I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more question.

Even though having/using an additional card isn't really a great idea for my husband (he doesn't pay in full every month :furious:), what if he could get approved for it and then just add me as an AU. Could I then spend on "his" account and he would still get UR for the money I spend? So I could use my shiny new CIP for 3 months (or however long it takes me to hit $5000) and then use HIS for the next 3 months/$5000 and then somewhere in there I could apply for a CIP2 for myself for the next 3 months/$5000.... all this without HIM spending on it? What do you think?

Normally we caution against adding an AU on cards if they would report to your personal credit report as Chase will count that against you in their 5/24 count. However, with a business card an AU - called an employee card - wouldn't get reported just as your main card doesn't so your plan with the CIP would work and not be a detriment. Anything an AU/employee spends goes onto the same account so, yes, you'd earn UR points in his account just the same as his card would. And since Chase allows points transfers within a household, you could then move his points to your account (or yours to his) if you needed them for a redemption.

Not that you would do this, but I just need to caution that even though it wouldn't affect his personal credit other than a inquiry and you'd completely manage his account without him even needing the card, you'd still need his consent to apply and open the account. I totally get not wanting him to actually use the card if he's not willing to be diligent about paying it off, but if you do an end-run around him then it'd be identity theft and a bit illegal and even worse things than that could happen when he found out. So as long as everything is aboveboard and DH is happy to become a Sole Prop and let you be his CFO, your plan would work :)

Normally we caution against adding an AU on cards if they would report to your personal credit report as Chase will count that against you in their 5/24 count. However, with a business card an AU - called an employee card - wouldn't get reported just as your main card doesn't so your plan with the CIP would work and not be a detriment. Anything an AU/employee spends goes onto the same account so, yes, you'd earn UR points in his account just the same as his card would. And since Chase allows points transfers within a household, you could then move his points to your account (or yours to his) if you needed them for a redemption.

Oh, that's good to know! Nice about the transfer too so I can have them all in one place when trying to book something.

Not that you would do this, but I just need to caution that even though it wouldn't affect his personal credit other than a inquiry and you'd completely manage his account without him even needing the card, you'd still need his consent to apply and open the account. I totally get not wanting him to actually use the card if he's not willing to be diligent about paying it off, but if you do an end-run around him then it'd be identity theft and a bit illegal and even worse things than that could happen when he found out. So as long as everything is aboveboard and DH is happy to become a Sole Prop and let you be his CFO, your plan would work :)

Ha, that didn't even occur to me (but thank you for the word of caution). No, I didn't mean without his consent. But on another note, I do definitely need to be the CFO!!!!

I am not sure what you mean by "transfer partner"...

It's not available on the CF so you won't see it right now, but when you get your CIP setup, take a look at the menu or top ribbon in the UR portal and there's an additional option for "Transfer to Travel Partner". The UR program partnered with other frequent traveler programs to allow you to transfer UR points to their programs on a 1:1 basis. So if you need 10,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards points for a flight, you can transfer 10k UR to your RR account. This option is only available on the premium travel cards - the CSP, CSR, and CIP.

Some partners are a better transfer value than others and sometimes booking through the portal is a better value than transferring, but there's a good amount of options where transferring points at 1:1 can be a better value than using the 1.25 multiplier from the CIP on the portal. Hyatt hotels comes to mind and I think a few of the airlines. Like right now there's a special to get a 30% bonus if you transfer to BA Avios and if you know how to work their award chart that can be lucrative (I am not one of those that knows how to work the charts :p but I'm amazed at the redemptions folks here figure out :lovestruc ) Their hotel partners are limited to Hyatt, Marriott, and IHG. As said, Hyatt usually has a good redemption rate by tranferring, IHG can but it varies, Marriott probably not unless you just need to top up your Marriott points for a redemption. (Marriott can be one of those times where it's better to cash out UR than transfer or book on the portal. They're too variable.)

Is it possible to product change from a Chase Disney Rewards cats with the $49 fee to a Chase Freedom card that, I believe, does not have the fee ?

Sadly not for me as I am 5+/24 until November. Asking for my nephew who wants a hotel card for football weekends at his alma mater. He only has two cards in his name (Discover and a Cap One something -- Spark I think?) but he's had them for more than two years so he is 0/24. Which is great of course but he's not really in a financial position to do the whole maximizing rewards thing and I do not want to be the one who makes him think (now) that getting a bunch of credit cards is a great thing -- he just wants a free hotel to go watch football. The reason I am thinking Chase Marriott instead of AmEx is the once-per-lifetime AmEx rule; if in a few years he does want to maximize rewards, he could still get whatever AmEx is best at the time.

I think on paper, the Chase Hyatt's combined 50k points bonus and Cat 1-4 anniversary cert is a better deal than the current Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless with 75k points bonus and a 35k anniversary cert.

However, since we're talking about your nephew, the Marriott card is probably a better choice. As a practical matter, if this card is for your nephew to catch a football game, then Marriott has a much larger footprint than Hyatt. It's no use accumulating Hyatt points if there are no Hyatts where he wants to stay. Next, the Bonvoy Boundless has a much lower MSR. The Bonvoy card's SUB dropped back down to 75k points recently, so I wouldn't typically recommend it and would you to wait until it goes back up to 100k, but the lower SUB also has a lower $3k MSR (down from $5k for the 100k SUB offer). The Hyatt card has a tiered $6k MSR to get its 50k SUB. I think those $5k-$6k MSRs could be too much for your nephew.

New AmEx offers

Holland America Line - Spend $500 or more, get $150 back, expires 8/4
MGM Resorts, Select Destinations - Spend $300 or more, get $60 back, expires 8/29
Offer valid at New York-New York®, Luxor®, Excalibur®, Beau Rivage®, Gold Strike®, Borgata®, MGM National Harbor® and MGM Springfield® in the US.
MGM Resorts, Las Vegas - Spend $500 or more, get $100 back, expires 8/29
Offer valid at Bellagio®, ARIA®, Vdara®, MGM Grand® Las Vegas, The Signature at MGM Grand®, Mandalay Bay® , Delano® Las Vegas, Park MGM®, NoMad® Las Vegas, and The Mirage® in the US.

Asos - spend $100 or more, get $20 back, expires 8/1
(don't know who these guys are but 20% doesn't sound bad Edit: Ah, it's clothes/accessories brand. Learn something new :))

I think this is new but it's hard to be sure - Zazzle, Spend $75 or more, get $15 back, expires 8/31

We're going to the Borgata to use some freebies this month but I'm pretty sure we weren't planning on spending $300 OOP. I added it but will have to think on if I can make that work to an advantage.

Last edited:
I also see 10% on FedEx Office and 20% on FedEx Freight until 11/30. Am I brain dead and they were always with 11/30 expiration dates or did I miss a new round of FedEx shipping offers? (the last batch expired 5/31)

Oh wait I did miss them, not brain dead yet :) I got 25% back on Shipping on my SPG Biz in addition to those 2 but not on the BBP :( I actually used the shipping on my SPG Biz but never got around to using it on the BBP. Wonder if that made a difference?

@PolyRob congratulations on the Plat! It is the one MR card I don’t have (I do have the Biz version). I have never been able to pull the 100 offer. Or even the 70. Right now I am ignoring it as an option since I think the reality is if I am going to get it I will have to just settle for the public offer. Maybe the public offer will go up...maybe.

I have to plan my CIP applications around large bills...insurance, DVC dues etc....some bills can be prepaid too....so if your phone, cable etc allow it that may help meet the MSR
kind of sad that I'm excited about paying my realty taxes in July for the CIP MSR now.... that'll take care of about 3k

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!