Kangaroo Meat For Lunch

I guess for me, :confused: there's a bit of a mental block of not finding the vegan recipes very appealing-sounding and being unsure what constitutes a substantial entrée, compared to sides or salads or whatever. It really helped to have somebody reassure me with their opinion of what "good" choices were. This may not be a vegan (or vegetarian) thing, but lots of the people in my life with health-related dietary restrictions put effort into finding things that are "like" the things they can't have. I'm certainly no expert on any of it - I just want to provide an enjoyable experience to anybody that eats my food. :flower3:

People who are vegan are just thrilled that someone went out of their way to make something they could eat. I swear it could be carrot and apple slices on iceberg lettuce and you'd be thanked profusely and genuinely . I was on a plane all day today coming back from London and I know the airline I was on doesn't have a vegan option, just a vegetarian one so I just said no, I can't eat any of the meals offered. The flight attendants went out of their way even though I told them I brought my own snacks and found me tons of little snacks I could eat. I had a mini salsa and little crackers for dipping, a little bag of olives, hummus (the crackers had whey so I couldn't eat those), 3 bags of pretzels, chips, almonds, dried fruit blend, mini tic tacs pack, and more stuff I can't remember. Then they repeated it 5 hours into the flight. So yes there are very nice people who will do that and I'm always surprised and thankful.

I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian, but I usually have about three meatless dinners per week using standard ingredients. Nothing unfamiliar or out of the ordinary.

Some that are coincidentally vegan:

Stuffed Peppers
Cut any color bell pepper in half. Remove seeds and membranes. Saute some diced vegetables in oil, such as zucchini, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, etc. Mix with cooked white or brown rice. Add a can of diced tomatoes. Add a can of kidney/black/garbanzo beans. Add seasonings as desired. Stuff the pepper shells with the mixture. Pour tomato sauce on top. Bake until hot.

The stuffing can also be used for stuffed cabbage and burritos.

Vegetable Stew
Cut potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, parsnips, etc. into chunks. Put in dutch oven. Pour tomato juice or sauce on top. Season as desired. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook until tender. Can add mushrooms part of the way thru cooking. Add frozen peas the last 10 minutes.

Pasta with Vegetables
Cook practically any type of pasta. Save some pasta water. Saute one or several of practically any kind of chopped vegetables in oil. Peppers, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, garlic, zucchini, spinach, etc. Mix together and add a little of the reserved pasta water.

I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian, but I usually have about three meatless dinners per week using standard ingredients. Nothing unfamiliar or out of the ordinary.

Some that are coincidentally vegan:

Stuffed Peppers
Cut any color bell pepper in half. Remove seeds and membranes. Saute some diced vegetables in oil, such as zucchini, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, etc. Mix with cooked white or brown rice. Add a can of diced tomatoes. Add a can of kidney/black/garbanzo beans. Add seasonings as desired. Stuff the pepper shells with the mixture. Pour tomato sauce on top. Bake until hot.

The stuffing can also be used for stuffed cabbage and burritos.

Vegetable Stew
Cut potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, parsnips, etc. into chunks. Put in dutch oven. Pour tomato juice or sauce on top. Season as desired. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook until tender. Can add mushrooms part of the way thru cooking. Add frozen peas the last 10 minutes.

Pasta with Vegetables
Cook practically any type of pasta. Save some pasta water. Saute one or several of practically any kind of chopped vegetables in oil. Peppers, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, garlic, zucchini, spinach, etc. Mix together and add a little of the reserved pasta water.
Sounds delish - I'll bring my noodle salad. :thumbsup2

News last night:

Potter-Dix Public Schools Superintendent Mike Williams has resigned a week after students at the high school were served chili with kangaroo meat mixed with beef. The incident drew criticism and national attention.

We asked Williams if his resignation had anything to due with kangaroo meat being served to students on October 17th and if the resignation was his decision. Williams simply said "no comment".

Yeh, he knew nothing about it, LOL.

I suppose the onus is on the consumer to seek out ingredient info if they care enough to know what they’re eating (with health and safety standards being the responsibility of the restaurant, or school in this case). So long as there was no outright deceit regarding the ingredients, then I’d say the chef didn’t technically do anything wrong. Interesting, though, that he ran this by his superior for permission first. That tells me that he knew this could be controversial, and when it comes to matters of controversy, I feel it’s always best to be fully transparent from the start.

Insects are being discussed as a solution to some of the food issues we’re facing with our ever-growing population. An enterprising school chef could make a convincing argument for incorporating bugs onto the menu. For those of you who have no problem with kangaroo chili, would you feel differently if it came to light your children had been served insect chili? If so, is it because there is some moral obligation to disclose the use of insects that does not apply to kangaroo, and where do you draw that line?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20141014-time-to-put-bugs-on-the-menu

Only if it's "coincidentally" vegan using standard everyday ingredients. Nothing oddball like soba noodles, rice vinegar, coconut milk, or peanut sauce.
I can’t tell if you’re joking or not. :confused3 I have three of those ingredients in my cabinets right now. Sundays are “Soba Noodle Sundays” at my house. :blush: Just bought frozen waffles for the first time in my life, though. :laughing:

Unless the food served was labled as meeting certain dietary restrictions which the change in ingredients means it no longer met, or the food were not sourced safely/properly, or people asking for detailed ingredients were lied to about what was in the chili, I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with this.

. Interesting, though, that he ran this by his superior for permission first. That tells me that he knew this could be controversial, and when it comes to matters of controversy, I feel it’s always best to be fully transparent from the start.

I.

Or it might be policy, or the stanard prodeure for this chef, to run ingredient changes/ordering changes by a supervisor.

Last edited:
Yes---sorry. it was meant to say "labled" I have fixed it. l is right next to ö on a German keyboard. is it the not typical in english character which made you say it was the "weirdest one" you'Ve ever seen?

No, I’ve seen that character before. I was seeing it as the whole word, not what letter it could be if that makes sense lol

Only if it's "coincidentally" vegan using standard everyday ingredients. Nothing oddball like soba noodles, rice vinegar, coconut milk, or peanut sauce.

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not. :confused3 I have three of those ingredients in my cabinets right now. Sundays are “Soba Noodle Sundays” at my house. :blush: Just bought frozen waffles for the first time in my life, though. :laughing:

Partially kidding. Those ingredients, while not oddball, really aren't mainstream either. Most non-vegans have probably never used them.

Partially kidding. Those ingredients, while not oddball, really aren't mainstream either. Most non-vegans have probably never used them.

Thos ingredients are very mainstream IMO. I was using them long before becoming vegan. Heck even my meat and potatoes parents had rice wine vinegar in their cupboard. Coconut milk is used freely in ethnic cooking and I used it since my 20's to make curries.

I was going to say exactly what Hadley said - I've got the vinegar and canned coconut milk in my pantry. I use the coconut milk to make my own peanut sauce on the rare occasions I need it. I wouldn't say they're staples in my cooking by any means though and if I've ever come up with a vegan dish using them, it was purely unintentional. I don't think I've ever purchased soba noodles but I'm pretty sure if I did I'd use them for something that had meat, seafood or broth.
I'm not vegan and 3 out of 4 of those are in my (not very well stocked) pantry right now.
I wouldn't consider any of those things unusual or out of the mainstream.
:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter