we stay offsite and onsite. I'm concerned about not being able too book FP+ in advance like those staying onsite. If I can't book in advance am I going to be out of luck for the most popular fastpasses such as TSMM and Soarin? Who knows. We will arrive three weeks from today :-)cool1:) staying at WBC. I'm curious how fastpass will be affected with only some onsite guests doing the MBs.

Ditto this. Or at least, I keep telling myself I'm glad we're not going for a while because everything's so up in the air. :rolleyes:

It is gonna be visually very obvious that I am staying offsite because I won't be wearing a magic band.

:scared1:

I never even thought of that! But I think spiceycat is right that it would be a publicity debacle, and Disney hates negative press. Which also hadn't occurred to me. :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing that out, spiceycat!

:thumbsup2

Once they completely roll it out, I think they will offer it to all guests but I do think there will be some perk to being onsite, either more FP+ selections or the ability to choose them earlier (like 180 + 10 for onsiters).

::yes::

My thoughts exactly.

I have read that offsite guests may be able to purchase Magicband/FP+ which I am not thrilled about, but I understand that Disney needs to keep developing ways to make staying on their property as attractive as possible.

This seems likely, since I believe that's how Universal works it -- you can get their Express pass either by staying onsite or by paying extra for it.

instead of just the rides - it will also include shows, fireworks, and parades.

This is actually the part that most concerns me. Well, and the fact that so many more attractions are part of it. Whether offsite people can get one or not, I think the bands may really change the crowd balance. People are much more likely to go to the "slower" attractions if they've signed up for them, and I think the choices newbies make at home will be very different from the choices they'd make wandering the parks. Fastpasses do slow down the standby line, and how much they slow it down can be unpredictable.

Right now I have pretty much instant access to a lot of the slower things I love if we go offseason; if people start signing up for them because they can't get what they really want, then the crowds will be more evenly spread and it'll be harder to find those pockets of peacefulness. I can totally understand why Disney would want to do that, but it makes the parks a lot less attractive to me.

OTOH, we've been wanting to do the Harry Potter stuff at Universal since before it first went in; if the Disney parks look iffy in 2015 due to the bands, maybe that'll be enough of a boost to get us there. :upsidedow

I am once again planning for both Universal and WDW. I can't seem to get around that. :)

I agree that offsite visitors will likely have some type of access to FP+ once it completely rolls out. I'm unhappy about the timing I guess. We will be going in December and it appears that most of the resort visitors will have them and likely so will those with AP's. It disturbs me that no mention of offsite visitors has come up at all so far. If those individuals get to take part, when will they test? If they don't test, will it just be announced one day? If so, what about those traveling around that time who have had no access?

I guess that everyone will find out soon.

We are going mid October, and it appears all (or almost all) onsite guests will be able to use FP+. We decided to book one night at a value the day before we check into our rental home- partly because of MB/FP+, partly because we wanted one more day in the parks.

Our MBs are customized and on thir way to us. Unfortunately, my kiddos UCT tix are the hard green kind, and they aren't linked correctly in MDE. So right now I am able to book FP+ for 5 days for DH and me, but not for the kids until this is fixed. I was also able to get a lunch FP to BOG for all of us since those are not tied to the regular FP+ system.

Some people have speculated that the FP+ we are able to book now (once IT gets my kids tix fixed) won't actually work after our one night onsite. Not sure if anyone has had success with doing this, but even if it doesn't work, we are no worse off than if we hadn't booked any FP+.

This is our first Disney trip, and we don't know if we'll make it back again. The way offsite guests are handled in this new system will certainly influence us one way or another. We would never spend a week onsite, too expensive and cramped for a large family like us. One night onsite wouldn't be a bad compromise. We shall see, I guess.

People will likely do as they do at Universal or even Atlantis. They will book a room they have no intention of using. I did just that for our trip. It's still WAY cheaper than booking a DVC 2 bedroom. A 1 night hotel at a value (which is costing me about 83 bucks total for Nov. 17) is getting me the option to book BoG, get my 'free parking' and get MBs for those 2 days plus magic hours. We do short trips to Disney- (never more than 4 nights) and often go to other places. This time around we are doing 2 days at DW and 1 at Aquatica. The time savings alone over those 2 days will amount to several hours NOT in lines. BoG alone for lunch has over an hour wait right now:scared1:

In the meantime we get to stay at Bonnet Creek with a 2 bedroom condo. :banana:

People will likely do as they do at Universal or even Atlantis. They will book a room they have no intention of using. I did just that for our trip. It's still WAY cheaper than booking a DVC 2 bedroom. A 1 night hotel at a value (which is costing me about 83 bucks total for Nov. 17) is getting me the option to book BoG, get my 'free parking' and get MBs for those 2 days plus magic hours. We do short trips to Disney- (never more than 4 nights) and often go to other places. This time around we are doing 2 days at DW and 1 at Aquatica. The time savings alone over those 2 days will amount to several hours NOT in lines. BoG alone for lunch has over an hour wait right now:scared1:

In the meantime we get to stay at Bonnet Creek with a 2 bedroom condo. :banana:

That is working right now during testing...but I still think it's unknown as to how it will work in the future...Will it be based on number of nights stayed at the resort or days of tickets, etc.

Hopefully it will keep working the same way ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter