Is the Magic Gone? My observations after returning for the first time in six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And anyone who uses the term 'cancel culture' or 'wokeness' doesn't need to say anything else since I already know where they stand.................LOL.

Nope, I definitely don't need to google anything. I just didn't imagine that a complaint about "politics" and "wokeness" simply was referring to inclusion. Carry on.

And anyone who uses the term 'cancel culture' or 'wokeness' doesn't need to say anything else since I already know where they stand.................LOL.

You might be surprised about where I stand.

Just saying.

Wow, all the anti-alcohol posts, can someone explain what is bad about it exactly? Cruise lines have bars everywhere on the ship, often with drink packages. Hotels everywhere have bars, often even pool bars where you can get a drink while at the pool with the family. Sports games serve beers to guests as they sit in the stands with their families. When on vacation, it’s nice to be able to unwind a bit with a drink. I can enjoy family time and appropriately supervise my kids with a beer in hand, what’s the problem?

P.S. The dole whip with rum is delicious.
I don't really drink so my opinion is a little biased. I don't understand the need to have a buzz in a place that is supposed to be entertaining and fun. I think if someone has to have a drink to get through the day they probably have a drinking problem. Go have fun without achool. I agree that it is probably a big contribution to the fights. Liquid courage is not good in a crowd that size.

I'm not against alcohol - I drink too. But I think there are guests who don't control their intake appropriately, and it reflects in their behavior, which impinges adversely on other guests.
In the 14 years that I've been visiting the parks at least annually, I've never once had my experience affected by another guest drinking alcohol. And we often visit during festivals. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe I'm too busy paying attention to my family and the fun we're having to notice others' behavior.

Costs are relative. If you compare a day in a park vs., say, an NFL game. The park is a bargain. Food is overpriced but you can usually find something that’s not too pricey and decent enough.

We haven’t been since 2016 where we used FP+ to great advantage. I don’t 7nderstand wha5 was so bad about it that they changed. Hopefully when we go back, 2-3 years, they will have replaced the current schemes.

I don't really drink so my opinion is a little biased. I don't understand the need to have a buzz in a place that is supposed to be entertaining and fun. I think if someone has to have a drink to get through the day they probably have a drinking problem. Go have fun without achool. I agree that it is probably a big contribution to the fights. Liquid courage is not good in a crowd that size.
There's a difference between needing a drink to get through the day and enjoying a drink while on vacation. And having a drink =/= having a buzz. I hate being buzzed or drunk but I very much enjoy alcoholic beverages. They're more complex/nuanced in flavor than most of the sickeningly sweet non-alcoholic beverages that are sold in Disney.

I really like bitter flavors and those really aren't prevalent in anything but alcohol. Now, If I could get a fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with a little rosemary syrup, topped with club soda at Disney, I'd be in heaven and would probably choose that over alcohol. But alas....

Just saying.
You said you won't touch it, and your overall experience was positive. It clearly wasn't enough to sour your experience, so it's a non-issue. You can stand wherever you like.

One thing that surprised me last month when we were there was that we had two experiences where restaurants were out of items they've always had in the past:

(1) Yak & Yeti had no lemonade. What?!? We couldn't believe it. This was at about noon, btw, not like they ran out after a busy day of lunches.
(2) Dine-O-Bites had no Tofutti of any flavor. I always go there for a Tofutti cone and they have never ever not had it. I asked the CM if there were somewhere else at DAK that would have it and she said that everyone was out.

There were other instances of this as well, but these are the two I remember.

These are not complaints--just observations. I chalk this up (or, in this case, down) to staff shortages and inexperienced CMs in new jobs.

This doesn't mean the magic isn't still there. It is, and overall, we had a great trip and are looking forward to our next one. Now if they'd just bring Bounceback back!

There's a difference between needing a drink to get through the day and enjoying a drink while on vacation. And having a drink =/= having a buzz. I hate being buzzed or drunk but I very much enjoy alcoholic beverages. They're more complex/nuanced in flavor than most of the sickeningly sweet non-alcoholic beverages that are sold in Disney.

I really like bitter flavors and those really aren't prevalent in anything but alcohol. Now, If I could get a fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with a little rosemary syrup, topped with club soda at Disney, I'd be in heaven and would probably choose that over alcohol. But alas....
Yeah IDK why/when/how but I remember the first time I saw these arguments on this Board (which to be fair are normally very puritan style over on the DL side) people started in with the need based argument, I just don't get it but I have to assume people have had some very disturbing experiences in the past in their day to day lives to come up with a viewpoint such that people use. It's an absurd (and I just can't think of a better descriptor) to apply to the masses of people who have had a drink on vacation much less Disney.

Just saying.

Unfortunately not much surprises me anymore but to be clear I actually could not tell what you were referring to which is what prompted my question in the first place.
In my follow up I should have used the word "comment" rather than "complaint" since it is more accurate description of your statement. I wasn't trying to imply you stood on any particular "side" moreso just trying to gauge your meaning.

All of the things a previous poster listed as potential references for your comment had already been started or in place at my last trip and I certainly didn't feel any kind of trip impact because of it. So I was basically asking "is there something else that is going on?"

Didn't mean to come across as harsh, should have read it before I posted. I just don't think it's a good idea to get drunk or buzzed in a park. It happens A LOT. If people have one or two, I could care less. There is more of an issue now that is for sure. The only point I was making. I just don't like people getting aggressive in the parks because they have had too much to drink. The last few times I have been there I have seen it and it is not cool.

If my wife could have a Moscow mule cooling down she would be happy as well...Happy I guess :)

Costs are relative. If you compare a day in a park vs., say, an NFL game. The park is a bargain. Food is overpriced but you can usually find something that’s not too pricey and decent enough.

We haven’t been since 2016 where we used FP+ to great advantage. I don’t 7nderstand wha5 was so bad about it that they changed.
Hopefully when we go back, 2-3 years, they will have replaced the current schemes.

They have been wanting to charge for FP (in whatever form) for a long time. So when any company starts charging extra for something that they used to include as part of what you were already paying, they are going to make changes - starting with the name of it - if for no other reason so that it no longer appears to be the same exact thing they included previously.

I would prefer, if they are going to charge for it, they made it just a digital version of the original, paper-ticket FP system, where you can't get one until you have entered the park and don't have to be up and selecting your first one at the nano-second it becomes 7:00:00am.

We haven’t been since 2016 where we used FP+ to great advantage. I don’t 7nderstand wha5 was so bad about it that they changed. Hopefully when we go back, 2-3 years, they will have replaced the current schemes.
From what I have heard other then the hardcores on places like this most didn't like the amount of planning required.

I actually think some befuddling things like Genie+ are attempts to squeeze more out of high earners while not entirely pricing out the less affluent (e.g. keep ticket prices sort of reasonable while giving options to upgrade for the more affluent).
What benefit is a lower ticket price if you are not able to really use many of the facilities with it?

No matter what happens the cost is going to increase in the times we live in. I think it would just be better for all to increase the ticket prices; Or alternatively move to something more similar to how Disneyland started: Several types of ticket options where you would be able to rely on an expected experience (Disneyland started with 5 or 6 categories of tickets).

I don't see supply for this experience ever catching up to demand so it is going to continue to be a high price. But Disney can definitely make the profits it needs but use a more transparent and fair model.

I really don't think the current model is working that well for either Disney or most customers. It *will* be replaced. Hopefully with something that puts consistency and transparency of the experience at a higher priority.

I would prefer, if they are going to charge for it, they made it just a digital version of the original, paper-ticket FP system, where you can't get one until you have entered the park and don't have to be up and selecting your first one at the nano-second it becomes 7:00:00am.
I second this :)

Read through most of the replies and don't have an issues with alcohol being served in the parks. I did take slight issue with a previous poster saying something along the lines of 'there's a difference between needing a drink to get through the day and getting drunk' and that just raised my yikes-o-meter. If you 'need' a drink, that sounds like it's an issue but I could be reading too much into that.

But in the same vein, someone holding a beer in one hand and their toddler's hand in the other is not a big deal. It's not like it's an illicit substance :rotfl2:There's no such thing as being second hand under the influence. The OP is putting their own inference on that parent's relationship with alcohol.

I'm turned off from drinking at WDW because it's usually hot and would make me feel so blegh but mostly it's the $$$ that is real deterrent LOL

I did take slight issue with a previous poster saying something along the lines of 'there's a difference between needing a drink to get through the day and getting drunk' and that just raised my yikes-o-meter. If you 'need' a drink, that sounds like it's an issue but I could be reading too much into that.

That isn't what PP said. At all. The actual words were "there's a difference between needing a drink to get through the day and enjoying a drink while on vacation".

You can turn the yikes-o-meter down lol.

Thanks for your post, OP. I really appreciate reading something that is positive about going to the parks while also still being realistic and pragmatic. Yours hit all those marks. Sometimes the negativity about the changes to the parks can get a bit overwhelming on here, so it was nice to read your thoughts.

This forum is such a small percentage of those who attend the parks that I think this little bubble/echo chamber can convince you that everyone feels upset with WDW. While they've certainly had some bad press of late, attendance seems to contradict the idea that people are overly upset - at least not enough to stop going.

And, while I've made this statement before on here, I think the hand wringing about long term damage is probably overstated. If, or more likely when, Disney begins to see a slow-down in park attendance, they'll merely institute various discounts and perks to attract visitors again and attendance will rise accordingly.

I also notice that often when people complain about the parks, they will throw out comparisons saying things like, "when I used to go to the parks in the 90s or early 2000s", I think to myself, "that was 20-30 years ago. I mean given that I'm of an age that used to go back then as well, I understand that it can seem like yesterday. But, in reality, some of those parents bringing their young children to the parks for the first time this year weren't even born during those good old days. So, they don't make the same types of comparisons that those of us who have been going for 20 years make. It gives them a very different perspective.

Anyway, all that to say, while I also miss the good old days, I recognize those are gone and not coming back, but I still love the parks and intend to continue going. I believe that, like you, I can still find and enjoy the magic.

Thanks for your post, OP. I really appreciate reading something that is positive about going to the parks while also still being realistic and pragmatic. Yours hit all those marks. Sometimes the negativity about the changes to the parks can get a bit overwhelming on here, so it was nice to read your thoughts.

This forum is such a small percentage of those who attend the parks that I think this little bubble/echo chamber can convince you that everyone feels upset with WDW. While they've certainly had some bad press of late, attendance seems to contradict the idea that people are overly upset - at least not enough to stop going.

And, while I've made this statement before on here, I think the hand wringing about long term damage is probably overstated. If, or more likely when, Disney begins to see a slow-down in park attendance, they'll merely institute various discounts and perks to attract visitors again and attendance will rise accordingly.

I also notice that often when people complain about the parks, they will throw out comparisons saying things like, "when I used to go to the parks in the 90s or early 2000s", I think to myself, "that was 20-30 years ago. I mean given that I'm of an age that used to go back then as well, I understand that it can seem like yesterday. But, in reality, some of those parents bringing their young children to the parks for the first time this year weren't even born during those good old days. So, they don't make the same types of comparisons that those of us who have been going for 20 years make. It gives them a very different perspective.

Anyway, all that to say, while I also miss the good old days, I recognize those are gone and not coming back, but I still love the parks and intend to continue going. I believe that, like you, I can still find and enjoy the magic.

I think if the expected recession comes, we may see a change from Disney. I remember how it was after 2008, they were begging people to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter