I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone that bought DVC resale paid a portion with a credit card? Trying to do the math and see if it makes sense to buy direct if I can pay with a credit card and get the extra welcome home points.

has anyone that bought DVC resale paid a portion with a credit card? Trying to do the math and see if it makes sense to buy direct if I can pay with a credit card and get the extra welcome home points.
We were able to put $2000 on a credit card as the deposit. That was the limit. We used Fidelity and the payment was through First American (but I would not use First American again).

Yeah - there's a somewhat interesting theory that once your AF anniv. date has passed (i.e. the 1st of the month after your actual anniv date) that perhaps Chase won't charge the AF until the next year. I can tell you that I upgraded a CF card to a CSP back earlier this year and was never charged the AF. I fully expect it to be charged on 12/1 which would have been the cards original "AF anniv date".
Not sure if a SW card DP helps..but I upgraded my SW plus card last August to the Plus after the AF hit
I was refunded the AF in August....just charged the AF for the Priority last month .....the Plus was opened originally opened in July

I was scared off by the $450 AF for the CSR when I started this last year, but now I would like to upgrade my CSP when my year is up on 6/15. Even DH agrees that I should upgrade! Crazy how far I've come in just a year. I just wanted to check in with the experts as to the timing before I do it. I recall reading something about upgrading but then not being charged the AF until you would have been charged the original card's AF?! I'm not sure. I am looking to book a cruise for October that is now at a price I can live with, so I'd rather do it sooner rather than later. The only other personal UR we have is DH's Freedom and since you have to call for the cruise I (and DH) would rather not do that...gotta keep my P2 happy! Thanks for any advice.

I'm wondering what the possibility is of "supporting" DH to the CSP while you still have it, since that means a 60k UR SUB and 15k UR support bonus, before you PC to a CSR? Or better yet, support DH to the CSP and do a MDD of the CSR?

Last edited:
Not sure if a SW card DP helps..but I upgraded my SW plus card last August to the Plus after the AF hit
I was refunded the AF in August....just charged the AF for the Priority last month .....the Plus was opened originally opened in July
That one is pretty strange. So your "AF Anniv Date" would have normally been August 1st. You PCed in August, and somehow your new AF is now charged on May 1st? HAHA! Ok Chase - you just keep being you!

I was really really happy to read about your DD's approval, but I just have this nagging feeling that I wasn't around to share that bit of advice about not applying under Educational Services > Colleges, Universities, and Prof Schools. I was worried because I was under the impression that DD is doing a post-grad fellowship and might've used that category to apply. No concerns on your end?

Yes, I was sorry you weren't posting last night, too. I thought I answered your post this morning, but maybe I never did. I hate doing things as a rush but DH was pushing to get it done and helped her (he then bought a $$$$ flight for tomorrow because his DM is in the hospital and didn't have the patience to let me find a way to use points :headache: ) so I will slink into the shun corner now. It looks like she applied under Educational>Other Schools & Instruction>Exam prep and tutoring. I hope that's ok. It's something she has actually done (and hopes to continue to do while overseas) so she felt comfortable with it. If we need to find a new card I know she won't be happy. At least she has one card she can use abroad but she wants the points on her own card. Getting residence permits and stuff has been tough, too, even though her grant is through both governments and they are helping it get processed quickly. It must be hard if you have no help at all.

Thank you! This is perfect I am considering fidelity.

I’m sure you have done your research and know around what price Disney is buying back contracts.....I’m just mentioning this since my son works for a competitor of Fidelity....dealing with Wyndham buy backs.....

If Disney has the same sort of deal with Fidelity that Wyndham has....they give Fidelity a price they will pay for a contract.....anything above that number is Fidelity’s profit ...so that’s why they usually have lower prices listed that other companies....but you may have a higher chance of Disney taking the contract....

Yes, I was sorry you weren't posting last night, too. I thought I answered your post this morning, but maybe I never did. I hate doing things as a rush but DH was pushing to get it done and helped her (he then bought a $$$$ flight for tomorrow because his DM is in the hospital and didn't have the patience to let me find a way to use points :headache: ) so I will slink into the shun corner now. It looks like she applied under Educational>Other Schools & Instruction>Exam prep and tutoring. I hope that's ok. It's something she has actually done (and hopes to continue to do while overseas) so she felt comfortable with it. If we need to find a new card I know she won't be happy. At least she has one card she can use abroad but she wants the points on her own card. Getting residence permits and stuff has been tough, too, even though her grant is through both governments and they are helping it get processed quickly. It must be hard if you have no help at all.

Oh what a relief!

I was dreading your DD's first foray into credit card points turning into one where the bank takes away the rewards credit card they approved her for and replaces it with an inferior no rewards card, then having to plead her case to the bank that her "business" is not in fact a government entity or any way affiliated with the government, so please can they let her keep her card and points?

Thank you! This is perfect I am considering fidelity.

A friend who already owns a bunch of DVC points direct just bought more at BLT direct. He worked with a guide (his guide quit so he just called member services and worked with whoever picked up) and basically told them that he can get BLT for x amount resale. He prefers to buy direct but told them they need to make it worth it because he doesn’t need the direct privileges. I’m not sure the exact offer he got but basically credit card funding across multiple cards, 3 years worth of points, some fast passes he couldn’t get elsewhere as well as a few other things (I think a welcome home stay during food and wine). He paid more than resale for sure but honestly not that much more when you value out what he got.

I wouldn't necessarily consider the current UY points as "extra" when purchasing direct. You can find resale contracts with current UY and even banked points available to use in the current UY. If the resale contract is stripped, you may even be able to make a lowball offer. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor in your direct/resale purchase.

I am (still) on a waitlist for a small direct contract, but my ultimate goal is to get the smallest direct and a moderate resale contract for the same resort with the same UY. I want that blue card and the benefits that come with it. Maybe a combo of using CC funding direct and cashing out for resale could be a good option, especially if you get the exact resort and UY you want.

Oh what a relief!

I was dreading your DD's first foray into credit card points turning into one where the bank takes away the rewards credit card they approved her for and replaces it with an inferior no rewards card, then having to plead her case to the bank that her "business" is not in fact a government entity or any way affiliated with the government, so please can they let her keep her card and points?

So she's ok then? :faint::eek: It's been a tough week here and I don't need any extra work. I did my best to help her find a card she can use over there.

That one is pretty strange. So your "AF Anniv Date" would have normally been August 1st. You PCed in August, and somehow your new AF is now charged on May 1st? HAHA! Ok Chase - you just keep being you!
I took the Marriott upgrade to the Premier (I think that’s what is with the $95 AF) in Nov. No AF posted until 6/1. Thank goodness for the accounts all being on one login since I haven’t used the card so I was surprised to see a balance.

The perfect scenario for number 2 would be.

Apply for no fee card
After one year upgrade offer to the $95 Ascend pops up
Apply for Ascend
After approval, take upgrade offer from no fee card to a second Ascend.
One year later upgrade offer pops up on one of the Ascend cards for the Aspire.
Apply for the Aspire.
After approval, take upgrade offer from Ascend card to the Aspire.
Cancel the other Ascend card.
After one year cancel or downgrade your second Aspire.
Unless you are me. In that case, keep both Aspire cards. 8-) Seriously though, there are a number of travel hackers with 2 Aspire cards or trying to upgrade their way to two like I am.
This is how I have gotten 1 Aspire, 2 is too rich for me.
You unwittingly made yourself a "Venmartyr".
Not totally unwitting. I did offer to “just pay for everything so we don’t have to worry about figuring it out now” with sole intent of getting points on $500 restaurant bill with coworkers. However, one of them is on to me. Happened again a few months ago, I offered to pay at coworkers going away. One of them said, we know you’re doing it for the points. I don’t think any of them care. Some don’t pay their bills until they get a red late notice, so they’re not getting multiple CCs.

I took the Marriott upgrade to the Premier (I think that’s what is with the $95 AF) in Nov. No AF posted until 6/1. Thank goodness for the accounts all being on one login since I haven’t used the card so I was surprised to see a balance.
I do recall that the Marriott upgrades did some really strange things! I also upgraded a Marriott card and my free night still comes on the card's original anniv date (3/15) but the AF apparently now posts on 9/1. Perhaps upgrades through an official upgrade promo could also work differently than a simple PC. I feel like we should gather tons of DPs on this but that sounds like a lot of work, haha. I'll just keep monitoring and see if we can glean anything from that.

2 things...
1) I have a bonus tracker for the first time ever w/Chase!
2) They’re showing 3 months to hit the MSR. (not 115 days but also not 90 days - 3 exact calendar months from approval date).

View attachment 408665
So there was some additional discussion on this topic in r/churning today and people seem to think it's possible that you still have 115 days but Chase just does this for ease. The whole thing is confusing to me. I honestly would adhere to the 3 months - and DON'T cut it too close either people! I've honestly ALWAYS attempted to hit my MSRs 2 weeks prior to the 3 month mark. If I'm short, I just go some VGCs at my grocery store and then use them for our everyday expenses. General advice, don't cut your MSRs too close :)

I’m always really irritated to find out I got charged an insane amount for something stupid. DS left his brand new Alaska Mickey at the Westin in Vancouver last week. After locating it, they asked for my FedEx number to send it to me. I gave them the info Monday, it arrived here Tuesday. How much does it cost to FedEx a $22 stuffy overnight from Vancouver to Chicago, you ask? $75. >:( :sad:
Well it least it went toward MSR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter