I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not @Lain, but I kept my name, too. DD has DH's last name because I didn't want her to have to deal with an extra long one.

I'm not really happy about it because all of my academic work thus far has been under one name & future work will be under a different name :rolleyes:

I kept my name b/c by the time I married, my board certification and license were in my name AND the at the time DH and I worked in the same department--it was annoying enough to have the secretaries call me when they couldn't find him (um, I'm working here TOO) to bother me when he wouldn't pick up...no way was I going to become the official second Dr last name in the department, lol. Then after I worked with Very Bad People Who Did Very Bad Things and they threatened to harm my family daily I figured it was just easier to keep another layer of protection between myself and DD.

That said, DD has his last name just because it's so much easier (or so I thought) than mine. Now I just say "spelled like the hamburger" when giving her last name. I do have her ID band from birth which has "baby girl @tink1970" on it, since that was the only time she had my name.

When I remarried I was too lazy to change everything so our mailperson is completely confused with our household and the three different last names (why, I do not know).

It used to annoy him when hotels didn't listen to me and put everything in my name, calling him Mr. Mmmears and all, but he just doesn't care anymore.

LOL-my DH is the same way, he gets upset when he's addressed as Mr Tink1970-both because he likes his title ( :rolleyes2 ) and because he doesn't like to be my name, I guess. I tell him-you plan it, they'll get your name correct!

I used to HATE being called Mrs (anything but especially) Tink1970'sDD'slast name" and I'd say "no that's my exMIL who hates me" which would shut down conversation and realized, while accurate, it sounded sort of abrupt. DD has become more insistent now that I'm addressed by my title, whereas I care less and less as the years pass. Funny how that happens.

@miztressuz thanks so much for the Amex Offers--I have the Marriott offer on my Lux, DD and DH have it on their plats so $120 off of projected $650 in spend is great!

Amex question.

DH has the HH and keeps getting offer for HH spend $1k get 75k points and he also got the HH Ascend offer spend $2k get 125K. Are there better offers for Hilton usually or is this the best it will get. Can he apply for HH even though he has one? Better to just go for the Ascend?

As I'm struggling to figure out what to do with the Amex cards with AFs that are coming up, I just learned that apparently Massachusetts residents can get a prorated annual fee back at any point?

https://www.asksebby.com/blog/american-express-annual-fee-rules
This could definitely change what I'm thinking, I'm still just not sure what is the best way to handle the Amex pop-up!

Welcome!! Not sure if I can answer all these questions, but I'll try.

1. You can go ahead and apply for the AA Biz with only your name. All Chase would see is the inquiry, so it shouldn't matter.
2. This depends on what level of MSR you are comfortable with and if you want to risk taking a lower sign up bonus and ask for a match. I'm not sure about the other offers but the one with the dummy booking does give you a temporary card number to use right away. But the limit is much lower than your actual credit limit. I can't remember exactly because I did a Hilton Biz at the same time, but one of them was only $1000, when my actual credit limit was $20,000.
3. Yes, people just sign up everyone in their household for accounts, but I don't think it's that easy to get the business mailers that way. Some get them from a friend or family. Otherwise you can buy them on Reddit (but I really know nothing about that.)
PM @SouthFayetteFan @Lain or @Albort if you are interested in joining.

Thank you for all of your help! I will be looking into the Citi biz card. Just to be clear, there’s no real trick to getting the mailer, it’s just luck of the draw? And when everyone references the public offer, that’s just what is on the Citi or AA sites?

Congratulations!

And relatedly, you just missed the heat wave! Cool lower to mid 60s temps and just partly cloudy skies into the weekend. Have a great time!
Wow, triple digits! Squeezing warmer clothes into my personal item as we speak. Thanks

I totally abandoned my maiden name 😂 It was fine, nothing complicated, but myself and my dad were the only people in our nuclear family to have that last name. I liked my middle name and wanted to keep that, so I just took DH's last name. I definitely think it's an each to their own scenario, and I fully understand and respect the many reasons women wouldn't give up their name. Honestly, it was an adjustment period for me when I changed mine and at first I wasn't totally on board with it. But I have to admit that I really like only having to sign our Christmas cards from "The Xs" haha. Plus our last name is kind of "catchy," for lack of a better word. I mainly get called by my last name at work.

DH likes to jokingly say that I had to take his last name so he can see it on the side of a law firm one day :rolleyes: Jokes on him, I'll be a government employee for life haha.

I also abandoned by maiden name. It was a long Polish name with only one vowel. Hard for people to spell. DH has a nice, easy name. That was my only motivation to change it. I was a bit established in my maiden name but it was better in the long run to change it. And DH was very impressed when my new last name (his) appeared on the side of the building I worked in. :rotfl2:

I get to cancel mine next month and I'm so excited. I feel like I've read several reports of people having better luck canceling a Barclays card and then getting another Barclays card after that, so I'd really like to get the Jetblue Biz when there's a good offer. We'll see.

My DH is the pickle :rotfl::rotfl2:

Let me tell you what... I used to do name changes in my old job (both divorce-related and not) and there are some wild names out there. One guy changed his name to Megatron. No joke. Gift Card Recipient would be on the low end of weird stuff I saw lol.
Kid at school, or his parents changed his last name to WereWolf this year.

Yeah that would be annoying. Our names hyphenated would be 9 letters total so I hope that’s short enough to not run into any issues lol

Their last names hyphenated are 18 letters and the girls first names and middle names end up with 9 plus 4 and 8 plus 6...

When their last name goes first, it's then just the first few letters of their first names. And their first names have the same first few letters.

Then after I worked with Very Bad People Who Did Very Bad Things and they threatened to harm my family daily I figured it was just easier to keep another layer of protection between myself and DD.

Who did you work for, and what did they do?!

Or is this one of those if you tell me, they'll send someone to kill you and me sort of things?

@tink1970 yes! When my now husband proposed I told him we were having a short engagement and getting married before I finished school so my professional degree, board certification, and license and any publications would all be in my married name. Definitely would have thought about not changing it had I already been through all of that!

Most of my patients are from countries where two last names is culturally common. No hyphen usually though, they just use both.

@speedyfishy my first name last name now is almost 20 letters! A 9 letter last name is no biggie haha

I keep hearing that Poly contracts will be up for resale - can you tell my what's going on there? I'm not even in the market but I'm curious.
Not @Lain, but I kept my name, too. DD has DH's last name because I didn't want her to have to deal with an extra long one.

A lot of new buyers keep their contracts for a vacation or two and then sell. Or realize they wanted something different and sell. Poly has studios and bungalows. No 1 bedrooms or 2 bedrooms (at a reasonable cost), or 3 bedrooms. It was long predicted that a lot of Poly buyers would sell as their needs changed for more space as the bungalow is way too expensive for the ordinary person to do yearly.

There is another type of seller also. The one who buys, strips the contract and sells right afterwards, sometimes at a slight loss, and strangely - sometimes at a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter