Things to do before you go to Disney!

This is one of our best tips we have used over the years......A COUPLE OF MONTHS BEFORE YOU GO (EVEN IF YOU ARE IN SHAPE) START WALKING AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!! It sure helps getting into that disney mode. :) :) :)
HAVE A GREAT TIME AND MAKE LOTS OF MEMORIES!!!

This is an awesome topic. I hope you will get all the ideas together and post them.

My contribution... Break in your shoes!!! Do not go with brand new out of the box shoes you will regret it.:scared1:

All of the previous suggestions are great! Don't forget the week before you go to verify all of your reservations i.e. limo to airport (if you use one), and make sure you have other travel docs printed out!

That's all I can think of that hasn't been covered already (and mine may have I just can't remember them all)

I dont know if you are flying or driving. But if you are flying one of the things I tell my family is to wear flip flops or easy slip on slip off shoes for airport security. There is nothing worse than being at the airport and trying to get your shoes and socks on while people behind are ready to go, especially if you have kids.

Make sure your alarm clock is in your luggage, NOT your carry-on. It registers on the security scanner and then they pull you out of line and do the full luggage and full body scan :sad2:

We have 2 cats and even though we have very reliable pet-sitters, we make sure that a bathroom door is propped open and the toilet lid is up, just in case something happens and the cats are not cared for. This is especially important in the summer. A corollary to this is to make sure room doors are either closed tightly or propped slightly (we usually put towels over the top of the door) to prevent a pet from accidentally being closed in a room (especially if the windows are open a crack) :eek:.

Make sure tickets are physically ON your person or IN your pocket before leaving home. I learned this the hard way, by leaving my purse (which I don't usually carry) in the taxi that took us to the airport. Didn't know I could run that fast :lmao: (YES, I caught the cab!)

Unplug everything you can- TV's, computers, small appliances, etc. No sense wasting electricity when you are away.

Put extra camera batteries in your suitcase, extra memory card, gum, I write my ressie info each on their own card and that way, I only need to take one with me, for the cat lovers, excuse this next one, BUT I always put bleach in my toilet before I leave home....I also write down everything that is in my checked luggage in case it gets lost and I need to file a form for lost luggage..put that advil or tylenol in your carry on bag in the origianl container....if you take regular meds, be sure that you have a list in your wallet or whatever you will be carrying everyday. also, the name and phone number of your drug store, in case of Emergency. If I think of anything else, I will pop back here:) Also, I keep a list of who I am traveling with and where we are going along with an emergency number for someone to call if need be..

Agree with last poster, if you have prescription medications keep a list of them and how much of each you take in your wallet or purse. I also have why I take each medication next to it on the list as an added precaution. I think this is a good idea for everyday life actually, in case something happened where you couldn't communicate to an EMT or Dr. My next Disney trip will be with a non family member, and while she knows a couple of my issues, she wouldn't know my meds or anything so I'll be giving her a copy of my list as well.

1- Put your mail on hold until you get home same with newspaper delivery
2- arrange to have someone cut your lawn if you have one
Don't want to signal your absence
3-make sure you bring your cell phone charger, camcorder charger these things I always put in a side pocket of a bag the last minutes before walking out the door

If you wear contact lenses, make sure to have an extra set ordered before the trip. If you lose the contacts at the park or waterpark without a backup pair it could get miserable!

Thanks for all the great ideas! I especially like the one that says of taking a picture on my camera with my resort name, phone number, etc.

Thanks to all that contributed, let's keep this going...!!

We have 2 cats and even though we have very reliable pet-sitters, we make sure that a bathroom door is propped open and the toilet lid is up, just in case something happens and the cats are not cared for. This is especially important in the summer. A corollary to this is to make sure room doors are either closed tightly or propped slightly (we usually put towels over the top of the door) to prevent a pet from accidentally being closed in a room (especially if the windows are open a crack) :eek:.

This is so true! This happened to us once - we had double-hung windows, opened just a crack at the top. It was enough to blow our bedroom door shut, with the cats inside! Luckily, we were only gone overnight, and they did have access to water (in the toilet!) but they didn't have a litter box. The cats were quite creative, though - they used our bed as their litter box, and carefully pulled the edges of the comforter over their "mess". (At least we could wash the comforter and sheets!)

Now I totally prop open every single door when traveling, and do a "nose count" before I leave!

I thought of two more things:

As you're packing, put some of each person's clothes into the other person's suitcase. That way, if someone's luggage gets lost, they'll have some of their stuff!

And don't forget to pack your prescription meds in your carry-on. My cousin was visiting me once, and had foolishly packed her Rx in her checked bag. Of course, the airline lost the bag, and we had to make an 11:30 pm trek to a 24-hour Walgreen's to get an "emergency" supply of her blood pressure meds. And I had to work the next morning - what a pain!

Hope none are repeats, you've gotten some good ones.

We make 2 copies of everything: insurance cards, credit cards, etc, and keep them in the safe in the room and in the glove box.

Make sure all appliances are shut off, unplugged if possible.

Make sure windows are all locked, no water is dripping anywhere, lights off, AC turned down or off...

Give neighbor numbers for you if emergency.

Water everything.

Pet care.

I totally agree with the cleaning. I've stayed up all night to make sure towels are washed before we go! I even pour pine sol in the toilets so the house smells better when we get back!

Double check your packing list.

Watch videos of rides on you tube!

Make a budget. Think about what souvenirs you really,really want. For me, I have to buy something with the castle on it every year. Last year, I also wanted the wishes soundtrack.

If you are into pressed pennies, clean some up with tabasco and/or ketchup.

Charge camera batteries. Get a new memory card. Charge all electronics you will be taking with you.

Alert bank you will be traveling, so if they see some mega out of town charges, they'll know what to expect.

If you want to order any surprises: cakes, florist, etc. My girls love the slipper dessert that is at CRT and 1900 Park Faire.

Pack your park bag, so you are ready to hit the parks when you get there.

Make room requests if you want to, confirm all ADR's and room. You'll feel better!

Come up with whatever system works for you for your itinerary. Make a couple of copies. I have an ipod touch, and we load everything onto it via air sharing.

Make sure your children have flushed the toilets. :scared1:

Make sure the toilets have stopped running before you walk out of the house. One of the Doctor's I work for flushed a toilet right as they were walking out the door for vacation and he came back to a flooded house. I always wait for our toilets to stop running now before I go anywhere-even if I'm just running next door for a minute.

I always put some fabric softner sheets in my luggage, keeps things fresh and good for when you get to the hotel. Put the sheet in the drawers and closet at the hotel to keep your clothes fresh. Also good for the trip home if you have dirty laundry, cuts down on the smell :)

Thought of another pretty good tip!

Make sure you get singles out of the bank before you go to pay tips with!
Most ATMs in Disney charge you and I don't even think they give you singles,
So don't forget to pack them in your wallet!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter