Kangaroo Meat For Lunch

Julie's Haircut

DIS Veteran
Parents in Nebraska were hopping mad after the school cook mixed ground kangaroo meat in with the beef for the students' chili.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ho-served-kangaroo-meat-loses-job/1711057002/

The parents are leaping to conclusions if they think kangaroo meat is worse (worst? ;)) than the pink slime "beef" and "mechanically separated chicken" that is usually served.

By the way, I wonder how this was discovered. Maybe the teachers got suspicious when all the kids started jumping around after lunch.

I wonder how it was discovered, too. And, where did they get it? They’d pay a premium price too. I’ve had kangaroo before, but I don’t remember the taste. It couldn’t have been bad because I’m super picky.

I read an article that it caused kids major anxiety. Anxiety from what? Eating an animal that’s considered cute? It’s not like they were fine chowing down on Bessie.

My cousin has been pescaterian for as long as I can remember, but she will eat kangaroo on occasion as she gets too low in iron. Kangaroo is a very lean meat with high iron content, we are overpopulated with them so they are being culled (as opposed to being bred just to be eaten) and they don’t cause damage to the environment like hard hooved animals. So I don’t see anything at all wrong with giving kids kangaroo to eat; I just wonder how it was economically viable in Nebraska!

I think every person, children included, should be informed and able to decide whether they want to consume a certain animal. I remember when IKEA was putting horsemeat in their meatballs without listing the ingredient.

I don't recall ever knowing or asking what was in my school food. If it tasted good, we ate it. If not, we devoured everything in sight when we got home.

I heard this on the radio the other day at work. The DJ said that some of the kids got sick from the meat.

And, where did they get it?

It was advertised by the company that supplies the school with supplies, Sysco here. They said that he served it without consulting anyone and I think there is a lot more to this story than has come out. It is actually very healthy and very lean. Meets all the requirements for nutrition values for school lunches.

The DJ said that some of the kids got sick from the meat.

There's more to this to than is being told.

You would think Kangaroo meat would actually be more expensive than regular old beef, especially in Nebraska.

That's what I was thinking too. We have a burger restaurant here that sells burgers made of all kinds of different exotic meats and kangaroo is one of them - it is definitely more expensive than a regular beef burger.

I wonder how it was discovered, too. And, where did they get it? They’d pay a premium price too. I’ve had kangaroo before, but I don’t remember the taste. It couldn’t have been bad because I’m super picky.

I read an article that it caused kids major anxiety. Anxiety from what? Eating an animal that’s considered cute? It’s not like they were fine chowing down on Bessie.
My personal sentiments would lean towards this, but I also can’t argue with the point @Pink Partridge makes.
I am not against eating kangaroo. I am against being served something without my knowledge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter