Two Delicious Birthdays - 8 Days DxDDP/CL - UPDATE 7/12 Sci Fi!!

After Blizzard Beach, we went back to the Yacht Club to change then we hopped the bus to Animal Kingdom for our lunch reservation. We arrived at Yak n Yeti and we got a buzzer as there was a small wait. I know this is random... but the hand dryers in the restrooms were made by Dyson and they were super intense. I was impressed, lol--so was Dave, he took a pic.

100_0014.jpg

We were seated in about 10 minutes. Our waiter came, asked if we were on the Dining Plan and kept explaining over and over that Yak n Yeti was not Disney owned. I knew this, but I didn't know why it was being said over and over. The other restaurants that are not Disney owned just take the card and explain how it is a little difference, but they don't make this big of a deal. Just weird. I had a coke, he had an iced tea. We put our appetizer order in.

100_0015.jpg

The appetizer took a really long time. Other tables around us were already getting their entrees when we were waiting for our appies. We were confused, but oh well.

He had wings and I had pork egg rolls. Dave said the wings were good and crispy. I thought the egg rolls were good too. Not as amazing as Nine Dragons, but they were good! We were barely a few bites in and our entrees came. We gave up our appetizers although we weren't done.

100_0016.jpg

100_0017.jpg

Steak and Shrimp for me and Ribs for him. We switched rices. I got his Chicken Fried rice and he got my Jasmine rice... just like we asked :) My shrimp was great :) the steak was good too. At this point in the week, I had lots of steak and it was like... just another steak. I was all about the rice and shrimp. Very yum. Dave really liked the hoisin ribs. He liked the food a lot.

Dessert was next. I went with the sorbet sampler and he went with the fried wontons. We both were very happy :)

100_0018.jpg

When it was time to pay the bill, the waiter re-did the speech on being a non-Disney restaurant. LOL OKAY!! We get it. I'm not sure why he was so intense on this matter, but it was getting to be a turn off! We paid with not nearly as much drama as he made it out to be, and left. It was a shame for such a good meal to be associated with such dramatic service. Even if you're not a Disney owned restaurant, you are in a Disney park, so semi-badmouthing Disney is not exactly smart. The other ones on the Dining Plan don't freak out like that. Geesh. Anyway, I would eventually eat here again... at least to be able to dry my hands with the Dyson :)

Joining in and loving your reviews. I'm so glad you loved Captain Grills and Yatchman's b/c we will be trying those 2 as a new restaurant for us. We love Tusker House breakfast (love the food and character interaction). What time was your breakfast at Tusker House b/c we have it at 8:05 and wanted to know what time we should take the bus.
During the time you went how was the bus at YC. Did the bus stop at other resort...if so was YC first?

Our Tusker House breakfast was at 8:30, we got on the bus around 8ish. The YC bus was ehh, okay. The bus is shared with Swan/Dolphin/YC/BC/BWI. On the way to AK, we stopped at BC and BWI, on the way back, we stopped at Swan and Dolphin first. There were plenty of busses coming all the time. I just wish they didn't share between 5 resorts.

Our Tusker House breakfast was at 8:30, we got on the bus around 8ish. The YC bus was ehh, okay. The bus is shared with Swan/Dolphin/YC/BC/BWI. On the way to AK, we stopped at BC and BWI, on the way back, we stopped at Swan and Dolphin first. There were plenty of busses coming all the time. I just wish they didn't share between 5 resorts.

Thanks for the information on the bus...hopefully when we go the bus will not be too bad. I had a few bad bus experience and like to take taxi but with early ADR at AK (the taxi can't enter)...I guess we just have to deal.

We were told that non-disney restaurants can only claim up to $25 per guest on DDP; therefore, the servers are only getting their tips off the $25. We have eaten at Yak and Yeti 3 times. Only once we tipped our exceptionally "nice" server according to our actual food bill. The other servers weren't so lucky ....:rolleyes1

Ohhh I've been busy, sorry for the major lapse!

It's Dave's 30th Birthday Dinner!! He was kinda sad-faced when I told him Remy's last appearance for the day is at 5:30.... so I figured I'd buy a Remy and bring it with us :) He makes a great addition to our kitchen!! We checked in right on time and were seated within 15 minutes. They were really, really busy. I wasn't even hungry when we went. I was stuffed from everything we ate all day, my throat was still agitating me pretty bad and I would have been better off sleeping my mood off in the room with a dose of benedryl.... but the meal credits must be used, lol!! Plus it was his birthday dinner and I had to suck it up!!

IMG_2009.jpg

We got our drinks and bread. Yum, bread. It was really good!

IMG_2010.jpg

Our waiter was very friendly, he was just rather busy. I ordered the bacon flatbread with no onion for my appetizer and it was huge!! Wow!! I ate the edges since I like crust the best, but it was pretty giant and I wanted to save room for my food.

IMG_2011.jpg

He has been waiting to try the french onion soup for a while now, and he finally got the chance. He loved it. Definately lived up to his expectations!!

IMG_2012.jpg

Our meals took pretty much forever to come out. The table next to us were giving our waiter problems, plus he had too many tables to deal with anyway. I felt kinda bad for him. One thing I noticed here is that it was like a young adult french frat party of employees there. As busy as they were, they found time to group around to discuss going to the pool to party after work, and plans for the weekend. It was obviously so loud that we could hear over by the window. Eh, they're having a good time, so whatever.... wheres my dinner, lol???

We ordered the same steak meal, but mine without the black pepper sauce.

IMG_2013.jpg

He dug in and really liked his meal. I'm not big on the fresh green beans, the weird cheese they use on the potatoes was just not for me, and the steak was just.... meh.... not Yachtsman. I may have liked this if I felt better, and if I hadn't had the best steak of my life 2 days prior. I was frustrated with the table continuing to give our waiter trouble because we were going without refills and attention. I ate what I could, but I'm not counting this place out because I seriously think I just didn't feel good--but it's also not going in our rotation any time soon.

For dessert, he had a candle in his creme brulee and they sang to him in french. He likes creme brulee and ate this with no complaints. I went with the chocolate cake which I nipped at and enjoyed.

IMG_2016.jpg

I think Dave really liked it here. We had fun putting Remy on our table and all and all I think his birthday was good. The reason this isn't making our rotation is because the only menu item that appeals to us is the steak, and we've just had better steaks in the "world." I'd like to keep this spot open for a difference experience. I'm just picky and some of the tastes weren't for me. Glad I tried it though!!

Next up: Our Last Full Day ---> Raglan Road and Jiko!!

That steak does look yummy, and so does that flatbread!! Sorry you weren't feeling so well :-(

Great updates! I hadn't read a few of the ones from right before we went on our trip, so it was good to catch up. I'm so sorry about your bad service at Narcoossee's. We ended up eating there twice on our trip, one meal was the best server in all the world, and the other was the worst server of our entire trip soooo you can see that they have gained a spotty reputation for service. BOO!! We thought the food was really good though.

Happy 30th Birthday to your DH!! That Tusker House breakfast looked awesommmme! Also I thought it was super cute that you bought a little Remy and put him on your table! I didn't realize that Remy only comes out Mon-Saturday, so we didn't get to see him (lunch, Sunday). DH was kinda bummed! What a cute touch to add him to your table, loved that!

Can't wait to read about your last day! We ended up switching our Jiko ressie, and I'm still sad about it, so I can't wait to live vicariously through you! :goodvibes:goodvibes

I Just LuvLuvLuv your reviews,I am so sorry 2 hear of your loss,I am so glad that you and your husband had a good time at WDW and that you all were treated so nice at Yachtsman you all deserve it :) I must say I was laughing so hard when I read your review at Akershus when you mention how the princesses looked & all the cameras you had.

There isn't -- they just do the receipt and tip a little different.

Actually there is a lot a things that is different about the dining plan at the Yeti versus other restaurants.

They are not " putting Disney down" or " bad mouthing " them as you posted previously.

There are quite a few differences in the way it works from the start to the finish of the experience. This is why they let you know up front that this is not a Disney run restaurant and things may work slightly different than you are used to.

Actually there is a lot a things that is different about the dining plan at the Yeti versus other restaurants.

They are not " putting Disney down" or " bad mouthing " them as you posted previously.

There are quite a few differences in the way it works from the start to the finish of the experience. This is why they let you know up front that this is not a Disney run restaurant and things may work slightly different than you are used to.

i can appreciate that it is different, and thats okay. our particular waiter's delivery of the information to us was very negative and he acted like the dining plan was a huge bother to him. at big river grille, they were great in explaining, etc. it was our particular waiter who had the attitude problem toward the situation. it did indeed seem as if he was putting disney down. the service we recieved was definately lacking throughout the entire meal. however the food was pretty good.

Great reviews. We had the same experience at Narcoossees in Dec 08, it was "date night" for DH and I and it was less then memorable despite getting the window seat. Our server was just there, nothing special. We were thinking of giving it another chance on our Sept trip but DH wanted to do Calf Grill twice instead since our experience there was so wonderful. Glad to hear good review of Yachtsman's, we are staying at BC and really wanted to try it, it is DS12's choice, he :love: a good steak.

i can appreciate that it is different, and thats okay. our particular waiter's delivery of the information to us was very negative and he acted like the dining plan was a huge bother to him. at big river grille, they were great in explaining, etc. it was our particular waiter who had the attitude problem toward the situation. it did indeed seem as if he was putting disney down. the service we recieved was definately lacking throughout the entire meal. however the food was pretty good.

I have read a quite a few reviews where people thought the service wasnt up to par there but the food was very well done. The problem with the particular service complaints that I have read have to do with a management and policy issue and not an individual server related issue.

We got up and had breakfast from the lounge, and went to Typhoon Lagoon for about an hour, came back, got changed and hopped the bus to Downtown Disney for our lunch reservation. We were seated quickly, it was pretty empty.

Our waiter brought me us iced teas and he got a beer too. Here is the yummy bread they brought. The oil has a sugar reduction in it and when you dip the soda bread in.... oh my. I am NOT an oil person, and this was great.

IMG_2017.jpg

For appies, I got the Scallop Forest, and he got the wings. The scallops were huge and delish! I could have had this for my meal it was so filling. He liked his wings a lot. The lady next to us got the ribs, and he things his wings looked better.

IMG_2018.jpg

For the entree... I had to be child, lol. I asked if I could have the kid's chicken fingers. I had had so many complex meals, all I wanted was my "standby." Much to my surprise, they actually had an adult Chicken and Chips that wasn't on the menu. Sweet!! Dave went with the Meatball Sub and Fries. Both were great! Fries were amazing! Very Very Big Portions!!!

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

We were so full, but decided to try dessert anyway! He got the dunbrody kiss dessert and I got the apple/strawberry crumble dessert. We nipped at them and decided to head over to DisneyQuest. This was a great meal.... we will be back for sure!!

The unfortunate detail :( We had never been to DisneyQuest before. We got there and did the Mighty Ducks pinball, which I liked, but I was like... ugh I just ate. So we decided to knock all the big attractions out first. After pinball we went to Ride the Comix. They clearly said if you get sick, take the helmet off and exit. Well I knew immediately this was not for me!! I tried to get thru it because I was going to be sick. I didn't want to interrupt anything and have to stand there by myself. I finally get thru it... take off the helmet, and he's already at the exit because he got off early. I was soooooooo sick. I tried to brave it out and it came back to bite me. Let's just say.... so much for that fried lunch I just had. I've never had motion sickness before so this feeling was new... and it lasted over 4 hours. I wasn't sure I had ever been so miserable before. So he got me a sprite and I played Frogger and pinball... we couldn't really do anything else so we decided to spend the rest of our money since we were leaving the next day. We did a good job of that :) After we drained our Disney Debit Card, lol... we caught the bus back to the room to get ready for Jiko. Our last dinner before we leave! Coming up next!!!

We got up and had breakfast from the lounge, and went to Typhoon Lagoon for about an hour, came back, got changed and hopped the bus to Downtown Disney for our lunch reservation. We were seated quickly, it was pretty empty.

Our waiter brought me us iced teas and he got a beer too. Here is the yummy bread they brought. The oil has a sugar reduction in it and when you dip the soda bread in.... oh my. I am NOT an oil person, and this was great.

IMG_2017.jpg

For appies, I got the Scallop Forest, and he got the wings. The scallops were huge and delish! I could have had this for my meal it was so filling. He liked his wings a lot. The lady next to us got the ribs, and he things his wings looked better.

IMG_2018.jpg

For the entree... I had to be child, lol. I asked if I could have the kid's chicken fingers. I had had so many complex meals, all I wanted was my "standby." Much to my surprise, they actually had an adult Chicken and Chips that wasn't on the menu. Sweet!! Dave went with the Meatball Sub and Fries. Both were great! Fries were amazing! Very Very Big Portions!!!

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

We were so full, but decided to try dessert anyway! He got the dunbrody kiss dessert and I got the apple/strawberry crumble dessert. We nipped at them and decided to head over to DisneyQuest. This was a great meal.... we will be back for sure!!

The unfortunate detail :( We had never been to DisneyQuest before. We got there and did the Mighty Ducks pinball, which I liked, but I was like... ugh I just ate. So we decided to knock all the big attractions out first. After pinball we went to Ride the Comix. They clearly said if you get sick, take the helmet off and exit. Well I knew immediately this was not for me!! I tried to get thru it because I was going to be sick. I didn't want to interrupt anything and have to stand there by myself. I finally get thru it... take off the helmet, and he's already at the exit because he got off early. I was soooooooo sick. I tried to brave it out and it came back to bite me. Let's just say.... so much for that fried lunch I just had. I've never had motion sickness before so this feeling was new... and it lasted over 4 hours. I wasn't sure I had ever been so miserable before. So he got me a sprite and I played Frogger and pinball... we couldn't really do anything else so we decided to spend the rest of our money since we were leaving the next day. We did a good job of that :) After we drained our Disney Debit Card, lol... we caught the bus back to the room to get ready for Jiko. Our last dinner before we leave! Coming up next!!!

OH NOOOOO!!!!!!!! That sounds terrible!!! The motion sickness that is. And losing that yummy friend lunch! NOOOO!! Sooo sorry mama!!!

The review was great though! I feel terrible for you! :sick: :sad2:

After a re-group back at the room, I got my motion sickness under control and I was ready to try another meal. I was super excited for tonights meal. We figured the quickest way from the Yacht Club to AKL was to take the boat to Hollywood Studios and then the bus to the resort. It was long, but we expected that. We had never been there and we got a little lost trying to find it... but we got there, ended up being about 5 minutes late :( We got there, they gave us a buzzer and we took a walk around by the pool to check things out. We were seated in about 10 minutes. They reminded us it would be 2 credits, but delivered the message much nicer than Narcoossee's.

Eduarto was our server. We got iced teas and Dave tried an African beer called Tusker (which he really liked). For appies, we ordered BBQ Chicken Flatbread and the Taste of Africa. Both have come highly recommended so we had to try!!

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

The BBQ Chicken Flatbread was great!! It was pretty big.. the pic is after some was eaten. I'm a bread lover, but unfortunately, I didn't have a taste for any of these 3. I've heard lots of raves so I'm sure they're good--just not for me--but points that I tried!! I thought that there was a standard Jiko bread with delicious butter... but we didn't get that. We didn't see our waiter again till after our entrees were served (by someone else) and we were already well into eating so we didn't get to ask. (And you guessed it-by this time our drinks were empty) I was kinda mad. He had a big table behind us, and talked to another table of 2 about wine for a while, and never checked on us. Another table next to us saw the table of 2 with the wine got bread and they didn't so they caught him to ask. So we weren't the only ones left out. I really wanted to try it. Anywho... here's our steak:

IMG_2031.jpg

We both got the filet with mac & cheese. I got it sans red wine sauce. He insisted he bring it on the side for me to try... and Dave ended up dipping his in it. I don't like red wine... so I didn't like red wine sauce, lol. So the mac & cheese was super good. I ate most of it first. The steak was good, it was steak... but our cuts were very veiny, chewy and piecy. Probably the worst filet cut of the week. Even Le Cellier's cut was better, it was just over cooked. It should have been better. Our waiter checked on us once while we were eating. We were done eating for 20 minutes with plates pushed aside, drinks empty before he came around to ask what we wanted for dessert. We orderd them, I timed it... 32 minutes to prepare the dessert.

IMG_2032.jpg

I had the Jiko Trio... I ate all of them but the caramel ice cream--too weird for me. He had the lemon-white chocolate mousse. They were both just desserts. No woo-hoos, just sweet and wanting to get out of there.

Then I felt like I was in a "but wait! there's more commercial." popcorn::

They brought him another dessert (creme brulee) with a candle for his birthday, a card signed by the staff, and a few zebra domes to go.

IMG_2034.jpg

Not that it wasn't nice--it was so nice, and the card was neat! We just wanted to go, lol. We had pretty much planned 3 more vacations and named all of our un-born children during our time here. Yes it was quality time... but I could have standed some more quality time on test track and soarin princess:

Here was our major observation. The restaurant wasn't overly busy. Dave had one beer and that was it. I don't drink alcohol. Eduarto's attention was on all the tables that were drinking. Also the big table behind us that consisted of all women carrying designer purses. (I spotted at least 2 Louis V's at the table) I felt like we were just another table using DxDDP credits and they were doing less than the bare minimum since our bill wasn't racking up with alcohol. The sad thing is... I was watching other tables have great experiences. I think that it has potential to be amazing. We just wish that was us... I wanted to love love love this place. We are willing to give some of our "meh" experiences another shot--but AKL is just too far our to waste a trip on this again. Maybe if we stayed there--but we didn't love it all that much. Just too far away from everything. So anyway...

We did the whole check thing and bailed.

We were hoping since it was a 7:15 reservation that we would be well on our way out of there by 8:45. We left at 9:50, the bus came at 10:25 for Epcot's extra magic hours. We stopped thru Mexico (he wanted me to get a mini-sombrero for our yorkie... i declined, lol), I wanted a Kaki Gori, but it was closed. So we went over to Boulangerie Patisserie and I got a hot tea... he got a chocolate eclair. We decided to call it a night--the last night. We walked back to the Yacht Club and packed our bags. Very sad. There was a lot of stuffing, rolling and re-arranging. I shopped. I shopped lots.

Well it'll be our last day... Next Up: Sci Fi

Off Topic:
When we got home, Baxter was upset I didn't get him a sombrero. He gave me money for next time...

IMG_1085.jpg

He did however get new dog bowls and a doggie mat from World of Disney... so he did get something!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter