• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HalloweenTime at DLR Info and Photo Superthread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy, Jamie! Side note -- I thought of you the other day. I was at the Springtime Roundup in DLR, and I noticed the seasonal cotton candy -- which, for Spring/Easter, is sort of pastel-colored instead of straight pink. If it had a seasonal flavor, I wonder what it could be. Jelly bean, perhaps??:rotfl2: But, alas, instantly I remembered that you told me that the cotton candy at the Roundup is not flavored to its theme, so I was not fooled by the pretty colors!:rotfl2: I am certain that the MHP will still include Fridays, so I think you will be in luck. The main thing I wonder is how many party nights there will be this year? Last year there were 13. Prior to that there have been 11 nights and 10 nights. If I am not mistaken, this year Halloween falls on a Friday (so there is an MHP night right there). I have been saying for a few years that at some point I want to do the MHP on Halloween night. Friday is a good night to try it out. This might be the year that I do a Halloween night MHP. I have to do it while I am still young enough (cough cough) and mobile enough to enjoy it, and can get around the parks with ease! A few years from now, if I wait for the next Friday night Halloween, I might not be able to move! Jamie, I'm excited for you that (it seems) you have got 3 DLR trips coming up -- correct? You've got your June trip (that's when the Roundup will probably have "patriotic-colored" cotton candy!), your November/pre-Thanksgiving trip and now October too!

This does make 3 upcoming trips! I am beyond excited. We first did Halloweentime in 2012, so we are excited to go back, especially now that we know what to expect with the MHP. I think DH might actually be the most excited about the trick or treating, lol.

I am still upset about that cotton candy! Thankfully, my kids aren't too picky so they weren't upset - I'll keep you updated if we try anymore on our upcoming trips.

This does make 3 upcoming trips! I am beyond excited. We first did Halloweentime in 2012, so we are excited to go back, especially now that we know what to expect with the MHP. I think DH might actually be the most excited about the trick or treating, lol.

I am still upset about that cotton candy! Thankfully, my kids aren't too picky so they weren't upset - I'll keep you updated if we try anymore on our upcoming trips.

Jamie --

I can't help but giggle about that deceptive cotton candy. It's so sneaky with its pretty colors -- I think it was pastel pink and green a few days ago, and we know for Halloween it will look like candy corn. Then, come November, it will turn into the "candy cane" version. For summer it will probably be red, white and blue. The cotton candy is a lie!:rotfl2: It's the illusion of seasonally flavored cotton candy, when really it is just the same old flavor!

I have to admit that I agree with your DH -- the trick or treating is fun, even as an adult!:rotfl2: As I was hunting eggs the other day at DLR I considered the fact that egg hunting is primarily an activity geared towards kids, as is trick or treating, of course. I wouldn't be hunting eggs or trick or treating in "real life," but it's acceptable to do those things at Disneyland!

The Halloween party will probably be our only time at Disneyland this year. We loved the party last year. Sooo much fun.

Hello, Alohagirl73!

I remember that you did the MHP last year -- and you also went to DLR in November, right as the holidays were starting, correct? (Or am I imagining that?:rotfl2:) So no holiday trip this year? Only Halloween time?

Sherry

What an awesome memory. Yes did Halloween party and went in November. We let our annual passes expire to take a Disney cruise this summer!!!!! Can't wait for that. Now I say that we will only go to the party but I know that the Christmas decorations will get to me and I will have to find a great Southern California deal.

Sherry

What an awesome memory. Yes did Halloween party and went in November. We let our annual passes expire to take a Disney cruise this summer!!!!! Can't wait for that. Now I say that we will only go to the party but I know that the Christmas decorations will get to me and I will have to find a great Southern California deal.

I'm glad I remembered correctly and was not imagining it!:rotfl2:

The cruise should be amazing, or so it seems from all that I have read and heard. What a great thing to do in the summer! I hope you have a wonderful time.

It's hard to resist the holiday merriment once it kicks in. Even if you find a way to go for only one day, it might be enough to satisfy the urge!:rotfl2: Last year turned out to be one of the better holiday seasons in terms of overall décor in the parks and extra things thrown in, such as Elf Days, Viva Navidad, totally new hotel decorations, etc. I really can't wait to see what's in store for this year's season, and I hope that DLR doesn't scale it back.

Likewise, I hope DLR does not scale down the Halloween décor and fun either. (Last year -- no masked Halloween floral Mickey at the entrance to DL? What was up with that?) If anything, they need to add more to Halloween Time and not take anything else away!

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

A little dose of color for today, to put everyone in a Halloween-ish sort of mood (on Good Friday!). All of these photos are from September 2013, with the exception of the first one, which was taken in December 2012...

1787a935-cedf-4198-9880-fa9a6dc5790b.jpg

IMG_8163.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

IMG_8203.jpg

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8215.jpg

IMG_8217.jpg

IMG_8336.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8341.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

IMG_8345.jpg

IMG_8250.jpg

I absolutely agree Sherry, and frankly, in my book, it's never too early to begin anticipating/planning our Halloween Trip---even if it does mean mixing chocolate eggs and fall leaves!:yay:

I absolutely agree Sherry, and frankly, in my book, it's never too early to begin anticipating/planning our Halloween Trip---even if it does mean mixing chocolate eggs and fall leaves!:yay:

Cheshirecatty --

Absolutely! Throw some candy corn into a dish with some jelly beans and it's a Hallow-Easter party!:rotfl2:

It is definitely not too early to begin anticipating fall/Halloween trips and the holiday season trips. I am already over the summer heat and summer hasn't even begun yet!:rotfl2::rotfl2: I am just preemptively hating the summer heat, I suppose.

As much as I love the pretty colors at DLR for Springtime/Easter, the beautiful flowers, the gorgeous skies, etc., the sun is too harsh for me. Most of the country is still trying to climb out of the Polar Vortex and its residual effects, and they would love this glorious California spring sun. I, on the other hand, am anticipating the first signs of autumn...which will begin to appear in stores in July or August!:yay: I just have to grit my teeth and endure the heat of summer before I get to the fun that awaits me on the other side!:rotfl2:

Sherry E said:
Autty40 -

I remember when you went to DLR in sort of early/mid-November last year! So you've got a second Halloween Time trip coming up this year?

Thank you for the kind words. I am hoping the new and improved Halloween Superthread will be more informative, more helpful, etc. Of course, it won't be on quite the scale of the Christmas Superthread because the Halloween Time season is not as big of an event as the holiday season is, despite the fact that it lasts a good 1.5 months. So there will be some categories and posts that I can leave off of the new page 1 (when I begin that thread), whereas the holiday seasons seems to be growing.
Our family went the week before Thanksgiving while The View was taping. Besides all the holiday info I received, this thread helped calm my nerves when a wrench was thrown in. I was prepared and we had a great time! I can't wait to see what this thread will add to our trip this year!

Our family went the week before Thanksgiving while The View was taping. Besides all the holiday info I received, this thread helped calm my nerves when a wrench was thrown in. I was prepared and we had a great time! I can't wait to see what this thread will add to our trip this year!

Oh yes! The View -- I remember now that The View suddenly popped up during your planned dates, and you were a bit concerned over how it was going to affect your trip. I'm so glad to hear that the DLR visit went well.

Last year the wrench in the holiday season was The View. This year the wrench in the holiday season schedule -- or, rather, the wild card/question mark -- is the Avengers Half-Marathon! We're not used to having a marathon right around the start of the season, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

So far, at least for right now, it doesn't appear that any major wild cards or wrenches will wedge themselves into the Halloween Time season, but it's still early. We'll see what happens. There is still plenty of time for DLR to throw something in the mix to shake things up and leave us all guessing!

So far, at least for right now, it doesn't appear that any major wild cards or wrenches will wedge themselves into the Halloween Time season, but it's still early. We'll see what happens. There is still plenty of time for DLR to throw something in the mix to shake things up and leave us all guessing!
I think the 'biggest' wrench at this point is trying to guess when the first MHP will start! Will they add more? Will they keep the same? :rotfl: It's like trying to see the future in a murky crystal ball through the fog!

I think the 'biggest' wrench at this point is trying to guess when the first MHP will start! Will they add more? Will they keep the same? :rotfl: It's like trying to see the future in a murky crystal ball through the fog!

Very true, figment_jii!:rotfl2: And just when we think we have DLR nailed down to some sort of predictable, reliable schedule, they switch something up on us!

I would assume that 9/26 will be the start date of the MHP, if 9/12 is the start of Halloween Time -- do you agree? The MHP usually begins 2 weeks after the start of the Halloween Time season...at least, so far that has been the pattern.

I sort of thought that last year's 13-night MHP extravaganza was specifically due to the "13 theme" that was connected to the 13 years of HMH and Friday the 13th. In 2012 there were 11 MHP nights, and not too, too long ago there were only 10 MHP nights.

However, the 13 parties did pretty well and they all eventually sold out, didn't they? Or there was only one left open, perhaps? So, I can't see why Disney wouldn't want to cash in on that again and offer up another 13 nights. It would seem to be taking a step backwards if they reverted to the 11-night schedule at this point.

What I wonder is if DLR will ever end up starting the MHP earlier in September, like when MNSSHP starts at WDW.

We will be there Sept 7th through to the 17th. I am hopeful that they will start Halloween time early enough we would see it (and I would absolutely kill for a MHP during out stay!)
I also had assumed that PL was open all year round like at WDW but apparently it is Halloween only so fingers crossed that that opens for us too! Does anyone know when PL opened last year?

I would assume that 9/26 will be the start date of the MHP, if 9/12 is the start of Halloween Time -- do you agree?
That's kind of the dates I was figuring things would happen as well. I don't honestly see them starting HalloweenTime all that much earlier, but I could see the parties starting early (i.e., with the start of HalloweenTime). Could you imagine what kind of kick off weekend that would be...HMH, SMGG, and the first MHP all on 9/12?

However, the 13 parties did pretty well and they all eventually sold out, didn't they? Or there was only one left open, perhaps?
Based on the list that Geemo was keeping all but one party sold out. So that's a sign that the parties are popular, so adding more probably wouldn't out of the question.

What I wonder is if DLR will ever end up starting the MHP earlier in September, like when MNSSHP starts at WDW.
I doubt DLR is ever going to start HalloweenTime and MHP at the start of September. As much as it seems like there is an influx of "tourists" visitors coming this year, DLR is still primarily a locals' park. I'm just not convinced that people (non-tourist/vacationing-type folks) are really thinking about Halloween and MHP at that point. While some elements of Halloween are showing up as early as the end of August, it just doesn't seem that wide spread. Folks are still thinking about kids going back to school, the end of summer, etc.

So it seems like there are two conflicting issues...there is obviously a demand for MHP, but whether that demand would translate to earlier in the year is less clear. Frankly, I would be more inclined to guess that they'd add parties in (going to a three day per week schedule) opposed to starting earlier. MNSSHP runs three nights per week and more the closer it is to Halloween. I cant quite see DLR going to four nights per week, but adding in Sunday (or Monday) would not surprise me.

Just for some insight from the other coast, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is supposedly starting on 9/1 this year. That's the earliest I've ever seen it. And MANY of their parties don't sell out. With nearly every party selling out at DLR, I'm shocked they haven't added more in recent years.

That's kind of the dates I was figuring things would happen as well. I don't honestly see them starting HalloweenTime all that much earlier, but I could see the parties starting early (i.e., with the start of HalloweenTime). Could you imagine what kind of kick off weekend that would be...HMH, SMGG, and the first MHP all on 9/12? Based on the list that Geemo was keeping all but one party sold out. So that's a sign that the parties are popular, so adding more probably wouldn't out of the question. I doubt DLR is ever going to start HalloweenTime and MHP at the start of September. As much as it seems like there is an influx of "tourists" visitors coming this year, DLR is still primarily a locals' park. I'm just not convinced that people (non-tourist/vacationing-type folks) are really thinking about Halloween and MHP at that point. While some elements of Halloween are showing up as early as the end of August, it just doesn't seem that wide spread. Folks are still thinking about kids going back to school, the end of summer, etc. So it seems like there are two conflicting issues...there is obviously a demand for MHP, but whether that demand would translate to earlier in the year is less clear. Frankly, I would be more inclined to guess that they'd add parties in (going to a three day per week schedule) opposed to starting earlier. MNSSHP runs three nights per week and more the closer it is to Halloween. I cant quite see DLR going to four nights per week, but adding in Sunday (or Monday) would not surprise me.

I really do hope they do NOT get an early start, but rather they make it 3 parties per week.

Early September is just too soon, I like the idea of having a "slow" period before the parks ramp up for the Halloween and Christmas season.

My fingers are crossed, eyes shut tight and wishing for a 9/26 MHP start date :-)

We will be there Sept 7th through to the 17th. I am hopeful that they will start Halloween time early enough we would see it (and I would absolutely kill for a MHP during out stay!)
I also had assumed that PL was open all year round like at WDW but apparently it is Halloween only so fingers crossed that that opens for us too! Does anyone know when PL opened last year?

mummabear --

Pirates League was open in its new location at the Halloween Carnival on the first day of Halloween Time last year -- which was Friday, 9/13/13. In 2012 it was in New Orleans Square.

You will definitely get the Halloween experience during some of your trip. It is always possible that DLR could switch things up on us and start Halloween Time a few days later than we expect -- in other words, instead of 9/12 they could start it on Monday, 9/15 or something. It's not too likely, but it's possible. Still, you'd at least have a couple of days of official Halloween Time fun!

Also, even before the season officially starts you will see Halloween merchandise in the stores around DLR and certain treats popping up in the candy and bake shops. You will also see the bright orange character pumpkins above the DL turnstiles appear before the season officially begins.

I don't think the MHP will officially start any earlier than 9/26 this year, if DLR keeps up with the pattern of beginning it 2 weeks after the Halloween Time season starts, and assuming Halloween Time begins on 9/12. One of these days they may chance it and try to start the MHP a little closer to when Halloween Time begins, but who knows when they would try out that plan?

Last year there was a big goof/misprint in the Backstage Pass newsletter for AP holders that said the MHP was starting on a Monday night instead of a Friday night. It was completely incorrect, which we came to find out later -- after people adjusted their plans and changed trip dates. The party began, as we all originally expected, on a Friday night.

I have to admit, though, that it did get me thinking about how easily the dates can be switched when we least expect it.

Haunted Mansion Holiday will open either on the start date of the season, or possibly soft open the day before.

Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy will be open on the first official day of the season.

The Happiest Haunts tour should start on the first day of the Halloween Time season, too, as I recall.

That's kind of the dates I was figuring things would happen as well. I don't honestly see them starting HalloweenTime all that much earlier, but I could see the parties starting early (i.e., with the start of HalloweenTime). Could you imagine what kind of kick off weekend that would be...HMH, SMGG, and the first MHP all on 9/12?

Based on the list that Geemo was keeping all but one party sold out. So that's a sign that the parties are popular, so adding more probably wouldn't out of the question.

I doubt DLR is ever going to start HalloweenTime and MHP at the start of September. As much as it seems like there is an influx of "tourists" visitors coming this year, DLR is still primarily a locals' park. I'm just not convinced that people (non-tourist/vacationing-type folks) are really thinking about Halloween and MHP at that point. While some elements of Halloween are showing up as early as the end of August, it just doesn't seem that wide spread. Folks are still thinking about kids going back to school, the end of summer, etc.

So it seems like there are two conflicting issues...there is obviously a demand for MHP, but whether that demand would translate to earlier in the year is less clear. Frankly, I would be more inclined to guess that they'd add parties in (going to a three day per week schedule) opposed to starting earlier. MNSSHP runs three nights per week and more the closer it is to Halloween. I cant quite see DLR going to four nights per week, but adding in Sunday (or Monday) would not surprise me.

figment_jii --

All very good points.

I think that the earliest DLR could get away with starting the MHP (in its current format) would be when Halloween Time begins, but maybe they might try to do something like start it one week earlier than usual at some point -- in other words, one week after the season begins instead of two.

If DLR ever decides to ramp things up a bit and add in major new elements to either the Halloween Time season or to the MHP, that could be an excuse to start the MHP a little earlier in September than usual, perhaps. If, for example, they ever decide to do the long-rumored TSMM Halloween overlay (which would make more sense now that we have a direct Toy Story-Halloween connection from the Toy Story of TERROR special last year), that could be a reason to extend things out a bit because it would presumably draw in some curious guests to the parks.

On a whole, though, I totally agree with you that, for the most part, most people (especially the non-DLR experts/aficionados/fanatics and reluctant holiday celebrants) will not be in a Halloween kind of mood in early September, and therefore would not be receptive to an earlier MHP.

Heck, as we all know, I love most holidays and I love fall. I adore Halloween and Halloween-ish things, and I can't wait for autumn to arrive -- but it is hard to walk into DLR when it is very hot and sunny outside (like in the 90s, sometimes) and get "in the Halloween spirit." All the visual signs are there -- bright orange bunting and pumpkins everywhere. Colorful window displays. I know that I am happy about Halloween Time arriving when I'm there...but it still feels like summer and I have to adjust my mindset into Halloween mode. Not that I'm complaining...I'd much rather DLR keeps starting Halloween Time when they do instead of making it a later event.

Other people will just declare that it is not Halloween to them until at least October -- and, conveniently, the MHP takes place mostly in October and hardly in September at all! So, DLR must recognize that most people -- at least, most locals -- do not start feeling really Halloween-ish until October.

Many people don't understand why there are any signs of Halloween popping up before mid-October, let alone in July or August! (I saw one online comment from someone somewhere who suggested that people should not even be decorating their houses, watching holiday movies or listening to Christmas music...until the weekend right before Christmas!!!!!:faint::rotfl: Ha! Are you kidding me?:rotfl2::rotfl2: But I digress...)

Just for some insight from the other coast, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is supposedly starting on 9/1 this year. That's the earliest I've ever seen it. And MANY of their parties don't sell out. With nearly every party selling out at DLR, I'm shocked they haven't added more in recent years.

Hi, Janet!

September 1st? Wow! That is really early.

DLR could certainly sell more party tickets because many people assume that the MHP nights will have low crowds and would buy the tickets for that reason alone (even though the crowds at the parties are anything but low!).

I would guess that the only reason DLR has not added in more party nights on a regular basis (as opposed to the random fluke occurrences in which there end up being 3 parties in a week) is because of the disruption it would cause to the schedule and to the regular, non-Halloween party visitors who want to be able to get as many hours in the park as possible, without being kicked out due to a party.

There are a lot of people who still don't consider Halloween to be a substantial holiday -- despite its increasing popularity all over America and even in some other countries -- and they just don't like it. I mean, people certainly feel that way about Christmas too, but clearly Christmas is such a huge holiday that it kind of 'takes over' whether people like it or not. It can't be avoided.

Halloween is a different story -- because it is not quite as extensive and all-encompassing as the holiday season is, a lot of people feel they can avoid all traces of Halloween if they just look the other way and pretend it's not there (and that means in or out of Disneyland).

So I think that trying to push more Halloween on people who are not ready to accept it might be risky for DLR, and that could be why they haven't gone forward in developing the season a bit more. If anything, they seem to scale it back and remove things, so I feel that they probably want to keep Halloween Time in Disneyland as a strong presence -- but just not as prominent and dominant as the holiday season is!

Of course, for me, personally, I can't get enough Halloween Time or the holiday season -- so the more DLR does with it, the better!:dancer:

I really do hope they do NOT get an early start, but rather they make it 3 parties per week.

Early September is just too soon, I like the idea of having a "slow" period before the parks ramp up for the Halloween and Christmas season.

My fingers are crossed, eyes shut tight and wishing for a 9/26 MHP start date :-)

Vintage Mouseketeer --

I suspect you'll get your wish for a start date, and there may be a couple of extra nights thrown into random weeks...always with the one, lone straggler date that doesn't sell out!

As we know, DLR tends to oversell the MHP tickets and the parties end up being too crowded, or more crowded than they should be for an exclusive, hard ticket event. I remember you saying last year that you'd prefer it if more MHP nights are added into the schedule in future years, to help thin out the crowds a bit. That will work if DLR sells fewer tickets to each party, but I tend to think that they would still oversell and just add in more nights to oversell!:rotfl2:

mummabear --

Pirates League was open in its new location at the Halloween Carnival on the first day of Halloween Time last year -- which was Friday, 9/13/13. In 2012 it was in New Orleans Square.

You will definitely get the Halloween experience during some of your trip. It is always possible that DLR could switch things up on us and start Halloween Time a few days later than we expect -- in other words, instead of 9/12 they could start it on Monday, 9/15 or something. It's not too likely, but it's possible. Still, you'd at least have a couple of days of official Halloween Time fun!

Also, even before the season officially starts you will see Halloween merchandise in the stores around DLR and certain treats popping up in the candy and bake shops. You will also see the bright orange character pumpkins above the DL turnstiles appear before the season officially begins.

I don't think the MHP will officially start any earlier than 9/26 this year, if DLR keeps up with the pattern of beginning it 2 weeks after the Halloween Time season starts, and assuming Halloween Time begins on 9/12. One of these days they may chance it and try to start the MHP a little closer to when Halloween Time begins, but who knows when they would try out that plan?

Last year there was a big goof/misprint in the Backstage Pass newsletter for AP holders that said the MHP was starting on a Monday night instead of a Friday night. It was completely incorrect, which we came to find out later -- after people adjusted their plans and changed trip dates. The party began, as we all originally expected, on a Friday night.

I have to admit, though, that it did get me thinking about how easily the dates can be switched when we least expect it.

Haunted Mansion Holiday will open either on the start date of the season, or possibly soft open the day before.

Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy will be open on the first official day of the season.

The Happiest Haunts tour should start on the first day of the Halloween Time season, too, as I recall.

We have been there twice before at the start of the Halloween season, so have seen treats/overlays. Sadly our school terms don't match up to allow us to holiday that couple of weeks later. I was hoping it was more like wdw with its start times....People don't really trick or treat here and I would love the kids to get to do it....
I know DL is a locals park but I do think there is enough international visitors interested...
Glad to here PL should be open while we are there =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter