Is the Magic Gone? My observations after returning for the first time in six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tentaguasu

Mouseketeer
I just went back to Disney World after about six years away. As with most folks on this board, I’ve heard a lot of doom and gloom about where Disney is headed. I was worried.

Well, after two weeks there, my conclusion is that the magic is very much alive. In fact, for a visitor like me, all things considered, Disney is better than ever.

Here’s why:

The cast members

The cast members were, largely, just fine. Maybe not over the top magical, but mostly quite friendly and helpful. I did have a few that were not great, but I realize that Disney, like most businesses, is struggling to find workers. So for now, you staff with the people you can get, and I can’t blame Disney too much for the tough market for entry-level service work. In short, I don’t interpret somewhat lower cast member quality as a Disney failing as much as a “that’s where we are as a country right now” thing. (Personally, I think businesses need to buckle down and pay more – good old free market supply and demand works both ways – but that’s a different conversation.)

Imagineering

I can’t wrap my mind around anything other than being impressed with what they’re doing. From a sheer technical standpoint, some of the most recent stuff is, frankly, amazing. Rise of the Resistance was flat out breathtaking. The scope and creativity was off the charts, IMO. Flight of Passage was also very ambitious. It's hard to compare something like Haunted Mansion with RotR. I honestly love both but, nostalgia aside, I have a hard time thinking RotR comes out second in that comparison.

A few of the newer rides, while not necessarily technical marvels, are still just… fun. I can’t quite describe why, but Slinky Dog is a blast. Just fun and enjoyable. MMRR was more fun each time I rode it, full of little surprises and things I’d missed in past rides. I was worried about it being to heavily projection mapped, but (while it’s used a lot) it still worked quite well overall. Frozen Ever after is a nice ride. Nothing spectacular, but in my opinion it’s better than, say, Peter Pan.

Some of the new queues are works of art. Compare RotR or FoP – both of which have amazing, immersive queues – with, say, Soarin’, which is a disaster of a queue. The older rides are generally worse. Outside of Pirates, I can’t think of a queue on an older ride that even comes close to the modern stuff. I wasn’t a fan of Smugglers Run as a ride, but actually being inside a photorealistic copy of the Falcon was amazing and trippy. I also love how both RotR and FoP are turning the queue into a multi-stage drama all of its own. That’s smart and makes for a better experience.

I just don’t see how the more modern rides take a back seat to the classics.

Ambition

We all want to see Disney take big risks and do big things. From my view, they’re doing fine with that. I don’t think we’ll ever see anything quite as ambitious and crazy as Animal Kingdom (and the Safari more specifically). That’s a gigantic, super immersive, super expensive project that created an entirely new theme park effectively disconnected from any big IP. I mean, think about how crazy Safari is – recreating another continent’s ecosystem and filling it with animals? And then having a 15-minute ride through? I can’t imagine that getting green lit today. I don’t know how it got green lit then (but thank goodness it did). But overall, I still think they’re being pretty ambitious.

But it’s hard to look at, say, Galaxy’s Edge and think they’re playing it safe. That’s an incredibly deep, thoughtful, and interesting new land. I keep praising RotR, but the scope is huge and technically challenging. Sure, Star Wars is a slam dunk property, but they could have played it super easy and safe, focusing entirely on the classic characters and places. Instead of a unique land, they could have just played to the obvious hits. They were more creative and ambitious, which I appreciate (even if some don’t).

The Galactic Starcruiser is many things, but it’s not a “safe play” by Disney. Love it or hate it, that’s ambitious and creative.

Food

At least in the time I’ve been coming to Disney, the food has gotten better and more creative, at least at the parks themselves. (Signature dining may be a different deal, I’m not sure.) Satu'li Canteen, Docking Bay 7, Rontos Roasters, etc. There are lots of interesting in-park eats that go way beyond the hot dogs and hamburgers of times gone by. It’s vastly overpriced, but that’s a different discussion. Which leads me to…

Costs

I hate how expensive Disney is, but there’s a very good argument that it’s underpriced. Right now, it’s crowded as heck. There are only three ways to fix this: increase capacity (i.e. new rides or even a new gate), limit entry (forcibly keep reservations down and turn paying guests away), or raise prices. I’d love to see them expand capacity, but absent them doing that really, they can’t possibly charge less. If they did, the parks would be absolutely overflowing and they’d have to close them down. Right now, they’re charging what the market bears. It’s my fault and yours – we go, signaling that it’s worth what they’re charging. (And those of you who refuse to go at the current costs, well, that’s the point. More money from fewer guests is a win for Disney – and for the fans who can afford it.)

I’d even argue that the problem is more about the nature of society than anything Disney is doing.

Think about this – the US population is 55 million more people than it was even when Animal Kingdom was built in 1998! (Western Europe is up something like 32 million. Brazil is up more than 40 million.) Even ignoring foreign visitors and even if Disney only caters to the top 10% of the US population, that 5 million new potential guests.

And income is more unequally distributed, making the top end of the market relatively wealthier. To a large extent, our basic needs are well met. Particularly at the top of the income distribution – houses are bigger across the board, calorie consumption is up across the board. We’re just better off, particularly at the top. So while it’s true that Disney is becoming unaffordable to many families, there is still a huge and growing population of well-to-do (or well-to-do enough) families that, just have more money to dump into things like Disney. (Personally, Disney is an absolute stretch for me, even staying off site and using credit card points to pay my hotel. But guess what – I stretched. It was, at the end of the day, doable.)

Put another way, I’m not so sure it’s Disney changing as it is Disney reacting to society changing.

On a day-to-day basis, I can’t really complain about it being too expensive. I mean, I paid it, so I must think it’s “worth it” in some way. I’d like it to be less expensive and for it to be less crowded but how is that realistically going to happen?

But back to increasing capacity…

Penny pinching

I’m not sure what to think about penny pinching, i.e. not investing enough. On the one hand, they’ve created new lands like Galaxy’s Edge and Pandora. On the other hand, they’re still probably way behind in attraction creation to keep up with crowds. They could expand the pool of visitors, keep costs down by increasing supply, and build the next generation of Disney fans by investing more in the parks. I’d love more huge, ambitious projects, but at the very least it seems to me that AK and HS need a few core, high-capacity people eaters. (A true E-ticket people eater would be optimal!)

In short, I’d like to see Disney do more, but I’d probably always say that.

What about Genie+?

Eh, there’s not a good solution there. I don’t think Genie+ is necessarily the solution, but I can’t fault Disney too much for making a go of it. A lot of you like the Express Pass over at Universal, but that (to me) is the ultimate in “the rich get what they want and the others are out of luck” situation. I personally like that Genie+ is a somewhat more gentle approach. FastPass+ was great for power users like me (and most of you), but had its own issues.

In any event, I’m sure they’ll keep tinkering with it. We can harp on all the problems with it, but it certainly doesn’t ruin the vacation or anything. Hopefully they work out a better system.

What about the politics, wokeness, etc.?

I won’t touch that with a 10-foot pole. I know what I think, you know what you think. I’ll leave it at that.

What isn’t so magical

Downtime. Come on Disney. Pay the tech people whatever it takes and get those rides running smoothly and consistently. No excuse for that, IMO.

Honestly? And I know this is going to be controversial, but the biggest single “magic stealer” of all is the incessant, over-the-top amount of alcohol in the parks. I think it finally went over the line for me when, in AK, they asked me if I wanted liquor in my Dole whip. Seeing tons of guests with a beer in one hand and a toddler’s hand in the other was off-putting to me. I’ll start another thread at some point to discuss this. Again, I know I’m in the minority on that, but it was a bummer IMO.

So why the complaints?

I think it’s in our nature to complain, but I also think it reflects different types of guests. Many on here are multiple-times-per-year visitors, or at least every couple of years. Many are also moderate to luxury resort visitors. For you, I’d guess that two things are happening. First, you may be noticing the cast member deficiencies that are invisible to the average park going guest. I imagine that one might expect more out of the person attending to you at the Grand Floridian than I’m expecting from the guy loading PotC. Second, you’re there more often, so you’re comparing today’s hamburger to yesterday’s hamburger. For a “once every 3-5 years” guy, I’m comparing today’s hamburger to yesterday’s empty plate.

Conclusion

A good amount of what we’re complaining about – overcrowding, sky-high costs, lowered staff quality – is, I think, more a reflection of issues in society generally than Disney. That’s what you get with a larger population and incoming inequality that gives you a significant population of people with a lot of disposable income. Mix that with a hard hiring market and some Covid hangover and you end up millions of people willing to pay top dollar for what Disney does and Disney struggling to get quality staff.

In sum, I just don’t see any reason to think Disney has “lost the Magic” for most guests.

In fact, in terms of the core theme park experience – rides, lands, and food – I think Disney is better than ever.

Interesting points. I agree that the income inequality point you made accounts for Disney's current direction and I would also agree that they probably could be charging more. The negative side to that is, while you may be catering to people with more money to spend, those people will generally be more demanding in terms of goods and services provided (or not provided). You can't charge top dollar and serve poor quality food (while some food is indeed, more creative, other dishes have suffered a noticeable decline in quality). You can't charge exorbitant resort rates and not provide good housekeeping and updated rooms. You can't charge ridiculous park ticket prices and then expect guests to stand on hour long lines, or not be able to get on some rides at all.

I also think that demographics play a part, as baby boomers who brought their kids are now bringing their grandchildren. Just a big market of repeat and loyal customers for Disney, but I don't see this wave continuing into the next generation.

All of the above needs fixing. Right now there is a lot of pent up demand and people are throwing money at Disney willingly. I can't see this continuing in the long term at the current standards of customer service. My family is currently there and while they are having a good time, there have been some disappointing experiences in each of the above categories. This trip was budgeted less than normal in order to temper expectations and I am glad that we did that.

No business is guaranteed continuing success, not even Disney.

Just a big market of repeat and loyal customers for Disney, but I don't see this wave continuing into the next generation.

I think that's one of Disney's biggest challenges. If they end up turning themselves into a luxury brand, it's going to be harder and harder to keep a big, strong "base of the pyramid" for future generations. But then again, the way our economic system is set up incentivizes leadership to prioritize short to mid-term profits. What incentive does Chapek have to worry about Disney in 50 years? And I'm not blaming him for that. How many of us would take a reduced salary now or face heat from our bosses under the theory that "it's best for the long term, probably after I'm dead"?

I actually think some befuddling things like Genie+ are attempts to squeeze more out of high earners while not entirely pricing out the less affluent (e.g. keep ticket prices sort of reasonable while giving options to upgrade for the more affluent).

From my perspective, Disney "magic" is based on a very complex underlying ecosystem spanning a long number of years, technological innovation step-changes, shifts in societal attitudes, and beyond just the parks themselves (i.e. new, expanding or refreshed IP), so I am absolutely fascinated by the sheer volume of conjecture and speculation about what works or doesn't work at any given point of time that it generates on a daily basis.

I am personally not fussed into sorting things into broad generalized categories, but to each their own - and that's probably the way it should be. Disney will survive and prosper or it won't. Hard to imagine I know, there are people on this planet, that could absolutely care less about Disney, and they never will. For those that do have an interest one way or the other, the broader market and competition will continue to exert its influence on how well Disney holds its ongoing value into the future and whether there will a 100-year celebration or not.

Terrific post. We are headed there next week after a 5yr hiatus and I hold most of the same views you do. I am expecting it to be much better than the doom and gloomers are selling. At the end of the day you make the best of what it is and enjoy the time with family!

Interesting points, thanks for sharing your perspective. I agree with your section on cast members. On my May trip I noticed a lot of Cast Members, the majority of them being part of the College program, complaining about their coworkers/guests/the job in front of guests. IMO not exactly professional to do that in front of guests but I can't say I blame them either. My sister used to work at the Magic Kingdom (not in the College program) and it was one of the worst jobs she ever had. It paid horribly and she was treated horribly by guests and her manager. Unless Disney pays better and stops treating their employees badly, I don't see the Cast Member shortage ending any time soon.

On your point about ambition, I do feel like Pandora and to an extent Galaxy's Edge were Disney's responses to the Wizarding World at Universal. Pandora is beautiful and fits well into Animal Kingdom, but truthfully it is based on an IP not many people care about. Having seen both Wizarding World and Galaxy's Edge on my last trip, I feel like Wizarding World is the better themed, more immersive land. Galaxy's Edge feels like it's missing something to me but I've never seen Star Wars so my opinion shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Food

At least in the time I’ve been coming to Disney, the food has gotten better and more creative, at least at the parks themselves. (Signature dining may be a different deal, I’m not sure.) Satu'li Canteen, Docking Bay 7, Rontos Roasters, etc. There are lots of interesting in-park eats that go way beyond the hot dogs and hamburgers of times gone by. It’s vastly overpriced, but that’s a different discussion. Which leads me to…
I agree with this. Food is better than ever, and, imo, WDW food is better than DLR/DCA. We had made several trips in the early 80s, two in the 90s, and then our next trip was 19, after a 26-year hiatus. The food and service is notably better than what we remembered from years ago.

Interesting points. I agree that the income inequality point you made accounts for Disney's current direction and I would also agree that they probably could be charging more. The negative side to that is, while you may be catering to people with more money to spend, those people will generally be more demanding in terms of goods and services provided (or not provided). You can't charge top dollar and serve poor quality food (while some food is indeed, more creative, other dishes have suffered a noticeable decline in quality). You can't charge exorbitant resort rates and not provide good housekeeping and updated rooms. You can't charge ridiculous park ticket prices and then expect guests to stand on hour long lines, or not be able to get on some rides at all.

I also think that demographics play a part, as baby boomers who brought their kids are now bringing their grandchildren. Just a big market of repeat and loyal customers for Disney, but I don't see this wave continuing into the next generation.

All of the above needs fixing. Right now there is a lot of pent up demand and people are throwing money at Disney willingly. I can't see this continuing in the long term at the current standards of customer service. My family is currently there and while they are having a good time, there have been some disappointing experiences in each of the above categories. This trip was budgeted less than normal in order to temper expectations and I am glad that we did that.

No business is guaranteed continuing success, not even Disney.
"I also think that demographics play a part, as baby boomers who brought their kids are now bringing their grandchildren. Just a big market of repeat and loyal customers for Disney, but I don't see this wave continuing into the next generation."

The data that I have seen indicates that the majority of visitors to WDW are now childless. In society there have been declining birth rates. The escalating WDW costs have a larger impact on families with children. These trends reinforce each other. It seems to me that the wonderful world of Disney for children is increasingly a Figment of our nostalgia. When my daughters met Queen Elsa 5 years ago at age 4 it was one of the most magical experiences of my life but I believe children are increasingly priced out of the parks.

I enjoyed reading these thoughtful posts.

Last edited:
OP, whole heartedly agree with you about too much booze in the parks. My daughter and her adult children agree as well. A beer in one hand and a toddler holding the other hand? Nope, not n the world we live in today. Take the time to really enjoy your little ones, they grow way too fast!!

OP, whole heartedly agree with you about too much booze in the parks. My daughter and her adult children agree as well. A beer in one hand and a toddler holding the other hand? Nope, not n the world we live in today. Take the time to really enjoy your little ones, they grow way too fast!!
I agree too. I think that some if not most of the recently-reported guest misbehavior (e.g., fights) is fueled by alcohol.

I think that's one of Disney's biggest challenges. If they end up turning themselves into a luxury brand, it's going to be harder and harder to keep a big, strong "base of the pyramid" for future generations. But then again, the way our economic system is set up incentivizes leadership to prioritize short to mid-term profits. What incentive does Chapek have to worry about Disney in 50 years? And I'm not blaming him for that. How many of us would take a reduced salary now or face heat from our bosses under the theory that "it's best for the long term, probably after I'm dead"?

I actually think some befuddling things like Genie+ are attempts to squeeze more out of high earners while not entirely pricing out the less affluent (e.g. keep ticket prices sort of reasonable while giving options to upgrade for the more affluent).
We just returned. We spent 700 on Disney plus and ILL. To compensate we did less table service and didn’t buy any merchandise. We also rented points which gave us 50% discount at a deluxe. There’s ways around spending more.If merchandise sales go down because people are spending money on lightening lanes than it may not be as profitable as Disney hoped. Theres only a certain amount I’m willing to spend on a Disney vacation so I’ll cut spending in certain ways to make it work. I’m sure I’m not alone.

Wow, all the anti-alcohol posts, can someone explain what is bad about it exactly? Cruise lines have bars everywhere on the ship, often with drink packages. Hotels everywhere have bars, often even pool bars where you can get a drink while at the pool with the family. Sports games serve beers to guests as they sit in the stands with their families. When on vacation, it’s nice to be able to unwind a bit with a drink. I can enjoy family time and appropriately supervise my kids with a beer in hand, what’s the problem?

P.S. The dole whip with rum is delicious.

Wow, all the anti-alcohol posts, can someone explain what is bad about it exactly? Cruise lines have bars everywhere on the ship, often with drink packages. Hotels everywhere have bars, often even pool bars where you can get a drink while at the pool with the family. Sports games serve beers to guests as they sit in the stands with their familiea. When on vacation, it’s nice to be able to unwind a bit with a drink. I can enjoy family time and appropriately supervise my kids with a beer in hand, what’s the problem?

Agreed. My kids are teen adults now, but I’ve never had a problem drinking a beer or other adult beverage and watching my kids. I don’t drink to Im falling down drunk. I have seen that at WDW, but they weren’t with kids. The best thing about cruises and WDW is you don’t have to drive.

Wow, all the anti-alcohol posts, can someone explain what is bad about it exactly? Cruise lines have bars everywhere on the ship, often with drink packages. Hotels everywhere have bars, often even pool bars where you can get a drink while at the pool with the family. Sports games serve beers to guests as they sit in the stands with their families. When on vacation, it’s nice to be able to unwind a bit with a drink. I can enjoy family time and appropriately supervise my kids with a beer in hand, what’s the problem?

I'm not against alcohol - I drink too. But I think there are guests who don't control their intake appropriately, and it reflects in their behavior, which impinges adversely on other guests.

I'm old enough to remember when it was BIG news that EPCOT was the first time ever that a Disney property would serve booze. Walt's ghost was still strong enough around the company that management was leery of such a change. It was interesting, considering Walt's fondness for Scotch Mists.

I don’t drink to Im falling down drunk. I have seen that at WDW, but they weren’t with kids.
I'm sure you don't mean to say that as long as someone is not with kids, it's okay for them to be falling down drunk.

I don't mind people drinking in the parks - I just don't think that WDW guests should have to deal with people who are falling down drunk and behaving inappropriately, whether they're "with" kids or not.

Well there must be some type of a problem… I think Disney announced yesterday that security lines would be longer (slower) possibly for random inspections of water - alcohol being carried into the parks.

Also have to say that I hope an adult would care about the perspective to their children . Just this past spring break , my grand-daughter invited a friend for the week and as I drove them around everywhere and went with them into the parks, etc… the young girl frequently mentioned her parents were alcoholics Cause they drank every night, everywhere they went . These are 13 year olds just starting to realize more of the World And understand it.
I doubt they are serious drunks but to hear them laughing about it made me wonder what the parents would think about that description.
I took them to Trader Sam’s at the Polynesian and presented myself as an adult that never drinks but itis still fun to enjoy the atmosphere .
My grandchildren are very aware their grandfather‘s life was shortened because of alcohol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter