We made the news Florida channel 13 interview 4/30!!!

I really haven't been reading this thread because, well, I am not a VMK parent in Orlando, Kissimmee, Clermont or Daytona (per subject line), but have been told to check out the last few posts by some friends today. Very nice TrudBlueFairy. I had no clue with was happening yesterday - I think I was on somewhere at 1:00pm too! lol Sorry I didn't know about it to offer support at the time, but VERY well done.

I have to share, while watching the news story, I got choked up when the reporter said something along the lines of "100s of other games at Disney.com"

Do the Disney execs REALLY not get what a great community they have built (and are destroying)? - wipes tear -

Well done TrueBlueFairy (and family).

I have not had a lot of time to post here but have been lurking the whole time. I have followed up on on the posts, petitions and blogs out there and posted on them. The whole situation has me and my DD upset.

I am so with the boycott idea. We don't think we can go back to the parks knowing that Disney has only Disney in mind and not the people that support it. If they are willing to write off the very thing that caused us to desire the in park experience then so be it. If your listening WDIG, you take VMK off line and that $25,000 or so we spent with you last year means nothing then fine, write off our cash to.

Universal Studios here we come!

I agree with you completely, my husband and i go to orlando every two years but when we go, we go big. We last went in August of 2006 for 16 days and took nine family members (children, gkids, and their parents) at the cost of +$40,000. Two weeks before the announced closing, we booked a similiar trip for october of this year. If VMK closes on May 21, I will be cancelling the trip, there is not a single family member in this house that will be excited about going back to Disney for a very long time. We also had a suprise trip booked on the Cruise Line for christmas vacation, its gonna be real easy to change companies on this as well :)

hope nobody minds but I am about to edit the title of the thread and edit the first post to have a link to the page the article/video is found :)

I don't think the whole boycott angle is so bad, actually. Let Disney hear about a possible boycott. It can't hurt! :stir:

In a way, I actually am boycotting, although not officially. For the first time in years, I have no desire to go on a Disney trip any time soon. Usually I can't get enough. And that's 100% because of VMK closing.

I am somewhat feeling the same way. Mostly because I feel like Disney Corporation has stolen from me.

They never told me that all the money I spent to obtain codes were a promotion. Had they have told me that, I would have never "wasted" my money. The pins are not anything I collect and honestly, they are sitting in a box in my closet. I do not care for them. My hard-earned money is not a promotion. ;)

They have taken something I really love on this earth (Disney) and have used it against me for their benefit and then labled it a promotion.

I tenatively have a vacation planned to Disneyworld next year, but we are looking at going to Universal, Busch Gardens, the Holy Land Experience and Sea World instead. We are really leaning towards their competition.

I agree with you completely, my husband and i go to orlando every two years but when we go, we go big. We last went in August of 2006 for 16 days and took nine family members (children, gkids, and their parents) at the cost of +$40,000. Two weeks before the announced closing, we booked a similiar trip for october of this year. If VMK closes on May 21, I will be cancelling the trip, there is not a single family member in this house that will be excited about going back to Disney for a very long time. We also had a suprise trip booked on the Cruise Line for christmas vacation, its gonna be real easy to change companies on this as well :)

I can agree and relate with this one as well. We are going on a cruise next year (as you can see in my ticker). Originally we were taking a Disney cruise, but we have changed to the Princess Cruise Lines.

My trip last year cost close to $10K for me, my daughter and sister for 8 days. If I decide to go to Disney this year, we are looking at close to $11K for me, my sister, my brother and his friend....and that is before souvenirs, MVMCP tickets and the dining plan.

okay either their site is having issues or I am.
I click the link for the video and it shows up with a picture but then it doesn't play.

I watched the video last night and left a pretty long comment.

Great job on it! :thumbsup2

WOW, the video was awesome! So much better than the little blurb they had written up on the website last night.

Fairy, you should be SO proud of yourself and your kids!!

(also, I want your gorgeous long thick hair. Either that, or your daughter's absolutely amazing blonde curls. I have serious hair-envy of your family.) :rotfl:

Our Family's $4,000+ trip has recently been canceled. Better luck next year Disney!

We are about to cancel ours as well. We have a 10 day trip planned for November. I'm deep into planning and I was about to buy our airline tickets last weekend when I asked my kids if they still wanted to go. Thanks to this VMK business no one seems very excited about making the trip.

We are getting close to our 360 day mark for ADRs and I don't know what to do. I'm hoping something positive will happen with VMK, but if it closes I'm sure my kids will not want to hear or see anything Disney, let alone travel 3000 miles to Orlando.

All of you who are not going to Disney because of VMK closing, please see my "A New Campaign Idea" post! Disney needs to hear about this!

I followed link on first post of this thread and had no problem watching the video, gl with fixing this. Smile, and keep doing what you can from where you are. I have believed all this time that YOU, me and who ever wants to keep VMK can, we just need to let Disney know that this “promotion” is so much more than a game. Do not give up now I think we are gathering steam and our message is working it's way to the decision makers.

While I'm on the subject. Some “save VMK” campaigners seem to think Disney is pulling the plug because of funding issues. Well, obviously Disney does not see that increased park attendance and merchandise purchases are due in part to VMK. VMK has brought a small park of the magic into our homes. On a regular basis these tastes of magic remind us how much fun it feels to be in the real park.

Disney has plenty of funds they just need to filter it to where it will profit them them the most. In this case profit does not have to mean financially BUT if they do it right it could DEFFINATLY be a money maker. VMK is DEFFINATLY a money maker! Do they not hear all the people saying they booked trips to the real parks BECAUSE of the magic that VMK has brought into our homes? VMK has "branded" us and wanted us to visit the real thing. Disney is big on branding. And they might have no idea they are disconnecting them selves from Disney fans who … well let me quote directly from The Disney Company 2007 annual report, page 7, letter from Robert A. Iger. “Our commitment to high-quality creative work, a persistent focus on new technologies and intelligent investment in international markets are the strategies we believe can continue to carry us forward. But in upholding the outstanding reputation afforded to Disney name, we must also continuously enhance our commitment to social responsibility and particularly to the families and children who are our biggest fans.”

Close VMK “promition” = loose link to families and children who are our biggest fans - does not make much sense to me.

I don't mean to start a fight here, but have you all lost your minds? I use to work for disney, in the entertainment department, and I can tell you that 20 years ago and today, Disney was/is all about making money! Yes disney gives the dream of magic to kids, but they have been about padding their execs pockets!!!
As I have said lots of times since the announcement of vmk closing, it was always about the bottom line!! VMK didn't make them money, and I mean serious money. Yes vmk brought people to the park for cards and what not, but not everyone ran to the parks or bought items, so it didn't make them 80.00 per person per park kinda money.
Disney is for no one but themselves!!! Wake up and smell the coffee. Now yes I'm very sad and my kids are crushed that vmk is closing, but it's all about the bottom line. I've written disney more times than I can count about there park prices and they don't care. They actually sent me a email back saying that I should get a better job..lol See I live in Orlando and can't afford to take my kids to disney, they have never been actually. Now universal has cheaper tickets for Florida residents and there annual passes are cheaper for residents and you pay monthly, but disney won't do that. I would love to get a better paying job, but I'm disabled and can't work so maybe disney should write social security and say raises our checks just so we might be able to afford to see disney in our lifetime!

Ok I'm getting off my soapbox, sorry all, just my opinion

I don't mean to start a fight here, but have you all lost your minds? I use to work for disney, in the entertainment department, and I can tell you that 20 years ago and today, Disney was/is all about making money! Yes disney gives the dream of magic to kids, but they have been about padding their execs pockets!!!
As I have said lots of times since the announcement of vmk closing, it was always about the bottom line!! VMK didn't make them money, and I mean serious money. Yes vmk brought people to the park for cards and what not, but not everyone ran to the parks or bought items, so it didn't make them 80.00 per person per park kinda money.
Disney is for no one but themselves!!! Wake up and smell the coffee.

No, we haven't lost our minds, and yes, I think we've all grasped that fact. Very few have been under the impression that this is not about the bottom line. My contention, and that of many others, is that Disney doesn't understand what they have in VMK, in terms of profitability potential, since they've never given VMK a fighting chance at being profitable. Disney also generally likes to give the IMPRESSION that they care about their customers and guests, and the noise we're generating is bad for that image. Which is a good thing.

A side note: if you aren't out to start a fight, it's probably best not to begin with a sentence like "have you all lost your minds?" :upsidedow

I've got coffee, thanks! :surfweb:

Disney is for no one but themselves!!! Wake up and smell the coffee. Now yes I'm very sad and my kids are crushed that vmk is closing, but it's all about the bottom line. I've written disney more times than I can count about there park prices and they don't care. They actually sent me a email back saying that I should get a better job..lol See I live in Orlando and can't afford to take my kids to disney, they have never been actually. Now universal has cheaper tickets for Florida residents and there annual passes are cheaper for residents and you pay monthly, but disney won't do that. I would love to get a better paying job, but I'm disabled and can't work so maybe disney should write social security and say raises our checks just so we might be able to afford to see disney in our lifetime!

I think we all understand this, it is after all basic business strategy, part of the point that we are trying to get across is that there are many ways of making money off VMK. Someone at Disney obviously didnt have the vision to see this when they opened VMK, and someone at Disney obviously doesnt have the vision to see the potential for the money they are losing by closing VMK the way they are. I am not just talking about revamping VMK, I am talking about lost revenue from disillusioned and disappointed fans. Mine is only one family and due to this closing, disney will lose upwards of $50,000 this year (due to TWO scheduled and cancelled vacations... one for sixteen days at the AKL for nine people and another cruise for eight). This is something Disney needs to be made aware of and take into consideration. We understand it is about "the bottom line", disney needs to understand that as well. We do have the capability to affect their bottom line.

As you can see, I've still got two trips in the works, and I just came back from one recently.

I don't see the point of canceled trips just because VMK is closing. For everyone who canceled a trip, did you all enjoy Disney trips BEFORE May of 2005? If VMK was the sole reason you wanted to go to Disney...well it just seems incomprehensible to me that you will cancel a trip because VMK is closing.

I can assure you that I'm perfectly sane. In fact, I have been told by several people here that I seem to be rather level headed most of the time.
We have all realized a long time ago that Disney was about the bottom dollar.
I even spent almost half of my letter telling them ways in which they can make money off of VMK.

But as stated, they like to keep up the appearance that they care about kids and their fans. In fact, they try to work long and hard on that appearance. If we can convince Disney that closing VMK would be a bad move both monetarily and reputation wise, it can only help our cause.

If you think we're all insane for trying to keep VMK open, then please go on your own merrily way and leave us to fight for what we believe in. :)

As you can see, I've still got two trips in the works, and I just came back from one recently.

I don't see the point of canceled trips just because VMK is closing. For everyone who canceled a trip, did you all enjoy Disney trips BEFORE May of 2005? If VMK was the sole reason you wanted to go to Disney...well it just seems incomprehensible to me that you will cancel a trip because VMK is closing.

I think most people that have cancelled or are cancelling is because right now they are not feeling the Disney magic. I don't think it's really a thought out boycott. They just don't feel like going now because they are upset with Disney.
It's the same as if you always had fun at your friend's house before, but now he/she's done something to upset you. Would you really feel like going there for a while?

On the same note, I have several hundred Disney movies and I'm always watching them. Since the announcement, I have yet to watch one. I've always enjoyed them before. But right now, Disney just gives me a bad taste in my mouth and I just simply don't feel like watching them.

I think most people that have cancelled or are cancelling is because right now they are not feeling the Disney magic. I don't think it's really a thought out boycott. They just don't feel like going now because they are upset with Disney.
It's the same as if you always had fun at your friend's house before, but now he/she's done something to upset you. Would you really feel like going there for a while?

On the same note, I have several hundred Disney movies and I'm always watching them. Since the announcement, I have yet to watch one. I've always enjoyed them before. But right now, Disney just gives me a bad taste in my mouth and I just simply don't feel like watching them.

I guess I'm just past that stage of grief. ;) I'm fully accepting that VMK will close on May 21, but for some reason, it's not affecting how I feel about Disney. I've gotten past the bad feelings.

Exactly!!! I just cant get into the whole spirit right now and cant see spending a ton of money if im not going to enjoy myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter