POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #8~July 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
aym4Him said:
Hi.

We are here now. 50's building 2. No new bedding but new fridge. Only issues: seems far to the buses (w/a 4 yr old in tow) & a roach was there to greet my sis when she turned her bed down last night! Ah and I learned to either pack what I need the 1st night in my carry on OR not use DME for the luggage pick up. Our bags took over 5 hrs to get to the room.

Other than that, our room is fairly quiet tho I do miss the usual "hum" that other hotel A/Cs provide.

I'm not sure if it was a DISer or someone back home, but we came back to a sweet surprise in our room last night. Ethan was elated to find a basket with Minnie, Mickey, art supplies and a few other things. Words can't express how hard this trip is for me (today was my birthday, too). Thankfully, some sweet CMs & friends have made it magical for Ethan (which helped my heart a bit) but I still catch myself wanting to share each moment with my sweet DH. I still can't believe he's gone. My heart...

Anyway, just wanted to check in.

Happy Birthday :)
You can share all your exoeriences that you want with your DH....start a journal to Dillon. Itll be something that can help you connect to him and something Ethan can have when he's older.....if you want. My heart hurts for you but try and enjoy your trip.

Mom22girls56 said:
Question...does the food court have individual, flavored creamers that I can get and take up to our room? We're bringing our Keurig and didn't know if I needed to get creamer or not.

They have individual creamers, non flavored and also a creamer dispenser.

Hi. We are here now. 50's building 2. No new bedding but new fridge. Only issues: seems far to the buses (w/a 4 yr old in tow) & a roach was there to greet my sis when she turned her bed down last night! Ah and I learned to either pack what I need the 1st night in my carry on OR not use DME for the luggage pick up. Our bags took over 5 hrs to get to the room. Other than that, our room is fairly quiet tho I do miss the usual "hum" that other hotel A/Cs provide. I'm not sure if it was a DISer or someone back home, but we came back to a sweet surprise in our room last night. Ethan was elated to find a basket with Minnie, Mickey, art supplies and a few other things. Words can't express how hard this trip is for me (today was my birthday, too). Thankfully, some sweet CMs & friends have made it magical for Ethan (which helped my heart a bit) but I still catch myself wanting to share each moment with my sweet DH. I still can't believe he's gone. My heart... Anyway, just wanted to check in.

Wow. I admire you for still going on the trip for your son. I can't imagine how hard that is. You are a great mother. I hope you enjoy your trip and I'm still sending prayers your way.

Good morning!

We leave tomorrow for our DW vacation and our POP stay :banana::banana:

If we are doing breakfast at the Grand Floridian at 10 (probably taking a cab for that), then want to head to DTD before MVMCP, how long should we give ourselves if we are taking a bus from DTD to MK? Our dinner reservation is for 4:20pm.

Thanks!!! :love:

:yay: Have a fabulous trip!! :goodvibes From DTD, buses go to the resorts, so take the bus to any monorail resort. Leave at least an hour from the bus stand at DTD.

Here now!! Yippie!!! In 60s section. Fridge but no new bedding. Got all my request. Got in yesterday and got a quick bite at POPs food court. Food court a bit disappointing to me though- extremely slow service- was not busy at all and our food was cold and not that great :( but that's ok!!!! We will try AOA sometime this week. Here's a tip- I brought "to go coffee" cups with lids for the refillable mug for my coffee. I just brought my mug down with me so they know I get the coffee. I just can't drink out of plastic! Yuck! Haha . I went back and forth about bringing a coffee pot for my room and opted not to and luckily the coffee is really decent for me anyways.

These reviews and insites have helped me so I wanted to contribute! :)

My kids are having so much fun in POPs game room!!!!

Love the 60s!:hippie: Happy you got all your requests. If you do eat at the POP food court again, and encounter the same issue, return the food and ask for a replacement and/or consider speaking with a manager. We've had good service but obviously there can be off days. The AOA food court is a great option. :goodvibes

Hi.

We are here now. 50's building 2. No new bedding but new fridge. Only issues: seems far to the buses (w/a 4 yr old in tow) & a roach was there to greet my sis when she turned her bed down last night! Ah and I learned to either pack what I need the 1st night in my carry on OR not use DME for the luggage pick up. Our bags took over 5 hrs to get to the room.

Other than that, our room is fairly quiet tho I do miss the usual "hum" that other hotel A/Cs provide.

I'm not sure if it was a DISer or someone back home, but we came back to a sweet surprise in our room last night. Ethan was elated to find a basket with Minnie, Mickey, art supplies and a few other things. Words can't express how hard this trip is for me (today was my birthday, too). Thankfully, some sweet CMs & friends have made it magical for Ethan (which helped my heart a bit) but I still catch myself wanting to share each moment with my sweet DH. I still can't believe he's gone. My heart...

Anyway, just wanted to check in.

Happy Birthday! Its heartwarming to hear stories of pixie dust, especially to those that could really use the extra magic :) Thankful that you have this trip with your son, and agree with the others that your DH is with you always. Have a super magical time making wonderful memories with your DS. :goodvibes

Hey there my friend, so glad to hear you are there safe and sound. Happy birthday as well. Make sure you do share those things, he is still with you and Ethan. Have a magical time and allow yourself to have some fun. Enjoy the pixie dust. Xo

Thanks :). We took his pic on the Star Tours ride with us and E happened to choose a Star Wars photo background at the end that needed 3 faces. The CM was able to import DH's pic from the one I brought *sniff*
Yeah, building 2 in the 50's is the furthest away in that section. My request for the 50's is building 1. Building 3 is good too.

Ugh. I wish I'd known. Our room wasnt ready and he E's all "Oh! Here's one" I had 2 hrs sleep and lots of chaos so I thought it was a good thing. Nope!!
Ack! - what did your sister do? I think I am going to ask for a box fan since I am so used to sleeping with that sound. Happy Belated Birthday! And many hugs :hug:

Better than I would have. She killed it & called housekeeping. Blech! DS E's terrified one was going to reappear after that. It was after 1am and we'd been running on fumes.

Thank you. Friends sent me with notes & $ to buy some balloons & release them in DH's memory. Not normally my thing but we may do it Monday. Just too sad to think about. He was my best friend for. 10 yrs. This is hard.

Happy Birthday :) You can share all your exoeriences that you want with your DH....start a journal to Dillon. Itll be something that can help you connect to him and something Ethan can have when he's older.....if you want. My heart hurts for you but try and enjoy your trip.

Thank you!!

Wow. I admire you for still going on the trip for your son. I can't imagine how hard that is. You are a great mother. I hope you enjoy your trip and I'm still sending prayers your way.

It's the hardest trip I've ever had to take but E is having a blast!!

Happy Birthday! Its heartwarming to hear stories of pixie dust, especially to those that could really use the extra magic :) Thankful that you have this trip with your son, and agree with the others that your DH is with you always. Have a super magical time making wonderful memories with your DS. :goodvibes

Thank you. :)

Hey not bad since I started counting at 215 days! LOL So excited to stay onsite! This is our second trip ever and first time staying Onsite! I know people are worried about MB and FP+/- but hey I am not going to think of those things- I am going to just have fun and be patient for rides and what ever- I am just excited we have a opportunity to go and bring our DD down there- (most people just get to dream of going and never get to:sad1:)

We have Garden Grocers delivering to us also- (beer and chips :rotfl:) so I do hope we get a working fridge- but if we don't will just have to fill something up with ice to keep the beer cold!:drinking1

Oh can't wait to be in Warmer weather for 12 days!:cloud9:

Great attitude. :) Life is short so go out and enjoy! And I have several friends that have never been and would love to go.

BTW, I will be at Disney same time as you. :yay:

I found this posted on the wdwmagic.com website today:

" Disney's Pop Century Resort to provide MagicBands and no Key to the World card from this week
Nov 12, 2013

We reported back at the end of October that Walt Disney World resort hotel guests will soon be issued with only MagicBands and no Key to the World Card. MyMagic+ is now about to take another step forward as MagicBands become the default option at one of Disney's largest hotels.
During the past few weeks this has been tested with cast members and a limited number of guests, but from later this week, all guests at Disney's Pop Century Resort will only be issued with MagicBands.

The MagicBands will give access to all hotel and park functions, including touch-to-enter, FastPass+, and touch-to-pay. Key to the World Cards can be requested, however, the magnetic strip will not be activated, meaning it cannot be used for traditional FASTPASS, only FastPass+.

Expect to see the MagicBand-only program to roll out to all resorts over the coming months."

Thanks for the info!

We checked in yesterday and got both kttw and magic bands

Thanks for your update, that's good to know. :)

We are currently booked at the Dolphin but considering a switch to the Pop since the Dolphin FP system sounds like a mess, especially since we will be traveling during a very busy time. It would be nice to have FP+ and make our plans ahead of time rather than waiting until the day of to see whether we can actually ride what we want (yes, I know that's how the old system worked, but there were always FP available for the rides we like and it sounds like that isn't the case anymore).

stitchlovestink stated it very well.

Just have to say I love your DIS name. :)

I have stayed at POP 38 nights just this year (visiting DD as a CM) and over 120 nights collectively. I think you will be hard pressed to find a resort that has BETTER bus service than POP. There is only 1 bus stop and it really doesn't share a bus (on RARE occasion it may stop at AoA but that is extremely RARE!!) The disadvantage is the bus stop for POP at the parks is 'usually' the furtherest one out. Another possible advantage depending on your room location such as bldgs 3, 4 & 5...they are very close to the bridge and AoA and if you are headed out of a park and see and AoA bus I would not hesitate to hop on that AoA bus and just walk across the bridge to POP. It is a VERY short walk to bldgs 3, 4 & 5!! The AoA bus stop tends to be next to the POP bus stop.

The Food Court....
I personally have not encountered the food court at the hectic times people speak of but... That is not to say they don't exist, but I have yet to witness it! ;)
If I have waited for food, it is because it was a special order. Or there are a few things like the reuben (my DD loved that) that are made when ordered but it wasn't a really long wait, maybe 5 min? Another pro, you have the option of another food court with additional choices just across the bridge at AoA! And you can hop on a bus to a park right from there too!! Or you can stop and eat there before heading back to your room.... POP and AoA's food courts are quite different, so you would have the benefit of two different sets of choices at your fingertips!
I hope that gave you some of the info you were looking for...and good luck with your decision! :)

:wave2: Always a voice of reason with a great wealth of info. :goodvibes And I agree 100%. ::flower3:

To all the wonderful DISers on the POP thread...

As we are nearing the 250 page limit, a new thread is up, so pop on over and visit the new home :) I have much to fill in and will promise to do so, it is definitely always a work in process.

A big thanks to all for the great wealth of info that is always being shared here. The thread could not be as informative if not for all of you.

POP DISers rock!! :hippie:

POP Century FAQ thread #8

Mom22girls56 said:
Great! Thanks so much!

Your Welcome! I use French vanilla creamer in my coffee. I was hoping thet had it. But free coffee trumps flavored creamer lol

We stayed at POP century our first trip few years ago and had so much fun. The kids enjoyed the gigantic decor especially the big tub of playdoh :thumbsup2

Hi. We are here now. 50's building 2. No new bedding but new fridge. Only issues: seems far to the buses (w/a 4 yr old in tow) & a roach was there to greet my sis when she turned her bed down last night! Ah and I learned to either pack what I need the 1st night in my carry on OR not use DME for the luggage pick up. Our bags took over 5 hrs to get to the room. Other than that, our room is fairly quiet tho I do miss the usual "hum" that other hotel A/Cs provide. I'm not sure if it was a DISer or someone back home, but we came back to a sweet surprise in our room last night. Ethan was elated to find a basket with Minnie, Mickey, art supplies and a few other things. Words can't express how hard this trip is for me (today was my birthday, too). Thankfully, some sweet CMs & friends have made it magical for Ethan (which helped my heart a bit) but I still catch myself wanting to share each moment with my sweet DH. I still can't believe he's gone. My heart... Anyway, just wanted to check in.

Hey! I have been thinking about you a lit since we heard the news. Hugs and prayers to your family, and I hope you have a wonderful time with your sister and sweet boy!

Checked in to pop late sat night. Room was nice and clean. New bedding and fridge. We didn't get kttw cards, only MB's. We were able to use our AP's to get fast passes And our MB's for FP+ yesterday. We only had FP+ for yesterday because we had mvmcp tickets. Had a great night at the party even though it was hot and humid..much too warm for Christmas. ;)

At POP in 11 days!!!!!

Quick question: We have booked the Marceline to Magic Tour at the Magic Kingdom. The day we go the park opens at 9am but the tour starts at 8:15. I know the busses start running an hour early, but leaving the hotel at 8 will not get us to the tour by 8:15, which is the start time.

Is there an earlier bus for tour and character meal people?

If not how do we get from POP to the Magic Kingdom on time for our tour?

At POP in 11 days!!!!!

Quick question: We have booked the Marceline to Magic Tour at the Magic Kingdom. The day we go the park opens at 9am but the tour starts at 8:15. I know the busses start running an hour early, but leaving the hotel at 8 will not get us to the tour by 8:15, which is the start time.

Buses start rolling at 6:30 AM.:thumbsup2

At POP in 11 days!!!!!

You could just take a taxi too- might be less stressful than waiting at the busstop.

We are planning our 4th trip to WDW but our fist Pop stay. It's going to be Me, DH and 2 of our grandkids 6 and 3 at time of the trip.
We have only stayed at POFQ and POR before. So our first Value resort to boot.
I think this is a great idea with the little ones for the theming and the prices we will get too. Looking forward to hearing all the things going on.

pixidustmom said:
We are planning our 4th trip to WDW but our fist Pop stay. It's going to be Me, DH and 2 of our grandkids 6 and 3 at time of the trip.
We have only stayed at POFQ and POR before. So our first Value resort to boot.
I think this is a great idea with the little ones for the theming and the prices we will get too. Looking forward to hearing all the things going on.

You should POP on over to our newest thread #9 as this one is getting wrapped up due to length. You'll continue to find lots of great tips, advice etc...
You will love POP!! It's a GREAT place to stay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter