ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

Ok, Mr. Technicality.

I have done that on many occasions. It is... disorienting.

and you call me Mr. Technicality. You've done it!

You're right, but they ARE due sometime in every country.

Are you sure? Every country?

• United Arab Emirates
  • Oman
  • Bahrain
  • Qatar
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Kuwait
  • Bermuda
  • Cayman Islands
  • The Bahamas
  • Brunei

Sure! Never had giraffe? :confused3

cousin%2Beddie%2Bneck.jpg

Apparently, it all comes down to length of description? Besides, laundry rooms are so darned intriguing. He was riveted!

Yup. He said as much.

It had to be pointed out to me. The CM was so excited about his job in the Lounge.
:)

I'm not really daunted or afraid at all. Very excited and anyone who's ever gone on a humanitarian trip or missions trip will tell you... YOU are the one forever changed. Gives a hefty dose of reality and very quickly. The whining and complaining become unbearable to hear when you come back.

Still... I don't think I could do it. :worship:

It was easy enough to grab a pastry and coffee, or tea, or cocoa and take it back for views like this:

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%206-2.jpg

That right there....that's my go-to Happy Place. Whenever I'm having a bad day or the kids are being absolute maniacs, I close my eyes and pretend I'm drinking a cup of coffee on a veranda at AKL. It's my zen place, and it's so great to see that you were able to experience it. With yummy concierge snacks to go with the drinks! :thumbsup2 Only Disney can give you that kind of graduation gift.:goodvibes

Where did you visit? Did you have to be quarantined when you returned? Or not in the Ebola Zone?

I think I mentioned this a long time ago? Back in college, I had a boyfriend who joined the Peace Corps, starting the same year I did my junior year abroad in Versailles. I visited him over winter break. First, I flew to Dakar, Senegal, and met up with him there. Then, we took a jitney cab to Banjul, The Gambia. Then, we went to the little village where he was actually living, in about the middle of the country. (The Gambia is basically one river plus the land on both sides - an English colony almost entirely surrounded by a French colony). Then, back to Dakar to fly back. This was way back before Ebola was a thing, so no quarantine. I did get a bunch of vaccinations before I went, however! The only one I remember off-hand is Gamma Gobulin, because it has such a funky name.

That's great and so nice to get that reaction from them. I really want to surprise my family like that sometime. I don't know when or what, but I'm determined to do it.

It was fun! And very worth it. Surprising with a deluxe is a great one to pull off. But what about water park tix? or a tour?

I can relate. The best we got was a free brownie sundae on my birthday in MK and a free chocolate ice cream "because the machine was about to run out anyway". Oh well, you take what you can get. But a room upgrade is obviously at the top of the list.

Free is free, and I'd not turn down a free anything. Except maybe a colonoscopy. (which reminds me....) But yeah, I'd agree, a room upgrade is WAY up there! Can't get much better than that except for maybe free dining for the duration of your trip.

I get it. Although I don't have a hater, DW is not quite as Disney as me. She enjoys it and looks forward to it, but doesn't have that extra "something" most of us DISers have. Just last week I was helping her plan (ie: doing it for her) her and DD's dance school trip in July. I had her scheduled for a full day at DHS, but she said she didn't know if she wanted a full day, since DD does not do roller coasters and neither of them are into Star Wars. I said that I assumed she would want to see Fantasmic in the night. She asked "have they changed it? I've seen it three times". So yeah, not a hater, but not quite a DISer.

Helping her plan.... :rotfl2: I've heard (and done) that one before.
"I'm going on a trip to Alaska with my dad, can you help me plan it?"

Translation: "I'm going on a trip to Alaska with my dad, please find us some RV parks, check flight prices, what tours there are..."

Now, regarding DHS- you know what? We stopped this last trip and watched the Streetmosphere skits for a LONG time (sorry, TR spoiler there) and had a BALL!! They are SO funny! I think I could spend a day there and do ok. FAR from my favorite park, but still plenty to do. One Man's dream, watching the Imperial March, having lunch at Prime Time or Sci-Fi, Streetmosphere....

Snack time all the time at Disney. I like that. I have the feeling that if I ever do pay to stay concierge, I may in fact get my money's worth just at the snack bar alone.

You know what, after this trip and getting a taste of Concierge, I can see myself at some point in the future getting the Concierge package at AKL, completely foregoing park tickets altogether and just doing a resort vacation. LOADS of pool time, CL Lounge time, room time, verandah time, you know....never leave.

I need to show my wife these pictures. She's convinced that if we stay at AKL, there will be lions climbing up the balcony trying to get in the room. And the place will smell like manure. :sad2:

We never ever smelled anything "bad" once. There is a pretty wide barrier between the resort building and the animal enclosure, so even if you were to drop something, there'd be 20 or 30 feet between yu and them.

That's fantastic on both fronts! Adventure is out there!

Indeed!

Hi
Well it certainly looks like your summer is being already mapped out ten weeks at school then after that is that when you are allowed to take to the sky's for your real flying lessons in an aircraft.Hopefully you will have your licence before moving to Africa. lodge looks a great place to relax and watch the animals go round its a pity that there is theme parks nearby to take you away from it.Great update with some nice photos to company it.

Hey Stuart,

It's certainly filling up! Lots on the calendar already including Ground School, a trip to the East Coast, camping, etc...

The Africa thing is a short term thing, so not really moving there. I think it'll be 2 week trips a few times a year, but the hard part is that there will be a mandatory quarantine for me after returning. My work says 21 days of no working. So, it'll be lost work. THe GOOD news is that a salary for me is written into the proposal, so that should help with the lost work time. And yes, if I have a pilot's license, I can possibly work on getting a plane for a our medical work.

As I was telling TNG up there, I can see myself doing a resort-only stay at AKL sometime. There truly is enough to do there and never get bored between the pool, the animals, the art, and the amazing restaurants there.

When we stayed Concierge our room was at the other end of the hotel so we never took the coffee back to the room, but you're right that view never gets old. I miss the AKL!

Yeah, that' be quite a long haul! It'd be cold by the time you got there! But, the in-room coffee is pretty decent if you wanted a lazy morning in the room on the veranda. I could sit there all day with a book, going back and forth from animals to story.

Huh. I've only done laundry in my Villa, so I have no idea about the shared laundry facilities.

They're comfy enough. I had heard a rumor that you could get a text when your loads are done, but could never figure out how to do that.

The Zawadi Marketplace is definitely a cool spot to shop!

For sure!! I love the drums and masks and other carved woods!

If you did, the Tequila helped me promptly forget.

:laughing:

You are certainly a kind soul. How nice of you. :goodvibes

Well, I love to travel and experience other cultures, so this seems a fitting way too do my part.

and you call me Mr. Technicality. You've done it!

It's not THAT bad.

Are you sure? Every country?

• United Arab Emirates
  • Oman
  • Bahrain
  • Qatar
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Kuwait
  • Bermuda
  • Cayman Islands
  • The Bahamas
  • Brunei

I have a sudden urge to move to Bermuda. Or the Caymans. The others not so much. Sharia Law seems horribly unappealing. Floggings just aren't my thing.

:lmao:

Still... I don't think I could do it. :worship:

I bet you could. It'd stretch you, but worth the reward.

I know I couldn't do it! I have trouble seeing all the homeless people and their encampments, here in our country.

There is certainly no lack of work to be done here at home, and we all have our parts to play in helping to alleviate suffering and hopelessness. Plenty of opportunity to make a difference wherever you are and feel called to. We started out in 1992 working with the homeless taking soup to the guys (usually Viet War Vets) living on the streets, covering them up with blankets as they slept, helping them with logistics and paperwork as they transitioned off the street into low-income housing, etc.... I'd have my infant in a backpack when we started and over time, my kids grew up vising roach-infested, puke-reeking apartments to have dinner (that we took) to our "family". When we were living in Kaz years later, we got a call one day that "Our Charlie" had passed away, and the directors wanted us to know that they found our family's photo in his wallet... .still after 15 years. Worth it? Oh heck yes!

That right there....that's my go-to Happy Place. Whenever I'm having a bad day or the kids are being absolute maniacs, I close my eyes and pretend I'm drinking a cup of coffee on a veranda at AKL. It's my zen place, and it's so great to see that you were able to experience it. With yummy concierge snacks to go with the drinks! :thumbsup2 Only Disney can give you that kind of graduation gift.:goodvibes

Pure bliss! And you're so right... only at Disney. I've done a fair amount of traveling, and nowhere comes even close. Not even Thailand's best resorts.

I think I mentioned this a long time ago? Back in college, I had a boyfriend who joined the Peace Corps, starting the same year I did my junior year abroad in Versailles. I visited him over winter break. First, I flew to Dakar, Senegal, and met up with him there. Then, we took a jitney cab to Banjul, The Gambia. Then, we went to the little village where he was actually living, in about the middle of the country. (The Gambia is basically one river plus the land on both sides - an English colony almost entirely surrounded by a French colony). Then, back to Dakar to fly back. This was way back before Ebola was a thing, so no quarantine. I did get a bunch of vaccinations before I went, however! The only one I remember off-hand is Gamma Gobulin, because it has such a funky name.

Ah.... Senegal. That was the country I THOUGHT we'd end up when we first decided to head to the mission field. Didn't work out, but I did a fair bit of studying up on it, and would have loved going there.

I'm not sure if we'll get to see The Gambia, since it's a bit further north than we'll be. I've heard our point of entry will be through Casablanca, so I doubt I'll get to see Senegal either. Regardless, I hope you got a TON of photos on top of your wonderful memories. What a neat adventure for you in college! I'll have to figure out which vaccines I'll need and start getting them. :( Not looking forward to that part.

I have a sudden urge to move to Bermuda. Or the Caymans. The others not so much. Sharia Law seems horribly unappealing. Floggings just aren't my thing.

Who'd a thunk that there are times when being taxed to death is the preferred method?

I bet you could. It'd stretch you, but worth the reward.

I honestly don't know. I honestly don't.

There is certainly no lack of work to be done here at home, and we all have our parts to play in helping to alleviate suffering and hopelessness. Plenty of opportunity to make a difference wherever you are and feel called to.

You are such a good person, that was a heartwarming story. I see them everywhere standing on street corners with signs. There is a guy who stands outside the post office where I drop off my eBay packages. He always opens the door for me. I say, "thank you" every time and I've given him some money a few times as he doesn't seem to be one who might go off and spend it on booze or something. There's another guy who sits at the grocery store in a tattered courdoroy blazer with a sign that reads Homeless CSULB student. I've bought him a deli sandwich, some chips and a beverage a few times. There are just so many out there that I feel overwhelmed. And the tent cities are growing and growing.

Although there was one guy, while honest make me say, "really?" His sign read, "Let's be honest, I want a beer!"

Been a looooong week, Ladies and Gentlemen. Soooo looking forward to the weekend.

Meantime I wanted to thank @Djjsperry for this sweet little gift she sent a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_4197.JPG

A super cute badge holder with my favorite lady mouse. :)

Thank you Janelle!! I love it and will use it for sure!!

Also!!!!

Most of you know that I will be in Bowling Green, Kentucky in June.

After talking with my mom, I thought it would be fun to invite everyone, whoever thinks they can make it, to a DIS Meet at their home. The date that works best for me is June 24.

I'll be cooking up dinner for everyone. And we'll have the evening to hang out and share stories. Very casual, come as you are!

Just send me a PM if you think it might work for you !!

Last edited:
Who'd a thunk that there are times when being taxed to death is the preferred method?

pkondz: putting life into perspective daily.

You are such a good person, that was a heartwarming story. I see them everywhere standing on street corners with signs. There is a guy who stands outside the post office where I drop off my eBay packages. He always opens the door for me. I say, "thank you" every time and I've given him some money a few times as he doesn't seem to be one who might go off and spend it on booze or something. There's another guy who sits at the grocery store in a tattered courdoroy blazer with a sign that reads Homeless CSULB student. I've bought him a deli sandwich, some chips and a beverage a few times. There are just so many out there that I feel overwhelmed. And the tent cities are growing and growing.

Although there was one guy, while honest make me say, "really?" His sign read, "Let's be honest, I want a beer!"

I know it can certainly be an overwhelming thing to see day after day after day. I think we, as a society, have become numb and fatigued at the sheer magnitude of the needs around us. Added to that is the abuse we see with those trying to "help" who spend $.25 on the dollar, homeless folks themselves squandering the resources they are given, etc... I guess I just try to stay focused and do what I think I'm being asked/called to do and do that well. I know no single one of us has been given the job of solving the whole problem all by ourselves and that keeps me from becoming discouraged. I also know that, from the time I did work with that population, that mental illness is HUGE. Dependency is HUGE. So many chicken or the egg scenarios.

I know many choose that lifestyle; some never want to leave it or be asked to. They'll gladly take the handouts though, and that upsets me. I'm a FIRM believer in working to earn your keep. Weeding out the legit folks is the tough one though; I don't think I'm qualified for sure. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this. Such a gigantic issue with NO easy answers. Meantime, I'm going to Africa where I learned yesterday that severe flooding wiped out their schools in one of the villages we'll be in.

upload_2017-5-5_7-38-21.png

upload_2017-5-5_7-38-36.png

In my area, at least, there's often also a difference between homeless and panhandlers. The local homeless services organization actually forbids panhandling if you want to get their services / use their shelters. There are a number of known panhandlers in the area (downtown of a medium size city) who live in Section 8 housing or cheap apartments nearby, and go around asking for money with various sob stories (usually needing cab fare to visit someone sick). So, I won't give money to any of those people. I have given food to people a few times, and they have been grateful enough that I felt good about it, in the sense of feeling like I was making a difference for that person, at least for that day.

Working in the justice system I often see the other side of homelessness. People getting in conflict with the law (shoplifting, physical arguments, drugs). I agree with you Liesa, a lot of the cases are people who don't fit in because of mental health issues. And I would count addiction as a mental health problem, but also cases like schizophrenia. As you say, often it is a chicken and egg question.

However, Michael told me that on his last visit to Disneyland he got to visit the CM store with a friend and there they had an event going on encouraging CMs to donate diapers for homeless babies if I remember correctly. If homeless babies are really such an issue I find that very worrying. I think what Alison is witnessing might also be locally more visible. If I had no home, I would also prefer dry and warm California to rainy and cold somewhere else.

Most of you know that I will be in Bowling Green, Kentucky in June.

After talking with my mom, I thought it would be fun to invite everyone, whoever thinks they can make it, to a DIS Meet at their home. The date that works best for me is June 24.

I'll be cooking up dinner for everyone. And we'll have the evening to hang out and share stories. Very casual, come as you are!

Oh, man, that would be so cool! Sadly, I think Kentucky might be just outside our range of "easy trip". Which stinks.

I know many choose that lifestyle; some never want to leave it or be asked to. They'll gladly take the handouts though, and that upsets me. I'm a FIRM believer in working to earn your keep. Weeding out the legit folks is the tough one though; I don't think I'm qualified for sure. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this. Such a gigantic issue with NO easy answers.

I have no idea. Once I gave a homeless person a meal and watched him throw it in the trash. Another time I gave a homeless woman some money and she wrapped me up in a bear hug. I don't know of any grand solutions. I think you deal with each situation or person as it is presented to you. And yes, you might get conned once or twice, but really, that's on them.

GUESS WHO'S WALKING OUT OF BEST BUY WITH A REPLACEMENT LAPTOP RIGHT NOW?

Bout time, no??

ETA: Lol! (So not laughing) Just kidding. Because it only gets more ridiculous!! Out of stock, and won't have for 10 days. Maybe.

Stoooooooopid.

Last edited:
GUESS WHO'S WALKING OUT OF BEST BUY WITH A REPLACEMENT LAPTOP RIGHT NOW?

Bout time, no??

ETA: Lol! (So not laughing) Just kidding. Because it only gets more ridiculous!! Out of stock, and won't have for 10 days. Maybe.

Well, that seems like a pretty drastic change between the beginning and end of that post! And, not in a happy way. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter