Has Disney World lost it's magic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:wizard::

Please please, please don't let anyone on these boards deter you from what will be the most wonderful magical trip of your life. If you had not read any of these threads you would be planning with such joy and I regret that your excitement has been dimmed by people who are so spoiled and lucky to be able to go these wonderful parks many times and forget the wonderment of their first time with Mickey. I am 61 years old and have been there many times, but still look forward to the planning and talking about & then the first time you enter Disney property. You see the sign and your stomach gets quivvery and you know you are able to forget problems and heartache & even sorrow while you are there. i have traveled and never found a place that could fulfill that claim except for Disney. Nowhere you go can you find a place that never has a cleanliness problem once in a while no matter how much you pay, this claim that six Flags is the cleanest park. I have visited many and they are nowhere near as big as WDW nor do they service as many people, so I take no note of the comparison. Surly castmembers? Did you notice what happened right before this? How rude & demanding and obnoxious were the people before you? Walk a mile in my shoes please.
I have only ever been treated with respect, because I give respect, if I have had a problem I report it with understanding and have had my problem solved.
I walk onto main Street and am filled with joy and wonder and
a feeling of homecoming second only to my family, so I ask you once again, go with an open heart and watch the joy and wonder on your childrens faces as well as your own and Have the most magical time of your life. And when you come back please let us know how you feel and let me tell you "I told you so" :):wizard::cloud9::grouphug:

*I* could go. But DH is harsh critic and he will only remember that what I kept telling him nearly 11 years ago (which was true when we honeymooned) isn't true anymore, from the sounds of it. We *have* to spend a great deal to go to WDW (we have to fly and we are a family of 5, gasp!). I wish I could just take my princess loving little girl, but that isn't possible :sad2:

I won't have a magical time if DH and DS 9.5 aren't having a good time, and they won't be if the place isn't clean and people are mean to them. We purposely go during off peak times, so we don't have to deal with the worst of the "public", but it doesn't sound avoidable anymore. I'll just have to wait. Can't really afford it anyway, not the way DH does the math. I say life is passing us by, but he lives in fear.

Maybe it is the Walt in me, I believe ... sigh ...

Please stop insinuating that anyone with a complaint about Disney World is spoiled? Disney is a good place to vacation but it is not w/out problems. I have never treated anyone at Disney with anything but respect however unlike you, I was treated rudely by a CM and it was because our tickets wouldn't scan. Now why treat me badly for something over which I had zero control? Then when I had problems with them 5 minutes after I left he snidely suggested that I was trying to get fast passes for my daughter and her friend without them being in the parks. So not only did he have a crappy attitude, he accused me of being dishonest. That is wrong pure and simple.

I agree with rie'smom. People here on the boards need to stop insulting those of us that say anything bad about Disney. People need to take off their rose colored glasses :3dglasses and really take a good look at WDW.

We just returned from our second family trip, my fourth. My DH and I noticed how the Magic Kingdom especially was not as pristine and well-kept as in the past. We saw trash strewed around the park grounds. Yes, the trash is the fault of those that litter, but Disney in the past had CMs going around picking it up, I wonder if Disney has cut back on the amount of CMs doing this job. Before, if you saw any trash, you also would see a CM in the vicinity that was working. This time, the trash was there for quite awhile. We toured the park and returned much later in the day and saw the same trash. :sad2:

We also noticed how many of the rails needed painting, they had chipped paint. It really makes the place look run down. The rose garden had a lot of old dead blooms on the bushes that needed to be deheaded. Many of the restrooms we used in the parks were filthy! :scared1:

My DD and I toured All-Stars Movies since she is such a big Dalmations fan. I was not impressed with the resort. :rolleyes1Things just looked old. While we were in the bus line to head back to our resort, CSR, we spoke to a couple that go to Disney several times a year. They told us that the value resort has really gone down hill. It is not being kept up and housekeeping is lacking.

So, in my opinion, yes, Disney is still magical in some ways (variety of shows and rides, character experiences) but it has lost lots of magic in the upkeep of the grounds, cleanliness, and resorts.

I have read bits and pieces of this thread and while I agree there are areas that could and should be improved on - for me an my family the Magic is still there.

Are the prices higher and service less than it was in the past? Probably
Do I go every year with my family? Yes

Why...... it's simple and is best seen in the eyes and on the faces of my kids when we go to "Mickey's House"

Please please people remember that its not a high price, or a bit of trash that kills the magic - it dies when we forget what really matters - Family, Friends, and the memories we have with them that will last forever.

The only magic lost for me is the direct result of the decline in the clientele. Rude, selfish behavior (such as line-jumping/letting Daddy stand in line while Mom and the kids enjoy another ride), lack of respect for others, inappropriate dress and language, screaming in the hallways late at night, etc.

Twelve hour vacation days in sweltering heat spent standing in long lines can make people do things they normally wouldn't (hopefully).

Chalk-up part of that to finally recognizing I am getting older - hit the big 51 this year. DW and I have the luxury of avoiding busy seasons, which alleviates 75% of the problems.

Yeah, maybe the landscaping isn't as stellar as it used to be, sometimes the restrooms aren't as claen, but for the most part, WDW still is everything I am looking for. Compared to the alternatives, nothing even comes close for me.

Please stop insinuating that anyone with a complaint about Disney World is spoiled? Disney is a good place to vacation but it is not w/out problems. I have never treated anyone at Disney with anything but respect however unlike you, I was treated rudely by a CM and it was because our tickets wouldn't scan. Now why treat me badly for something over which I had zero control? Then when I had problems with them 5 minutes after I left he snidely suggested that I was trying to get fast passes for my daughter and her friend without them being in the parks. So not only did he have a crappy attitude, he accused me of being dishonest. That is wrong pure and simple.

Most cm's that I've run across are friendly and helpful, although I've had a time or two where I ran into a couple who were rude.

I think the situation you ran into with the rude cm may have left a bad taste in your mouth. And no doubt, it sounds like that cm was definately being rude. I hope it didn't ruin WDW for you, and that you will return.

*I* could go. But DH is harsh critic and he will only remember that what I kept telling him nearly 11 years ago (which was true when we honeymooned) isn't true anymore, from the sounds of it. We *have* to spend a great deal to go to WDW (we have to fly and we are a family of 5, gasp!). I wish I could just take my princess loving little girl, but that isn't possible :sad2:

I won't have a magical time if DH and DS 9.5 aren't having a good time, and they won't be if the place isn't clean and people are mean to them. We purposely go during off peak times, so we don't have to deal with the worst of the "public", but it doesn't sound avoidable anymore. I'll just have to wait. Can't really afford it anyway, not the way DH does the math. I say life is passing us by, but he lives in fear.

Maybe it is the Walt in me, I believe ... sigh ...

Here's MHO, if you've never taken a "real" family vacation, you will probably LOVE WDW and be wowed. We were there in 2007 for the first time and years, and we had a wonderful time. NO vacation is going to be absolutely perfect, no matter how much planning we do. Go, have a wonderful time. There are so many wonderful things that your kids and husband will enjoy, especially if you are realistic about your expectations.

It's still cleaner than most theme parks I've been to, there are amazing details to things that will give you a sense of wonder, and the rides are fun! Hotel rooms are hotel rooms, and there are always things I can point out, but from someone who also doesn't take a big vacation very often, we still really enjoy Disney.

I for one am not insinuating that Disney doesn't have problems and that people who complain are spoiled. But I do take a stand against people who imply that Disney is so bad, it should be avoided and that someone should cancel a trip. I also think that many people on this board have been so many times the magic is lost. For some people, they can go to WDW repeatedly and still be enthralled each time. Other's not so much. Neither side is bad or wrong but for sure, people have different expectations, tolerance levels and experiences. And I do think that for people who get to go only once, its okay to say that those of us who go again and again, are very lucky, and yes maybe a tad spoiled. Spoiled in that we got used to WDW being one way and when it changed, it was hard to change with it. For a newcomer on a first trip, a lot of what some of us feel, won't be felt at all.

As for experiences with rude cm's, that stinks when it happens. But I think that has to be put in perspective. During an average WDW stay, one would encounter probably hundreds of cm's total. One rude one while unfortunate, is not a dealbreaker in my book or cause to think the whole castmember/employee system of WDW is shot.

To LandChildWorldAdult: Only you ca decide what is best for your family. I can tell you that I have travelled to many family destinations around the U.S. Disny has always been a very worthwhile, positive experience that has far outshined other places in value, cleanliness and customer service. Cm's as a rule of thumb aren't mean. You have some that do their job to a higher level than others and you will have a cm here and there that is having a bad day. In many trips to WDW and DL, I have yet to see more than a very occasional instance of this (most trips not a one). WDW is expensive but to me, no more so than other tourist venues. Heck, even my local zoo for a day is a fortune spent for my family of four!

Maybe when the economy settles down a bit your husband will feel more comfortable taking the plunge. If your son is only 9, I just can't imagine he would find Disney anything but wonderful and magical.

[
Thank you for your post. It's nice to read responses from those on the front line. So, why are people so obnoxious nowadays versus 5 or 10 years ago? :confused3 Another new thread?

I think we are in the age of entitlements. Unfortunately we are in the WIFM (what's in it for me) mode instead of the gratitude mode. I do believe since we are now facing economic uncertainty we want to get AS MUCH as we can for our money even if we are not ENTITLED to it. The sad thing is it's not just Walt Disney, it's everywhere.

Hi from a "newbie" - well I have been lurking for a while but I just had to post on this thread. It has really bummed me out, but I am still looking forward to our next trip next January.

My DH works for a major sports team in security. You would not believe what parents say upon coming to pick up their kids who have been caught drinking underage, fighting, what have you..."Oh come on, you can let it slide just this once, can't you?" Personally my parents would have had my head if I had been kicked out of a stadium for some of the stunts these kids pull. But not these folks (od course, not *ALL* - there are some people left who know how to raise children)...and they are dealing with POLICE OFFICERS! Can you imagine, then, how the same people would deal with a cast member who catches their kid cutting in line or littering at WDW?

We had an issue with our room last trip-they were painting outside our door and it drove my daughter's allergies crazy. They moved us, to concierge level no less, with no fuss! When we called to thank the CM who okayed the move, to tell her they had gone above and beyond, do you know what she said? She thanked US for thanking HER, because so few people ever do!

And one other thing; about the food...well, I find it ironic how many people hope and pray for a free dining pin code, and then complain about how the food quality has declined! If free dining but "dumbed down" menus still keeps the parks/resorts close to full in "slow" seasons, there is no incentive for WDW to change it, is there? Just MHO.

:sad1: This thread has me seriously rethinking our plans. For our family, this would be our first family vacation EVER. Yup, that's right, we haven't been on a real vacation (visiting family does NOT count) since our honeymoon (at WL and offsite learning to sail).

I went many, many, many times as a child to DL. Some of my fondest memories of my childhood are there. I have taken my oldest son twice for day trips, but he's too little to remember (family business took us to Los Angeles when he was under 2).

WDW was never the same, but it had its different charms and even DH liked it. If it is dirty and the CMs are surly and the parks are dirty, well, I will pay for YEARS and YEARS for spending the money. :sad2:

Anyone with *other* suggestions, for place to take my family of 5 where we can still experience "magic" but get value for what it costs to go ... I'm all ears, no pun intended. I'd still love to go to WDW, but I only probably have 2 vacations for these kids ever and I can't blow them on a place with filthy restrooms and indifferent staff. :sick:

There's a VERY important point that you're missing: we are (for the most part) comparing Disney to itself, not to any other venues. This is because WDW is in a class by itself-it's unique, incomparable.

So if it seems odd that people on this thread will discuss Disney going what Warren Buffett calls "downmarket" and then turning around and vehemently defending it when they see posts like yours, it's not because they're hypocritical, it's because you're asking them to compare apples to oranges when you ask about other suggestions. Because WDW is a unique product, no other suggestions really apply.

Some of Disney's harshest critics are also its biggest fans. If we don't tell Disney when they make bad consumer choices, and aren't vocal in our support of when they do the right thing, then it lessens the magic, imo. Just goes full circle back to my original assertion that guests are a large part of what makes WDW special (and sometimes not special).

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting, just go to 6 flags, it's like Disney only smaller, because it's soooooo not. My aim in participating in these threads, is to prevent Disney from taking on any resemblance to Six Flags, btw...

I haven't read through this post as of yet, but wanted to make my own comment before reading others responses.

I have been traveling to Walt Disney World almost every single year since it opened in 1971. My grandfather had actually owned some of the land that Disney sits on and he took us that first year to see "what in the world anyone could possibly do with swamp water". Walt showed him huh?! LOL Anyways, there are two words that come to mind when I think through all of our vacations and what has been steadily going downhill through the years...Quality and Generic.

Quality of merchandise, food, customer service are just a few things to start with. You use to be able to find the most unique items in different parts of the park...you wouldn't see the same (generic) items from one store to the next. The items were made top quality that would last and last. These days everything seems generic...you can find the same items in every single store, low quality that doesn't last and a lot of the times you can find the exact same items at your local Walmart store for much cheaper price.

We have purchased many different things from luggage to sweatshirts to toys. The luggage lining inside of the suitcase ripped on the very first trip and when only a few items were placed inside. The zipper broke on a sweatshirt after wearing it 2 days. A very expensive toy that was purchased broke the second day. This isn't the Disney Merchandise we bought in the past that I can still use to this day! What happened to the quality of merchandise???

Every item seems to be very generic. I'm sure cutting cost factors in, but come on. Once you've gone into a couple of stores you don't need to go into anymore because they have the exact same items available in each store. Just looking at the Resort Mugs being changed from Resort Specific to Generic is just an example. I have personally spent a lot less money shopping for souvenirs, t-shirts, bathing suits, etc... because of everything being generic and the quality just isn't there any more.

The quality of housekeeping and grounds has gone way down. In the past you would never find a speck of dirt any where. As soon as trash hit the ground there would be a CM right there to sweep it up. Even the ashtrays were raked and imprinted with initials of Disney. It seems pride has gone way down.

I know most places are trying to go Non-Smoking and I don't want to start any wars on this thread. However, I truly feel for smokers. First they take away smoking in rooms...that's ok as long as you give smokers plenty of spaces so they do not tempt to smoke in the rooms. The designated smoking area's in the parks have been a nice added bonus so that non-smokers would know where not to go and smokers wouldn't offend non-smokers, but now they're starting to take away designated smoking area's every where. Smoking is a legal substance and until it's outlawed smokers still have rights that are being taken away. I forsee a major decline in business if they continue this path they are on with this issue. I would rather see a lot of Designated Smoking Area's clearly marked for both smokers as well as non-smokers instead of seeing the designated smoking area's being taken away and having smokers light up where they're not allowed where it could cause more problems than need be.

Disney is still magical to me, but I have been seeing a major decline the last 10 years or so. I want my old Disney back where CM's took pride in their work, took pride in the company, the company took pride in their products and merchandise. I want the top quality and uniqueness of Disney back!!

"Please stop insinuating that anyone with a complaint about Disney World is spoiled? Disney is a good place to vacation but it is not w/out problems. I have never treated anyone at Disney with anything but respect however unlike you, I was treated rudely by a CM and it was because our tickets wouldn't scan. Now why treat me badly for something over which I had zero control? Then when I had problems with them 5 minutes after I left he snidely suggested that I was trying to get fast passes for my daughter and her friend without them being in the parks. So not only did he have a crappy attitude, he accused me of being dishonest. That is wrong pure and simple."

I was not insinuating I was stating how I feel ever time I visit, I feel spoiled that I am lucky enough to be there. As for problems i think anywhere you go you find problems even the most expensive resorts have problems. I had a similar problem with my ticket and after a few minutes of trying to figure it out I was given a new ticket, I am sorry you met with rudeness but when I see you scaring people out of going to the most wonderful place on earth I have to say something. You have succeeded in stopping LnadchildWorldAdult from going and before you chase anyone else away I say find someplace better to go to and leave the Magic & Wonder & Joy to those of us who still feel blessed to be able to visit.

I was not insinuating I was stating how I feel ever time I visit, I feel spoiled that I am lucky enough to be there. As for problems i think anywhere you go you find problems even the most expensive resorts have problems. I had a similar problem with my ticket and after a few minutes of trying to figure it out I was given a new ticket, I am sorry you met with rudeness but when I see you scaring people out of going to the most wonderful place on earth I have to say something. You have succeeded in stopping LnadchildWorldAdult from going and before you chase anyone else away I say find someplace better to go to and leave the Magic & Wonder & Joy to those of us who still feel blessed to be able to visit.

:rotfl:No one has stopped anyone from going to WDW. That is a decision that people make for themselves. I will continue to go and I will continue to discuss both the good and the bad that I see at WDW. If no one ever lets Disney management know about a problem, how it will it get fixed? No one here has said that WDW is the worst vacation place in the universe. People have said that it is not what it once was and that it needs some improving.

If your kids misbehave, do you call them on it or do you let them get away with it? Does trying to correct your kids mean that you hate them and wish you never had them? No, it means that you want them to do better. That is what those who have complaints want for Disney.

I agree with the post of Disney going generic. I also have 5 kids and they always are well behaved when we are at Disney and they also can tell how bad Disney has become. WE have been the past three years and have had a great time while staying at POP,but this year we tried CSR and had a terrible time. I am not saying all CM have gone sour but a lot of them sure have. I hate like hell to spend my hard earned money at Disney with this bad economy and get treated like I am at Six flags or something like that. Why in the world do you shut down major rides in the heat of your tourist season? I am not a rocket scientist but would it not of been better to do it in the off season? I hope Disney comes back, but if it continues to go the way it is why would you want to spend all that money when you could go to your local county fair and get treated the same. I am not trying to talk anyone out of going but please understand it is not like it was a few years ago. Disney needs to get back to what it did best and that was treating each of us to the best vacation you could ever dream of.

I think Disney's next theme should be You're Not Special, So Behave Yourself And We'll All Have A Good Time. :thumbsup2

:rotfl: That is great!

Back to the topic at hand. I think I wear the rose colored classes at WDW because I have never had a big disappointment there. I think I am just too excited to notice a lot of the upkeep issues. :goodvibes

Disney is still "magical", if you look at the whole grand scheme of things (the big picture), but there are some things that I personally think need to be addressed. Such as:

Stop charging people (nickel and dimeing) for so called seasonal buffets costs.

Reduce the cost of the double stroller. It skyrocketed to 75 percent in one year. The cost was approximately $17 last year and now it is $31.00! RIP OFF!

Paint the darn green little bus like stations within Magic Kingdom. It's been rusting for years now.

Update the Star Wars ride. It's very lame and over 20 years old.

Update or replace the Temple of Doom show.

Have better maid service in the hotels. The Polly is one the comes to mind. For $350.00 a night I can stay at a 5 star hotel (Ritz Carlton) that's clean as a pin.

Stop raising ticket prices.

Extend the monorail or add a small train or people mover. The Wilderness Lodge comes to mind with this. The WL is so close to the MK you think they would expand the monorail to this hotel.

Add more rides at Hollywood Studios.

I'll think of more.

Lastly, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Disney but I think they have some issues that really need to be corrected in my humble opinion.

Thanks!

I really do think a lot comes down to perspective, expectations and personal responsibility.

Perspective:

We travel to WDW because we know how well our special needs will be catered to. There is NOWHERE ELSE that I've ever found that can accomodate our food allergies the was WDW does. When I compare WDW restaurants to restaurants anywhere else, I'm comparing the fact that my daughter who can't have wheat or dairy can eat breaded chicken fingers and mac & cheese every day if she wants. On top of that, the chefs not only bend over backwards for us, but they actually make us feel as though they enjoy doing so. The pixie dust is never ending.

In addition, with my daughter's issues associated with her autism, WDW is the only amuzement park that we can go to because of the accomodations that they make for her special needs. Again, the pixie dust is never ending.

From our perspective, there is NOWHERE else where we can have such a stress free vacation. I know this isn't everybody's perspective, but it's ours which definitely colours our glasses a little rosey. :hippie:

Expectations:

People tend to expect the same level of service as they've previously experienced. When that doesn't happen, it's hard to handle and is a huge let-down. I've seen my own DH get upset with things that didn't live up to previous experiences. I try to explain that what he's comparing to is often a case of us having gotten service that was way above what is normal (even more pixie dust) but the expectation is still very hard to let go of. As many people have observed though, quality things like mousekeeping and park cleaning had declined so it's totally understandable that if previous expectations aren't being met that it will simply seem wrong. I can't say I disagree. Disney is the company that set their own bar very high and now they're trying to lower it. Most people will complain when their prices are going up yet service is going down. Disney set these expectations and should live up to them.

Then there's the whole issue of entitlement. Our society as a whole seems to have developed a real sense of entitlement. Far too many people really do seem to expect everybody around them to bend over and kiss their butts. When it doesn't happen, they're rude about it. I'm not just talking about at WDW. I'm talking about in life in general though it has trickled into WDW.

Personal Responsibility:

It drives me nuts when people complain about something but didn't do anything to try to rectify the situation or if they complained they were mean, nasty or rude and then didn't understand why people didn't try harder to help them. I think the concept of more flies with honey than with vinegar is lost on these people. Yes it's frustrating when things go wrong (and things do tend to go wrong at some point). It's what we do about it that matters. It is VERY unfortunate though that we're hearing of more and more cases of CMs speaking rudely to guests which seems shocking to me. Then again, in the posts where I read about rude CMs it often (not always obviously) seems as though the person's description of evens suggests that the guest was pretty rude right off the bat without even giving CMs a chance to correct problems. Again, this isn't always the case which shocks me every time, but it seems as though many times that's how the situation comes across.

People need to know what they're paying for and pay for what they want. Is it Disney's fault if somebody paid for a standard room but wanted club level and didn't get upgraded for free? Is it Disney's fault that a guest only likes inside hallways but booked at a resort where the rooms exit to the outside? If they're on the DIS then they have access to all this information. If they pay for something they don't get though, Disney should take responsibility and try to make it up to the guest. Responsibility goes both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter