• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HalloweenTime at DLR Info and Photo Superthread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Sherry E!!!!

Theres an outside chance that my wife and I will be in Monterey this October and we would love to be able to see the Halloween party added to our itinerary. So I'm on board for this Superthread!! We haven't been to Disneyland since 2007 for Halloween and it was our very first time to DL and they didn't have any parties then. I need to go to the first page of this superthread to see all the vital information for hours/prices/fun activities.

Our dream itinerary would be to visit on a sat/sun at the beginning to see the party and then at the end of the week when we come back down from NorCal we might do another day. If you buy two day tickets how long before you need to use them? 14 days? Any other suggestions for Halloween?

Hi Sherry,
My girl scouts have been selling cookies for forever to be able to go to DLR. We will be going the first weekend in October. I am looking forward go sharing this thread with them. Thank you for all this hard work.

Hi, all!:wave:

And a special hello to my Christmas Superthread peeps who made their way over here, such as KCmike, lucysmom and aidensmom31!

I just wanted to pop in and remind you that a new and improved Halloween Superthread is coming very, very soon. I have not abandoned it -- this thread and the Christmas Superthread are like my children, and I wouldn't abandon my children (after spending so many years raising and nurturing them!!:rotfl2:)!!

I had already been thinking that I was going to start the new Halloween thread in (approximately) a week or two, one way or another, but when I saw DenaRox's great October check-in thread I thought I'd better let everyone know that we are still in business here as a one-stop shop for discussion on all things Halloween Time at DLR, including breaking news, etc.!

I am past the technical/PC issues now, so I am plowing full steam ahead in assembling the info I have planned for page 1 of the new, bigger/better Halloween Time Superthread. The Christmas Superthread is a much larger undertaking and more extensive, so I have been trying to get some of it done before moving over to this thread -- which will not be quite as involved and extensive. I will have a page 1 layout similar (though not exact) to the Christmas Superthread in the new Halloween Time Superthread, with different categories for the posts.

I know that Kilala and figment_jii have photos to share (as we wait for 2014 Halloween Time information to come in). I was afraid that if they posted now their photos would get buried at the end of this thread right before we move to the new one, but it's up to them -- if Kilala and figment_jii want to post photos now, please feel free! If you want to wait for the new thread, that's fine too -- you won't have to wait long!

Speaking of photos, I can neither confirm nor deny;);) but... there is a slight chance I may resume some semblance of a Theme Week Countdown in this thread -- or, rather, in the new Halloween Superthread. I tried it a couple of years ago, and I really found that the Countdown works better for the holiday season because there are more themes to help us count down, and therefore more opportunities for people to participate. But I have been thinking about bringing it back to the Halloween Superthread as a sort of mini-Countdown, without the whole 'gift card giveaway' that accompanies the Christmas Superthread's Countdown!

And a special hello to my Christmas Superthread peeps who made their way over here, such as KCmike, lucysmom and aidensmom31!

I just wanted to pop in and remind you that a new and improved Halloween Superthread is coming very, very soon. I have not abandoned it -- this thread and the Christmas Superthread are like my children, and I wouldn't abandon my children (after spending so many years raising and nurturing them!!:rotfl2:)!!

I had already been thinking that I was going to start the new Halloween thread in (approximately) a week or two, one way or another, but when I saw DenaRox's great October check-in thread I thought I'd better let everyone know that we are still in business here as a one-stop shop for discussion on all things Halloween Time at DLR, including breaking news, etc.!

I am past the technical/PC issues now, so I am plowing full steam ahead in assembling the info I have planned for page 1 of the new, bigger/better Halloween Time Superthread. The Christmas Superthread is a much larger undertaking and more extensive, so I have been trying to get some of it done before moving over to this thread -- which will not be quite as involved and extensive. I will have a page 1 layout similar (though not exact) to the Christmas Superthread in the new Halloween Time Superthread, with different categories for the posts.

I know that Kilala and figment_jii have photos to share (as we wait for 2014 Halloween Time information to come in). I was afraid that if they posted now their photos would get buried at the end of this thread right before we move to the new one, but it's up to them -- if Kilala and figment_jii want to post photos now, please feel free! If you want to wait for the new thread, that's fine too -- you won't have to wait long!

Speaking of photos, I can neither confirm nor deny;);) but... there is a slight chance I may resume some semblance of a Theme Week Countdown in this thread -- or, rather, in the new Halloween Superthread. I tried it a couple of years ago, and I really found that the Countdown works better for the holiday season because there are more themes to help us count down, and therefore more opportunities for people to participate. But I have been thinking about bringing it back to the Halloween Superthread as a sort of mini-Countdown, without the whole 'gift card giveaway' that accompanies the Christmas Superthread's Countdown!

SO EXCITED!!! As mentioned in previous posts, this last year was my first Halloween party and I absolutely loved it! Probably going at least twice this year :) Once for sure with my little sister who will be dressing as Anna and I will be going as Elsa. I am super excited! EEEEEP! I love spending the Holidays at Disneyland :love:! Halloween happens to be one of my favorites because it's also my birthday. Teehee! Can't wait for the new thread!

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HARD WORK YOU DO! :yay:

Hey Sherry
I will wait untill you get a new thread going to post any pictures. I have been waiting this long so I can wait until you post the new thread. I will also post pictures of my costume progress of this years new costumes for MHP. I will also post what I will be dressing up as this year. I know I'm going at least 3 times this year. If I can go a 4th time I will.

I am past the technical/PC issues now, so I am plowing full steam ahead in assembling the info I have planned for page 1 of the new, bigger/better Halloween Time Superthread.

Hiya Sherry! :wave: I'm glad to hear that you're over your PC/Technical issues; hopefully your PC will be happy for a long time now! :)

Like Kilala, I'll wait for the new thread to start and then I'll finish up posting the HMH 2013 photos (maybe I'll do a mini-recap of my favorite photos and parts that I already posted on the old thread). I can't wait to start talking about Halloween 2014! :woohoo:

I will keep my eye out for the countdown. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my Disneyland fix this October. Thanks Sherry E for all that you do on the Disboards!

Hi Sherry!!!! I can't wait to see your new thread and follow along. You always have such great information and a lay out that is easy to navigate. I really do hope you do a count down for Halloween. PS : formally Pinup Mommy :-)

Hello, rosanab1031, Kilala, figment_jii, KCmike and...Vintage Mouseketeer (???when did the name change happen? I'm glad you told me who you are!:rotfl2:)! Thanks, everyone, for sticking with me here and for the kind words!:grouphug::goodvibes

I had to quickly touch base -- I just got back from DLR. (And it was way too hot for me!:faint:) You know I love me some holidays, and Easter is no exception! Liza/funatdisney and I headed out to see the springtime festivities and embark upon the egg hunt in Disneyland, as well as the egg hunt in California Adventure! So much fun!:thumbsup2 We found all 24 eggs (12 per park) and collected our "surprises" at the end.

I fell in love with the "egg characters" at the Springtime Roundup! Soooooo cute! They weren't made of real eggs, thankfully, or that would have been rather smelly on a hot day such as today. :scared:

But the reason I bring up the egg characters in the Halloween Time thread is because one of the egg artists is also one of the pumpkin carving experts who creates such wonderful masterpieces for Halloween Time (at the Halloween Carnival, a.k.a. Roundup a.k.a. Ranch)! :dancer: You know that the eggs are cute -- fake or not -- if one of the great pumpkin artists is creating them! He is a talented CM, for sure.

Anyway, today's heat made me realize that I can't wait for autumn to get here!:rotfl2: We just barely started spring and I am ready for fall!

I had to quickly touch base -- I just got back from DLR...But the reason I bring up the egg characters in the Halloween Time thread is because one of the egg artists is also one of the pumpkin carving experts who creates such wonderful masterpieces for Halloween Time! :dancer: You know that the eggs are cute -- fake or not -- if one of the great pumpkin artists is carving them! He is a talented CM, for sure.

Cool! I wish I lived close enough to head down to DLR for all of the holidays to see the decorations and events. I've seen some photos of the eggs at Big Thunder Ranch and they look awesome.

I remember chatting with one of the pumpkin carvers and they did mention that they do all sorts of art work for Disneyland, so they never know what they'll be asked to do next!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...at-the-springtime-roundup-at-disneyland-park/
http://disneygeek.com/disneyland/pictures/2014/04/11/12

I admit I cheated and looked up the egg-hunt update on DisneyGeek.com (it's not like I was going to get to DLR for Easter, :lmao:). Those eggs are pretty cute. Which was the hardest to find?

Cool! I wish I lived close enough to head down to DLR for all of the holidays to see the decorations and events. I've seen some photos of the eggs at Big Thunder Ranch and they look awesome.

I remember chatting with one of the pumpkin carvers and they did mention that they do all sorts of art work for Disneyland, so they never know what they'll be asked to do next!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...at-the-springtime-roundup-at-disneyland-park/
http://disneygeek.com/disneyland/pictures/2014/04/11/12

I admit I cheated and looked up the egg-hunt update on DisneyGeek.com (it's not like I was going to get to DLR for Easter, :lmao:). Those eggs are pretty cute. Which was the hardest to find?

On the Easter egg hunt I think that, in general, the eggs in DCA were a little bit easier to find. Most of them were easy to spot right away, with the exception of perhaps the one in Pacific Wharf. Some of them were located way up high and very distant -- such as the one at the Little Mermaid ride (and the character egg that we found there did not look like the character it was supposed to be).

The Disneyland eggs were slightly trickier to find, and we had to look up and down for them. The one by IASW we actually missed the first time around and then went back to find it after a grinning CM told us we were way off base.:rotfl2: I think the very first egg we looked for in Disneyland was the one that took the longest to find -- the one labeled "Main Street flower box" on the map.

I actually wish DLR would get a little more clever with where they hide the eggs, and make them harder to find -- at least some of them. But kids have to be able to find them so they can't be too hidden, I suppose.

Some of the small egg characters at the Roundup were out on the counter, on display. Some were in a display case behind one of the artists, who kindly opened up the doors of the case so I could take pictures of the eggs on the shelves without chicken wire in the way.

I also love the large, fun, heart-shaped flower wreath that greets visitors at the Roundup -- sort of where the ticket-taking pumpkin in the booth was stationed last year for Halloween Time.

A lot of the décor had little carrots, bunnies or eggs woven into it. Roger Rabbit, the Easter Bunny, Minnie (in a Spring dress) and Pluto (in rabbit ears) were all greeting guests. It was a lot of fun.

I totally missed taking photos of any Easter treats because I was so caught up in my egg adventures, but I thought, "Figment_jii will get pictures of the Easter treats for sure" -- and now I find out you're not going to DLR for the Easter fun!:rotfl2:

Anyway, I like that DLR is building up another holiday and adding in some fun things -- even if only for a short time. Those maps/egg hunts were popular -- we saw people carrying them around everywhere we went.

Sherry!!!

I am thrilled to hear you are over your computer issues!!

Sherry!!!

I am thrilled to hear you are over your computer issues!!

Hi, Michele!:wave:

Thank you! Yes, it is true! You are one of the people on this board who knows how long I have been struggling with that horrible soul-crushing beast of a PC, as you followed my former TR and know what a nightmare it was as it crashed, froze up and just acted generally unbearable. It is now no longer a factor, and the new system is set up. I am free from that misery and torment, and can get back to updating my Superthreads!:rotfl2:

Anyway, I am trying to load my DLR Easter pictures to Photobucket right now, and I see that it hasn't sped up at all -- even on the new PC. Photobucket is just slow no matter how you slice it, I guess. But at least I can open up a new window and type in this thread while Photobucket is slugging through the laborious process of loading my egg pictures!:lmao: On the old PC I would not have been able to open up a new window while the other window was busy, as it would have frozen up the entire PC.

Hi, Michele!:wave:

Thank you! Yes, it is true! You are one of the people on this board who knows how long I have been struggling with that horrible soul-crushing beast of a PC, as you followed my former TR and know what a nightmare it was as it crashed, froze up and just acted generally unbearable. It is now no longer a factor, and the new system is set up. I am free from that misery and torment, and can get back to updating my Superthreads!:rotfl2:

Anyway, I am trying to load my DLR Easter pictures to Photobucket right now, and I see that it hasn't sped up at all -- even on the new PC. Photobucket is just slow no matter how you slice it, I guess. But at least I can open up a new window and type in this thread while Photobucket is slugging through the laborious process of loading my egg pictures!:lmao: On the old PC I would not have been able to open up a new window while the other window was busy, as it would have frozen up the entire PC.

Sherry, I was so excited to see you on here! Of course I haven't been around much on here lately but.... I fully intend to change that.

Can't wait to see how wonderful this thread becomes! The Christmas thread was invaluable for our trip last year. Thank you Sherry for keeping us up to date!

Sherry E

Your endeavor is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

My (DGD-16) had such a fine time with me last year, I've asked her to join me again this year. We are waiting impatiently until tickets go on sale.

Thanks again.

Geemo

:wave: Coming over from the holiday thread because we decided earlier this week to get the most out of our APs and do Halloweentime again! We'll be going down Oct 16-19, probably staying at PPH, but that hasn't been set in stone yet. Hoping the Halloween parties will still include Fridays - and we'll be celebrating DD2's 9th birthday which is that weekend! So excited!!!

Sherry, I was so excited to see you on here! Of course I haven't been around much on here lately but.... I fully intend to change that.

Michele --

Sometimes real life gets in the way of DIS time, doesn't it?

Can't wait to see how wonderful this thread becomes! The Christmas thread was invaluable for our trip last year. Thank you Sherry for keeping us up to date!

Autty40 -

I remember when you went to DLR in sort of early/mid-November last year! So you've got a second Halloween Time trip coming up this year?

Thank you for the kind words. I am hoping the new and improved Halloween Superthread will be more informative, more helpful, etc. Of course, it won't be on quite the scale of the Christmas Superthread because the Halloween Time season is not as big of an event as the holiday season is, despite the fact that it lasts a good 1.5 months. So there will be some categories and posts that I can leave off of the new page 1 (when I begin that thread), whereas the holiday season seems to be growing.

Sherry E

Your endeavor is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

My (DGD-16) had such a fine time with me last year, I've asked her to join me again this year. We are waiting impatiently until tickets go on sale.

Thanks again.

Geemo

Geemo --

Ah yes, the dreaded wait for the MHP dates to first be announced, and then for the tickets to go on sale. It seems to be such an unnecessary wait, too, as I'm sure the Disneyland entertainment/planning geniuses have already mapped out all the details of the MHP and are just holding on to them.

Thank you very much for the kind words! I love Halloween Time and the holiday season, and I saw several years ago that it was necessary to have Superthreads devoted to each season as they grew more popular. The interesting thing is that, in the old days of the first Halloween Superthread that I started, certain things did not really seem necessary to include on page 1. It seemed like only certain bits of info were necessary to get it up and running and that the thread could kind of coast along after that.

However, over the last few years, as Halloween Time seems to be getting more and more popular as a general season (a lot of people who are DLR holiday vets are, perhaps, seeking out alternate times to visit DLR and Halloween Time may be a bit more of a novelty to them), more and more people are asking questions about it and looking into Halloween trips.

Now, people are looking for certain bits of info that they didn't care as much about in the old days. If the info is not there on page 1, people complain. If it IS there on page 1, it will usually get ignored or overlooked!:rotfl2: It's sort of a no-win situation!:rotfl2: But I finally decided that it is better to have a lot of info there than to not have it, because there are lurkers out there who will need it and use it.

By the way, your thread from last year -- the one that was specifically about monitoring the MHP dates as they sold out -- is going to be one of the links I include in the new Halloween Superthread, on page 1 (probably in the MHP section)!! I've had that thread link saved in a Word file since last year, specifically intended for the purposes of including it in the next Superthread! I think it is very interesting to kind of observe how quickly or slowly the dates were selling out, and how far along in the Halloween Time season they began selling out.

figment_jii's great comparison of MNSSHP vs. MHP is a link I will also be including in the new thread -- I think a lot of our WDW vets heading to DLR's Halloween Time for the first time will find it very helpful!

:wave: Coming over from the holiday thread because we decided earlier this week to get the most out of our APs and do Halloweentime again! We'll be going down Oct 16-19, probably staying at PPH, but that hasn't been set in stone yet. Hoping the Halloween parties will still include Fridays - and we'll be celebrating DD2's 9th birthday which is that weekend! So excited!!!

Well, howdy, Jamie!

Side note -- I thought of you the other day. I was at the Springtime Roundup in DLR, and I noticed the seasonal cotton candy -- which, for Spring/Easter, is sort of pastel-colored instead of straight pink. If it had a seasonal flavor, I wonder what it could be. Jelly bean, perhaps??:rotfl2: But, alas, instantly I remembered that you told me that the cotton candy at the Roundup is not flavored to its theme, so I was not fooled by the pretty colors!:rotfl2:

I am certain that the MHP will still include Fridays, so I think you will be in luck. The main thing I wonder is how many party nights there will be this year? Last year there were 13. Prior to that there have been 11 nights and 10 nights.

If I am not mistaken, this year Halloween falls on a Friday (so there is an MHP night right there). I have been saying for a few years that at some point I want to do the MHP on Halloween night. Friday is a good night to try it out. This might be the year that I do a Halloween night MHP. I have to do it while I am still young enough (cough cough) and mobile enough to enjoy it, and can get around the parks with ease! A few years from now, if I wait for the next Friday night Halloween, I might not be able to move!

Jamie, I'm excited for you that (it seems) you have got 3 DLR trips coming up -- correct? You've got your June trip (that's when the Roundup will probably have "patriotic-colored" cotton candy!), your November/pre-Thanksgiving trip and now October too!

If the info is not there on page 1, people complain. If it IS there on page 1, it will usually get ignored or overlooked!:rotfl2: It's sort of a no-win situation!:rotfl2:
:rotfl2: At least if it's on page 1, we can point to it! :)

figment_jii's great comparison of MNSSHP vs. MHP is a link I will also be including in the new thread -- I think a lot of our WDW vets heading to DLR's Halloween Time for the first time will find it very helpful!
Thanks! I'm very hopeful that I'll be heading to WDW this Halloween and getting down to DLR for HalloweenTime as well. If that does happen, I'll update the comparison between MHP and MNSSHP! :)

:rotfl2: At least if it's on page 1, we can point to it! :)

Thanks! I'm very hopeful that I'll be heading to WDW this Halloween and getting down to DLR for HalloweenTime as well. If that does happen, I'll update the comparison between MHP and MNSSHP! :)

You're welcome, figment_jii!

Exactly -- it's better to at least have a bit of categorized info (with at least a few relevant links to articles/threads/blogs) that is easy to sift through on page 1, even if it gets overlooked. That way it is easy to point people to it or link out specific individual posts that will be helpful to them.

As someone who has never been to WDW and may never get there for their version of Halloween (which isn't even called "HalloweenTime" at WDW, is it?), I am always very curious to read about the differences and similarities both in the overall décor/atmosphere and in the parties.

One of these days DLR may switch up our MHP and throw a full-blown parade into it instead of the Cavalcade. Or they could get around to moving the party back to DCA at some point, since they seem to be trying to incorporate DCA into festive occasions a lot more nowadays. They could at least do something interesting in DCA, like putting more touches of Halloween back in that park.

One thing that stood out to me a few days ago was the lack of Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Springtime Roundup. I was never an avid Billy fan, but I enjoyed their energetic themed music as a backdrop at the Halloween Carnival or the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, as I made my way through the area to look around. Now that they are gone I wonder what the music will be (and who will be playing it?) at the Carnival this year? Will a new band be singing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter