POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #8~July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
smidgy said:
we have OFTEN checked in super early.. granted, we hang by the pool, don't go to a park. you have apoint there. but when we check in they tell us the "general area" of the room.....they usually draw a circle on the map of where it is. so that's enough for us. if we don't like it, we say, "hhmm, what else ya got?"
we also walk over to the area and check out the possibilities. once we have done that, there were a few times we went back and siad, "sorry, do you have something else? we don't like....." we have done this a few times, and it always works.

also there are 2 ponderosas on 192 (have never been to any on International drive) but we thought they were pretty good. of course, not on par with yachtsman's or Le Cellier, but fine for the price. better than McDonalds.

but there are other dining option (not that Ponderosa is "dining"..lol), such as Old Town.

Don't want to argue the points was just trying to point out a different perspective and what 'can' happen when you go to the park. That's interesting that they would tell you the area. Although, yeah I have had that happen too! Heck I once checked in, and told the CM my room number! Boy was she pissed!! My stay before that one there had been some issues. With check-in and room assignments etc...so I called multiple times before my arrival next trip (3 weeks out, 10 days out-that's when they potentionally start assigning rooms, 3 days out) well on my last call the CM said, "you are in room XXXX, are you okay with that location? It met every one of your requests." I responded back, "that is PERFECT! Please don't give it to anyone else! I am thrilled!" She said, "I noted DO NOT MOVE GUEST on your ressie." I know the resort like the back of my hand to know if the location would work or not, so it was perfect!! Anyhoo when I checking in I accidentally slipped and said to the CM " I am in room XXXX still, right?" Boy was she pissed that I knew my room number ahead of time!!! ROFLOL!!!

And as far as the Ponderosa....
Mmmm....I'm not the best w/ road names out of state so maybe it was I92 not international dr. All I do know is I have only eaten at one....multiple times...and let's just say, we are done with that one! ;)
We used to have a Ponderosa here where we live and I loved going there as a kid so it was kinda fun taking MY kids to one, but Alas....it's just not the same type of Ponderosa it was years ago. And honestly, I took my DD (who's a CM) to Yatchsmann earlier this year and NEITHER of us were impressed! Frankly We were really disappointed! :( Our steaks were overcooked, the potatoes were bland at best, and the service was mediocre. Thank Goodness we were on the dining plan and I had gotten for the CM rate of 19.99/night or I would have been really annoyed! But I figured after you backed out the cost of a snack & CS meal....well, it wasn't the end of the world. But we won't be rushing back there to eat!! The Food quality was poor IMO for a siggie restaurant!! But to each his/her own as to what they like in a disney restaurant...that one just definitely doesn't make our list!! :)

I have a work conference in February in Orlando and to me that's nothing short of a perfect opportunity to use our AP's one last time before they expire in March. I'd booked us for Pop as usual but now with the news that Pop guests will be losing FP- starting this Thursday, I'm so nervous about it. I'm wondering how many other resorts this will have expanded to by February. I'm interested to hear how people at Pop are/aren't affected by it. I was hoping to show two coworkers around WDW for their first times ever, but the thought of having no FP- and having to coordinate other people's FP+ ... ugh!
You still should be able to get FP+ through the MDE site with the magic bands. The only thing not going to be available is the KTTW card meaning no paper fast passes. We just returned from Pop and actually still had both magic bands and cards. We never used the cards. The bands with the flexibility of changing FP and plans on the MDE site worked great for us. Hope you have a great trip!

We are currently booked at the Dolphin but considering a switch to the Pop since the Dolphin FP system sounds like a mess, especially since we will be traveling during a very busy time. It would be nice to have FP+ and make our plans ahead of time rather than waiting until the day of to see whether we can actually ride what we want (yes, I know that's how the old system worked, but there were always FP available for the rides we like and it sounds like that isn't the case anymore).

Anyway, my main hesitation with switching to the Pop is a concern about the bus system and the food court. Our last stay was at POR and the bus system drove me nuts. We waited so long, rode all around the resort, it just really annoyed me. Also the food court at POR was a nightmare. We waited SO LONG for food, it really was unreal. As much as we liked the rest of the resort, we can't go back there because of the food court.

So what can you all tell me about the food court and bus system at Pop? We stayed there a few years ago but it was a quick one nighter, so we really didn't do much at the resort. This will be another quickie (4 nights) but we will definitely be using the food court and buses daily. I dread another nightmare situation.

And if the Pop isn't a good choice for us, is there another value or moderate that might have good food service and good bus service, especially during the busiest season?

Hi.

We are here now. 50's building 2. No new bedding but new fridge. Only issues: seems far to the buses (w/a 4 yr old in tow) & a roach was there to greet my sis when she turned her bed down last night! Ah and I learned to either pack what I need the 1st night in my carry on OR not use DME for the luggage pick up. Our bags took over 5 hrs to get to the room.

Other than that, our room is fairly quiet tho I do miss the usual "hum" that other hotel A/Cs provide.

I'm not sure if it was a DISer or someone back home, but we came back to a sweet surprise in our room last night. Ethan was elated to find a basket with Minnie, Mickey, art supplies and a few other things. Words can't express how hard this trip is for me (today was my birthday, too). Thankfully, some sweet CMs & friends have made it magical for Ethan (which helped my heart a bit) but I still catch myself wanting to share each moment with my sweet DH. I still can't believe he's gone. My heart...

Anyway, just wanted to check in.

nancy drew said:
We are currently booked at the Dolphin but considering a switch to the Pop since the Dolphin FP system sounds like a mess, especially since we will be traveling during a very busy time. It would be nice to have FP+ and make our plans ahead of time rather than waiting until the day of to see whether we can actually ride what we want (yes, I know that's how the old system worked, but there were always FP available for the rides we like and it sounds like that isn't the case anymore).

Anyway, my main hesitation with switching to the Pop is a concern about the bus system and the food court. Our last stay was at POR and the bus system drove me nuts. We waited so long, rode all around the resort, it just really annoyed me. Also the food court at POR was a nightmare. We waited SO LONG for food, it really was unreal. As much as we liked the rest of the resort, we can't go back there because of the food court.

So what can you all tell me about the food court and bus system at Pop? We stayed there a few years ago but it was a quick one nighter, so we really didn't do much at the resort. This will be another quickie (4 nights) but we will definitely be using the food court and buses daily. I dread another nightmare situation.

And if the Pop isn't a good choice for us, is there another value or moderate that might have good food service and good bus service, especially during the busiest season?

I have stayed at POP 38 nights just this year (visiting DD as a CM) and over 120 nights collectively. I think you will be hard pressed to find a resort that has BETTER bus service than POP. There is only 1 bus stop and it really doesn't share a bus (on RARE occasion it may stop at AoA but that is extremely RARE!!) The disadvantage is the bus stop for POP at the parks is 'usually' the furtherest one out. Another possible advantage depending on your room location such as bldgs 3, 4 & 5...they are very close to the bridge and AoA and if you are headed out of a park and see and AoA bus I would not hesitate to hop on that AoA bus and just walk across the bridge to POP. It is a VERY short walk to bldgs 3, 4 & 5!! The AoA bus stop tends to be next to the POP bus stop.

The Food Court....
I personally have not encountered the food court at the hectic times people speak of but... That is not to say they don't exist, but I have yet to witness it! ;)
If I have waited for food, it is because it was a special order. Or there are a few things like the reuben (my DD loved that) that are made when ordered but it wasn't a really long wait, maybe 5 min? Another pro, you have the option of another food court with additional choices just across the bridge at AoA! And you can hop on a bus to a park right from there too!! Or you can stop and eat there before heading back to your room.... POP and AoA's food courts are quite different, so you would have the benefit of two different sets of choices at your fingertips!
I hope that gave you some of the info you were looking for...and good luck with your decision! :)

Well, now I definitely want to try the food court a AofA! Good thing I requested a room near the bridge. :)

I have stayed at POP 38 nights just this year (visiting DD as a CM) and over 120 nights collectively. I think you will be hard pressed to find a resort that has BETTER bus service than POP. There is only 1 bus stop and it really doesn't share a bus (on RARE occasion it may stop at AoA but that is extremely RARE!!) The disadvantage is the bus stop for POP at the parks is 'usually' the furtherest one out. Another possible advantage depending on your room location such as bldgs 3, 4 & 5...they are very close to the bridge and AoA and if you are headed out of a park and see and AoA bus I would not hesitate to hop on that AoA bus and just walk across the bridge to POP. It is a VERY short walk to bldgs 3, 4 & 5!! The AoA bus stop tends to be next to the POP bus stop.

The Food Court....
I personally have not encountered the food court at the hectic times people speak of but... That is not to say they don't exist, but I have yet to witness it! ;)
If I have waited for food, it is because it was a special order. Or there are a few things like the reuben (my DD loved that) that are made when ordered but it wasn't a really long wait, maybe 5 min? Another pro, you have the option of another food court with additional choices just across the bridge at AoA! And you can hop on a bus to a park right from there too!! Or you can stop and eat there before heading back to your room.... POP and AoA's food courts are quite different, so you would have the benefit of two different sets of choices at your fingertips!
I hope that gave you some of the info you were looking for...and good luck with your decision! :)

I agree with you 100%. :thumbsup2

Pop and AofA buses are always plentiful and I love the option of hopping on which ever bus I see first at the parks. :)

I also love being able to easily walk between food courts. I never found either food courts to be crazy/busy, but I'm sure there are times that they are.

Good morning!

We leave tomorrow for our DW vacation and our POP stay :banana::banana:

If we are doing breakfast at the Grand Floridian at 10 (probably taking a cab for that), then want to head to DTD before MVMCP, how long should we give ourselves if we are taking a bus from DTD to MK? Our dinner reservation is for 4:20pm.

Thanks!!! :love:

Here now!! Yippie!!! In 60s section. Fridge but no new bedding. Got all my request. Got in yesterday and got a quick bite at POPs food court. Food court a bit disappointing to me though- extremely slow service- was not busy at all and our food was cold and not that great :( but that's ok!!!! We will try AOA sometime this week. Here's a tip- I brought "to go coffee" cups with lids for the refillable mug for my coffee. I just brought my mug down with me so they know I get the coffee. I just can't drink out of plastic! Yuck! Haha . I went back and forth about bringing a coffee pot for my room and opted not to and luckily the coffee is really decent for me anyways.

These reviews and insites have helped me so I wanted to contribute! :)

My kids are having so much fun in POPs game room!!!!

Hi.

We are here now. 50's building 2. No new bedding but new fridge. Only issues: seems far to the buses (w/a 4 yr old in tow) & a roach was there to greet my sis when she turned her bed down last night! Ah and I learned to either pack what I need the 1st night in my carry on OR not use DME for the luggage pick up. Our bags took over 5 hrs to get to the room.

Other than that, our room is fairly quiet tho I do miss the usual "hum" that other hotel A/Cs provide.

I'm not sure if it was a DISer or someone back home, but we came back to a sweet surprise in our room last night. Ethan was elated to find a basket with Minnie, Mickey, art supplies and a few other things. Words can't express how hard this trip is for me (today was my birthday, too). Thankfully, some sweet CMs & friends have made it magical for Ethan (which helped my heart a bit) but I still catch myself wanting to share each moment with my sweet DH. I still can't believe he's gone. My heart...

Anyway, just wanted to check in.

Hey there my friend, so glad to hear you are there safe and sound. Happy birthday as well. Make sure you do share those things, he is still with you and Ethan. Have a magical time and allow yourself to have some fun. Enjoy the pixie dust.

Xo

We are here now. 50's building 2. No new bedding but new fridge. Only issues: seems far to the buses (w/a 4 yr old in tow)

Yeah, building 2 in the 50's is the furthest away in that section. My request for the 50's is building 1. Building 3 is good too.

Hi.

We are here now. 50's building 2. No new bedding but new fridge. Only issues: seems far to the buses (w/a 4 yr old in tow) & a roach was there to greet my sis when she turned her bed down last night!

Words can't express how hard this trip is for me (today was my birthday, too).

Ack! - what did your sister do?

I think I am going to ask for a box fan since I am so used to sleeping with that sound.

Happy Belated Birthday! And many hugs :hug:

Good morning!

We leave tomorrow for our DW vacation and our POP stay :banana::banana:

If we are doing breakfast at the Grand Floridian at 10 (probably taking a cab for that), then want to head to DTD before MVMCP, how long should we give ourselves if we are taking a bus from DTD to MK? Our dinner reservation is for 4:20pm.

Thanks!!! :love:

Buses do not run from DTD to MK. You could take a bus to The Contemporary and walk over to the MK.

Question...does the food court have individual, flavored creamers that I can get and take up to our room? We're bringing our Keurig and didn't know if I needed to get creamer or not.

Ah, good to know. I assume, then, that it's a short walk?

I honestly have never done the walk. This is just how we were advised on a recent trip to get to MK from DTD. We did not end up doing it. I am not sure where the buses let you off at The Contemporary as I have only ridden the monorail from there. Maybe someone else can chime in on their direct experience. Good luck!

Ah, good to know. I assume, then, that it's a short walk?

Yes, it's a pretty short walk. Of course, that all depends on how fast you move or how slow the slowest member of your party moves. DD and I can walk it in about 5 minutes, but we're really moving. I'd allow for 10+ minutes.

nancy drew said:

We just got back on the 2nd and we had a great experience. The food court was really good. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the "pizza bread". But i had the rotisserie chicken, beef brisket and the pork shank and it was all yummy. Everything my family got was really good too. The buses werent too bad either. We didn't wait long. When there were long lines they had multiple buses running. The wait wasn't long in between. For the most part we sat but we did stand too. Thats to be expected. A lot of people waited for the next bus to sit....not us...we were tired and wanted to get back to the resort or we were excited and wanted to get to the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter