Disney possibly eliminating the filets

This is all so very uncool. Right now we have the DDP for our trip next year. However, if I can't get a steak anywhere, I'm definitely ditching the DDP and just paying OOP. I was especially upset about Kona dropping the fillet.

I wish I knew if this was just a temporary thing during free dining or if it's permanent. I hope it's just a temporary thing.

What a ridiuclous way to conduct business... Disney has done some strange things in the past, but this takes the cake (or steak, really).

I agree.

I know the economy is bad right now, but at Disney the hotels are full and business is bustling.

Make a separate menu, take fillets off of the DDP, but don't eliminate them altogether, that makes no sense at all.

Next thing you know, they'll be charging extra for ketchup

I'd suggest you head over to The Dolphin and eat at Shulla's or bluezoo, and patronize a corporation that's hasn't lost their minds to pure greed.

Whew! I think my crisis has been averted. I called just now and got the Yachtsman Steakhouse for 7:25. It's our last night so I don't mind eating a tiny bit later than usual. Make the magic last a bit longer! It was a shocker for me really. I thought they would either be full or only have late night availability. DH will have a few beef selections to choose from. Unless Disney decides to totally do away with beef. (DH) :mad: (Me):scared:

But are they offering filet?

Are Filets the only items being deleted? I know that I'm a dissenting opinion, but I really don't care for filet. I've always preferred a ribeye, NY strip or porter house to filet. I'm worried that all steaks and high value items will be gone by the time of our trip on 9/7. We've got adrs at Jiko, Narcoossies and CG and will be really burned if our $800 dxddp gets turned into the "disney chicken breast and pasta dining plan".

Its not just about filet for us but if it becomes no filet, no steak, no lobster, no scallops and no fish other than salmon then what's left. I fear that's where this is headed. I'm wondering if we should drop the plan entirely, which is too bad because we didn't choose the plan to save money or "get over" on disney.

I wanted to use the dxddp as insurance against ourselves (we are practical and disciplined in our spending and diet) and force the luxury of each getting an app. and a dessert on ourselves because we rarely opt for both. Should I cancel the plan or go forward in the hopes that the filet is the only casualty?:confused3

Does anybody know an attorney with class action experience? The more I think about it the fishier the timing of these changes in conjunction with *free* dining becomes. Even though we are paying for our dxddp out of pocket I can see where people who booked free dining packages would feel defrauded. Disney offered a contact that said in exchange for booking one of these packages that you will be able to eat (X) meals at your choice of (Y) restaurants and what these meals will include.

Disney is not stupid and has covered their bases in the DDP brochure by adding the "subject to change without notice" clause in the fine print. However such disclaimers can be negated if malfeasance is proven.
:teacher:

its free if they want to stop they can...i wouldent complain or hell they will take it all away....haha

its free if they want to stop they can...i wouldent complain or hell they will take it all away....haha

Take it away! I used to PAY for the dining plan but it's gone downhill so much it's no longer worth paying for. Sadly, I want to PAY (OOP) for filets but apparently no longer can.

Why didn't they just skip the dining plan and let people pay OOP for the foods they WANT?! :sad2:

Take it away! I used to PAY for the dining plan but it's gone downhill so much it's no longer worth paying for. Sadly, I want to PAY (OOP) for filets but apparently no longer can.

Why didn't they just skip the dining plan and let people pay OOP for the foods they WANT?! :sad2:

ITA! This dining plan has been a thorn in my side since its inception. We pay OOP and use the DDE card. If removing the filets isn't related to the DDP, then I'd love to know what the motivation behind that move was.

Does anybody know an attorney with class action experience? The more I think about it the fishier the timing of these changes in conjunction with *free* dining becomes. Even though we are paying for our dxddp out of pocket I can see where people who booked free dining packages would feel defrauded. Disney offered a contact that said in exchange for booking one of these packages that you will be able to eat (X) meals at your choice of (Y) restaurants and what these meals will include.

Disney is not stupid and has covered their bases in the DDP brochure by adding the "subject to change without notice" clause in the fine print. However such disclaimers can be negated if malfeasance is proven.
:teacher:

Perhaps (big perhaps) if the filets, etc returned to the menu following the close of the free dining period (even that would probably be a stretch, though). As long as they remain off of the menu, however, I don't see where there would be any cause for suit. If it was going to change, it would have to change sometime.

This is not to say that I disagree. I think the timing was planned in advance. I also think this is a foolish move on the part of Disney. I agree with what others have posted before: instead of limiting and homoginizing all menus in general, create a seperate menu for the dining plan (if you must) that is limited, leaving the main menu avalible for all of those who do not utilize the dining plan.

Bad move, Disney! :mad:

ITA! This dining plan has been a thorn in my side since its inception. We pay OOP and use the DDE card. If removing the filets isn't related to the DDP, then I'd love to know what the motivation behind that move was.

"Customer demand" I'm sure :rolleyes:

"Customer demand" I'm sure :rolleyes:

You really think customer demand caused them to take the filets OFF? Perhaps its just my observation, but those filets sure seemed pretty popular any time we were dining in Disney.

You really think customer demand caused them to take the filets OFF? Perhaps its just my observation, but those filets sure seemed pretty popular any time we were dining in Disney.

It was sarcasm, hence the eyeroll smilie ( :rolleyes: ) :goodvibes

Has this been confirmed, or is it a rumor? I don't recall what was said on the podcast. In any case, removing filets is the wrong thing to do, period. They should simply note on the menus items which can be had with the dining plan, or which items can not. I don't see the wisdom in Disney further degrading the quality/quantity of their food offerings to accomodate their dining plan.

Has this been confirmed, or is it a rumor? I don't recall what was said on the podcast. In any case, removing filets is the wrong thing to do, period. They should simply note on the menus items which can be had with the dining plan, or which items can not. I don't see the wisdom in Disney further degrading the quality/quantity of their food offerings to accomodate their dining plan.

It's real. Pete chimed in on page 4 of this thread with this...

It's not a rumor, it's already started happening. Brian Varley called me yesterday to tell me that the filet at Aritist Pointe was pulled. I've also heard that it's been pulled from the Kona Kafe menu as well.

What a shame.

Pete

GAH. Just sent off an e-mail to Disney.

Artist Pointe is a signature restaurant, isn't it? I had heard this might only be effecting non-Signature restaurants... guess it's resort-wide? Insane. Boo, Disney, boo!

I don't like them dumbing down the menu anywhere, but I especially don't like it at the Signatures. Maybe they need to remove the Signatures from the DDP.

Another option might be to offer a special DDP prix fixe menu, so they can leave higher priced menu items available for regular guests who want (and will pay) for more options.

GAH. Just sent off an e-mail to Disney.

Artist Pointe is a signature restaurant, isn't it? I had heard this might only be effecting non-Signature restaurants... guess it's resort-wide? Insane. Boo, Disney, boo!

:thumbsup2 That is exactly what we need to do, start sending e-mails to Disney!

This is a foolish move. Are they trying to tell their repeat travelers to stay away? We have not added on a DP since about 1992, when they had silver, gold dining plans. After that they started having exclusions to the DP such as no lobster, etc. We knew that we didn't want our dining decisions to be controlled by someone else, hence we have not used the DP since. Now even the customer paying full price won't have high end options!? :confused: That is just insane. Who is doing there marketing research?!! Mickey Mouse!!!

Wanted to post that I just returned today and the filet is OFF of the menu at the Captain's Grill (YC). Also off the menu now is the entree of peel and eat shrimp at the WCC Cafe. (It is still on the skillet, but no longer an entree choice).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter