ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

I am getting a pain/steroid injection in my keister today for a bum tailbone (pun intended). Last time (9 months ago) it hurt so bad I could barely sit for a week. Which is where I'm at right now without it so no real change there. HOpefully, it works as well as it did last time and gives me pain free sitting, driving, sneezing, etc... for another 9 months or longer.

Ouch. Does not sound like fun. Good luck with that!

On top of that, we put our rental in Portland on the market and are busy with contracts, renovating it, etc....

You guys are busy!

Plus, the beautiful weather we're having is competing with y'all. I love you guys to pieces, but you know me and sunshine.....

Allergic?

Nevertheless, I have a couple of hours to kill before I see the 6 inch (that is no exaggeration) needle.

:scared: No thanks! I'll pass!

Then why haven't you?!

Ooohhh.....

Yes. Yes, you have. LOL!

Invitation stands.

Still don't know.

The difference is that here there is opportunity all over the place. There ARE services, facilities, professionals, etc... There, there simply IS none. There ARE no resources available for a myriad of reasons. I need to do my part.

We were just talking today about systems that we're going to put in place in Uganda for peer led support. Hoping to put my name in for it.

Just got a call...like JUST NOW. I suspect it's in. Woot! (very, very tentative woot.)

Yay! (very, very tentative yay.)

Oh, yeah, Happy Birthday, Liesa!

:bday: :rainbow:

Thanks, Irene!!! I'll take it!

Ouch. Does not sound like fun. Good luck with that!

Oh, it'll be sore for a few days. Not too worried.

You guys are busy!

ToO Busy!! :faint:

Allergic?

Hardly!
Ooohhh.....

I'm just sayin.... a Salem DISMeet might be kinda fun.

Still don't know.

I'm patient.

We were just talking today about systems that we're going to put in place in Uganda for peer led support. Hoping to put my name in for it.

WHA.....?!??!?!!

That sounds fabulous in a challenging, yet rewarding way!! I'm excited at the possibility for you!

Yay! (very, very tentative yay.)

See next post!!!

upload_2017-5-9_17-29-50.png

Well, looky there!!!

A nice glass of Willamette Valley pinot noir and some beautiful birthday flowers! A lovely sight, no?

OH!

And I suppose that brand new laptop is pretty hot too.

Even better that....

it's a generation newer with WAY more RAM, and best of all....

wait for it.....

APPEARS TO WORK!!!

(and was $20 cheaper)

I know. Unfreakingbelievable.

I'm back in business, DISJunkies. I'm now a posting maniac. When I can.

Last edited:

Q is for: Quiet on the Set! Pt. 1

Life, with all its ups and downs, can take on the elements of movies and theater. No one of us seems immune to the ebb and flow of seasons which make up this production we call humanity. We put on our makeup and persona and venture out into the world to give it our best shot, sometimes with results of joy, other times with heartache, and still others with anxiety, compassion, love, surprise, or anger. Every day, we dress up, do our thing, and hope our day will end in fulfillment. I think Walt knew that, and understood perfectly how to connect with his audience by using entertainment in its most effective ways to draw us in and let us know someone else out there recognized that. Let’s all go now to a world dedicated to entertainment, where the art of theater and silver screen capture so perfectly our human struggles… a place where some of the stories may surprise you- perhaps told in a way you’ve not quite heard before….

The morning was yet young as the group set out to find more exciting adventures for themselves. Little did they know that one of their party would arrive and instantly be changed for the day. For one in this foursome has a wild imagination and all it took was the power of suggestion to open the floodgates of fantasy. Indulge your silly side and listen to the telling of….

IMG_1802.jpg

(Coincidentally, I rather like the smaller print above the intended one below. Let's all hope and pray that my learning to fly doesn't bring adventures that are too terribly "thrilling"!)

A good actress knows how to show up fashionably on time so she can claim that coveted place under the bright spotlights of stardom (or at the front of the pack at rope drop). If it means pushing her way to the front of the stage, all the better. <excuse me Ma'am, while I move your wheelchair over here. And you, yeah you, with the triple-wide stroller... take a hike.> Nothing good ever happens from behind a crowd. Especially if the actress is short. The sun was high even at this early hour and it was already warm enough to melt the makeup right off of her face. It could be seen dripping in globs down her glistening cheeks making Mickey-shaped puddles right there on Sunset Blvd.

IMG_1151.jpg

Hollywoodland is a beautiful place, don't you agree?

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

(Love how I forgot to edit out the lens blob on that one.)

IMG_1152.jpg

Our young (ahem) actress, who early on adopted the screenname “Steppe” (that’s QueenSteppe to you), quickly began to enjoy her newfound life in superstardom and did what many do: opened the door in her robe for the Coke delivery guy. I mean, she did for the pizza guy at a seedy hotel not long afterwards. Clearly you can see that a passionate, but short-lived torrid affair blossomed.

IMG_1229.jpg

It was cut short when our young (ahem) actress found him to be rather stiff. Besides that, she just couldn’t take him seriously with a name like B.O. Sadly, his character was a bit flat for her style so she moved on to someone far more handsome who treated her like the queen she is. To this day, they are incredibly happy together and deeply in love. Not to worry, B.O. was not deterred and found a new girl to give him a try.

IMG_1801.jpg

Every star needs escape from reality once in a while, I mean aside from the times she is making completely unrealistic films, and our young protagonist knows just the place for a chic getaway! Look at this gorgeous place, replete with a natatorium in case she wants to natatory. It’s very well kept and aside from an elevator that occasionally acts up (or falls down as the case may be), it’s in tip-top shape. Always an adventure there! Perfect place to stay in while on location.

IMG_2424.jpg

Like all superstars, Steppe likes to keep her figure lithe and fit, so naturally she chooses healthy, nutritious meals every day. Like this one!

IMG_2432.jpg

I mean, what says “good choice” better than a cream cheese Danish?

IMG_2433.jpg

When she found out her favorite little noshing place in Hollywoodland was going out of business she immediately started an (ineffective) petition to circulate amongst her rich and famous friends to make herself feel important and as if she were making a difference. Despite the 14 signatures, they still went under the chopping block and there will be no more Starring Rolls or Cupcakes. Or healthy Danishes.

After her very slimming breakfast, it was time to head to work- the set. Who knew what the day would hold; one never knows in Hollywoodland who one might see or what might happen. The commute is always an adventure and, as expected, like on most days, our young (ahem) actress came across some of her highly-esteemed colleagues. Costuming was obviously going above and beyond in those productions.

I think this crew was headed off to target practice at the range:

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

Later, we saw them pilfering bags of the set hands; perhaps they could make a better living in thievery than as sharpshooters?

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

And these guys were off to the conference room for a bit more strategizing. While the toys they used for communications were useful, they needed to assess the effectiveness of hollow, plastic grenades in combat.

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

On the way to the studios, Steppe and her entourage encountered a place from which to glean inspiration from the Master himself. They heard his own words, learned of his innovative and creative techniques, and even some tricks of the trade.

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

Disney spoke to her heart for that hour they spent in his “presence”. Encouraged and equipped, Steppe exited with troupe in tow and continued to make her way to work in her ’63 split window ‘Vette. It’s the only way to arrive in style.

As the door was opened for her at the studios, Steppe was informed that first there would be some rehearsal work. Here you can see her stage crew giving directions along with (the) Gaffer, Gripper, and Best Boy. Obviously, a comedy team with names like that. “Rehearsal” lasted about half an hour before Steppe had had enough. I mean, who’s in charge here anyways?!

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

The lady with the shades is clearly taking her part WAY too seriously! The RBF is about as good as they come- truly, I'm not sure I could do any better myself. Hey woman, lighten up. It ain't that big a deal. On the other hand, to the lady in the darker gray shirt: Ummm, it wasn't that funny. Funny, yes, but not that funny.

Time to keep a moving towards our own set. It was good to know I had a fantastic set crew alongside of me for the making of: "This Is Really How It Is".

IMG_1833.jpg

Evidently, in Hollywoodland everyone lives by:

IMG_2430.jpg

...even sisters who don't always look quite like this.

Stay Tuned for the continuation of our story with the filming and after-party! If you're a regular ol' Jane or Joe, you won't want to miss our young (ahem) actress playing the part of Every American Mom in This Is How It Really Is!

Last edited:

Oh my gosh, so much to catch up on! I had everything all quoted out and then my iPad freaked out and I lost it all and apparently I'm too lazy to go back and re-quote everything, so I'll do my best to remember....

Wow, wow, wow on getting upgraded to Club level at AKL!!! That is so awesomely amazing!!! I love that you took the time to really enjoy it and the resort, it looks really beautiful.

I bet your kiddos were so surprised to stay there.

You can never go wrong with a cheese danish!

Love all your photos!

I'll try to do better at keeping up!

Oh my gosh, so much to catch up on! I had everything all quoted out and then my iPad freaked out and I lost it all and apparently I'm too lazy to go back and re-quote everything, so I'll do my best to remember....

Haaaaate when that happens!

Wow, wow, wow on getting upgraded to Club level at AKL!!! That is so awesomely amazing!!! I love that you took the time to really enjoy it and the resort, it looks really beautiful.

I know!!! Our family felt incredibly blessed and loved every minute!

I bet your kiddos were so surprised to stay there.

Very, and very stoked too.

You can never go wrong with a cheese danish!

My only complaint was that they can't/won't warm them up for you.

Love all your photos!

I'll try to do better at keeping up!

Thanks, Kelly! Any time you're around is great. :)

Oh, it'll be sore for a few days. Not too worried.

How is that now?

WHA.....?!??!?!!

That sounds fabulous in a challenging, yet rewarding way!! I'm excited at the possibility for you!

Don't get too excited.
Very long shot at best.

A nice glass of Willamette Valley pinot noir and some beautiful birthday flowers! A lovely sight, no?

Very nice.

Even better that....

wait for it.....

APPEARS TO WORK!!!

(and was $20 cheaper)

Good! Finally!

:sad2: One more for me to fall behind on. :laughing:

Will read later. Work calling!

You all know, well those of you who followed my PTR, that my youngest daughter and I indulged in a Wanyama Tour at AKL. I haven’t shared about that yet, but will get to that soon. (“Soon”, if you haven’t figured it out yet, is a very relative term in the world of trip reporting.)
Well, let's see, by my count we've got 6 more letters to get there...

“Welcome Home, Mrs. Steppe…

You’ve been upgraded to Concierge Level. Congratulations on your Graduation!”
Holy crap! That's awesome!!!!!

We arrived during evening “Snack Time”. How fortuitous! Because it happened to be our “Snack Time” too! Then again, it’s “Snack Time” all the time at Disney
::yes:: I eat way too much there. Amazing how I can walk 20,000+ steps in a day and still gain weight there... :rotfl2:

Ahhh, there it is, a missing wheel. Snapped off and gone.

“Excellent!”, I say to myself. “This is my neighbor’s bag I’d borrowed for the trip.”.
:sad2:

“We will absolutely fix the problem or replace it right away!”, was the response.

After an hour or so of “lounging”, it was determined that to fix it would be 4 days.

NOPE! Not gonna work! “I’m sorry, Ma’am, we’ll have to replace it.”
Wow, great service! I know Disney does offer service that is typically above and beyond, but it does leave me wondering if you'd have the same results if you weren't staying concierge.

It was well after 10:00, but nighttime resort walks are the absolute best.
::yes::

Now, because I'm pretty sure I'll forget to come back to it, I have to finish the suitcase saga. Because every good set of luggage should have an adventure. We arrived home about a week later, after a dip into the Keys (a TR coming up someday near you), and I go to unpack my bag. After all that...

Southwest Air managed to take off a zipper pull on an outside pocket.
You've got to be kidding. :faint:

After talking it over with my neighbors, they decided they did indeed want a new bag
And this is why I don't like to borrow things.

I’ll leave off there, but have quite a bit more to tell you about our stay at the Lodge. Will you stick it out with me and find out what’s next as we work our way from A to Z?
I'm just hoping for a ton of info about AKL to be posted in the next 58 days... hint, hint.

Some things are a given. The sun rises and sets, taxes are due in mid-April
Or in my case, taxes are due end of February.

Animal Kingdom Lodge does not disappoint.
Well, that's reassuring.

I DID pay for and sign up for my Private Pilot Ground School today. Classes start on May 16th and will go for 10 weeks. Starting out my 2nd half century right, by making dreams come true and finding BIG adventure!
Awesome! Good luck!

Also, remember I mentioned my involvement with a Community Development project in W. Africa? I talked with my aunt, the main proposal writer, today, and our proposal has passed the first big hurdle. She is hopeful we'll be funded so the work can begin soon. Which means actually getting paid for something I've dreamed about doing for over 15 years. Bringing health and relief to an utterly poverty-stricken, but beautiful place to beautiful people. Keep praying for funding to come through soon so we can take vaccinations, basic health care, clean water and health education to W. Africa!
Again, good luck!

I know many choose that lifestyle; some never want to leave it or be asked to. They'll gladly take the handouts though, and that upsets me. I'm a FIRM believer in working to earn your keep. Weeding out the legit folks is the tough one though; I don't think I'm qualified for sure. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this.
No real thoughts or ideas, although I completely agree with you.

GUESS WHO'S WALKING OUT OF BEST BUY WITH A REPLACEMENT LAPTOP RIGHT NOW?

Bout time, no??

ETA: Lol! (So not laughing) Just kidding. Because it only gets more ridiculous!! Out of stock, and won't have for 10 days. Maybe.

Stoooooooopid.
And Best Buy won't be seeing any more of your money, right?

OH!

Even better that....

wait for it.....

APPEARS TO WORK!!!

(and was $20 cheaper)

I know. Unfreakingbelievable.

I hope this one works better than the last!

(Coincidentally, I rather like the smaller print above the intended one below. Let's all hope and pray that my learning to fly doesn't bring adventures that are too terribly "thrilling"!)
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

When she found out her favorite little noshing place in Hollywoodland was going out of business she immediately started an (ineffective) petition to circulate amongst her rich and famous friends to make herself feel important and as if she were making a difference. Despite the 14 signatures, they still went under the chopping block and there will be no more Starring Rolls or Cupcakes. Or healthy Danishes.
Booooooooooooo!!!!!

Stay Tuned for the continuation of our story with the filming and after-party! If you're a regular ol' Jane or Joe, you won't want to miss our young (ahem) actress playing the part of Every American Mom in This Is How It Really Is!
I hope there are exploding helicopters. Every good movie has exploding helicopters.

Well, let's see, by my count we've got 6 more letters to get there...

Oh! So the tour started with "W", so I should use it for that letter? Why not R is for: Rolicking with the Animals?

Holy crap! That's awesome!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

::yes:: I eat way too much there. Amazing how I can walk 20,000+ steps in a day and still gain weight there... :rotfl2:

Dole Whips, Mickey Bars, RICE CREAM!, cheddar cheese pretzels, RICE CREAM!, margaritas, popcorn..... it ain't hard.

Wow, great service! I know Disney does offer service that is typically above and beyond, but it does leave me wondering if you'd have the same results if you weren't staying concierge.

I wondered the same thing. The lady who helped us was in touch with us everyday, took it on as her personal project, etc... I kinda think that was the difference and that it was above and beyond at Concierge Level.

And this is why I don't like to borrow things.

I wouldn't borrow anything if I knew I couldn't replace it pretty easily. In this case, we just ran out of time to go buy one ahead of time.

I'm just hoping for a ton of info about AKL to be posted in the next 58 days... hint, hint.

Not sure I can add more.... don't forget that they have TONS Of stuff to do for kids ALL throughout the day: storytelling, drumming lessons, tours, feeding the birds, crafts by the pool, etc.... I'd plan a day of not leaving the resort if you have it.

Or in my case, taxes are due end of February.

Why? Business? Or do you pay quarterly as well? Or????

And Best Buy won't be seeing any more of your money, right?

Right.

I hope this one works better than the last!

So far it's worked for 2 whole days! :dancer:

I hope there are exploding helicopters. Every good movie has exploding helicopters.

Noted. <Begins plot development>

Even better that....

wait for it.....

APPEARS TO WORK!!!

:eek::eek::eek: :faint:

We put on our makeup

Dang. I knew I was doing something wrong.

Let’s all go now to a world dedicated to entertainment, where the art of theater and silver screen capture so perfectly our human struggles…

With a few exploding helicopters thrown in.

Hollywoodland is a beautiful place, don't you agree?

::yes::

Our young (ahem) actress, who early on adopted the screenname “Steppe” (that’s QueenSteppe to you), quickly began to enjoy her newfound life in superstardom and did what many do: opened the door in her robe for the Coke delivery guy. I mean, she did for the pizza guy at a seedy hotel not long afterwards. Clearly you can see that a passionate, but short-lived torrid affair blossomed.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: You know I love a good running gag.

Besides that, she just couldn’t take him seriously with a name like B.O.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I mean, what says “good choice” better than a cream cheese Danish?

It's got a foreign name. Has to be nutritious.

Despite the 14 signatures, they still went under the chopping block and there will be no more Starring Rolls or Cupcakes. Or healthy Danishes.

Booooo. Change is always bad! Sometimes.

Later, we saw them pilfering bags of the set hands; perhaps they could make a better living in thievery than as sharpshooters?

That's awesome. I love to see stuff like this.

On the way to the studios, Steppe and her entourage encountered a place from which to glean inspiration from the Master himself. They heard his own words, learned of his innovative and creative techniques, and even some tricks of the trade.

I could stare at the models in there for hours.

Awwwww...

Ha! It took me a couple of reads through to understand what was going on! Funny what you did there!

Nice shots of the various parade folks, I especially liked the little green army men.

I think the lady in the gray shirt doesn't get out much. She was clearly more engaged in what was going on than everyone else!

So Starring Rolls really closed? Bummer. We didn't go there much, but we had enjoyed some of their cupcakes.

Ha! It took me a couple of reads through to understand what was going on! Funny what you did there!

:scratchin:surfweb::scratchin

:teeth: :teeth:

Nice shots of the various parade folks, I especially liked the little green army men.

Thanks! :) I love how DHS puts little bits of entertainment around the park to just enjoy at random times.

I think the lady in the gray shirt doesn't get out much. She was clearly more engaged in what was going on than everyone else!

I know! Funny what we find on our photos only after we look at them at home.

So Starring Rolls really closed? Bummer. We didn't go there much, but we had enjoyed some of their cupcakes.

Yes, it really did. :headache: It was a quick and easy place to grab a pretty good midday sammie.

You're missing out on the one over on my thread....

I'm going there soon!!

Dang. I knew I was doing something wrong.

Were you wearing it with your cape today?

With a few exploding helicopters thrown in.

Okay, okay! I can take a hint!

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: You know I love a good running gag.

Stay away from bananas and that won't happen to you.

It's got a foreign name. Has to be nutritious.

Like French Fries?

Booooo. Change is always bad! Sometimes.

Yes, er.... um... okay.

I could stare at the models in there for hours.

As opposed to other models elsewhere?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter