Fears about the Hollywood Studios announcement

I don't see the benefit to Disney of making an announcement of Star Wars Land - and then taking 5-6 years to build it. Isn't that going to hurt their bottom line in the near term? Aren't people going to say..."Holy Cow, Star Wars! It's time for my every 10 year trip to DisneyWorld! Wait, it won't be open until 2020. I guess we're not going for another 5 years!"

I don't see the benefit to Disney of making an announcement of Star Wars Land - and then taking 5-6 years to build it. Isn't that going to hurt their bottom line in the near term? Aren't people going to say..."Holy Cow, Star Wars! It's time for my every 10 year trip to DisneyWorld! Wait, it won't be open until 2020. I guess we're not going for another 5 years!"

No, more like it gets them lots of free publicity in national outlets causing people to look and see what else Disney is doing. Maybe they say "Seasons of the Force, that sounds interesting?"

It's really cheap and easy publicity for them and it won't turn anyone away who wasn't already avoiding going.

It lets people who complain about the state of the parks know that they have been heard. And free positive press of course.

Well they did it with avatar. Announced 2011 opening 2017 six years later...

Well they did it with avatar. Announced 2011 opening 2017 six years later...

Yeah, but who's saying "OH BOY AVATAR!!! MY FAVORITE!!!"

But of course you are right - it's Disney's policy to move slow. Which is why I said it was not unexpected.

Yeah, but who's saying "OH BOY AVATAR!!! MY FAVORITE!!!"

But of course you are right - it's Disney's policy to move slow. Which is why I said it was not unexpected.
I am actually VERY excited about Avatar. We are planning our giant family trip for early 2018 specifically to go to Avatar. My sister and I always said we wanted to go to Pandora and now we can!

I have sort of a bizarre "fear" not directly related to the construction itself. After the announcement, I saw loads of social media sharing among people in my circle who aren't even remotely "Disney" people (you know the kind - those people who ask in disbelief, "You're going there again?! Didn't you just go last year?! Why?!) - which is fantastic, and precisely the point of a refresh: to bring in new consumers! But if everything planned indeed meets and/or surpasses expectations, and DHS becomes the new "must do," what does this mean for the Epcot area resorts? Will they build more to accommodate the crowds? Prices at YC/BC/BWI will likely go up to the levels of Poly/CR/GF or even higher!

I have a little problem with the Slinky Dog Coaster; it might destroy the "magic". Since Slinky is the ride car there is a high probability that you will end up seeing multiple Slinky Dogs. Due to the sunken tracks and such they might work around this but even in the concept art you see two slinkies. Granted he's not as important as other characters but we are still probably going to be seeing two of one character.

I have a little problem with the Slinky Dog Coaster; it might destroy the "magic". Since Slinky is the ride car there is a high probability that you will end up seeing multiple Slinky Dogs. Due to the sunken tracks and such they might work around this but even in the concept art you see two slinkies. Granted he's not as important as other characters but we are still probably going to be seeing two of one character.

The great thing with toys is there is more than 1! They will say something about the fact that Andy went out and bought more Slinky Dogs to use for his awesome roller coaster. It is the same thing they did with Lotso. CMs use to tell little kids the Lotso they were meeting was his friendly cousin fresh from the box not the evil Lotso in the movie if they were scared.

I understand your point, but we're all pretty okay with all the Dumbos.

I understand your point, but we're all pretty okay with all the Dumbos.

I couldn't remember the reason behind this that I forgot, thankfully Wiki had the answer on hand:

The original design of the attraction had ten ride vehicles which were intended to represent not the "one and only" Dumbo, but the alcohol-induced "pink elephants" scene from the film. In fact, the working title of the attraction was "10 Pink Elephants On Parade" and the elephants were painted pink on installation. Walt Disney objected, not wishing Disneyland's guests to ride vehicles themed to an alcohol-induced hallucination and thereby ordered them painted grey.

Though this seems to be speculation by authors Bruce Gordon and David Mumford, base on original ride sketch work showing pink elephants.

I couldn't remember the reason behind this that I forgot, thankfully Wiki had the answer on hand:

Though this seems to be speculation by authors Bruce Gordon and David Mumford, base on original ride sketch work showing pink elephants.

I heard they were going to paint the Slinky Dogs pink. :rotfl2:

I heard about this thread on the Dis podcast and I had to chime in.

I apologize if some of this has already been addressed...

My memories of an early DHS, back in the MGM days... was that it had the feel of being a real live studio/theme park. Forgive me for forgetting the name of most of these attractions, but they had the store on Hollywood Blvd with the show in the back. They'd pick kids from the audience and dress them up and you'd act out a scene. I remember the one I did, the characters were Trixie and Bubbles lol. This was 1990, and I STILL have that memory.

They also had the sound stage where you'd see how they did the sound effects. And there was another audience participation one, with Gilligan's Island and a few other old shows they'd sub you in in front of a green screen. And of course, the Backlot Tour (and the old school mickey mouse club).

I digress. This park has totally lost it's identity. If it wants the feel of bringing people into the movies/TV shows, you need more attractions that do that. Star Wars and Pixar are great additions, but what about the rest of the park? What are they going to do to make you feel like a part of the show?

You're joking, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter