• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Kangaroo Meat For Lunch

I wonder how it was discovered, too. And, where did they get it? They’d pay a premium price too. I’ve had kangaroo before, but I don’t remember the taste. It couldn’t have been bad because I’m super picky.

I read an article that it caused kids major anxiety. Anxiety from what? Eating an animal that’s considered cute? It’s not like they were fine chowing down on Bessie.

I wonder if your reaction would differ if you found out you just ate dog meat? It’s perfectly legal and acceptable in many countries in Asia.

I think every person, children included, should be informed and able to decide whether they want to consume a certain animal. I remember when IKEA was putting horsemeat in their meatballs without listing the ingredient.
It's school food so unless the menu stated 100% beef chili then I'd assume there were all sorts of ground meats thrown in there.
There is a reason why that kind of stuff has been referred to as mystery meat by school children for decades.

Isn't buying school lunch a choice generally? Usually there are also vegetarian options.
As a parent of 3, I've never been given an ingredient list for school lunches...just a description. As my children don't have any religious or medical dietary descriptions, I would just assume that ground meat is whatever ground meat that is approved by sanitary health standards (I would agree that I don't want the chef just cooking up his hunt from last weekend).

Are there any medical or religious reasons why a student could eat ground beef and not ground kangaroo? If so, it should be labelled, like I would expect say pork to be noted when used.

Cat and dog meat aren't commercially available in the U.S., so, yes I would have a problem with the safety of eating that.
:scratchin While I might find it viscerally disturbing, I really couldn’t make a logical argument for not eating them, given I’m an omnivore. Your point about safety is valid though. I presume the kangaroo in question was subject to the same standards as any commercially marketed meat.

Isn't buying school lunch a choice generally? Usually there are also vegetarian options.
As a parent of 3, I've never been given an ingredient list for school lunches...just a description. As my children don't have any religious or medical dietary descriptions, I would just assume that ground meat is whatever ground meat that is approved by sanitary health standards (I would agree that I don't want the chef just cooking up his hunt from last weekend).

Are there any medical or religious reasons why a student could eat ground beef and not ground kangaroo? If so, it should be labelled, like I would expect say pork to be noted when used.

My kids didn’t eat school lunches. Besides allergies and religion there are many other reasons why people don’t eat certain foods.

:scratchin While I might find it viscerally disturbing, I really couldn’t make a logical argument for not eating them, given I’m an omnivore. Your point about safety is valid though. I presume the kangaroo in question was subject to the same standards as any commercially marketed meat.

Would you be upset if you found out the burger you just ate contained dog or cat meat?

Would you be upset if you found out the burger you just ate contained dog or cat meat?
:scratchin Good question. I wouldn’t choose to eat either one under normal circumstances but not because I think cats have any more (or less) inherent value than cows.

I said earlier that I agree, in general, that everybody should be able to choose what they eat or don’t eat. But in reality, unless you make it yourself there’s no guarantee of full disclosure. For example, if the cook should have notified the diners there was kangaroo in the chilli (when it was not reasonable to assume there was), is there also a responsiblility to say there’s broccoli in there (also not expected in chilli)? I’m trying to stay logically and ethically consistent here - I think the issue here is being coloured by the emotion evoked by kangaroos.

:scratchin Good question. I wouldn’t choose to eat either one under normal circumstances but not because I think cats have any more (or less) inherent value than cows.

I said earlier that I agree, in general, that everybody should be able to choose what they eat or don’t eat. But in reality, unless you make it yourself there’s no guarantee of full disclosure. For example, if the cook should have notified the diners there was kangaroo in the chilli (when it was not reasonable to assume there was), is there also a responsiblility to say there’s broccoli in there (also not expected in chilli). I’m trying to stay logically and ethically consistent here - I think the issue here is being coloured by the emotion evoked by kangaroos.

But would you be upset if you found out you just ate dog or cat meat?

As a plant based eater with allergies you bet I look at the ingredient list in all my food before I buy it or order it. I prefer to eat my own food and it’s why I always try to rent an apartment or condo when travelling. Sadly their are people out there who think it’s hilarious to sneak animals in vegan’s food.

Last edited:

I said earlier that I agree, in general, that everybody should be able to choose what they eat or don’t eat. But in reality, unless you make it yourself there’s no guarantee of full disclosure. For example, if the cook should have notified the diners there was kangaroo in the chilli (when it was not reasonable to assume there was), is there also a responsiblility to say there’s broccoli in there (also not expected in chilli)? I’m trying to stay logically and ethically consistent here - I think the issue here is being coloured by the emotion evoked by kangaroos.

I hate broccoli, so I would be offended I was not notified :)

Seriously, though, I was a vegetarian for 10 years. I eat meat now. I probably wouldn't choose to eat dog or cat because I've had them as pets, but I can't say that I'd have serious anxiety and think that the person needed to fired if they prepared a commercially available, safe meat.

Yes, it would have been better for the cook to maybe even highlight the unusual ingredient and its health benefits, I don't understand the anxiety that the same person who will eat a cow or a pig won't eat kangaroo. If no harm was done, in terms of medical harm or religious harm, then it could just a lesson learned.

I do think cat and dog are a little bit different because they are often pets in the United States. Kangaroos are not pets, so I don't understand the emotional attachment to them as opposed to a pig or a cow.

As a parent I wonder if you can request full ingredient lists of the food served at the school. I think it should be available by request but I don't think it has to be provided. As long as the food served meets all the US safety regulations and is legal then I have no problem with what they serve. I assume that any meat served in cafeteria food is a combination of meat from animals that are legal to eat in US, or in my specific State, and that the meat has gone through the FDA inspection and grading process.
I don't believe anyone should be fired if they served a meat that fit that criteria, I think that is going over board in an attempt to satisfy overly sensitive people who aren't capable of logical thought (about this specific incident).
So what your kid ate some meat they wouldn't normally choose too, but like the pp said how is it different than them eating a cow, pig, deer, bison, or chicken? It isn't, at all.

Last edited:
But would you be upset if you found out you just ate dog or cat meat?

As a plant based eater with allergies you bet I look at the ingredient list in all my food before I buy it or order it. I prefer to eat my own food and it’s why I always try to rent an apartment or condo when travelling. Sadly their are people out there who think it’s hilarious to sneak animals in vegan’s food.
That’s just bizarre - I’ll never understand why anybody cares what anybody else doesn’t eat. Now that I’ve thought about the other question a little more, well, I’d think it was gross (same as if I inadvertently ate brains or snake or 1,000 year old egg or something) but I’d get over it. :confused3 I’m not sure what definition of “upset” you’re going for.

Because I was fed something I didn’t know about? Yes

Because they’re cute and cuddly and considered off limits? No

Exactly my point. People, including kids should be able to decide whether or not they are ok with eating certain foods.

These kids were upset and I don’t blame them. If the parents on this thread learned their kids were served cat or dog meat at school I fully expect that they would be livid.

That’s just bizarre - I’ll never understand why anybody cares what anybody else doesn’t eat. Now that I’ve thought about the other question a little more, well, I’d think it was gross (same as if I inadvertently ate brains or snake or 1,000 year old egg or something) but I’d get over it. :confused3 I’m not sure what definition of “upset” you’re going for.

Yeah sadly it’s a thing. Here’s an experiment. Tell your friends and family you will no longer be consuming any animal products ever again. Politely decline any offers of food at family gatherings, work lunches, Christmas parties. Bring your own dishes to share if you want. Come back and tell me their reactions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter