Is the Magic Gone? My observations after returning for the first time in six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if the expected recession comes, we may see a change from Disney. I remember how it was after 2008, they were begging people to come back.
Agreed. And, I suspect a lot of people who have sworn off going will be wooed back when that day comes and Disney starts throwing out those incentives. While I'd never wish for a recession, I sure wouldn't mind seeing some of those incentives come back, I have to admit. :)

there is currently a lot of aggression in the parks that has nothing at all to do with alcohol.

After 2001 they were shutting down entire resorts because they could not get people to fly down there. There were some great room discounts back then.

I don't really drink so my opinion is a little biased. I don't understand the need to have a buzz in a place that is supposed to be entertaining and fun. I think if someone has to have a drink to get through the day they probably have a drinking problem. Go have fun without achool. I agree that it is probably a big contribution to the fights. Liquid courage is not good in a crowd that size.
People that drink on vacation don’t need to drink to get through the day. According to that theory 80% of adults that visit WDW would be in your mind an alcoholic. They drink because their on vacation and alcoholic drinks taste good especially the frozen ones on a hot day. :drinking1

People that drink on vacation don’t need to drink to get through the day. According to that theory 80% of adults that visit WDW would be in your mind an alcoholic. They drink because their on vacation and alcoholic drinks taste good especially the frozen ones on a hot day. :drinking1
Agree—the argument of “why do you ‘need’ a drink when you’re already in a fun place” makes no sense. Should people only ever drink alcohol when they are somewhere where they are bored or miserable? That frankly sounds like more troubling behavior than having a drink while you are at a theme park having a good time.

Agreed. And, I suspect a lot of people who have sworn off going will be wooed back when that day comes and Disney starts throwing out those incentives. While I'd never wish for a recession, I sure wouldn't mind seeing some of those incentives come back, I have to admit. :)
If you are one of the lucky ones that can take advantage of them that will be great. The problem this go-around is that inflation for necessities is leaving many people without any discretionary income. Savings accounts are already at a 14-year low and credit card debt is through the moon. My Summer vacations this year are paid for, but next year I predict we will be spending a lot less money on the fun stuff and a lot more money on the non-fun stuff. If there are good discounts on the fun stuff maybe it will balance out, but we shall see. I'm not optimistic.

It's been a few years since I've been back. Life malfunctions got in the way.

I figure there have been enough changes that I might as well treat it as a whole new adventure. Since it will be. First time I've had to go alone.
Everything changes - it's up to us to change with it, or change our plans entirely.

Like some of the PPs, I don't really see a problem with alcohol being served in parks, although I'd rather see it limited to restaurants and resorts. I'm fond of a drink once in a while, and even though the lounge prices at Disney horrify me, I'll have a few while I'm there. 🍸

My thought is that possibly the over-serving of alcohol may be behind some of the observed poor behavior (aka Stupid Guest Tricks).
Most of the lounges I'm familiar with have a cut-off systemt. But I don't see how this could apply at WDW, where one can just wander off, and visit another place, which has no knowledge of their previous consumption, and is perfectly willing to serve them, if they're not already showing signs of having passed their limit.
No, I don't know how to prevent this, but it's something to ponder.

Just my 5¢ worth. YMMV

I don't really drink so my opinion is a little biased. I don't understand the need to have a buzz in a place that is supposed to be entertaining and fun. I think if someone has to have a drink to get through the day they probably have a drinking problem. Go have fun without achool. I agree that it is probably a big contribution to the fights. Liquid courage is not good in a crowd that size.
Not a huge drinker, but I do love a good old fashion at Polite Pig 3 times a day on vacation. You don’t have the “right” to deem places “entertaining and fun” this is how we ended up with the failure that is prohibition. There is also no need to blame alcohol on social deteriation, this is your anti alcohol bias skirt slipping out. Google search MANY peer reviewed social studies (not hard to find), “booze” is very low down the ladder on things that cause violent/unkind behavior. Falls way below poverty, lack of education, fatherless homes, and mental health issues.

The angst in the parks is why we cut back on visits, as we noticed a large change in crowd attitudes over 20 years. This IS NOT A DISNEY PROBLEM, nor is really that exacerbated by Coors lite. Peek your head outside, goto a crowded metro area, heck use a airport 🥵… it’s everywhere.

I don't think the magic's gone, but I do think that Disney is making some poor choices right now with regard to its most loyal WDW patrons. I'm not going to say we'll never go back - that would be foolish and disingenuous. But I will say that we will be spending our dollars elsewhere for awhile until things at WDW improve a bit. You may notice I am specifically calling out WDW, and not 'Disney'. That is because I still hear good things about Disneyland. I still hear good things about overseas parks. And to the extent I need to fill my Disney fix - I'll be concentrating on those locations. Sure, Disney will still get my money in the end, but WDW will not be receiving any of my previously loyal every-other-year-thousands-of-dollars-spent vacation funds. That money will be going to the good people of Japan in 2023 (and, incidentally, to the good people at Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea). We might be willing to try WDW again in 2024, if they reverse the 50% borrowing freeze on DVC points, but then we might not. DD loved Aulani, and our points could very well be spent there.

We have been advising all of our friends (who look to us as the resident experts on Disney vacations) to do the same, and put off their own WDW vacations. WDW is just not in a good place right now. We have confidence it will find itself again, someday.

I don't think the magic's gone, but I do think that Disney is making some poor choices right now with regard to its most loyal WDW patrons. I'm not going to say we'll never go back - that would be foolish and disingenuous. But I will say that we will be spending our dollars elsewhere for awhile until things at WDW improve a bit. You may notice I am specifically calling out WDW, and not 'Disney'. That is because I still hear good things about Disneyland. I still hear good things about overseas parks. And to the extent I need to fill my Disney fix - I'll be concentrating on those locations. Sure, Disney will still get my money in the end, but WDW will not be receiving any of my previously loyal every-other-year-thousands-of-dollars-spent vacation funds. That money will be going to the good people of Japan in 2023 (and, incidentally, to the good people at Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea). We might be willing to try WDW again in 2024, if they reverse the 50% borrowing freeze on DVC points, but then we might not. DD loved Aulani, and our points could very well be spent there.

We have been advising all of our friends (who look to us as the resident experts on Disney vacations) to do the same, and put off their own WDW vacations. WDW is just not in a good place right now. We have confidence it will find itself again, someday.
Honest point of view ...
We are looking hard at Aulani next year (with a few days in DL) along with Hilton Head over the winter - as alternatives.

Honest point of view ...
We are looking hard at Aulani next year (with a few days in DL) along with Hilton Head over the winter - as alternatives.
Sorry to butt in but I'm heading to Hilton Head this August. I went last year as well with my entire family and it was one of the best vacations I had in a long time. Super relaxing and has just enough Disney theming to tide me over. Even if you're not staying at the Disney resort I think you'll have a great time if you ever decide to go.

Sorry to butt in but I'm heading to Hilton Head this August. I went last year as well with my entire family and it was one of the best vacations I had in a long time. Super relaxing and has just enough Disney theming to tide me over. Even if you're not staying at the Disney resort I think you'll have a great time if you ever decide to go.
Always appreciate an inside view / experience. Thank you. We have been eyeing it for a while. As I posted elsewhere, while having DVC is nice, going to WDW inevitably for us means buying tickets, and without an AP option - it is costing a small fortune (not that Disney Park Tickets were ever on the low side :) - at least in recent years)

I grew disillusioned with Disney a few years back after multiple changes. I forgot all about my gripes and grievances on my very next trip. The truth is that there’s still no other place I’d rather be.

Not a huge drinker, but I do love a good old fashion at Polite Pig 3 times a day on vacation. You don’t have the “right” to deem places “entertaining and fun” this is how we ended up with the failure that is prohibition. There is also no need to blame alcohol on social deteriation, this is your anti alcohol bias skirt slipping out. Google search MANY peer reviewed social studies (not hard to find), “booze” is very low down the ladder on things that cause violent/unkind behavior. Falls way below poverty, lack of education, fatherless homes, and mental health issues.

The angst in the parks is why we cut back on visits, as we noticed a large change in crowd attitudes over 20 years. This IS NOT A DISNEY PROBLEM, nor is really that exacerbated by Coors lite. Peek your head outside, goto a crowded metro area, heck use a airport 🥵… it’s everywhere.
I don't have the right to have an opinion???

I normally just walk away from these comments, but I have to disagree with you. There are PLENTY of studies that show that alcohol elevates violence in even moderate consumption. If you would have read my comment a few posts down you might not have jumped down my throat. In no way did I say ban alcohol, just don't overdo it. I must point out the inaccurate statement about alcohol. Just read studies on it like the one below.

https://www.alcohol.org/effects/drinking-and-fighting/

Nobody needs to have an alcoholic drink in the park just like nobody needs to ride a roller coaster or meet a character. People go to WDW because they want to enjoy themselves. Someone may not understand why you want to get your picture taken with Pooh Bear or ride something that drops you over and over again just like you may not understand why someone wants to have an alcoholic drink with their meal or an ice cold beer with their pretzel in World Showcase. I generally hate fireworks and crowds (22 years Active Duty military) so I have no idea why people like to stand in a crowd for two hours in front of a castle to see a fireworks show. Different people have different ways to have fun and that's one of the great things about WDW.

It's not up any of us to tell others which part of the WDW vacation they need or don't need.

Nobody needs to have an alcoholic drink in the park just like nobody needs to ride a roller coaster or meet a character. People go to WDW because they want to enjoy themselves. Someone may not understand why you want to get your picture taken with Pooh Bear or ride something that drops you over and over again just like you may not understand why someone wants to have an alcoholic drink with their meal or an ice cold beer with their pretzel in World Showcase. I generally hate fireworks and crowds (22 years Active Duty military) so I have no idea why people like to stand in a crowd for two hours in front of a castle to see a fireworks show. Different people have different ways to have fun and that's one of the great things about WDW.

It's not up any of us to tell others which part of the WDW vacation they need or don't need.
Thank you for your service sir. I was not telling anyone what to do, just stating my opinion.

We used to go to WDW all the time, like at least every year. had APs even though we are on the West Coast. Then one year we felt like it was changing (many of you will laugh at this now) so we stopped and started spending our vacations in Europe. From business travel I had almost 2M miles built up anyway so was easy to spend on Europe. Anyway this year is our first time back in over 12 years. We were shocked at the prices but we’re going anyway. We are quite interested to see how the magic will be for us. It used to feel like Christmas morning for a little kid every time we returned (Until we started feeling like it wasn’t and quit going), so I will be sure to report back.

We used to go to WDW all the time, like at least every year. had APs even though we are on the West Coast. Then one year we felt like it was changing (many of you will laugh at this now) so we stopped and started spending our vacations in Europe. From business travel I had almost 2M miles built up anyway so was easy to spend on Europe. Anyway this year is our first time back in over 12 years. We were shocked at the prices but we’re going anyway. We are quite interested to see how the magic will be for us. It used to feel like Christmas morning for a little kid every time we returned (Until we started feeling like it wasn’t and quit going), so I will be sure to report back.
Go have fun and block out all the noise, it is still magical!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter