Is the Magic Gone? My observations after returning for the first time in six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your post. I'm visiting in September with my adult daughter and her friend from college (first timer!); our last trip was 4 years ago. I have a similar positive attitude, although my one disagreement is that as we do appreciate the option of the occasional adult beverage during the day. There are MANY visitors that do not have the past iterations of WDW to compare to, so I try to keep that in mind when reading the recent complaints. We considered ourselves "pros," with trips every other year as my kids grew up. Now much feels different, but I really appreciate the positive vibe.

I'll add my two cents - we used to go every 18 to 24 months from 2006 to 2018. We saw the gradual decline over those years. Our last two trips (2018 and 2022) were the last straws. 2018 was a disaster between bad CM interactions, rides down during exclusive time, bad food, power outage at our resort (POFQ)... we were resolved at that point that we probably weren't going back, at least for a while. When we went in March of this year all it did was confirm all the bad experiences we'd had four years earlier along with bigger crowds and more complicated , well nigh on impossible planning. I hang on, hopeful that Disney will figure it out and do something earth shaking to get loyalists like me back, but my hope fades more every time they do something to monetize a former free perk (parking/magical express/etc) or offer a diminished version of something for a higher price (MNSSHP/FoF Parade). Maybe I'm just sensitive to feeling like someone is trying to pull a fast one on me. Maybe I'm just old school (I am right on the cusp of the baby boomer generation). But if I pay an exorbitant amount of money for an experience, I think it's fair to come out of that experience and not have to think that I paid too much for it... whatever it is.

I'm sure you don't mean to say that as long as someone is not with kids, it's okay for them to be falling down drunk.

I don't mind people drinking in the parks - I just don't think that WDW guests should have to deal with people who are falling down drunk and behaving inappropriately, whether they're "with" kids or not.
No it’s not ok, but at at least their not responsible for someone else. It’s kind of embarrassing in my opinion. I think people get dehydrated and the alcohol sneaks up on them. One glass of water for every drink gets forgotten. I don’t get how people afford to over do it at WDW that’s the biggest mystery to me.

Love your post. I'm visiting in September with my adult daughter and her friend from college (first timer!); our last trip was 4 years ago. I have a similar positive attitude, although my one disagreement is that as we do appreciate the option of the occasional adult beverage during the day. There are MANY visitors that do not have the past iterations of WDW to compare to, so I try to keep that in mind when reading the recent complaints. We considered ourselves "pros," with trips every other year as my kids grew up. Now much feels different, but I really appreciate the positive vibe.
A vacation is what you make of it. We had a great time despite the changes. Enjoy your time with daughter.

If people pace themselves, drinking shouldn't be an issue (especially at these prices, MIRight?). If you're blitzed in the mid afternoon, that's a you problem, and you might want to consider a different kind of vacation.

OP, I agree with your thoughts on the liquor in WDW. You used to be able to get a drink with your meal at resort restaurants. Now? It's in every park. I never thought it was a good idea either, so you are not alone in that comment.
Alcohol , by its nature, lower inhibitions and thats not a good thing for many people…..

I was always against brining alcohol into a park mainly made for children….but like many things Disney now, it brings in the money.

Nothing like having to explain to our kids why the drunk in the corner is puking in the bushes…..or why people are fighting each other over stupid stuff

If we have alcohol?? Why no marijuana? Its really no different right? Thats what everyone says? Lets get a CBD treat shop! And while we are at it, a clean place to shoot up!!!

Some places should just be mind alerting substance free….its better for all guests.

Alcohol , by its nature, lower inhibitions and thats not a good thing for many people…..

I was always against brining alcohol into a park main made for children….but like many things Disney now, it brings in the money.

Nothing like having to explain to hour kids why the drunk in the corner is puking in the bushes…..

If we have alcohol?? Why no marijuana? Its really no different right? Thats what everyone says? Lets get a CBD treat shop! And while we are at it, a clean place to shoot up!!!

Some places should just be mind alerting substance free….its better for all guests.
We'll get all that when MK opens its red light district. Kidding, relax. You're getting a little extreme.

My family has been visiting WDW since 1987. Not every year any more because my kids are grown with families. We went together last October, the week Genie + launched in fact, and had a blast. we bought Genie+ and ILL and used them to our definite advantage. the magic was clearly there for us. Did Universal at the end of that week, and outside of Wizarding World, we felt Disney was better. by the second day at UO, I felt like I was riding the same simulator with different videos. Reinforces to me that there are parks for everyone.

The alcohol observation does get brought up over time however my observations seem to be there are more issues at WDW in comparison to Universal. Universal has not shied away from alcohol. I don't really think alcohol is the problem.

My family has been visiting WDW since 1987. Not every year any more because my kids are grown with families. We went together last October, the week Genie + launched in fact, and had a blast. we bought Genie+ and ILL and used them to our definite advantage. the magic was clearly there for us. Did Universal at the end of that week, and outside of Wizarding World, we felt Disney was better. by the second day at UO, I felt like I was riding the same simulator with different videos. Reinforces to me that there are parks for everyone.
I do think Universal is shifting a tad at least from ride after ride after ride of screen-based rides which is a totally fair complaint.

You've got Hagrid's and VelociCoaster and Bourne show which may have a screen but mixes it with live action and amazing AI (which one of the TMs for the show when it briefly paused said it had 5,000 4k panels which is astounding, seriously).

I know they will be adding more screen based rides in but at least there's been some variety in the last several years. Meanwhile at WDW I almost feel like they got jealous of USO and added more of their own in recent years you've got FOP, Guardians, Minnie and Mickey's, Remy, Smuggler's Run, and Rise although that does have animatronics and some other things so I may sorta compare that a bit more with Bourne in that it's not fully screen based.

I know they will be adding more screen based rides in but at least there's been some variety in the last several years. Meanwhile at WDW I almost feel like they got jealous of USO and added more of their own in recent years you've got FOP, Guardians, Minnie and Mickey's, Remy, Smuggler's Run, and Rise although that does have animatronics and some other things so I may sorta compare that a bit more with Bourne in that it's not fully screen based.
I was actually going to write this out in my initial post on this thread but chose not to. I agree that in some ways Disney is actually trying to emulate Universal. It's no secret that screen based rides are cheaper to make than ones full of physical sets and animatronics. If anything Remy and Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railway totally give me vibes of rides that would fit in with Universal's screen based attractions. Not saying they're bad but they do remind me of the rides Universal has been receiving criticism about for years.

Over the years, the cost of Disney has increased much faster then general inflation or other places we like to go on vacation. Monorail resorts are around $500/day and just don't see it is worth it. Disney vacation costs roughly 2x as much as other places we like to go. The whole Genie thing seems like a money grab in addition to the already high cost of park tickets. They eliminated DME and Genie is the pay option replacing FastPass that also used to be free. Combine that with the overcrowded parks and now it also takes 2x as long to do the same number of rides as in the past. Others can try to rationalize why they still go, but we get far more value for our vacation $$$ at most other places and have no current plans to return to Disney anytime soon.

The people making the nasty comments about spending on genie+ and ILL don’t want to know what we’ve spent on riding the new Guardians coaster! But we love it and are having a great time so I don’t feel like a fool or a sucker - just someone fortunate enough to go on a very expensive holiday.

I still can't believe someone spent $700 on Genie+ and ILL

I think it's all about the lens you see things through. Personally, I don't understand why people spend lots of money on (for example) big houses, fancy cars, motorcycles, boats, concerts, designer clothes and shoes, big TVs, Starbucks, the latest electronics, expensive phones, etc. But if those things make other people happy, who I am to judge? On the other hand, travel is very important to us, and we tend to splurge on vacation. We like Genie+ and ILL$, so we'll spend our money on that, adding Genie+ to all of our park days and purchasing every ILL$ we can (we have Park Hoppers, so we'll likely do two ILL$ per day every day). WDW makes us happy (as does all travel), so this is what we choose to spend our money on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter