• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Two Delicious Birthdays - 8 Days DxDDP/CL - UPDATE 7/12 Sci Fi!!

Sorry your reviews are almost over-- I really enjoyed them!
Love that picture of your pup with the money! So cute!

Wow, I can't believe how long you were at Jiko! We've yet to try it for the same reason you cited, it's too far unless you're staying there. We'll give it a shot sometime when we stay at AKV and hopefully get good service. There's no excuse for the poor service you got.

Love the picture of your dog -- so cute!!!

The one thing that really bugs me is slow service, so I feel for you with the length of time you spent at Jiko....

I am looking forward to your Sci Fi review! I hope it's a good one.....

Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews and pictures!

I love your reviews! I totally understand where you are coming from with Yak and Yeti, the server that I had really rubbed me the wrong way but the food was good enough that we are returning on my next trip. I'm just gonna go in expecting annoying service and hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.
Sorry that Jiko was disappointing. I have been victim to the "you aren't getting wine so you aren't worthy" service in the past at other restaurants and it's really upsetting. My husband and I almost always get alcohol with our meals when we are alone but with the kids we sometimes skip the drinks. Now that I think about it, the Disney restaurants where I got the service where the ones where I ordered wine.
I love the photo of your Yorkie!

I adore your Yorkie! So cute!

Sorry Jiko was so slow for you! We have an ADR there for our December trip and I'm hoping it won't be too bad because I want to get out and see the parks. There is nothing I detest more than unreasonably slow service. I'm really impatient to begin with though. I don't mind a nicely paced dinner and I really don't want courses coming out on top of each other, but waiting half an hour for dessert? No way!

Just caught up and love your reviews :goodvibes

I really want to try Jiko as the food looks great but it sounds like your service was really poor :sad2:

Just because you weren't ordering wine shouldn't mean that you should get less attention that others :confused3

Well, I'm a bit late to join in, but I've just read all your reviews so I'm up-to-date. :thumbsup2

I'm really sorry that you had less than stellar experiences at Le Cellier, Narcoosee's and Jiko. We've never tried either (I'm a picky eater, too) and I'm really not in a hurry to try them anytime soon.

However, I am convinced that we need to try Yachtsman's Steakhouse now just based on your review alone! :goodvibes

I :rotfl2: at your comments about the Dyson driers - they are quite common at the malls near us.

It's our last day!! We nibbled at club level offerings for breakfast, had bell services get our stuff checked, etc and we took the boat over to Hollywood Studios. We rode a few rides, checked out a few shops and by that time we were ready to make our way to Sci Fi. We were there a bit before opening. We requested a round picnic table in the back. If we had kids or something the cars would be fun, but they are just to close for my liking--I'd rather be comfy when I eat. We waited till about 5 minutes after opening and our names were called. We were seated in a car... and the restaurant was about empty. I asked to be moved and we were. No big deal, I know requests are requests, but there were barely 6 parties in the restaurant so it wasn't like it wasn't available.

We ordered cherry cokes, he got a chocolate milkshake and I got an oreo milkshake. He didn't charge us extra at all! I was shocked!! I had tons of cherry cokes. They were yumm!! I didn't do too well on my milkshake, it was very thick and it was too hot out for me to want the dairy. However Dave made his disappear, lol.

IMG_2044.jpg

For appies, we both got onion rings and they were super yum! Very crispy, but next time I want to dry the dip I think.

IMG_2046.jpg

Entrees are next:
I got the turkey sandwich with no lettuce, no mayo and fries. He got a burger and fries. Both were great, basic lunches. Very nice compared to the fancy and different dishes we had all week.

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

The movie slides were fun. We remembered some of them from when we were little. Such a cute place, and we enjoyed sitting in the back watching everything. Next up... dessert!!

He got a hot fudge sundae and pretty much licked the glass clean :)

IMG_2049.jpg

I ordered the peanut butter chocolate cake that I have been wanting since I saw the menu online. I was hoping it was like the one I had at the Crystal Palace buffet. Here is the description on the menu:

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Cake - Warm chocolate cake with a creamy peanut butter center served a la mode $7.99

So I get my plate:

IMG_2050.jpg

The walnuts were originally decorated around the cake, but I freaked out and mid-panic attack I remembered to take a pic. I calmed down, pushed them all to one side and decided to just forget they were there and to eat the delicious cake. I took a bite, expecting soft, warm cake... and there was something hard, ooooooooh nooooooo!!! There were crushed walnuts all through the cake.

If you didn't read my beginning, I'm highly allergic to tree nuts. No where in that description did it mention a nut, or the fact that this dessert was 1/2 nuts. You would assume if the plate AND cake was full of nuts, you may want to mention it in the menu. Our waiter came by with the check and I advised I was allergic to nuts, as I pushed the dish away. He didn't offer to replace it, but I didn't care at that point because I was freaking out... and rather full from my meal. We also had some snack credits left. I just wanted out of there.

We stopped by a few shops on the way out, got some cotton candy, rock candy and rice crispy treats for the way home. We got back to the Yacht Club in time to get our bags, get on the Magical Express and make it to the airport.

By the time we were on the plane, I had itchy hives everywhere. Great. That was from one bite. If I had more, my throat would have been a complete mess.

All in all... Sci Fi was good. I'd go back in time... there's just a bunch of others I would try and repeat first. I just wish I would have known about the nuts--but now I know... and I told you... so now YOU know, lol. If you want a sit down burger, fries and shake... this is the place for you!!

Well this was our last meal :(

Coming Up:
*Club Level Offerings
*Rankings and Final Thoughts
*November 10-16 Preview!!

So sorry about the walnuts!! Really, with so many people having nut allergies, it's something that should be in the menu description.

Great reviews! Thanks for sharing!

Disneyfail on the way they handled the dessert. They should have been jumping through hoops to apologize when they found out about your allergies.

I had the chocolate peanut butter cake last trip. I'd heard good things about it but I was slightly disappointed. I was expecting something more like a lava cake. You know, chocolate cake oozing peanut butter. It was dark in there and I couldn't make out what I was eating. But there was no warm peanut butter. As you described, the dessert was oddly crunchy. Must have been the nuts. Good thing I'm not allergic.

You would think if anything it would be a peanut?? At least I can have them... Just not tree nuts like walnuts, almonds, pecans etc. Lol oh well.

Sci-Fi definately dropped the ball on your allergy issues there. :sad2:

Looking forward to your final thoughts about dining around WDW.

I'm at work, so I can't get my pix on here for club level... but I'll move forward with the rankings/final reviews. These are collaborations from the two of us:

Breakfast:
If I could take the Cape May Food, and implant it into the Tusker House setting and festivities... we would have the PERFECT breakfast. I'm not as adventurous as all of the Tusker House food was, but I did love it. Dave's favorite was the Kona Steak for breakfast, and I admit Kona coffee is a weakness of mine.

We'll call breakfast a 3 way tie. We are repeating Kona for Breakfast in November.

Lunch:

We had: Liberty Tree Tavern, Big River Grille, Mama Melrose, Nine Dragons, Sci Fi, Yak n Yeti, Raglan Road, 50s Prime Time

Winning Appies were:

Liberty Tree Tavern - Tavern Fried Cheese (Winner)
Big River Grille - Beef/Chicken Nachos
Nine Dragons - Egg Rolls
Raglan Road - Scallop Forest - Wings

Winning Entrees:

Big River Grille- Steak and Shrimp Combo
Mama Melrose - Chicken Parm (Winner)
Yak n Yeti - BBQ Ribs
Nine Dragons - Fried Rice

Winning Desserts:

Liberty Tree Tavern - Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake (Winner)
Mama Melrose - Tiramisu Sundae
Mama Melrose - Chocolate Gelato (Sorry I'm plain)
Big River Grille - Chocolate Cake

Overall... We loved Liberty Tree, Big River, Mama Melrose and Nine Dragons. They are going in our rotation... YAY! We will also return to Yak n Yeti and Raglan at some point :) In November, we are returning to Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch... but allowing the other slots for new experiences :)

Dinner

We had: LeCellier, Akershus, Narcoossee's, Yachtsman, Captain's Grille, Chefs de France, and Jiko.

Winning Appies:
Le Cellier - Cheddar Cheese Soup (David's Best Soup Ever Winner, lol)
Yachtsman - Chicken Noodle Soup
Captain's Grille - Crab Cake (Deena's Best Crab Cake Ever Winner, lol)
Chefs de France - Onion Soup

Winning Entrees:
Yachtsman - Filet
Yachtsman - Porterhouse
Captain's Grille - Pork Chop
Captain's Grille - Crab Legs
------We can't pick a winner here. They were 2 of the best meals we've ever had.

Winning Desserts:
Yachtsman - Yachtsman Sundae (Winner)
Le Cellier - Whiskey Cake

It's inevitable that Yachtsman and Captain's Grille are our FAVES!! We will be making an appearance at both in November. Although we had a rough experience at LeCellier, we are hoping to give it a second chance for lunch sometime. We probably wont make it back to Akershus unless we have a little girl. We have no desire to go back to Jiko or Narcoossee's. We will also go back to Chefs de France sometime. Maybe for lunch to see Remy :)

I did the figures at one point to see what we saved and it was over $700. That is crazy for 2 people!! Of course there was a lot of trying things we wouldn't have ordered otherwise, and plates left empty--but it's all about the experience. We had fun and thats all that matters! We found a few hidden gems that we took a chance on (Captain's Grille, Big River Grille, Nine Dragons), and we found that some didn't live up to the hype for us (Narcoossee's / Jiko). The DxDDP is way to go for us, and despite people saying Club Level is too much with it... we loved it. I like walking a few feet in the morning before I'm ready to get some tea, or grabbing a quick Sprite before my afternoon nap.... and I also enjoyed the fact I wasn't getting dinged $6 a beer everytime he wanted one, lol.

Well that's about it!! There's our trip. I plan on adding the CL pix soon, and starting our Pre-Trip for November. Of course there will be pix involved. It will be madness... 6 nights, 7 days, DxDDP, Club Level, Food & Wine Festival, Festival of the Masters, MVMCP. I can't wait. Thanks for joining in!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter