Kangaroo Meat For Lunch

As a parent I wonder if you can request full ingredient lists of the food served at the school. I think it should be available by request but I don't think it has to be provided.

Good question - I wonder how that would be handled? I know at my younger son's school, they give a really detailed description of the lunch options, but they're a private school with a actual culinary trained chef and are big on local, sustainable, organic, etc. ingredients. My older son's Catholic high school is a lot less descriptive and I would doubt the lunch ladies would know what's in most of the meals being served. I think it's a lot of just heat and serve stuff anyways.

Yeah sadly it’s a thing. Here’s an experiment. Tell your friends and family you will no longer be consuming any animal products ever again. Politely decline any offers of food at family gatherings, work lunches, Christmas parties. Bring your own dishes to share if you want. Come back and tell me their reactions.

I totally believe you, I have a feeling my dh's stepmom would do something like that.
I've even heard of someone putting an allergen in food and serving it because they didn't believe someone was really allergic, they thought they were just "picky". Luckily the person didn't actually eat the food because they questioned it.

I think the squeamishness about "not food" meats in this country is silly, and I personally wouldn't be upset at all over the inclusion of a leaner meat in the chili. Our school subs in ground turkey or pork sometimes, in whole or in part, without disclosure, and I don't see any difference. If the budget allows for a leaner, USDA-approved protein to be used, why not use it?

And I'm sorry, but comparisons to cats and dogs or even horses don't hold - kangaroos are not kept as domestic pets/companion animals in the U.S. We aren't used to eating it, true, but we're also not used to thinking of them in the anthropomorphized terms we think of our pets.

Our school subs in ground turkey or pork sometimes, in whole or in part, without disclosure, and I don't see any difference. If the budget allows for a leaner, USDA-approved protein to be used, why not use it?

Without telling anyone? So people think they are eating beef and they are being served pork? What about those that do not consume pork for religious reasons?

Without telling anyone? So people think they are eating beef and they are being served pork? What about those that do not consume pork for religious reasons?

Quite honestly, I don't know how that's handled. I know we're asked at the start of the year about special dietary restrictions and needs. I would assume that parents who indicate such needs are given a list of potentially problematic foods so they can guide their kids' choices. There are always two entrees offered, so if one is a hot dog or chili or something else that may contain pork, the student could simply choose the other. There are only a small number of choices where the meat makeup can potentially vary - the chili, hot dogs (sometimes all beef, sometimes regular mixed-meat), and any breakfast-for-lunch day that offers sausage (sometimes turkey, sometimes pork).

There's also a very real possibility that it just hasn't come up. I'm in a rural midwestern community that is almost entirely white and Christian, and it wouldn't surprise me if the food service program has never been asked to accommodate an observant Jewish or Muslim student. I know they aren't great about accommodating vegetarians; I can count on one hand the number of meatless entrees offered in a typical month, and none of them are vegan. But on Fridays during Lent, *then* you can count on two meatless choices (usually one fish and one vegetarian).

Our school subs in ground turkey or pork sometimes, in whole or in part, without disclosure

I would assume that parents who indicate such needs are given a list of potentially problematic foods so they can guide their kids' choices.

The list should just say “We put pork in our food without disclosure”. That is absolutely wrong for someone to think they are eating one thing, and to be served another thing. Like, I am thinking bordering on illegal.

I am amazed that there are people that don’t think this is a big deal.

The list should just say “We put pork in our food without disclosure”. That is absolutely wrong for someone to think they are eating one thing, and to be served another thing. Like, I am thinking bordering on illegal.

A) There is no reason to have a law against serving a substitution.

B) https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/gross-ingredients-in-every-day-foods-2015-7

We've survived Anal secretions and crushed beetles, I'm thinking a bit of iron rich lean protein will be ok.

A) There is no reason to have a law against serving a substitution.

B) https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/gross-ingredients-in-every-day-foods-2015-7

We've survived Anal secretions and crushed beetles, I'm thinking a bit of iron rich lean protein will be ok.

Eat whatever you want and others will do the same. It’s ok not to want to eat certain foods. Not every child eats whatever isnt nailed down without question. Forgive me if I’m mistaken but wasn’t it you who used to be obese and recently dabbled in vegetarism or veganism? You seem to have very strong opinions about this considering. That is if I’m not mixing you up with some else.

Last edited:
But would you be upset if you found out you just ate dog or cat meat?

As a plant based eater with allergies you bet I look at the ingredient list in all my food before I buy it or order it. I prefer to eat my own food and it’s why I always try to rent an apartment or condo when travelling. Sadly their are people out there who think it’s hilarious to sneak animals in vegan’s food.
My own BIL told me that if I ever ate something at his house he would be proving to me that I wasn't actually Celiac. Because he would make sure that there was hidden gluten in everything.

And my MIL told me to just bring my own food because she wasn't reading one label or changing what or how she cooked. And that I should just assume that everything was contaminated.

My own BIL told me that if I ever ate something at his house he would be proving to me that I wasn't actually Celiac. Because he would make sure that there was hidden gluten in everything.

And my MIL told me to just bring my own food because she wasn't reading one label or changing what or how she cooked. And that I should just assume that everything was contaminated.

Well we may just be related.

I think the squeamishness about "not food" meats in this country is silly, and I personally wouldn't be upset at all over the inclusion of a leaner meat in the chili. Our school subs in ground turkey or pork sometimes, in whole or in part, without disclosure, and I don't see any difference. If the budget allows for a leaner, USDA-approved protein to be used, why not use it?

And I'm sorry, but comparisons to cats and dogs or even horses don't hold - kangaroos are not kept as domestic pets/companion animals in the U.S. We aren't used to eating it, true, but we're also not used to thinking of them in the anthropomorphized terms we think of our pets.

It absolutely holds to people who don’t eat any animals. Horses are kept domestically by many people in North America. Some people hate cats and dogs and do not see them as pets. A person has every right not to eat horses, kangaroos, elephants, lions, koala bears, dogs, cats, cows or chickens whether or not they’ve been ‘domesticated’ by humans as pets.

No one is telling you need to upset or squeamish. Others are and that’s ok too.

Eat whatever you want and others will do the same. It’s ok not want to eat certain foods. Not every child eats whatever isnt nailed down without question. Forgive me if I’m mistaken but wasn’t it you who used to be obese and recently dabbled in vegetarism or veganism? You seem to have very strong opinions about this considering. That is if I’m not mixing you up with some else.

No, I have never in my life been overweight or obese, although I'm not sure why that would matter in this or any discussion. I was a vegetarian for 5 years, mostly because I prefer the taste of a vegetable based diet, although in recent years I have developed a taste for seafood that I never enjoyed before. Your post regarding weight is disgusting and borders on weight shaming. Peoples' opinions are valid and welcome regardless of body size.

As for young elementary aged kids, most will eat based on taste, because they haven't developed food biases yet. If the chili was tasty, they ate it. If not, they ate probably ate the other things on their tray and had big snacks when they got home. They have no idea that eating kangaroo is undesirable vs. cow, because they don't truly comprehend what exactly that means.

As for what I ate as a kid, it was the 80's and 90's. Lunchables were considered a balanced meal, Sunny D was a breakfast staple, and the neighborhood hangout house always had mountain dew and pizza bagel bites at the ready. I'm not saying it was the healthiest, but childhood obesity rates were lower back then. Coincidence?

This discussion makes me miss dunkaroos.

I disagree, if chili is served, it probably has some type of meat. If one can’t consume pork, it’s up to them to find out what is in the chili. Dd has celiac, it’s up to her to find out of the food she is going to consume has an allergen, she can’t just assume it’s safe. If one is vegetarian, and doesn’t know what type of broth the potato soup is made with, it’s up to them to ask.

No, I have never in my life been overweight or obese, although I'm not sure why that would matter in this or any discussion. I was a vegetarian for 5 years, mostly because I prefer the taste of a vegetable based diet, although in recent years I have developed a taste for seafood that I never enjoyed before. Your post regarding weight is disgusting and borders on weight shaming. Peoples' opinions are valid and welcome regardless of body size.

As for young elementary aged kids, most will eat based on taste, because they haven't developed food biases yet. If the chili was tasty, they ate it. If not, they ate probably ate the other things on their tray and had big snacks when they got home. They have no idea that eating kangaroo is undesirable vs. cow, because they don't truly comprehend what exactly that means.

As for what I ate as a kid, it was the 80's and 90's. Lunchables were considered a balanced meal, Sunny D was a breakfast staple, and the neighborhood hangout house always had mountain dew and pizza bagel bites at the ready. I'm not saying it was the healthiest, but childhood obesity rates were lower back then. Coincidence?

This discussion makes me miss dunkaroos.

I don’t fat shame. I sincerely though you used to talk about being overweight and must have mixed you up with someone else. It’s definitey not ok to fat shame nor is it ok to shame anyone for their food choices that are not the same as your own. I hope we can agree on that.

Last edited:
I don’t fat shame. I sincerely though you used to talk about being overweight and must have mixed you up with someone else. It’s definitey not ok to fat shame nor is it ok to shame anyone for their food choices that are not the same as your own. I hope we can agree on that.

I didn't shame anyone's food choices. I said the chef should not have been fired over this. They didn't harm anyone, they simply served a healthier version of ground meat to the kids.

I didn't shame anyone's food choices. I said the chef should not have been fired over this. They didn't harm anyone, they simply served a healthier version of ground meat to the kids.

Healthier by your opinion. And by saying boo hoo to the kids that were upset by what they ate? Sounds like shaming to me.

Yeah sadly it’s a thing. Here’s an experiment. Tell your friends and family you will no longer be consuming any animal products ever again. Politely decline any offers of food at family gatherings, work lunches, Christmas parties. Bring your own dishes to share if you want. Come back and tell me their reactions.
I have no reason to disbelieve you - please don't immediately dismiss me either. I guess dietary restrictions, whether self-imposed or not, are just not that much of a novelty to me or mine.:confused3 We've got vegetarians in our family and vegans in my workplace and social circles. There are also large numbers of people with allergies/sensitivities. We accommodate one another or sometimes even completely cater to whatever the needs are - why wouldn't we? This really, really isn't such a big deal for everyone; I'm sorry if you routinely get a hard time. :flower3:

P.S. I've only ever cooked one full-on vegan meal for company and I had to get very specific advice from a vegan friend on how to completely avoid animal by-products like gelatin and honey. Not everybody immediately understands just what is and is not out of bounds. Rather than trying to "slip something in", is it possible honest mistakes are made? Some people inadvertently feed nut extracts or nut butters to people with nut allergies simply out of ignorance, for example.

Healthier by your opinion. And by saying boo hoo to the kids that were upset by what they ate? Sounds like shaming to me.
Where does it say the kids were upset? If he bought the meat from the supplier contracted by the school, and there wasn’t anything in his contract saying he could only use certain meats, he did nothing wrong. I hope he sues the district for wrongful termination.

Where does it say the kids were upset? If he bought the meat from the supplier contracted by the school, and there wasn’t anything in his contract saying he could only use certain meats, he did nothing wrong. I hope he sues the district for wrongful termination.

There's a lot more to the story of any of the kids getting sick from the meal.

Healthier by your opinion. And by saying boo hoo to the kids that were upset by what they ate?

Not by happyinwonderlands opinion, it met USDA standards, was approved by USDA and passed requirements for nutrition for school lunch food. Advertised in the school food suppliers pamplet. I haven't heard of any kids that were upset, some parents maybe.

These are from some local news reports.
some students reportedly became ill after eating the chili. (More to this too than is being reported.)

the school's head cook decided to use the meat because it is leaner and healthier than beef.

According to KSID, Frei was fired as head cook on Wednesday. Frei told the news outlet that he saw the meat advertised in a Sysco order catalog and received approval from Williams to buy the meat. He also told KSID Williams looked at the meat and gave him permission to use it. Williams denied to the news outlet that he was informed about ordering the meat, and added that if he had known it would never have happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter