Remote work

Wendy1985

Loves everything fitness
What is everyone’s thoughts on it I love it but I understand why it might hurt a business or two but I can ague that as well

lunch places are concert I get it dh and I buy our Groceries and eat at home but sometimes we will run to the out door mall and grab lunch as a treat

I love remote work. I don't see the need to regularly go into the office ever again. Not having to drive 2.5-3 hours a day is wonderful!

I have realized, though, that the one thing I do miss is the "feeling" of coming home, but I'm still pro-remote.

I thought as an introvert I would enjoy remote work more than I did. When we went remote, we all basically did our own thing. There was no collaboration or brainstorming anymore. I missed that. Now that I am looking for work again, I am focusing on hybrid or in person positions, but would take remote if I have to.

I absolutely hate working from home. I had a nice, big, private office with a door that I could close when I needed to focus. I genuinely love the people I work with, and I miss hanging around with them every day. Work was a social experience for me, and I miss that.

I love remote work. I don't see the need to regularly go into the office ever again. Not having to drive 2.5-3 hours a day is wonderful!
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude but... why would you choose to live so far away from work?

I absolutely hate working from home. I had a nice, big, private office with a door that I could close when I needed to focus. I genuinely love the people I work with, and I miss hanging around with them every day. Work was a social experience for me, and I miss that.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude but... why would you choose to live so far away from work?
I work in public accounting. The client I currently work for is that far away. My actual office is closer but I don’t actually get to work there.

I live in a suburb of Orlando. Driving from my home to my last job took about an hour early in the morning, and about an hour and a half coming home at night. The neighborhoods close to our office location at the time were not as safe as I would have wanted, since I usually was leaving for work in the dark. I have lived in my home for a long time, and like where I live, but to get the good jobs you have to drive into Orlando. It’s easy to rack up more than two hours a day doing so.

I love being remote! Many reasons it works well for me are that I’m introverted and really need “my space,” it helps with other health issues I suffer (can manage better at home than an office) and my dogs are much happier to have me around :) They are lousy office mates but make me laugh a lot

Also if remote is Permanent my dh can take a job on the other side of the country without us moving it is a great company it employees are all on the spectrum like he is

I am pushing hard for a hybrid schedule with 2-3 days ons. There are some things that are easier to do in person, but the lack of commute and flexibility are amazing. (I also do not have kids, so my house if pretty quiet for working from home.)

If I had to pick 100% remote or 100% onsite, I would pick remote.

I pack lunches so me staying home would have minimal to zero impact on those businesses. Less gas, less wear and tear on my car, less wear and tear on roads.

I'm loving remote work and would like to do it forever! I hate my commute and never could afford to live closer to the job.

That said, I am a manager and am responsible for keeping my division going. It's really hard to train a new, youngish employee remote and have that feeling of "connection" that the rest of us achieved through being there in person. There is a group synergy that happens when you're together that we built over the years that has made it really easy to work remote. A lot of that is falling off with the new people.

It depends on the field, the job, and the role. We just had an imprompto meeting that had six or seven people in it. It started with three, then had to add some others to get their input, then had to others to get their input. What took about 20 minutes in person would have taken an hour+ to do remotely.

However, there are some jobs, even with my employer, that would work (and have been for 18 months) fully remote.

I’m not the OP but in my case traffic. I lived 30 miles from work. That 30 miles took 1 to 1.5 hours each way. Or I could go in at 5am and it was only 35 minutes but was always 1 to 1.5 on the way home.

I am part of the great resignation and used the pandemic to find a closer job. There are not as many tech jobs in the suburbs near me but I found one and will have a 1 hour round trip when or if in office is required.

I am in agreement with you. I count myself as lucky to have been able to have gone to work in person this entire time, as did our entire office for the most part. I would have gone stir crazy at home.

I have worked at home since 2016 at two different companies. I do not EVER want to work in the office again. I love working from home.

I loved it. Worked 7 months at home, then got called back in the building for 3 weeks around the November election, discovered how many distractions there were in the office. Back at home for 7 months after the election, still great. Back in the building for a month until I retired two weeks ago, same distractions. Company still evaluating Productivity and surprise how much more got done when people were working from home. Also discovering how much more it costs them to having employees in the building.

I’m not the OP but in my case traffic. I lived 30 miles from work. That 30 miles took 1 to 1.5 hours each way. Or I could go in at 5am and it was only 35 minutes but was always 1 to 1.5 on the way home.

I am part of the great resignation and used the pandemic to find a closer job. There are not as many tech jobs in the suburbs near me but I found one and will have a 1 hour round trip when or if in office is required.
I guess I've been lucky in the sense that I've always had a job *before* moving rather than having a home first, so I've always been able to deliberately buy a house close to work rather than trying to find a job close to where I already live.

Working from home eased my anxiety and frustration so much that my average blood pressure readings dropped from 125/85 to 109/75. I literally yelled "YIPPEE!" when they announced my department was staying in the work at home model. I already packed a lunch as was mentioned above so it's all gain. No commute, less gas, less wear and tear on my car, and a dog who is as happy as can be. Despite my having had a private office with a door there, being here is way less distracting. Our productivity as a group went up. They set my department up with a couple of shared offices for hoteling or training.

Returned back to work full-time remotely, after an unemployed time period, and working with a different organization. Pros are a better quality of life personally, which encompasses family quality of life also, but there are cons to remote on the work side of things I experience remotely that were better in person. I'd still choose remote. I would consider the office for a promotion opportunity if the commute were under 30 minutes, and that's very few locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter