I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sounds like after 6/23, it won't help to stay at a Disney hotel? The no FP/MaxPass concerns me. For your August trip, are you just anticipating standing in line for a long time?

Yeah, no reservations needed after 6/23, so no additional benefit to staying at a Disney hotel other than EMH. For August, I do think SWGE will be crowded and the lines much longer than right now. But we'll probably feel less need to see and do everything if we can fit in a quick trip there this month. I'm thinking we'll almost certainly get MaxPass for the rest of the parks.

Chase cruises thru the portal....I'm a bit confused about how to find or book a cruise using Ur's.... since I can't find them viewable like,say,a hotel room, how do all you experts here find cruises in the portal? call and ask what's available? there's got to be a better way than that...

Good morning everyone.:) . Was gone all weekend again but I think I'm pretty caught up. It's a gorgeous day here in New York but feels like October, not June! I wanted to share something I read this morning for some of you newbies who may not know this but also for you vets who aren't as good at keeping spreadsheets as He and He 2 who shall not be named because it's not necessary. ;-) . I knew about Credit Karma and being able to track your 5/24 status but what I did NOT know is that there is an old interface that makes it way way easier to do that. So... if you're a tiny (just a tiny) bit scattered in your tracking of the great 5/24 status of your life, this is a great thing to know. I still like Lucky's blog - I know some may not agree - but I've learned a lot from him. Here's the link that tells you exactly how to do it. Make sure you click on the link for the old interface and click on "Open Date" twice to get the correct sort order. Have a happy week, all! How To Check Your 5/24 Status

Got back last night from our extended family Pigeon Forge trip. Went to Dollywood, saw a bear, walked across the new pedestrian bridge in Gatlinburg...Came home to P2’s CIP2 which came in the mail while we were gone. I knew that from informed delivery.

But also, before I left I used my new Serve card to pay down my Arrival+ a little. Thought it went through ok but apparently it did not, so I got hit with the Serve monthly fee. Rats! I don’t know what I did wrong though. I used the routing number and account number that came with the card’s literature that I got in the mail. Anyway, at least now I know when the fee is charged so I can keep the card empty at that time. I wondered if it didn’t work so well with Barclay so I’m trying it again now with a payment on a Chase card.

New AmEx offers

Holland America Line - Spend $500 or more, get $150 back, expires 8/4
MGM Resorts, Select Destinations - Spend $300 or more, get $60 back, expires 8/29
Offer valid at New York-New York®, Luxor®, Excalibur®, Beau Rivage®, Gold Strike®, Borgata®, MGM National Harbor® and MGM Springfield® in the US.
MGM Resorts, Las Vegas - Spend $500 or more, get $100 back, expires 8/29
Offer valid at Bellagio®, ARIA®, Vdara®, MGM Grand® Las Vegas, The Signature at MGM Grand®, Mandalay Bay® , Delano® Las Vegas, Park MGM®, NoMad® Las Vegas, and The Mirage® in the US.

Asos - spend $100 or more, get $20 back, expires 8/1
(don't know who these guys are but 20% doesn't sound bad Edit: Ah, it's clothes/accessories brand. Learn something new :))

I think this is new but it's hard to be sure - Zazzle, Spend $75 or more, get $15 back, expires 8/31

We're going to the Borgata to use some freebies this month but I'm pretty sure we weren't planning on spending $300 OOP. I added it but will have to think on if I can make that work to an advantage.
I also have Too Faced Cosmetics, Spend $50 get $10 back.

Not sure I'll use it but I do like their mascara so I'll probably add it.

@miztressuz I think those Fed Ex offers are a new round too. I had the ones expiring 5/31 also.

Chase cruises thru the portal....I'm a bit confused about how to find or book a cruise using Ur's.... since I can't find them viewable like,say,a hotel room, how do all you experts here find cruises in the portal? call and ask what's available? there's got to be a better way than that...

They are different because you don't book them through the portal, you have to call in and speak with the Cruise desk. Basically they can book anything you see on the cruise line website, for that price or promo that you see there, they don't do any discounts or specials themselves. Since I like to do my own research I look for the cruise I want through my own sources and then just call them up. You could call and ask what they have with your criteria and they can give you options over the phone too. I just prefer to do the legwork myself.

I didn’t think fushimi inari would be downtown Kyoto but this whole area has been crazy. Tomorrow we’re going to kinkaku-ji and Arashiyama so hopefully those aren’t as touristy

We loved Arashiyama! The bamboo forest is magical, and there are so many the cute little artisan shops!

OT: But I made my dining reservations for my wedding trip today. I couldn't get Garden Grill or Rose and Crown, I tried doing smaller reservations and nothing was available. I did manage to get a 30 person Hoop Dee Doo reservation the night before my wedding though and I am so excited!!!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Chase Marriott card compared to the Chase Hyatt card? My sense is that the value of the Marriott sign-up bonus as well as the value of the annual free night certificate is slightly better, but I'm really just guessing. If you were choosing one of these, which would you choose?
As many others have said, see what hotels are available where he wants to go. Often there are several options for Marriott and only one for Hyatt. That being said, a Hyatt Place could be as low as 8K points when the Marriott options are 15-35K.
Unfortunately, now that it is June, many places might already be booked for big games this fall. Have him check that out too.

One more question.

Even though having/using an additional card isn't really a great idea for my husband (he doesn't pay in full every month :furious:), what if he could get approved for it and then just add me as an AU. Could I then spend on "his" account and he would still get UR for the money I spend? So I could use my shiny new CIP for 3 months (or however long it takes me to hit $5000) and then use HIS for the next 3 months/$5000 and then somewhere in there I could apply for a CIP2 for myself for the next 3 months/$5000.... all this without HIM spending on it? What do you think?
We are doing this type of thing. Just wanted to add - I have no problem using DH's CIP (no need for a separate AU card for me). If he has a need to use it he comes to me and I give him the card! Otherwise I use it online, in stores (most places have a chip reader and you don't need to sign), add it to our cell phone and internet bills for autopay, etc. I have them set up to pay the full balance automatically on the due date also. (But I handle all the finances and there is no way a credit card would not be paid in full every month under my watch)

Last edited:
Last night I checked a couple more boxes off...

PNS-LAX -used my Delta Plat companion fare (these are sort of hard to use, I'm finding)
$716 RT for 2 which, from PNS, is good. Granted, it's in main cabin :scared1: but I know me and I'll upgrade before we fly.

Booked 1 night at Sheraton Gateway LAX for 25K Marriott points. From June-Dec the price there hovers around $150 so that would be a terrible use of points but it jumps to >$400/night in Jan (WHY??). I'll definitely keep an eye on the pricing and change/cancel/pay OOP if it resorts to a reasonable fare. Big thanks to @Haley R for her Hyatt Regency report-I decided not to chance it (and keep saving my Hyatt points for Sydney).

To that end, I decreased my mother's Disney card CL, signed her up for Hyatt, and then she was approved for the CSP! Whoo hoo! Now "she" can "pay" for our rooms prior to the Golden Ann'y Cruise in Dec and I can get my Hyatt points back and reserve Sydney PH! I love when a plan comes together...

Hyatt experts.... will I have any issue with my upcoming night at MCO Hyatt? It's on points from DH's acct- I added in notes that I will be checking in..... should I worry? maybe call ahead?

We are doing this type of thing. Just wanted to add - I have no problem using DH's CIP (no need for a separate AU card for me). If he has a need to use it he comes to me and I give him the card! Otherwise I use it online, in stores (most places have a chip reader and you don't need to sign), add it to our cell pnone and internet bills for autopay, etc. I have them set up to pay the full balance automatically on the due date also.

@ten6mom And this ^ is what we generally recommend for personal cards to get around the AU situation. You can either share the card or if you need another copy you can request a replacement card by reporting it damaged, just don't pick a lost or stolen option!, and then using that for yourself. Knock wood haven't had any trouble using each other's cards. Hubby got an odd look once when he was using mine but not enough to even warrant a mention let alone not running the card to pay for his meal. No one bats an eye when I use his, guess the double standard or stereotype is still around about the wife running up all the husband's cards :confused3 The only time it could have come up is when buying gift cards like the Visa/MC/AmEx ones. Some stores ask to verify ID against the CC you're using so they actually check the name on it. Hasn't been a problem for me yet because for those deals I'm usually using my cards (because, as hubby says, I have all the good ones :laughing:) but that's the one time anyone has looked at my cards in a long time. Especially with chip readers now, no one looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter