Fears about the Hollywood Studios announcement

LittleDreamer

Mouseketeer
As the D23 expo nears my optimism and hope is giving way to some fear and doubt in regards to the Hollywood Studios expansion.

The first of my fears is that we are going to see transplants from other parks instead of original rides. This is a strange fear considering any possible Star Wars attractions should be original. Pixar is where I'm scared. Aside from Radiator Springs Racer I don't think Disney has had much success with Pixar rides. The Bugs land in California and the Toy Story section in Paris both have nicely themed off the shelf rides but still feel off the shelf. One of the strength of Disney is not that they create something new but that they create things that feel unique.

I also think Disney Corporate is more comfortable reusing rides in WDW then they are in other parks.

My second fear is that Star Wars and Pixar might pigeonhole the park. If one side is dominated by Pixar and the other side by Star Wars it leaves little room for other properties to fit in. Luckily, Pixar is an ever expanding group of movies but the side of the park that Pixar is expected to go on is the one with the least amount of space to expand in the future. One of the great things about Hollywood Studios was the variety of attractions that could fit into the park. Rock N' Roller and Tower of Terror never seemed to break the feel of the park; despite being so different yet right next door to each other. Investing, probably, over 60% of the land into these two IPs (and with Hollywood Boulevard unlikely to change) it will be interesting to see if room is left for future changes.

I know that these are just some jitters before the expected announcement but Imagineering don't fail me now.

Out of everything, the biggest thing I have "jitters" about is the timeline. Whatever is going to happen, needs to happen and be completed quickly. I want to start seeing new rides and attractions available in early 2017.

I wouldn't expect any major rides within that timeframe. The TSMM expansion should be done by then. They haven't even started anything else, and early 2017 is only a year and a half away. I think stuff will be phase in, so maybe some simpler things (what I don't know) will come in first. I would expect 2020/21 so as not to be very disappointed.

DHS is kind of getting so bad now, that I don't know if it could get worse. I am very optimistic about the possible changes, maybe not the announcement though. They may not announce squat. Anything they do is probably better than what's there now or will be there once all of the announced and rumored closures take effect.

Well, remember that there are some good Pixar attractions that are not in the off the shelf category. Monsters Inc. has two versions, one at DCA and another in Tokyo, though the latter is not very likely since it's very similar to Buzz and TSMM, and you also have Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille, both very popular rides in Paris, and of course, you have RSR at DCA. Can't say I wouldn't appreciate an original ride (possibly themed to the Incredibles), but there are some quite good Pixar attractions out there.

As for DHS being basically Pixar/Star Wars park, I think it will focus more on franchises and brands rather than just Pixar and Star Wars. I think Indiana Jones will still have some presence at the park, as well as Walt Disney Animation Studios. Brands and franchises seem to be Iger's strenght.

I don't know, with the muppets making a comeback of sorts in recent years (especially with a new tv show in the fall), surely Disney would want to keep them around! You'd think, anyway.

Granted, I do think the current attraction is a bit tired if you've seen it a lot, but it's still cute and entertaining, and I always welcome a cool place to sit!

I just hope the upgrade is like DCA 2.0... 2.0. An expansion even huger then DCA 2.0. So, a lot of new e-tickets and new themed areas. Honestly, something on the DCA level would be too small for what DHS needs. So if DCA got 5 rides with 1 billion dollars... maybe DHS can get 10 with 2 billion? Or 15 with 3 billion? Idk how budgeting works, so I assume that won't happen.

I think they're going to reuse ideas from Shanghai Disney. Which maybe won't be a bad thing considering how gaga they seem to be over the attractions there.

Out of everything, the biggest thing I have "jitters" about is the timeline. Whatever is going to happen, needs to happen and be completed quickly. I want to start seeing new rides and attractions available in early 2017.
I'd think we possibly could see something by 2017 but it won't be much. I'd expect a good majority of Pixar done in 2018-19. Then Star Wars completed in 2020-21.

Like others here have stated I am afraid they are going to try to do a cheap up grade. Please Disney take the time and effort to wow me with Star Wars.
It's very possible the cheap part is Pixar. It's Star Wars where they should blow away. The board has turned down the first Star Wars proposal because it wasn't very good.

I just hope the upgrade is like DCA 2.0... 2.0. An expansion even huger then DCA 2.0. So, a lot of new e-tickets and new themed areas. Honestly, something on the DCA level would be too small for what DHS needs. So if DCA got 5 rides with 1 billion dollars... maybe DHS can get 10 with 2 billion? Or 15 with 3 billion? Idk how budgeting works, so I assume that won't happen.
You know I actually think there will be a good amount of c and d attractions because that is what DHS lacks greatly. They have TSMM, ToT, RnRc, and Star tours as big headliners. I'd expect an e ticket from Star Wars but I'm not so sure about Pixar. DCA got 4 rides (3 cars rides, and little mermaid) TSMM was actually not part of the 1.1 billion. DHS is getting 2.8 billion total but you have to remember infrastructure improvements are in that budget as well so new parking garages and entrances etc.

You know I actually think there will be a good amount of c and d attractions because that is what DHS lacks greatly. They have TSMM, ToT, RnRc, and Star tours as big headliners. I'd expect an e ticket from Star Wars but I'm not so sure about Pixar. DCA got 4 rides (3 cars rides, and little mermaid) TSMM was actually not part of the 1.1 billion. DHS is getting 2.8 billion total but you have to remember infrastructure improvements are in that budget as well so new parking garages and entrances etc.
Ah, makes sense. You do have a point about smaller attractions, though. While I still hope for at least 1-2 Pixar e-tickets and a big Star Wars e-ticket, DHS does need a few more family flat rides and dark rides, and those probably wouldn't be as expensive. So... is it possible that we get both Toy Story Playland flat rides and a larger scale Cars Land/Monstropolis/Incredibles/whatever for Pixar Place?

Ah, makes sense. You do have a point about smaller attractions, though. While I still hope for at least 1-2 Pixar e-tickets and a big Star Wars e-ticket, DHS does need a few more family flat rides and dark rides, and those probably wouldn't be as expensive. So... is it possible that we get both Toy Story Playland flat rides and a larger scale Cars Land/Monstropolis/Incredibles/whatever for Pixar Place?
It's possible but of course we don't know for sure until it's announced.

I'm tired of the Muppets show but losing them would be a big blow. I hope that they will keep them around but now I'm worried too.

I think whether or not we will lose the Muppets might depend on how the new Muppet Show that's coming to ABC in the fall does. I would love to see a Muppets themed restaurant where you could peek into the "kitchen" and see Rizzo the rat's friends cooking, like in The Muppets Take Manhattan.

I think whether or not we will lose the Muppets might depend on how the new Muppet Show that's coming to ABC in the fall does. I would love to see a Muppets themed restaurant where you could peek into the "kitchen" and see Rizzo the rat's friends cooking, like in The Muppets Take Manhattan.
I'd love a Muppets dining spot near MuppetVision. It could even be themed to the Swedish chef.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!