Kangaroo Meat For Lunch

I find this all very interesting as I really, personally eat virtually no processed or fast food. I generally know what I am eating.

All this to say, I guess you learn something new everyday, as kangaroo meat being in any food served to the general population like at a school or something would have never even entered my mind. I get that ground beef, pork, turkey or sausage made from various parts of these same animals would be included.

That being said, I respect and understand that other meats have good nutritional profiles and that it comes down to what we are used to eating culturally. (I have eaten veal and rabbit, for example).

At minimum, I would like to think the possibility of being served something unusual like kangaroo would have been communicated at some point, just so people know and can make their own decision.

Last edited:
I have no reason to disbelieve you - please don't immediately dismiss me either. I guess dietary restrictions, whether self-imposed or not, are just not that much of a novelty to me or mine.:confused3 We've got vegetarians in our family and vegans in my workplace and social circles. There are also large numbers of people with allergies/sensitivities. We accommodate one another or sometimes even completely cater to whatever the needs are - why wouldn't we? This really, really isn't such a big deal for everyone; I'm sorry if you routinely get a hard time. :flower3:

P.S. I've only ever cooked one full-on vegan meal for company and I had to get very specific advice from a vegan friend on how to completely avoid animal by-products like gelatin and honey. Not everybody immediately understands just what is and is not out of bounds. Rather than trying to "slip something in", is it possible honest mistakes are made? Some people inadvertently feed nut extracts or nut butters to people with nut allergies simply out of ignorance, for example.

I’m am not talking about someone feeding me food accidentally. I can assure you that there are people out there, sadly a few I’m related to, that would purposely serve me animal based food or think “well a little dairy isn’t going to kill her. She ate it for years and was just fine and I’m not going out of my way for her, she’ll never know”. That type of thinking is prevalent in my certain circles of my family and I’m lucky enough that my sister warned me ahead of time what was being said and done behind my back.

I think it’s really nice of you to go out of your norm and cook a vegan meal for someone. I’m not lying or exaggerating when I say you are rare. I usually bring my own food anywhere. My extended family stays with me often and we go out of our way for them but there’s only two family memebers who would reciprocate with a meal we could eat.

I think it’s really nice of you to go out of your norm and cook a vegan meal for someone. I’m not lying or exaggerating when I say you are rare. I usually bring my own food anywhere. My extended family stays with me often and we go out of our way for them but there’s only two family memebers who would reciprocate with a meal we could eat.
I don't know that I would try to do it. Not because I wouldn't be willing. But I would be afraid that I would mess it up.

And I wouldn't want to do that.

I don't know that I would try to do it. Not because I wouldn't be willing. But I would be afraid that I would mess it up.

And I wouldn't want to do that.

And that’s perfect acceptable and I would be grateful for your honesty. :love: It’s only rotten when you cook a meal for a person and look them in the eye and say this meal is entirely Kosher, Halal, vegan, peanut free or whatever really matters to the person who is consuming the food when you know it’s not, are not really sure or think it’s a white lie.

People are weird and bullish about what other people don’t consume when it come to food. Like Gerneral gold stars are still give out for eating absolutely anything and everything and you are pathetic if you care about what you eat.

I’m am not talking about someone feeding me food accidentally. I can assure you that there are people out there, sadly a few I’m related to, that would purposely serve me animal based food or think “well a little dairy isn’t going to kill her. She ate it for years and was just fine and I’m not going out of my way for her, she’ll never know”. That type of thinking is prevalent in my certain circles of my family and I’m lucky enough that my sister warned me ahead of time what was being said and done behind my back.

I can relate to what you’re saying. I became a vegetarian back in the 90s when it was still considered radical and people always wanted to challenge me about it for some odd reason. Almost nobody accommodated that type of diet. Not restaurants and certainly not schools. My high school had about three garden salads available per day, minus the weeks they just didn’t have them available at all, and if I wasn’t able to snag one before they sold out, I just went hungry. Restaurant servers sneered and shrugged when I asked if their side dishes could be made vegetarian. People were openly hostile to the idea of veganism.

Have you ever heard the saying, “The only people who truly have to hunt for their food anymore are vegans?” Boy, was that true for a long time. But wow, how things are changing! When I started dating my husband, I was the only person at the family gatherings with a dietary restriction. They were kind enough to make sure they had *a* vegetarian option for me. Now, in this small family of about twenty, there are three vegans, two vegetarians, one egg allergy, and one medically necessary gluten-free diet. Everyone is accounting for dietary restrictions when they cook and vegan dishes outnumber regular dishes 2:1.

Over time, the small specialty sections of our grocery stores have expanded to a specialty aisle, expanded again into multiple specialty aisles, and now the specialty food options have outgrown even that space and are now being shelved alongside the regular items. Which, admittedly, has made my grocery shopping harder. Instead of having all my vegan items shelved together, I now have to go to the meat display, and the dairy section, and the condiment aisle... like a normal person. :laughing:

When we go to restaurants, servers don’t even bat an eye when we say we’re vegan and they more often than not know what we can and can’t eat off the top of their head. At the very least, they’re happy to check with the kitchen what they don’t know. Last month I walked into a local restaurant I’d been wanting to try and, to my complete surprise, found out I’d shown up on “Vegan Night.” Choose app, entree, and dessert from an entirely vegan menu for a set price. :confused3 Okay!

When I went to Disney as a vegetarian six years ago, I had to mark all my reservations as “allergy,” then call two weeks in advance to notify them of my vegetarian diet, and again notify them upon arrival so the chef could come speak to us. Fast forward to now and their official policy is that every restaurant on Disney property can accommodate vegetarian and vegan diets without any advance notice. (Admittedly, some do a much better job than others, so there’s still quite a bit of research required.) There are now vegan options on many of the menus, they sell vegan hotdogs on Main Street, and while in EPCOT we stumbled into a vegan seminar — a tasting of the vegan cookie dough they’re launching in the parks. Universal just rolled out a slew of vegan options throughout their parks.

I feel like the last two years especially have been a watershed moment for veganism. The variety and quality of vegan products are booming, it’s becoming more mainstream than ever, and people are much more open to it than they used to be. I know not every region is going to move at the same pace, and perhaps you live in a smaller/more rural area than I do, but just know the tides are changing. ::yes::

As for those who are passive aggressive and/or purposely deceitful about your food choices, don’t waste another minute of your time on toxic people. The only people in my life who were intentional jerks about my vegetarian/veganism were my parents, and they were jerks about everything.

To the posters who mentioned being intimidated to try cooking a vegan meal for someone, just google vegan recipes. Resources and vegan blogs abound that will take the guesswork out of it for you. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
The list should just say “We put pork in our food without disclosure”. That is absolutely wrong for someone to think they are eating one thing, and to be served another thing. Like, I am thinking bordering on illegal.

I am amazed that there are people that don’t think this is a big deal.

But did the school falsely say that only beef was in the chili? My children do not have religious or medical dietary restrictions. Therefore, for school lunches, I do not request nor ask for a list of ingredients. Some dishes on the menu are marked with a "V" to indicate vegetarian. If my child was a vegetarian and they added this kangaroo meat to that meal, yes, I would be very upset. But if the parents were not told it was 100% beef, then I would think anyone with a strong objection to eating other kinds of meat would have had their child pack lunch, told their child to get the vegetarian option, or asked about what kind of meat it was.
I have a friend at work who does not eat red meat. She asks EVERY single time when someone brings in food that has unidentified meat.

I am not against eating kangaroo. I am against being served something without my knowledge.
I think the point is that school lunches tend NOT to advertise their ingredients. Sloppy Joes, Spaghetti sauce, or Chicken Casserole are good examples; you can kinda /mostly see the main ingredients, and unless you ask, you assume "that's it". Small children who'd ask about the ingredients would be in the minority.

I heard this on the radio the other day at work. The DJ said that some of the kids got sick from the meat.
That's a whole different ball game. Did they get BAD kangaroo meat?

(I would agree that I don't want the chef just cooking up his hunt from last weekend).
I can't imagine a school chef who also happens to be a hunter voluntarily giving up a deer (or whatever else) to his workplace. Regardless, I don't think this school chef just happened to shoot a kangaroo over the weekend.

As for young elementary aged kids, most will eat based on taste
Disagree. In my experience, young children eat (or don't eat) based upon their perception /expectation of what a food will taste like. So a child who has had chili in the past and who has had a good experience with it would dig into this school lunch, whereas a kid who hasn't had it before or who perhaps has tasted super-hot chili and found it unappealing would refuse to taste it.

Where does it say the kids were upset? If he bought the meat from the supplier contracted by the school, and there wasn’t anything in his contract saying he could only use certain meats, he did nothing wrong. I hope he sues the district for wrongful termination.
Yeah, it's fair to assume that this school chef was allowed to purchase only from a handful of suppliers, so the kangaroo meat must've been on the allowable purchase list.

Look, y'all are really reaching here. I understand the menu didn't specify the meat, but what would a reasonable person assume about chili? If it has meat, it's going to be beef. If a chili had turkey in it, instead, it would be called "turkey chili". If you ordered a "taco", you would assume beef. If the taco had fish in it, the menu would say "fish taco". Because reasonable person in the United States (especially school-aged children and their parents) would assume "chili", without any adjectives, would be the standard United States cultural understanding of the dish: beans and ground beef in a spicy tomato-based sauce, possibly with peppers and onions. No reasonable person would look at a menu that said "Chili", and think "oh, this might have kangaroo meat".

I don't know. In food service settings, I personally wouldn't make assumptions. Especially at schools where meeting both nutritional and cost guidelines can prompt all sorts of shifts as prices and availability change. Chili is ground meat and beans. It might be beef. It might be turkey. It might be pork. It might or might not have texturized soy protein mixed in to add bulk. Once in a while, it might even be bison or venison. Same with taco meat, though pork or venison would be unusual there - you could probably safely assume some mix of beef, turkey and filler. I agree that kangaroo is outside the norm in the U.S., but I don't think it is ever a good idea to assume the contents of a particular dish where substitutions and variations are as common as they are with chili.

I can relate to what you’re saying. I became a vegetarian back in the 90s when it was still considered radical and people always wanted to challenge me about it for some odd reason. Almost nobody accommodated that type of diet. Not restaurants and certainly not schools. My high school had about three garden salads available per day, minus the weeks they just didn’t have them available at all, and if I wasn’t able to snag one before they sold out, I just went hungry. Restaurant servers sneered and shrugged when I asked if their side dishes could be made vegetarian. People were openly hostile to the idea of veganism.

Have you ever heard the saying, “The only people who truly have to hunt for their food anymore are vegans?” Boy, was that true for a long time. But wow, how things are changing! When I started dating my husband, I was the only person at the family gatherings with a dietary restriction. They were kind enough to make sure they had *a* vegetarian option for me. Now, in this small family of about twenty, there are three vegans, two vegetarians, one egg allergy, and one medically necessary gluten-free diet. Everyone is accounting for dietary restrictions when they cook and vegan dishes outnumber regular dishes 2:1.

Over time, the small specialty sections of our grocery stores have expanded to a specialty aisle, expanded again into multiple specialty aisles, and now the specialty food options have outgrown even that space and are now being shelved alongside the regular items. Which, admittedly, has made my grocery shopping harder. Instead of having all my vegan items shelved together, I now have to go to the meat display, and the dairy section, and the condiment aisle... like a normal person. :laughing:

When we go to restaurants, servers don’t even bat an eye when we say we’re vegan and they more often than not know what we can and can’t eat off the top of their head. At the very least, they’re happy to check with the kitchen what they don’t know. Last month I walked into a local restaurant I’d been wanting to try and, to my complete surprise, found out I’d shown up on “Vegan Night.” Choose app, entree, and dessert from an entirely vegan menu for a set price. :confused3 Okay!

When I went to Disney as a vegetarian six years ago, I had to mark all my reservations as “allergy,” then call two weeks in advance to notify them of my vegetarian diet, and again notify them upon arrival so the chef could come speak to us. Fast forward to now and their official policy is that every restaurant on Disney property can accommodate vegetarian and vegan diets without any advance notice. (Admittedly, some do a much better job than others, so there’s still quite a bit of research required.) There are now vegan options on many of the menus, they sell vegan hotdogs on Main Street, and while in EPCOT we stumbled into a vegan seminar — a tasting of the vegan cookie dough they’re launching in the parks. Universal just rolled out a slew of vegan options throughout their parks.

I feel like the last two years especially have been a watershed moment for veganism. The variety and quality of vegan products are booming, it’s becoming more mainstream than ever, and people are much more open to it than they used to be. I know not every region is going to move at the same pace, and perhaps you live in a smaller/more rural area than I do, but just know the tides are changing. ::yes::

As for those who are passive aggressive and/or purposely deceitful about your food choices, don’t waste another minute of your time on toxic people. The only people in my life who were intentional jerks about my vegetarian/veganism were my parents, and they were jerks about everything.

To the posters who mentioned being intimidated to try cooking a vegan meal for someone, just google vegan recipes. Resources and vegan blogs abound that will take the guesswork out of it for you. :thumbsup2

Well ha we could talk all night. I’ve been a vegan for 7 years and a vegetarian for much longer. Vegetarians are accommodated much more than vegans in the mainstream. Doesn’t every restaurant have that one vegetarian dish where the main ingredient is either cheese or egg?

I live in a very vegan friendly city when it comes to restaurants thankfully. You can’t swing a cat without accidentally walking into one. The people around me are slowly accepting us as plant based eaters. Yes there has been a lot of anger in the beginning. How dare you not eat my “healthy” food!

We’ve been challenged so many times and another plant based eater told me how to respond which has worked well when your hit with the usual questions. Why don’t you eat meat or dairy? Don’t you know you need the protein for your health and calcium for your bones?” This question has been thrown to us at Xmas parties, weddings or any other general gathering of people when they find out we are politely and quietly saying no thank you to the food offered. My friend told me to say “if you’d like to discuss why we eat this way I’d be happy to at an appropriate time.” It works like a charm and people back off.

I find younger people are much more accepting of our plant based diet. There’s none of the usual “ we ate this way and didn’t die” nonsense that people my age hold on to.

This summer I was sitting in my neighbour’s garden at her birthday party. She literally walked into my house and dragged me over there at the last minute. So out comes all this food and I’m politely declining ( they know I’m vegan). One woman asks “why aren’t you eating anything?” As I’m telling her I’m just not hungry my neighbour says “she’s vegan”. The woman responds “well you always know when a Vegan in the room because they will tell you “ . I didn’t hold back my response to her.

Just so we all know, in the US it is illegal to serve really wild game in a restaurant. All venison, duck, boar, elk, bear, caribou/reindeer, and such are farm raised. I mean, reindeer is a semi-domesticated caribou anyway. I’m not sure if the seal they serve in Canada is wild or farmed, but I like to imagine massive herds of seal on a drive across the untamed prairies of Alberta and Saskatchewan.

I don't think your lying, but really, I'm no more forbearing than most people I know. There are just so many people now with food preferences or dietary restrictions of one kind or another now, it's unthinkable not to take it into account.

We entertain a lot, and I do quite a bit of cooking for others - catering small charity events and taking meals to friends and family. The first question that has to be asked is "do you have any dietary restrictions??". Why bother putting together a nice meal only to find the ones you're trying to serve can't/won't eat it? And really, in my world pretty much everybody does the same. DH had a bit of a medical incident so a (not-so-close) friend made us supper tonight. She called to ask if what she was planning was suitable. HA!! It actually sounded kinda gross but since we don't have any legit allergies or anything, I said of course it was fine. ;)

Even with all my cooking experience, it's a little daunting to try and accommodate a dietary restriction of any kind "perfectly". There's a lot to know and I was really surprised how few items said "vegan" on the package the one time I went shopping for them. Vegetarian, especially lacto/ovo is a cake-walk comparatively but gluten-free is also super hard and I'm always worried about cross-contamination for nut allergy people.

I think you nailed it on the head though - someone that would try and force you (or Anna or anyone) isn't unaware of what they're doing. They're hostile dicks. I still have to believe there are more people like me than like them though. :goodvibes

Just so we all know, in the US it is illegal to serve really wild game in a restaurant. All venison, duck, boar, elk, bear, caribou/reindeer, and such are farm raised. I mean, reindeer is a semi-domesticated caribou anyway. I’m not sure if the seal they serve in Canada is wild or farmed, but I like to imagine massive herds of seal on a drive across the untamed prairies of Alberta and Saskatchewan.

It’s more complicated than that. Meat has to be processed in a facility that’s inspected by the USDA or state agency. Importing wild game meat may actually be easier than getting meat from American wild game inspected.

https://www.brokenarrowranch.com/Articles/WildGameMeatInspection.htm

There may be specific state laws, like my state where recreationally taken animals are illegal for sale.

It’s more complicated than that. Meat has to be processed in a facility that’s inspected by the USDA or state agency. Importing wild game meat may actually be easier than getting meat from American wild game inspected.

https://www.brokenarrowranch.com/Articles/WildGameMeatInspection.htm

There may be specific state laws, like my state where recreationally taken animals are illegal for sale.
Fair enough. It appears I have been holding on to false information. I was always told that ranches such as broken arrow operated more like farms and were not harvesting fully wild animals.

Fair enough. It appears I have been holding on to false information. I was always told that ranches such as broken arrow operated more like farms and were not harvesting fully wild animals.

They’re actually wild. It looks like their operation is primarily from being authorized to hunt on private land as well as their own. Their species are also free ranging exotic/invasive species, although wild boar is legally considered pork and can be sold as such. They’re also dealing with Texas rules.

http://www.brokenarrowranch.com/About.htm
Our animals are field harvested from over 100 different ranches, totaling about 1 million combined acres, located in central and south Texas. These animals are truly wild - not farmed or pen-raised. The free-range, all natural meat they produce is of the highest quality. Fine dining restaurants in almost every state use our wild game products. The strongest markets are New York, California, and Texas where large metropolitan areas support many fine dining establishments. Our product line includes venison from three different specieschemically of deer (axis, sika, and fallow), two species of antelope (blackbuck and nilgai - or South Texas Antelope) and wild boar.​

We’ve had issues with a couple of those exotic deer species in Marin County. They’re were introduced for hunting on private ranches, but of course they couldn’t be contained and maintained a stable population. They’re trying to wipe them out. As an exotic species, few argue against their eventual el8mination, but there’s basically little recreational hunting in the area now. The National Park Service authorized professional hunting from helicopters over Point Reyes National Seashore. However, there’s a vocal segment of locals who insist they should be chemically/physically sterilized to the point where they’ll eventually die off or at least have the population minimized.

They’re actually wild. It looks like their operation is primarily from being authorized to hunt on private land as well as their own. Their species are also free ranging exotic/invasive species, although wild boar is legally considered pork and can be sold as such. They’re also dealing with Texas rules.

http://www.brokenarrowranch.com/About.htm
Our animals are field harvested from over 100 different ranches, totaling about 1 million combined acres, located in central and south Texas. These animals are truly wild - not farmed or pen-raised. The free-range, all natural meat they produce is of the highest quality. Fine dining restaurants in almost every state use our wild game products. The strongest markets are New York, California, and Texas where large metropolitan areas support many fine dining establishments. Our product line includes venison from three different specieschemically of deer (axis, sika, and fallow), two species of antelope (blackbuck and nilgai - or South Texas Antelope) and wild boar.​

We’ve had issues with a couple of those exotic deer species in Marin County. They’re were introduced for hunting on private ranches, but of course they couldn’t be contained and maintained a stable population. They’re trying to wipe them out. As an exotic species, few argue against their eventual el8mination, but there’s basically little recreational hunting in the area now. The National Park Service authorized professional hunting from helicopters over Point Reyes National Seashore. However, there’s a vocal segment of locals who insist they should be chemically/physically sterilized to the point where they’ll eventually die off or at least have the population minimized.
It appears they are really the only ones, too.

I'm a kangaroo eater :rolleyes1

I'm impressed this chef thought to add it to his lineup - can't have been easy to find and because it's so low in fat, I find it quite tricky to cook! I struggle not to overcook it and turn it tough (though I've never used kangaroo mince). But I think it's absolutely delicious to eat.

The kind of meat I struggle to eat is the meat that has not been raised in (what to me is - ie, this is personal & subjective) an ethical manner. It would be the same with whatever animal I was eating (and it needs to be processed humanely and safely too - that goes without saying). It is hard to get free range pork here, so I tend not to eat it, that kind of thing. It makes me feel ill to think of eating an animal that has had a miserable life, I guess in the same way people might feel ill about eating kangaroos.

Link for interest's sake by an Australian nutritionist comparing beef to kangaroo... He tends to think that beef tastes better than kangaroo, I'm not sure I agree with him lol. http://www.daleynutrition.com/beef-vs-kangaroo-meat/

And lastly, apparently kangatarians are a thing. WHO EVEN KNEW. Not me! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...7222088/Kangatarians-emerge-in-Australia.html

Last edited:
I'm impressed this chef thought to add it to his lineup - can't have been easy to find and because it's so low in fat,

It was advertised in the flyer from the school food supplier. This supplier supplies most of Nebraska with school food and commodities.

That's a whole different ball game. Did they get BAD kangaroo meat?

Rumor was that was not what the kid got sick from.

I can't imagine a school chef who also happens to be a hunter voluntarily giving up a deer (or whatever else) to his workplace. Regardless, I don't think this school chef just happened to shoot a kangaroo over the weekend.

See answer to Franrose, we really do not have too many kangaroos in Nebraska, LOL
Yeah, it's fair to assume that this school chef was allowed to purchase only from a handful of suppliers

Very few suppliers sell to schools, food has to meet nutritional values, ie, salt content, calories, etc. Lots of regulations for school lunches.

ETA: I would bet most of these kids have had venison before too just knowing where the school is located and how big it is. Probably have had venison in there chili at home.

I don't see it as a big deal for people that eat meat-if you eat one murdered animal why does it matter the type?

And they'll find that there are plenty of "regular" standard foods that happen to be vegan. No need to use unfamiliar ingredients like meat/dairy/cheese substitutes.

And they'll find that there are plenty of "regular" standard foods that happen to be vegan. No need to use unfamiliar ingredients like meat/dairy/cheese substitutes.
I guess for me, :confused: there's a bit of a mental block of not finding the vegan recipes very appealing-sounding and being unsure what constitutes a substantial entrée, compared to sides or salads or whatever. It really helped to have somebody reassure me with their opinion of what "good" choices were. This may not be a vegan (or vegetarian) thing, but lots of the people in my life with health-related dietary restrictions put effort into finding things that are "like" the things they can't have. I'm certainly no expert on any of it - I just want to provide an enjoyable experience to anybody that eats my food. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter