Potentially new member - big philosophical question

TBH it was an emotional decision for me, the Disney lover, and I roped my husband into it. I recognized I could “get deluxe rooms for value/mod prices” but I also realized the added expense would be in a) initial buy-in and b) the other costs like tickets, airfare, etc. I live near major airports with lots of options and I often pay with points, but I’m still figuring out how to get points to cover park tickets haha.

We became owners of a resale contract in Dec 2021 and I keep track of all of our stays with my estimated lifetime dollar per point cost (which changes annually due to maintenance). Because we got a loaded contract, we’ll “break even” in the next year or two. I’m not about to incorporate the future value of money or draw comparisons between investing, because I don’t know any investment opportunities where I could invest the initial buy in cost and reliably and consistently recoup the cost of an annual vacation or two, though I’m sure I’m doing it wrong. Like in a lot of things, there are ways to make the math work for you or work against you, so my best advice to anyone is to set the parameters you’re comfortable with and go from there. Everyone’s methods are going to be different, because this is largely an emotional purchase.

We have enough points for now, but I’d like to upgrade to 2 bedrooms once a year eventually, which means we’ll need more points. We will probably make an emotionally-based purchase in that case too, but as long as my estimated lifetime dollar per point cost stays well below rental market average, I’d feel comfortable.

If my thinking is totally off base, please let me know!
I'd be inclined to include something to capture the time value of money--$1000 today is worth more than $50 a year for twenty years. Not doing that tends to bias in favor of DVC (which has a large up-front cost).

Not sure I've then this really mentioned in this thread, but a "negative" of DVC is that it requires advanced planning. You can't just decide 1, 2, or 3 months ahead of time to go on vacation. The rooms you want are likely unavailable. If you are unable to make plans at least 6 or 7 months in advance, then DVC won't make sense for you.

I remember my first WDW trip where I was on the ferry coming to MK for the first time, being 9 or so, and looking across at VGF and wondered what you had to do to stay at one of those. Our trips were always very low budget, off-site, with my dad doing crazy things to save a couple bucks (two layovers? Yes. The cheapest vrbo? Check. Off site questionable rental car agency? Also yes. ). Within a few years of that my family who we traveled with bought DVC and I was still jealous of the niceness and convenience of their trips 😁The DVC seed was planted there.

Pretty much the second I graduated nursing school and had the discretionary funds to do it we were in with a resale contract. My dad thought I was crazy🤪 (he does get to reap the benefits of going with)

What's funny is coming from a really penny pinching mindset I bought my 220 points thinking of how I would maximize it "with these I can go off season and it will get us 20+nights in an AKL Standard View " and very very quickly turned into "borrow everything, we're getting a 2 bedroom and bringing friends!". For me it's wierd because I never would have paid to stay on site in anything more than a moderate when the kids were little and then went to VRBO'S as we needed more space (I second the idea of not needing child chaperones on a vacation!). But I had a detailed spreadsheet and I was willing to do Mickey Math any way I needed to to make it work.

It's been 5ish years and the convenience of staying on site in condos compared to off site is huge. Plus you get all the 'bubble' feels and all. I have no regrets!

We bought two 200pt contracts in 2014 (resale). Our kids were 7 and 12 at the time.

Why did we buy? We had been visiting WDW every year (sometimes twice a year) since 2004. It made sense for us to buy because we didn't see that trend stopping. We could afford to pay cash, so it made sense to us. Two contracts allow us to leave each daughter a contract in our will.

What's changed as the kids have gotten older is that we stay in larger rooms now. There is no way we can go back to a regular hotel room. When we travel to destinations other than WDW, we get two rooms.

Was it financially savvy to buy? I don't know. I do know that we've made lots of great memories and continue to enjoy DVC today. DH and I are looking forward to going alone in the future once DD15 is in college. I don't see selling in the near future.

I think DVC is an emotional purchase. We travel so we can have fun as a family and make memories. There's nothing financial about that. Of course every family is different but visiting a public park for free to have fun and make memories and visiting WDW to do the same are equivalent. You don't need money or a fancy room to have a great time. It all depends on how you want to spend the money you have.

If Covid taught us anything it's to enjoy and appreciate what you have while you have it. If that means buying DVC for you, then I say "do it."

I have been considering DVC for some time and was dangerously close to making an offer on a resale contract last night (after multiple beers). However, I didn’t want to make a big financial commitment without being totally certain (and sober).

I consider myself a casual Disney fan; 38 years old with a wife and two kids (ages 3 and 1). I see a lot of Disney trips in my future, but probably just every-other-year or even every 3rd year. Even then DVC seems like it makes sense…

… until I ran the numbers on the spreadsheet. Assuming 3% inflation and room rates are always $500/nt (plus inflation) it just about breaks even after maintenance is factored in. It also assumes zero resale value which we know won’t be true (about 10 years would be left on the AKV/SSR contracts after my youngest are out of college).

This still feels like I would come out slightly ahead, staying in villas instead of studios, and give me the “peace of mind” knowing hotel prices are locked in for most of my adult life.

However, part of me is wondering if locking in now is during a historically expensive time.

My question is: why do you own DVC? Do you see it being financially savvy? Is it emotional (assurance, belonging to a group)?
I own because I wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian on vacation and knew that I would never pay the cash price to do so.

My travel habits have changed because I have moved closer to Orlando but I keep my points and always want more.

Owning DVC allowed me to have a Grand Villa at the Grand Floridian for several nights in late September/early October 2021 for the 50th Anniversary kick-off. Sitting on that balcony and watching/hearing the celebration on the night of September 30th and then being in the park on October 1st is something that I will always remember.

I keep looking for the downside, but I haven't found it yet, despite pouring over just about every thread there is. I guess I just need to find the right contract now! Actually two, despite everything about 2042, I have a very emotional attachment to the Crescent Lake area so maybe just a small one for the 11 month guarantee.
DVC has a lot of downside. I mean, I bought anyway, but they are pretty obvious. Extreme early planning and limited availability, housekeeping, general service level, location and condition of many properties, tons of inflexible rules, terrible website, opaque dues, I can keep going.

The downside that I hadn't considered as much is RISK. As resale prices are falling, falling, it's clear to me that Disney's decisions are impacting my five figure purchase, and those decisions keep coming. That doesn't feel good.

And the obvious mathematical comparison should be renting points at this point. Rental is undervalued for how much DVC costs right now, and sometimes way cheaper than cash.

Last edited:

DVC has a lot of downside. I mean, I bought anyway, but they are pretty obvious. Extreme early planning and limited availability, housekeeping, general service level, location and condition of many properties, tons of inflexible rules, terrible website, opaque dues, I can keep going.

The downside that I hadn't considered as much is risk. As resale prices are falling, falling, it's clear to me that Disney's decisions are impacting my five figure purchase, and those decisions keep coming. That doesn't feel good.

And the obvious mathematical comparison should be renting points at this point. Rental is undervalued for how much DVC costs right now, and sometimes way cheaper than cash.
when I started my research there were several people who recommended renting points instead of buying

It if didn’t have a unique situation of having what I consider free money that would probably have been the path I took

when I started my research there were several people who recommended renting points instead of buying

It if didn’t have a unique situation of having what I consider free money that would probably have been the path I took
Renting points comes with its own risks and challenges and whether renting is better than buying is matter of opinion, which is fine. Whatever works for the individual, right?

For my two cents I would zoom out and ask yourself if your financial situation allows for it regardless of the savings or the future outlook. I am the spreadsheet nut in my relationship and there are so many variables that can change. We bought 1 contract high and 2 others that appear to be great deals. Either way we enjoy the product and have stable jobs. If your situation allows I say treat yourself. As with many my only regret was not buying 2 years sooner.

I have been considering DVC for some time and was dangerously close to making an offer on a resale contract last night (after multiple beers). However, I didn’t want to make a big financial commitment without being totally certain (and sober).

I consider myself a casual Disney fan; 38 years old with a wife and two kids (ages 3 and 1). I see a lot of Disney trips in my future, but probably just every-other-year or even every 3rd year. Even then DVC seems like it makes sense…

… until I ran the numbers on the spreadsheet. Assuming 3% inflation and room rates are always $500/nt (plus inflation) it just about breaks even after maintenance is factored in. It also assumes zero resale value which we know won’t be true (about 10 years would be left on the AKV/SSR contracts after my youngest are out of college).

This still feels like I would come out slightly ahead, staying in villas instead of studios, and give me the “peace of mind” knowing hotel prices are locked in for most of my adult life.

However, part of me is wondering if locking in now is during a historically expensive time.

My question is: why do you own DVC? Do you see it being financially savvy? Is it emotional (assurance, belonging to a group)?
I just bought a BRV resale contract in August for $100 pp, know i got a great deal and sneaked past ROFR. My daughter just turned 4. The savings comes from deluxe resort at value prices and a protection from inflation. Also at her age i love being able to bring the grandparents on our trips and stay on property!

I also feel comfortable that Disney isn't something that is going to degrade in value like most other timeshares

The downside that I hadn't considered as much is RISK. As resale prices are falling, falling, it's clear to me that Disney's decisions are impacting my five figure purchase, and those decisions keep coming. That doesn't feel good.

This is the exact reason why so many here caution buyers about using and depending on resale value as part of the decision.

No matter what has happened in the past, DVD has always had the ability to make changes that can impact resale value.

ETA. And that started in 2012 when the first changes with restrictions to resale points…granted, not a huge los but still a move that DVD wanted resale to be inferior to direct.

Last edited:
tl; dr - DH and I both had (have) jobs that require advance planning to take a vacation. Before having kids (and we had kids quite late in our marriage), we'd just tag along on each others' work conferences, tacking on a long weekend before or after, and call it a vacation. This worked great except for the part where we got used to subsidized flights and upgraded/luxury accommodations...

I grew up going to WDW and DL as a kid in the 1970s and this was me...

I remember my first WDW trip where I was on the ferry coming to MK for the first time, being 9 or so, and looking across at VGF and wondered what you had to do to stay at one of those. Our trips were always very low budget, off-site, with my dad doing crazy things to save a couple bucks (two layovers? Yes. The cheapest vrbo? Check. Off site questionable rental car agency? Also yes. ). Within a few years of that my family who we traveled with bought DVC and I was still jealous of the niceness and convenience of their trips 😁The DVC seed was planted there.
... except the Grand Floridian hadn't been built yet, so we would take the monorail through the contemporary. VRBO didn't exist, but my parents did get the all "suite/efficiency units" that were a 20 minute drive from WDW, and it was like driving through Kansas farmland and then landing in Oz when we got onto WDW property.

In order to afford DVC without financing, DH and I put a lot of time and effort into our careers, and put off having kids for a long time. Even so, old frugal habits die hard. Before kids, we did a few cash stay offsite (hotels with the phone bolted to the end table, that made value WDW lodging look luxe), and onsite that were usually finding last-minute travel deals. While our kids were young and my parents were both with us, we did a few Disney trips at offsite timeshares (w my mom), and also a few Swan/Dolphin stays. Then we dipped a toe into renting, and I probably could have done that for a long time (back when rental rates through this board were $12-13/pp, those were the days!!). We stayed in a 2br at BLT with extended family at the beginning of my mom's long illness, and I saw the value of us all being in one large unit or close together.

Not long after that, rental prices went up and up, and Starwood merged with/into Marriott (and the points conversation wasn't so great). Also, we did appreciate not being in 1 hotel room with the kids. Because old frugal habits die hard, I know I never would have spent the cash to pay for a 1br or larger suite, but somehow I could do it if I were only spending "points" - and we do sometimes still stay all 4 of us in a studio (my kids are 11 and 7 now).

-------------------------------------------------

We added on several times, and now have 3 home resorts (BLT, VGF, RIV), but these are some of the more granular reasons why we bought DVC:

2. Location - you mention AKV/SSR so maybe this isn't important to you, but we wanted access to resorts neighboring parks, and other than swan/dolphin, you aren't going to stay in a park area without a stiff cash outlay. I know occasionally you can find good deals and packages, but the price per night at the contemporary or poly feels a lot worse than the points/dues costs. I know those rooms are higher points than an SSR, so it's all a cost analysis for what you may plan to buy.
BLT because of those monorail rides through the Contemporary when I was a kid. Also because at the time we bought, it was the only one that had a walking path to MK. Until recently, MK was our kids' favorite park, and we often took trips that avoided HS entirely. A lot of that has changed, which is part of why we bought RIV.

3. Motivation to travel - I like others on the board work a job where I could (and have) fall into the pit of not traveling if I don't have something booked. The booking windows personally help me make sure I'm taking the time to plan something.
Yes. And it starts the conversations with family and friends about thinking about dates/times we could make a trip happen. I have young nieces and nephews now, my dad, now a long-retired widower, has lots of flexibility, and I like that I can treat him to a Disney vacation with my kids. Last summer we were in a 2br and a studio at BCV and I am forever grateful to the CMs who put us in rooms across the hall. It was magical.
4. The ability to stay in 1/2br rooms truly changes the way we travel, and that's the big perk to us of DVC perhaps above all others. I simply would never pay cash for that type of room, maybe that's a mental block, but especially with a small kid, the larger villas were a big plus, and funny enough, one we thought we wouldn't care about (we laughed off a direct guide when he talked about this to us). The ability to stock up a fridge, do laundry, sleep in separate rooms, etc, just took so much stress out of our trips. We were the prototypical "we need more points" after our first 1br stay.
^^^ this was us also. I think we bought more points before we finished up our "let's rent for a few trips to decide on a home resort" plan and were already considering more points after our first points stay. (this is what happens when you buy a loaded contract- beware!)
Timeshare changes the way most people think about vacation. It doesn't make sense to use timeshare assets for much of anything other than vacation, and the use-it-or-lose-it nature of those assets tends to move vacations higher up the to-do list. And, to me, that's the real value of a timeshare: it encourages you to prioritize vacations.

I've owned timeshares for close to 15 years at this point, and am now up to five weeks (which, frankly, is probably at least one week too many). There is no way in the world I'd be taking as many vacations as I take now if I had to justify paying cash for each of them individually. But, the money I am spending is discretionary cash I can afford, and looking back on it, it's hard to imagine any better use for it.

So, yes, you might save money buying DVC. But, maybe that's not the reason to buy DVC.
Agree 100%. If we didn't get DVC, we'd be putting together last minute trips during school breaks, which is not exactly the best financial plan either. For this upcoming April break, we had originally booked a WDW stay (in case the older child's band group ended up going), then we thought we were going to CA to visit family and stay at VGC (we actually booked a rom at 7 mo) before changing our minds once again and modifying our stay to AUL. I do the vacation planning for the family - there is no way I would have done this if every trip involved researching and planning each now location. (And if my cancellation at 5-6 mo out helped you get your VGC room, you're welcome! 😁 )

We are now staying in an ocean view 1br at AUL - it's not available as a cash reservation, but the limited comparable hotel rooms at AUL and other resorts are around $1000/nt. We are having a vastly different experience than if I were to pay cash - which would have involved renting a vrbo that was a drive from the beach etc etc etc .... I mean, yes I'm sort of saving money, but not, but I am having a much more luxe vacation than I ordinarily would pay for.

(My parents had a regular style timeshare (RCI?) and we did get Hawaii condos but they were nowhere near as nice, and I remember my mom stalking and calling and writing (no internet) 12-13 months in advance. For all I know she was doing the old school version of walking a reservation.) 😜
I have a question about using DVC points to use for other timeshare vacations. My understanding is that it is not the best use of points but in my situation a big reason I am buying is to ultimately pass it to my daughter for her use. Once it is hers with the obligation to only pay maintenance fees (with money left to her) getting the most efficient use would be great but is there enough value in using points in the timeshare market to see that as a decent benefit?

Would the value be worth at least the maintenance fee?
I think that is our plan with our kids too, to leave the contracts to them and with some $ to pay the maintenance fees. As for using the points elsewhere, we explored doing this with resale contracts we bought with expiring points, and always ended up deciding to rent out those points instead, and use the money elsewhere. I know Disney touts that as a benefit, but it's been pretty easy to rent out the points and just use that money toward travel.
Is the Swan/Dolphin room price significantly higher for the equivalent of a 1 or 2 bedroom?

Do they even have the equivalent room style?
in short, no - the suites we have looked at don't usually sleep the additional people in the living room, if at all. There is also no kitchen or laundry. So it's not really equivalent. I was looking at Swolphin rates recently and they seem to be very high. Pre-pandemic it was pretty easy to find rooms under $300 and sometimes under $200. We have a lot of Marriott points, so we've stayed there with the kids and had some great views. But at best - Swan hotel rooms are 2Q beds in a hotel room that has, at most 2 sinks, 1 toilet and a shower tub combo. the layout with the bathroom made it hard for more than 2 people to use the space at the same time.
I think this time I may actually jump in because I see this as an investment - in ME. WDW truly is my happy place. It's where I go on happy days and sad days, and I can spend the day without going on a single ride and feel all my stress drain away. I've even been stuck working through half my Disney vacation but knowing at the end of the day, I can still get in 4-6 park hours still made the day end on a high note. It's been 7 weeks since my last trip and I feel it. It's so easy to cancel a park reservation if something comes up, but having a stay? I think I might actually take more of my PTO!

I keep looking for the downside, but I haven't found it yet, despite pouring over just about every thread there is. I guess I just need to find the right contract now! Actually two, despite everything about 2042, I have a very emotional attachment to the Crescent Lake area so maybe just a small one for the 11 month guarantee.

I think this encapsulates my feelings about DVC now - no doubt things have changed a lot since we bought in 2017, since we were renting and staying at Swan/Dolphin in 2013 - 2017, but so have our priorities. I'm really feeling like time with our kids is even more precious than before. During the pandemic, Disney was my happy escape. While it may not feel quite as magical as it did when the kids were tiny little, it's still our place for happy family time. Even though we do go to other places for vacation, my kids still love going and DH and I enjoy things beyond the parks now too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter