HalloweenTime at DLR Info and Photo Superthread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for some insight from the other coast, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is supposedly starting on 9/1 this year. That's the earliest I've ever seen it. And MANY of their parties don't sell out. With nearly every party selling out at DLR, I'm shocked they haven't added more in recent years.

Remember the original August hours that indicated there would be MNSSHP in August? That seemed so early! I've been to a mid-September MNSSHP and I have to say, the vibe isn't the same as the ones in October. It's still fun, but it didn't feel quite as "Halloween"-ey to me...maybe it's because there were very few guests in costumes and nothing else was very Halloween-looking at WDW (except the gift shops). Those seemed to have been removed at this point, but 9/1 is still listed on the TA Calendar as the first party. It did look a little funny to have one party (9/1) and then nothing until 9/9, over a week later. I know Night of Joy is in the mix, which ties up the normal Fri night party date. It'll be interesting to see how the early parties do.

I have to admit, though, that it did get me thinking about how easily the dates can be switched when we least expect it.
Yeah, I think until they start selling actual tickets, the dates can change pretty easily. I think they could even add in dates after tickets go on sale depending on demand. Look at WDW...they first indicated MNSSHP in August and then removed them from the calendar. Until tickets go on sale, anything can happen!

I know DL is a locals park but I do think there is enough international visitors interested...
This is actually one of those things that I'm wondering about this year. If the Disboards is any indication, there does seem to a lot of "first time" visitors coming to DLR (throughout the year). I'm not sure if has to do with the Magic Bands and FP+ and all of that going on WDW, which is making folks who would have normally gone to WDW decide to visit DLR for the first time. So, I do wonder if that's going to effect the activities at the park and what we all expect based on historical conditions. I don't know that DLR would markedly change their operations because of this, but it does seem like there are more long-distance "tourists" plan trips this year than in years past.

I'm not sure if has to do with the Magic Bands and FP+ and all of that going on WDW, which is making folks who would have normally gone to WDW decide to visit DLR for the first time.

Not that it is our first time at Disneyland but we have a reservation we're cancelling this year at Walt Disney World simply because the experience with the magic handcuffs and Fastpass+ reduced our enjoyment considerably last year. Felt like Disney regulating and choosing what you're going to do and when rather than any spontaneity. Instead we're going back to Disneyland for several days before flying home to Australia.

I'm actually a little bit disappointed that we're most likely there during halloween season again (we were at Disneyland for Halloween last year) as I did miss normal Space Mountain.

I'm not sure if has to do with the Magic Bands and FP+ and all of that going on WDW, which is making folks who would have normally gone to WDW decide to visit DLR for the first time.

It certainly made us head to DLR for the 5th time. And it will again later this year for the 6th time. :)

Yeah, I think until they start selling actual tickets, the dates can change pretty easily. I think they could even add in dates after tickets go on sale depending on demand. Look at WDW...they first indicated MNSSHP in August and then removed them from the calendar. Until tickets go on sale, anything can happen!

figment_jii -

I agree -- until those tickets are actually ready to be purchased, anything goes and the dates can change or increase.

You know, last year when the Backstage Pass 'MHP start date misprint' occurred, I actually wondered for a second if maybe the original plan on Disney's end was, indeed, to start the MHP on that date (Mon., 9/30), but then they suddenly changed it as the months wore on.

DLR usually keeps things pretty close to the vest in terms of releasing official start dates until they are set in stone (even if we can guess what most dates will be). So the fact that Backstage Pass -- an official Disney source -- would have pinpointed that Monday as the start date and then actually put it in print had me wondering if it could have been correct and accurate at one point in time, and then someone decided to start the MHP on Fri., 9/27 after all.

Backstage Pass was correct about the kooky Tuesday start date of the holiday season last year -- and that was kind of a random day to start it, as opposed to starting it on a Friday or even a Monday -- so I am inclined to think that the Monday, 9/30 start date for the MHP that was printed in BP actually came from somewhere credible and legitimate, and wasn't a total mistake -- until the date was suddenly changed, that is!:rotfl2:

:dancer:

Happy Earth Day, Halloween Superthread Friends!!

Today we celebrate our planet and all its wonders...

IMG_3545-1.jpg

cbf3e468-d3ec-4583-b7d1-4b8855df8cfa.jpg

IMG_3156-1.jpg

a9cf66f4-b7a6-47fd-a89c-f0f29ce9294d.jpg

IMG_8135.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

:dancer:And in just under 5 months we celebrate Halloween Time!:dancer:

IMG_8356.jpg

ec51e492-bf4b-4dd2-b877-91023cbaabc8.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8126.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8199.jpg

798be932-8cd0-4424-abbc-37cd68d1aba7.jpg

d26b93ea-aad9-4ccc-a3cb-7a8797588385.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

Sherry - love the pictures of all of the flowers! September/October Halloween trip planning in the works. Got time off of work, Hotel reserved, annual passes purchased, photopass and character meal purchased, Halloween costumes decided on and in the works of being purchased and altered. We have gone in Summer and at Christmas will our Halloween trip finally happen after 6 years years? Now we need a September planning thread :thumbsup2.

Sherry - love the pictures of all of the flowers! September/October Halloween trip planning in the works. Got time off of work, Hotel reserved, annual passes purchased, photopass and character meal purchased, Halloween costumes decided on and in the works of being purchased and altered. We have gone in Summer and at Christmas will our Halloween trip finally happen after 6 years years? Now we need a September planning thread :thumbsup2.

Hi there, 6Smiles!

Thank you!

There should be a September check-in thread where people give dates they are going and where they are staying, but you (and all other Halloween Time travelers) can chat, discuss, plan and get tips about anything Halloween Time or MHP-related in this Superthread! That's why this thread is here -- for discussion!

Sherry……You DID it!!!!!

You posted the picture of the Mickey Head Cactus!

Thank you! We still haven't seen this in person, since you told me about it, because of that dang refurb!!!!!

Can't wait to look for it in 2 weeks!!!:cool1:(Is is still there?)

Sherry, you need to stop doing such a good job with these Halloween threads! LOL Now, I want to go back to DLR during Halloween! We had such an awesome time last October and it was so much fun to dress up and attend the parties! If only I had more vacation time and money, I would be at DLR for every special occasion! Keep up the good work!

We love Halloween, which is why we will be at the parks then, however we don't want to go to MHP at all. The extra cost and descriptions of the oversold crowds convinced us we didn't need that. How early do the parks close for the party? Do both parks close, or just Disneyland? We would like to get the most out of the parks without going to the party. Thanks for your wisdom. :)

Sherry……You DID it!!!!!

You posted the picture of the Mickey Head Cactus!

Thank you! We still haven't seen this in person, since you told me about it, because of that dang refurb!!!!!

Can't wait to look for it in 2 weeks!!!:cool1:(Is is still there?)

Cheshirecatty --

:rotfl2:I thought of you when I posted the cactus photo!

You know, I'm actually not sure if it is still there. I didn't look for it last week. I haven't looked for it in a while, but I could swear that I've seen two versions of the Mickey cactus (possibly in 2 different locations??) over the years. I could totally be imagining things, but in addition to the location on the way to the Ranch/Roundup I could swear that I also once saw a Mickey-ish cactus somewhere closer to Rancho del Zocalo or nearer to where the Dia de los Muertos display usually is. I could be imagining it though -- maybe I've only seen the Mickey cactus in one spot and my mind thinks it was in two different spots!:rotfl2:

The Mickey cactus is such a nice touch/detail in Frontierland that I hope it was kept intact somewhere in that land. Other than Cars Land, there are not many lands at DLR in which a cactus would fit, thematically speaking.

Sherry, you need to stop doing such a good job with these Halloween threads! LOL Now, I want to go back to DLR during Halloween! We had such an awesome time last October and it was so much fun to dress up and attend the parties! If only I had more vacation time and money, I would be at DLR for every special occasion! Keep up the good work!

Thank you kindly, Disney127!:goodvibes

I love Halloween Time and the entire holiday season, so it is easy for me to share my enthusiasm for their celebrations at DLR -- and hopefully help people plan their trips and know what to expect when they get there as well!

I know what you mean -- it would be great to be at DLR for every special occasion, if only time and finances allowed. I have yet to get there for the Bayou Bash/Mardi Gras fun, or for Valentine's Day, or for St. Patrick's Day, or for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve/Day. I was anxious (and fortunate) to be able to see the Springtime/Easter offerings this year, and I was very impressed. I still love what DLR does with Halloween Time and the holiday season more, but that's mainly because DLR has not fully developed its Springtime/Easter "season" yet. What they have done so far (the Springtime Roundup and the Eggs-travaganza egg hunt) is great.

I think you will have a great holiday season trip, even though you can't make it for Halloween Time this year (and keep your eyes peeled for the clunky seashells and surfboards around the gorgeous PPH Christmas tree)!

I'm glad to see you both here in this thread and in the Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread!

Second year in a row of no Halloween for me :'( I need Disneyland in my life!! It's been over a year since my last trip.

Hi, Kristin!:wave:

I can't believe how quickly time is flying by. I remember when you were first moving away and would have to miss your first Halloween Time at DLR. Now we're already inching up on the second Halloween season that you'll be missing?

You have been to WDW for their version of Halloween Time, haven't you (even though it's not really called Halloween Time at WDW)? In photos I have seen a lot of things that look interesting to me about the WDW Halloween things, but I think I prefer the DLR decorations.

We love Halloween, which is why we will be at the parks then, however we don't want to go to MHP at all. The extra cost and descriptions of the oversold crowds convinced us we didn't need that. How early do the parks close for the party? Do both parks close, or just Disneyland? We would like to get the most out of the parks without going to the party. Thanks for your wisdom. :)

Hello, SusanMatt!

Here is the October schedule for 2013, to give you an idea of the parks' hours on MHP nights.

Disneyland usually closes at 6 p.m. on earlier weeknight MHP nights, and at 7 p.m. on Friday nights. Of course, there is a window of "crossover time" in which the MHP guests can enter the parks 3 hours before the start of the MHP, while the non-party guests stay in the parks as well. MHP guests can enter with their MHP tickets in hand as early as 3 p.m. on nights other than Friday and at 4 p.m. on Fridays. Non-MHP guests have to leave Disneyland at 6 p.m. and 7 p.m., respectively. So those 3 hours of crossover time can get pretty crowded in spots around DLR!

DCA stays open a bit longer to catch the non-MHP people heading out of DL.

Can't wait to know the dates for the parties. Probably our only trip up to Disneyland. Though yesterday I almost drove up to Disneyland when visiting grandparents and renewed my annual pass. My daughter is still free for a couple more weeks. I was sooooo tempted but did resist.

Question, how is it with meeting villains during the Halloween period, not specifically during MHP?

I'm used to Disneyland Paris, during Halloween period there the villains had their sets the entire month of October. 4-6 times a day, every day.

When I went to WDW in September 2012, I only saw the opportunity to meet villains was during MNSSHP.

Can't wait to know the dates for the parties. Probably our only trip up to Disneyland. Though yesterday I almost drove up to Disneyland when visiting grandparents and renewed my annual pass. My daughter is still free for a couple more weeks. I was sooooo tempted but did resist.

Alohagirl73 --

You never know -- after your Halloween trip you may not be able to resist the sirens' call of the holiday season!:rotfl2:

Frankly, at this point I just can't wait for any semblance of autumn to appear.:rotfl2: I know that most folks are relieved to be done with winter and are thrilled at the prospect of a long, hot summer ahead. Meanwhile I am thinking of ways to try to make the summer bearable (since I am not a summer person at all) and get to September. I have to endure summer to get to "the fun months" anchoring the end of the year!

Last year I tried to supplement my Halloween season experience (outside of DLR) by visiting a local Fall Festival/Harvest sort of thing at the Farmers Market. It was okay -- kind of lackluster -- but nothing like the Halloween Time fun at Disneyland. I think that if we had any really good pumpkin patches around my area (in the middle of Los Angeles) and really autumn-esque activities, and if it were not 90 degrees when autumn rolls around, it would feel more Halloween-ish to me. However, it seems as though the best pumpkin patch is in Irvine -- nowhere near where I live! All of the pumpkin patches around my area are basically small city parking lots.

I'd love a good, old fashioned corn maze around my neck of the woods. There is, of course, a haunted hayride in the Hollywood hills that I could do, if I want to jump out of the vehicle in a panic and run screaming into the night after too many crazies pop out from the shadows and snarl at me. There is also Universal Studios, if I want to be chased around by chainsaw-wielding maniacs and growled at by bloody creatures.

So, basically, the best way for me to spend my Halloween-related time is at DLR!:thumbsup2 Early signs of Halloween will begin showing themselves in July and August, but there are still 5 long months to go before autumn arrives.

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

Amazing photo, Jack!

It is so hard to get great photos inside HMH, and I applaud you and everyone else who pulls it off so well!:worship:

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

Question, how is it with meeting villains during the Halloween period, not specifically during MHP?

I'm used to Disneyland Paris, during Halloween period there the villains had their sets the entire month of October. 4-6 times a day, every day.

When I went to WDW in September 2012, I only saw the opportunity to meet villains was during MNSSHP.

Hi there, Karin1984!:wave:

Did you see the photos of the posters of the Old Hag and Maleficent that I posted here yesterday? Those are from the Halloween Carnival. There is a tent in the Carnival where you can "Conjure a Villain" every day and get photos.

Once upon a time there was a designated Villains photo spot set up near IASW in Fantasyland. Usually there would be 2 or 3 Villains at the photo spot at one time (they would trade off, so when one of them took a break another one would fill in), and they were all visible to anyone approaching the line so you could see who you would be meeting.

In 2012, that Villains photo spot was removed and the Villains moved over to the Halloween Carnival/Halloween Roundup in Frontierland, in their new Conjure a Villain set-up.

The trouble is, in the new Conjure a Villain format, you don't get to choose who you will be meeting. You won't know in advance who you are meeting, because the Villains are no longer out in the open as they used to be in Fantasyland. This resulted in some folks meeting the same Villain over and over again last year (DIS'er pudinhd met the same one more than once in 2013). The whole idea is that a group of people is let into the tent and they "conjure" up the Villain, who comes out and greets them. Really, I think it is whichever Villain happens to be available at the time and can come to the Carnival that ends up being the person you meet.

I should also mention that because the Carnival is the only place to meet a Villain or Villains during the daytime, outside of the MHP, the line to get into the tent is sometimes quite long.

I tend to think that Disney made the Villains a bit more "exclusive" and hard to access so that they would end up being selling points for the MHP. If people know that they can meet more than one Villain at the MHP -- and possibly even some rare Villains every so often - they will be more likely to buy MHP tickets. If the Villains are out and about everywhere during the daytime, there is not as much mystique.

Mmm... then I might have to reconsider the MHP and save my money to go to DLP before my trip to DLR to get my villain fix ;) Long lines and then 1 villain isn't really appealing. And with it being exclusive to meet more villains during the MHP it'll be crowded there.

In Paris (especially last year as due to recession and Disney Dreams there were no Halloween-parties) it is easy to meet villains, so I have hardly any 'rare' villains left. The only one I would love to meet is Mother Gothel, but that will always stay a dream, I'm afraid.

I have some things to think about.

Other topic! Music. How is the music during the Halloween period, there were different songs they played when I was in Paris and when I was in WDW. Any specific songs for DLR?

Sherry

I know we may end up at Disneyland during the holidays. All the pictures always make me want to go. I've been last 2 years so maybe.......

We have a pumpkin patch in my town and love going there. My daughter loves the apple picking in the orchards and as she gets older more things we will do. Just really hoping it cools off. I'm not a fan of super hot. I really missed winter here in Southern California!

Mmm... then I might have to reconsider the MHP and save my money to go to DLP before my trip to DLR to get my villain fix ;) Long lines and then 1 villain isn't really appealing. And with it being exclusive to meet more villains during the MHP it'll be crowded there.

In Paris (especially last year as due to recession and Disney Dreams there were no Halloween-parties) it is easy to meet villains, so I have hardly any 'rare' villains left. The only one I would love to meet is Mother Gothel, but that will always stay a dream, I'm afraid.

I have some things to think about.

Other topic! Music. How is the music during the Halloween period, there were different songs they played when I was in Paris and when I was in WDW. Any specific songs for DLR?

Karin1984 -

I get what DLR is trying to do in making the Conjuring of the Villain a sort of carnival-themed game so that you never know which Villain will appear, but I still think it is a secret ploy to get people to buy MHP tickets since the Villains are more available and accessible at the MHP!

I just don't like the idea of possibly waiting in line to conjure a Villain more than once, and then ending up meeting the same Villain both times! I really preferred the old Villains set up in Fantasyland better, where there were 2 or 3 of them out in one spot and you could clearly see who you would be meeting! Even before the Fantasyland set-up the Villains used to be in DCA, and that was a good spot too!

I love the Halloween Carnival/Roundup in general because it's a lively, upbeat place -- but even aside from the line for the Conjure a Villain tent, the whole area can get a bit crowded at times because there is so much going on back there (Pirates League, the pumpkin carvers, games, crafts, cookie decorating, characters in Halloween attire, animals and the Villains tent). It's not unbearably, insanely crowded and it is a very festive, fun area (my favorite section is the pumpkin carving location), but the Carnival is one of the only places in DLR that is heavily devoted to Halloween Time fun (whereas the holiday season has holiday stuff all over both parks), so a lot of people head there to enjoy it.

Music. Hmmm... This might be something that Cheshirecatty or figment_jii knows/remembers offhand better than I can remember it, but I will say that one of the things I used to love about Halloween Time pre-2010 was the fact that there was themed music playing in DCA! That was when Halloween Time was included in DCA as well as in DL. You'd walk through the gates of DCA and hear "Monster Mash" and other similar types of songs. The themed music and the giant candy corn/Candy Corn Acres decorations have been gone from DCA for years.

I could be wrong, but it seems like I have heard some themed instrumental songs in Frontierland, playing as sort of background noise. Billy Hill and the "Haunted Hillbillies" -- when they were still at DLR -- used to perform themed songs, such as "Devil Went Down to Georgia."

The Dapper Dans sing appropriately-themed songs on Main Street, and then the "Cadaver Dans" perform spooky songs at the MHP, illuminated by a ghoulish glow!

Sherry

I know we may end up at Disneyland during the holidays. All the pictures always make me want to go. I've been last 2 years so maybe.......

We have a pumpkin patch in my town and love going there. My daughter loves the apple picking in the orchards and as she gets older more things we will do. Just really hoping it cools off. I'm not a fan of super hot. I really missed winter here in Southern California!

Alohagirl73 --

I hate heat. Once it gets above 73 or 74 degrees or so, it's too much for me, especially in summer. An 80-degree day in spring or summer feels different and much harsher than an 80-degree day in fall or winter! I like certain things associated with warm weather, such as the beach, picnics, barbecues and things like that, but I hate heat!

You live in an area of SoCal where there is apple picking in an orchard and a good pumpkin patch? Where is this wondrous place? It's not where I am -- that much I know!:rotfl2:

Unfortunately, I can't help much with the music question.

I know that during the Halloween Parties, they do(as Sherry stated), play all kinds of "Halloween" themed music, but I can't remember exactly which specific songs---Sorry, I'm usually too busy/enjoying myself too much, to actually document details such as this( I know, I know, I'm lazy;)!)

However, I absolutely do not remember any "Halloween" themed music, playing anywhere in the Parks during the regular operating hours, except the ones Sherry has already mentioned---Dapper Dans and our sadly departed Billy Hill, maybe one or two by the Disneyland Band, and "Ghost Riders in the Sky" in Frontierland(but that might be part of the regular loop?).

This doesn't mean there isn't any, it just means I might be really unobservant:rolleyes2!(We definitely need figment to chime in!)

I still hold out hope that one day we will see Halloween Time make its way onto Buena Vista Street and into Cars Land, and if that ever happens I think the music could be interesting! I really think that both of those lands have great potential for a Halloween makeover (in different styles) -- not that I want to see anything Halloween-ish taken out of Disneyland to use in DCA, of course -- and in Cars Land it could be particularly wacky, both in terms of décor and in music.

I have even wondered why A Bug's Land hasn't received some Halloween touches over the years (not counting the candy corn that Heimlich is always eating, year round). To me, it seems that the exaggerated size and whimsical nature of that land would lend themselves to doing something fun for Halloween Time.

In my opinion, if Bugs and Cars celebrate the holidays, they should celebrate Halloween too! Can you imagine -- trick or treating for hubcaps and gas cans? McQueen and Mater can wear masks as they roll down the street. The Cozy Cone is already a nice, bright orange color that could work in a Halloween color scheme -- and some of the cones can form the pointy parts of witches' hats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter