Disney possibly eliminating the filets

Oh good grief! I really can't stand the dining plan as I think it has really "dumbed down" the menus and resulted in much less variety and quality. I wish they would just restrict what is included on the DDP instead of limited the choices for everyone. We never use the dining plan (we use DDE instead), and this really frustrates me.

Where has everyone heard about this? This is the 1st time Im hearing about it. I hope they dont do away with the filets! Its the only reason why Im going to Jiko..to get the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon. If they are gonna remove it, they better do it either before I get there or after. I dont wanna get all the way to Jiko to learn they dont have it anymore. :mad:

Where has everyone heard about this? This is the 1st time Im hearing about it. I hope they dont do away with the filets! Its the only reason why Im going to Jiko..to get the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon. If they are gonna remove it, they better do it either before I get there or after. I dont wanna get all the way to Jiko to learn they dont have it anymore. :mad:

Pete made the distinction that this rumoured :-)wave: Hi UK DISers!!) change would not involve Disney's "signature" restaurants, of which I believe Jiko certainly would be one.

Ridiculous. My husband and I have never used the dining plan because we don't tend to eat our money's worth, but when we want to treat ourselves to a nice filet, vacation is a time to do it- would they really let the Dining plan ruin that!?!

Yeah, That! Exactly my point as well. DH almost always orders filets or steaks while I order their specialty. We'd off property more often if this went into effect.

Disney may be doing it for a second pre-emptive reason. Did anyone catch the story on Fox or CNN news about how bad the beef situation is in Texas and California? They say that cattle ranchers are selling off over half of their herds to pay for hay to feed the rest. The drought is so bad out there that there's no grass for the cows. So the market is fine now because the sold cows are flooding the market with beef but next year prices will soar when there's less beef going to the market.

The question is: are Disney people that smart to think so far ahead to remove the filet now before they double or triple in price?

Three words...Polar Bear Filet

It is speculation right now, but I was thinking, I wonder if they will just remove the filets during free dining? It just seems TOO ridiculous, even for Disney, to remove them permanantly.

If they do though I won't be happy. I don't eat seafood, so what does that leave me with? I like chicken, but not that much. And I also don't use the DDP. I pay OOP. We also don't go off property, so that really isnt a solution for us. One of the reasons I love going Disney is that I don't have to worry about a car, driving, directions and parking. I like my vacations to be as mindless as possible! :teeth:

ITA! I don't do seafood and chicken doesn't thrill me. I'm a hardcore meat eater and I live on those yummy filets while there. We don't do DDP, although we use our DDE. I hope this doesn't come to pass...I'll go into beef deprivation. :scared1:

They don't even need to print multiple menus...just have one menu with symbols next to each item to signify whether it's on the DDP or not. You know, the way some restaurants indicate their "healthier" options, etc.

That way, those who are using the dining plan will see how they are getting ripped off further! (I've used the DDP twice in the past. I just think it's value is becoming less clear for our family).

If it does come down to that (and if the rumored price increases materialize), then I won't even be considering the dining plan. We never tried to "get the most for our money" by only ordering expensive items, but we did order whatever seemed appetizing at the time, and I daresay that may have included a filet?! If the DDP becomes more restrictive its value has already diminished.

Rant over!

Pete made the distinction that this rumoured :-)wave: Hi UK DISers!!) change would not involve Disney's "signature" restaurants, of which I believe Jiko certainly would be one.

That's good to hear. I was wondering how places like Le Cellier and Yachtsmans Steak House would be affected.:thumbsup2

I hope they don't do this, obviously, but I really don't think they should do this during or because of free dining. The people who are lucky enough to be going during this time (not us :sad1: ) are expecting to be able to order great things off the menus, that is the point of trying so hard to be part of and excitement of free dining. Other than that, that is like all restaurants stopping serving anything but beef and nobody being able to choose chicken or seafood. :confused3

That's good to hear. I was wondering how places like Le Cellier and Yachtsmans Steak House would be affected.:thumbsup2

Yachtsmans Steak House is a signature restraurant, so not affected. I'll be curious to see how this turns out.

Or maybe they will change the type of restaurant it is. Instead of it being a steak house they will change it into something else. You never really can tell at this point. So many changes have been happening and are gonna happen, its a possibility.

IF they do this, I can see LeCellier becoming a signature Rest.

I have a feeling that this is a no win for Disney. If they just take the fillet off the menu as rumored a lot of people (like on this thread) will not like it and wish Disney would just limit the items that are available on DDP. I would bet a kidney that if they took that advise and made certain items not available on the DDP there will be a post that people want to eat anything off the menu and the DDP is limiting their choices. I personally don’t like the DDP and agree with those who think that the DDP has dumbed down the menus. I use neither the DDP not do I order filets at Disney so neither of these would effect me personally.

While no solution will please everybody I think the best option is to tweak the way that the DDP and DxDDP work. I would make the limited menu as suggested where the regular DDP can only order limited items. I would then price the DxDP a little higher and along with the current added benefits make it so the DxDP can order from the entire menu.

I hope they don't do this, obviously, but I really don't think they should do this during or because of free dining. The people who are lucky enough to be going during this time (not us :sad1: ) are expecting to be able to order great things off the menus, that is the point of trying so hard to be part of and excitement of free dining. Other than that, that is like all restaurants stopping serving anything but beef and nobody being able to choose chicken or seafood. :confused3

Well I don't want them doing it after free dining either. Last year I had the best filet I've ever had in my entire life at LeCellier...if they take filets off the menus, I won't be dining or staying on property anymore. I'll go back to staying offsite in MUCH CHEAPER resorts, renting a car and eating what/where I want.

To me, the attraction of staying onsite has as much to do with the options available to us (without having to leave the property) as it does convenience. Take away my beef, and I'm renting a condo near a steakhouse!

(Thank you for letting me vent...I get rather riled up when my beef is threatened!)

Sounds like Disney isn't going to be happy until the adult menu looks exactly like the kids menu.

p.s.
I won't need to grill-swap... just tell me when you're there and I'll travel at the same time and I'll pay you to grill for me!

I have a feeling that this is a no win for Disney. If they just take the fillet off the menu as rumored a lot of people (like on this thread) will not like it and wish Disney would just limit the items that are available on DDP. I would bet a kidney that if they took that advise and made certain items not available on the DDP there will be a post that people want to eat anything off the menu and the DDP is limiting their choices. I personally don’t like the DDP and agree with those who think that the DDP has dumbed down the menus. I use neither the DDP not do I order filets at Disney so neither of these would effect me personally.

While no solution will please everybody I think the best option is to tweak the way that the DDP and DxDDP work. I would make the limited menu as suggested where the regular DDP can only order limited items. I would then price the DxDP a little higher and along with the current added benefits make it so the DxDP can order from the entire menu.

i agree - limit the menu for the regular dining plan and have the full menu available for the deluxe plan and price it accordingly...

also, if the problem is free dining, then either get rid of free dining, or limit the menu available to free dining.....but don't punish the rest of the patrons because it's too expensive to have filet during free dining...

ITA! I don't do seafood and chicken doesn't thrill me. I'm a hardcore meat eater and I live on those yummy filets while there. We don't do DDP, although we use our DDE. I hope this doesn't come to pass...I'll go into beef deprivation. :scared1:

Me too!
I WILL NOT eat seafood and I really don't prefer chicken. I like my red meat a lot and it's not like I can't have any while there, I'll just be devistated if my favorite cut of meat is gone. Even at home about 90% of beef I buy is in the form filet mignon. :sad2: I guess I'll have to hit up signature Disney dining and Shula's a lot more if this is true.... which I'm sure is part of Disney's plan.

i agree - limit the menu for the regular dining plan and have the full menu available for the deluxe plan and price it accordingly...

also, if the problem is free dining, then either get rid of free dining, or limit the menu available to free dining.....but don't punish the rest of the patrons because it's too expensive to have filet during free dining...

I really don't agree that the problem is free dining. The main reason my family/friends and I make a trip in September is for free dining. Otherwise we wouldn't be going there spending about $10,000 like we did last trip with 5 people, this time it's 4 so it may be a little less.... they're smart- offer 14 days of free food which essentially isn't all that expensive for an extra $10,000 that we wouldn't have spent to begin with.
Don't get me wrong though, we don't go solely for the free dining in September, but the maybe- maybe not question of if we'll go in for another trip to Disney in the year is swayed because of the free dining. I am sure we're not the only ones also.

Anyone who has been inside a grocery store in the past two months can see that prices are rising, and they're rising everywhere. With that cuts need to be made and prices at restaurants are going to go up. It sucks but times change.

I understand why they would cut back on an expensive cut of meat. I don't think it's wise as I'm sure just about everyone here wouldn't mind paying an extra $2-5 for filets. But it's still not going to ruin my trip. Until they ban food completely from the parks- I will not let food be the part of a Disney trip that ever really angers me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter