ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

'Free' is a tricky concept for some.

And occasionally pricey.

Hmmmm.... pkondz Trebek. Nice ring to it.

Coulda happened. He's Canadian. It's a small pool.

Oh? Not the kind of wild you were thinking of?

I didn't know what I was thinking....

But not that!!!

pkondz pollyanna trebek.... even better.

Good grief. :sad2:

I never saw any questionable behavior. I guess if you're paying that much, you'd better behave- it'd be such an expensive shame to get thrown out.

Hmmm.... true.
Then again.... some people don't let things like common sense stop them.

I wish I'd taken more photos. I was pretty wowed to be sure.

Take 'em next time.
With your luck... you'll get concierge again.
You'll lose a bag, yes (or something)... but you'll get concierge.

Mmmm! Breakfast on the go!

Protein.

P is for Perfectly Pleasing- AKL, pt. 2

Some things are a given. The sun rises and sets, taxes are due in mid-April, my kids will run me out of milk before I get my morning coffee once a week, and Animal Kingdom Lodge does not disappoint.

Throughout our 3-day stay at Concierge Level, we enjoyed many of the amenities available to us, and to say that we "enjoyed" it would be understating the obvious. The Lounge was a big hit for grabbing a snack, the animals were of course the piece de resistance, but there was so much more to this resort than even those. Everywhere we turned, we encountered Disney hospitality, African artistry, and a restful walk on the wild side, if that makes sense. It was exotic, yet in a controlled, elegant way. Just perfect after 3 long years of stressful, chaotic, uncontrolled existence.

Many moments were spent slowing down with long walks around the grounds, quiet times spent with our feet up taking in the tranquil grace of the Savanna, browsing the gift shop and savoring the art on loan from all over Africa.

Mornings were perhaps my favorite times during our stay. The coffee was delicious from just down the hall in the Lounge- they offered freshly brewed African import, or lattes and cappuccino from a machine. It was easy enough to grab a pastry and coffee, or tea, or cocoa and take it back for views like this:

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%206-2.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

Or this:

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%205-2.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

I never got tired of that…

One of our walks took us WAYYYY down the hall to tackle some laundry- the 2nd time we needed to do some this trip. I can attest to the fact, that the laundry facilities are actually on par with any other resort- both value and deluxe. They all have machines, counters, soap dispensers, payment machines and such. The only difference was there was seating in the one at AKL. But I can also verify that the scenery along the way might be a notch up at a deluxe. If you’re a fan of museums and like art of every medium, this is the place for you.

IMG_2901%20-%20Copy-2.jpg

Horrible photo, but I loved these funky beaded lamps!

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%203-2.jpg

IMG_2900-2.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

Here's a gift shop I absolutely DIDN'T mind spending some time in. Since the trip was winding down, the kids still had some gift card money from birthdays and Christmases that I actually ENCOURAGED them to now spend. It was fun getting texts while I did laundry from Anara asking for my opinion on which t-shirt or this or that to buy.

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%202-2.jpg

How about a swim?

IMG_2641.jpg

Not my favorite pool at Disney, but a less “busy”, more slow-paced sort of place.

When you slow down a bit and explore your resort, there's even some time for hunting down some of the more elusive Hidden Mickeys. These, along with all the others in this TR, will count for the Contest HMs.

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

That 2nd one is ONLY visible from the 4th (Concierge) floor.

Yes, we did go the parks some on these days, in fact, after our first night at AKL, I took me a little dip into The Ditch with the Gang. I think I told @franandaj and the others of our upgrade, yes?

Still have a few last photos and stories to share, but will wait for another time. Stuff to do!!

And now, aside from Disney, just a mini real life update... I DID pay for and sign up for my Private Pilot Ground School today. Classes start on May 16th and will go for 10 weeks. Starting out my 2nd half century right, by making dreams come true and finding BIG adventure!

Also, remember I mentioned my involvement with a Community Development project in W. Africa? I talked with my aunt, the main proposal writer, today, and our proposal has passed the first big hurdle. She is hopeful we'll be funded so the work can begin soon. Which means actually getting paid for something I've dreamed about doing for over 15 years. Bringing health and relief to an utterly poverty-stricken, but beautiful place to beautiful people. Keep praying for funding to come through soon so we can take vaccinations, basic health care, clean water and health education to W. Africa!

All for now. Until next time: Dream BIG, live strong, pursue joy, and find adventure!

Last edited:
AKL is the resort that made me a WDW fan in a way. We stayed there on my second trip and it just was so magical. I am happy that you enjoyed it so much, too! I don't mind that it is a bit further away, because it is so self contained and has so much to offer.

Great news on your Africa project! That would be wonderful if you actually make money doing something so positive! I hope it will all work out.

Some things are a given. The sun rises and sets, taxes are due in mid-April, my kids will run me out of milk before I get my morning coffee once a week, and Animal Kingdom Lodge does not disappoint.

Preach!

Everywhere we turned, we encountered Disney hospitality, African artistry, and a restful walk on the wild side, if that makes sense. It was exotic, yet in a controlled, elegant way.

Absolutely agree.

The coffee was delicious from just down the hall in the Lounge- they offered freshly brewed African import, or lattes and cappuccino from a machine.

Those mornings sound like heaven!

And now, aside from Disney, just a mini real life update... I DID pay for and sign up for my Private Pilot Ground School today. Classes start on May 16th and will go for 10 weeks. Starting out my 2nd half century right, by making dreams come true and finding BIG adventure!

That's so exciting! I'm sure it'll be hard work, but enjoy every minute!

She is hopeful we'll be funded so the work can begin soon. Which means actually getting paid for something I've dreamed about doing for over 15 years. Bringing health and relief to an utterly poverty-stricken, but beautiful place to beautiful people. Keep praying for funding to come through soon so we can take vaccinations, basic health care, clean water and health education to W. Africa!

Wow, congrats, it sounds like everything is in the works and going as it should. Praying for you and your team, and the people you'll be able to make such a difference for!

The coffee was delicious from just down the hall in the Lounge- they offered freshly brewed African import, or lattes and cappuccino from a machine. It was easy enough to grab a pastry and coffee, or tea, or cocoa and take it back for views like this:

This sounds just perfect. I wonder if the ability to have free breakfast and snacks makes up for some of the cost of club level...probably not all of it, but if you consider free snacks like a free meal (like I think you do and so do I...) then it helps justify it a bit I think!!

I DID pay for and sign up for my Private Pilot Ground School today.

This is SO exciting!!!

Also, remember I mentioned my involvement with a Community Development project in W. Africa?

It seems fitting to have an update about this project during the AKL update! (AKL seems much more scenic and luxurious than anything I saw when I was in West Africa, that is for sure. Tho that is *not* the area with most of the exotic animals you expect to see on an African safari, so the only tourists you get are for the beaches, and I didn't actually visit the beach at all when I was there.)

Some things are a given. The sun rises and sets

Not if you travel West quickly enough. Then it would either never rise or never set.

taxes are due in mid-April

Not in every country.

my kids will run me out of milk before I get my morning coffee once a week

Impressive! You only have coffee once a week. Lots of people have to have it every morning.

we enjoyed many of the amenities available to us, and to say that we "enjoyed" it would be understating the obvious.

Destroyed? Annihilated? Wiped off the face of the planet? Gorged yourselves to oblivion?

The Lounge was a big hit for grabbing a snack, the animals were of course the piece de resistance

YOU ATE THE ANIMALS?!?!?!?!!?

African artistry, and a restful walk on the wild side, if that makes sense.

Actually... that does.

It was exotic, yet in a controlled, elegant way. Just perfect after 3 long years of stressful, chaotic, uncontrolled existence.

And you definitely deserved that. Glad you could get that reward for all your hard work.

Many moments were spent slowing down with long walks around the grounds, quiet times spent with our feet up taking in the tranquil grace of the Savanna, browsing the gift shop and savoring the art on loan from all over Africa.

Very nice. Very.

It was easy enough to grab a pastry and coffee, or tea, or cocoa and take it back for views like this:

:sad2: Man... That is really incredible.

I can attest to the fact, that the laundry facilities are actually on par with any other resort- both value and deluxe. They all have machines, counters, soap dispensers, payment machines and such.

Mark gave me grief for posting about a mall.... I shudder to think what he'll say about posting about a laundry room.

Reminds me of a jelly fish.

Was that ceramic??

Not my favorite pool at Disney, but a less “busy”, more slow-paced sort of place.

Just what you needed.

I don't do hidden Mickey's, but... that's gotta be a more rare one to see.

I DID pay for and sign up for my Private Pilot Ground School today.

Saw that on FB. Congrats again! That's terrific!

Starting out my 2nd half century right, by making dreams come true and finding BIG adventure!

Good for you! Seriously!

Also, remember I mentioned my involvement with a Community Development project in W. Africa? I talked with my aunt, the main proposal writer, today, and our proposal has passed the first big hurdle. She is hopeful we'll be funded so the work can begin soon. Which means actually getting paid for something I've dreamed about doing for over 15 years. Bringing health and relief to an utterly poverty-stricken, but beautiful place to beautiful people. Keep praying for funding to come through soon so we can take vaccinations, basic health care, clean water and health education to W. Africa!

Don't recall, but then again... I just worked a midnight shift, so...

But sounds both exciting, humbling and daunting all at the same time.

I just don't get it. If you're willing to stash a couple of kids on the floor... why not? It's your room.

I think it technically has to do with fire codes as to how many people they allow within a certain square footage. Most hotels really don't care from what I can tell.

Mornings were perhaps my favorite times during our stay. The coffee was delicious from just down the hall in the Lounge- they offered freshly brewed African import, or lattes and cappuccino from a machine. It was easy enough to grab a pastry and coffee, or tea, or cocoa and take it back for views like this:

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%206-2.jpg

Hard to beat mornings like that.

I think AKL is absolutely worth the splurge just because of the animals outside the balcony. It's truly magical. Can't really get that anywhere else.

Nice one!

Excellent! Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Great to hear some progress! Hope the funding comes through.

So you have another TR going? How did I miss that??

@Captain_Oblivious Dude... do you really want me to tell you?

And... you rake me over the coals for writing about a mall... one with a skating rink, the largest indoor wave pool in the world and a freaking ship in it... and nothing about her writing about a laundry room????

I see how it is, now.

@Captain_Oblivious Dude... do you really want me to tell you?

Ah. Good point.

And... you rake me over the coals for writing about a mall... one with a skating rink, the largest indoor wave pool in the world and a freaking ship in it... and nothing about her writing about a laundry room????

I see how it is, now.

Well, it was a paragraph instead of a chapter. And truth be told, I'm used to Liesa talking about stuff that I know nothing about (gourmet foods, fancy henna drawings for your hands, complicated medical procedures, relaxing while on a vacation, etc.) so I must have blacked out. Or I'm off my game.

But don't worry. In the future, I promise I will try to be more of an equal-opportunity jerk.

Well, it was a paragraph instead of a chapter. And truth be told, I'm used to Liesa talking about stuff that I know nothing about (gourmet foods, fancy henna drawings for your hands, complicated medical procedures, relaxing while on a vacation, etc.) so I must have blacked out.

Those are both good points... however...

Or I'm off my game.

... this is more likely.

But don't worry. In the future, I promise I will try to be more of an equal-opportunity jerk.

This surprises no one.

No one.

So, long story just about as long, Anara and I did the tour and dinner and then the whole family met in the AKL lobby for my big reveal.

When I told them that they were “already home”, they burst into big smiles and hugged each other.
That's great and so nice to get that reaction from them. I really want to surprise my family like that sometime. I don't know when or what, but I'm determined to do it.

Never, EVER, EVER in my wildest dreams (they can get pretty wild) did I think I’d be staying at a Disney deluxe resort with my whole family, let alone, in a hoity-toity, over-the-top Concierge Level room. Ever.

I know some of you have been Grand Marshalls (@Princess Leia), are DVC owners, have APs, go all the time, have had those knock-your-socks-off moments and surprises, but Ladies and Gentlemen, this was one of those for our family. A quite probably once-in-a-lifetime, wonderfully enchanted moment gifted to us.
I can relate. The best we got was a free brownie sundae on my birthday in MK and a free chocolate ice cream "because the machine was about to run out anyway". Oh well, you take what you can get. But a room upgrade is obviously at the top of the list.

Now, we had about 4 billion more reasons to stick around. Plus, I was now with a person who doesn’t “park” very well. For those of you who are hooked up with a hater, you get it.
I get it. Although I don't have a hater, DW is not quite as Disney as me. She enjoys it and looks forward to it, but doesn't have that extra "something" most of us DISers have. Just last week I was helping her plan (ie: doing it for her) her and DD's dance school trip in July. I had her scheduled for a full day at DHS, but she said she didn't know if she wanted a full day, since DD does not do roller coasters and neither of them are into Star Wars. I said that I assumed she would want to see Fantasmic in the night. She asked "have they changed it? I've seen it three times". So yeah, not a hater, but not quite a DISer.

We arrived during evening “Snack Time”. How fortuitous! Because it happened to be our “Snack Time” too! Then again, it’s “Snack Time” all the time at Disney. Something Concierge gets.
Snack time all the time at Disney. I like that. I have the feeling that if I ever do pay to stay concierge, I may in fact get my money's worth just at the snack bar alone.

I need to show my wife these pictures. She's convinced that if we stay at AKL, there will be lions climbing up the balcony trying to get in the room. And the place will smell like manure. :sad2:

I DID pay for and sign up for my Private Pilot Ground School today. Classes start on May 16th and will go for 10 weeks. Starting out my 2nd half century right, by making dreams come true and finding BIG adventure!

That's fantastic on both fronts! Adventure is out there!

Hi
Well it certainly looks like your summer is being already mapped out ten weeks at school then after that is that when you are allowed to take to the sky's for your real flying lessons in an aircraft.Hopefully you will have your licence before moving to Africa. lodge looks a great place to relax and watch the animals go round its a pity that there is theme parks nearby to take you away from it.Great update with some nice photos to company it.

The coffee was delicious from just down the hall in the Lounge- they offered freshly brewed African import, or lattes and cappuccino from a machine. It was easy enough to grab a pastry and coffee, or tea, or cocoa and take it back for views like this:

When we stayed Concierge our room was at the other end of the hotel so we never took the coffee back to the room, but you're right that view never gets old. I miss the AKL!

I can attest to the fact, that the laundry facilities are actually on par with any other resort- both value and deluxe.

Huh. I've only done laundry in my Villa, so I have no idea about the shared laundry facilities.

Here's a gift shop I absolutely DIDN'T mind spending some time in.

The Zawadi Marketplace is definitely a cool spot to shop!

I think I told @franandaj and the others of our upgrade, yes?

If you did, the Tequila helped me promptly forget.

I DID pay for and sign up for my Private Pilot Ground School today. Classes start on May 16th and will go for 10 weeks.

How cool! Way to go!

Which means actually getting paid for something I've dreamed about doing for over 15 years. Bringing health and relief to an utterly poverty-stricken, but beautiful place to beautiful people.

You are certainly a kind soul. How nice of you. :goodvibes

No! Now!

Oh, okay. Fine. After work... or whenever you have time.
I know life gets in the way. :)

My apologies, My Friends!

After a LOOOOONNG drought of none to hardly any hours at work, I am busy again. I have a 5 business day stretch of shifts and my weekend was busy with yardwork, church and the other normal stuff that happens around here. I don't like to keep replies waiting as long as I have, but trying to get in the groove again. It doesn't help that I STILL don't have my laptop back and I don't get very much time with the kids' as they use it for homework in the evenings. Sorry, the DIS SUCKS on a phone. Period. Nearly impossible to even get one sentence typed before it crashes. Good news, I'm picking it up tomorrow. I am not convinced it'll actually work as they diagnosed a hardware problem, but it acted more like an OS or software problem to me. We'll see....

AKL is the resort that made me a WDW fan in a way. We stayed there on my second trip and it just was so magical. I am happy that you enjoyed it so much, too! I don't mind that it is a bit further away, because it is so self contained and has so much to offer.

There really is no other resort, to me at least, that holds the same draw. The Poly comes close, but if I were to take a trip to WDW and NOT have ANY park tickets, I could be a very happy lady just staying there for 4 days. It'd be pretty hard to get "bored" there.

Great news on your Africa project! That would be wonderful if you actually make money doing something so positive! I hope it will all work out.

I do too! I really hope I can get my aunt to come down to Bowling Green in June so I can face-to-face with her about what she saw there a month and a half ago on a survey trip.

:mic:

Those mornings sound like heaven!

Absolutely magical. No rush, no agenda, just the quiet, the animals and me.

That's so exciting! I'm sure it'll be hard work, but enjoy every minute!

I will give updates on my progress and let you all know how it's going!

Wow, congrats, it sounds like everything is in the works and going as it should. Praying for you and your team, and the people you'll be able to make such a difference for!

Thanks, Meghan! I'm super excited about the whole thing! So far we've got a 2 RNs, and LPN, 2 docs, and a smattering of others. I hope it happens soon!

This sounds just perfect. I wonder if the ability to have free breakfast and snacks makes up for some of the cost of club level...probably not all of it, but if you consider free snacks like a free meal (like I think you do and so do I...) then it helps justify it a bit I think!!

I'm sure it does if you actually plan to eat that exclusively. I can say there was plenty of variety to do that and not get tired of it. Yes, snacks can TOTALLY be a meal!

This is SO exciting!!!

Thanks, Kathy! I'll keep you updated.

It seems fitting to have an update about this project during the AKL update! (AKL seems much more scenic and luxurious than anything I saw when I was in West Africa, that is for sure. Tho that is *not* the area with most of the exotic animals you expect to see on an African safari, so the only tourists you get are for the beaches, and I didn't actually visit the beach at all when I was there.)

I will take a bit of time to do some touring when I'm there, and would love to see the beach. From what I understand, our villages are near the beaches/coast, as my aunt has talked about the Chinese coming in and decimating their livelihoods and even food sources from their overfishing. I don't expect to see the Safari type animals, but will definitely be doing some photography while there!

Where did you visit? Did you have to be quarantined when you returned? Or not in the Ebola Zone?

Not if you travel West quickly enough. Then it would either never rise or never set.

Ok, Mr. Technicality.

I have done that on many occasions. It is... disorienting.

<Why yes, it IS 3:00AM and it feels like it must be time to unpack all of our bags.>

Not in every country.

You're right, but they ARE due sometime in every country.

Impressive! You only have coffee once a week. Lots of people have to have it every morning.

Staaaaaaaawp! LOL!

Destroyed? Annihilated? Wiped off the face of the planet? Gorged yourselves to oblivion?

You might be getting close.

YOU ATE THE ANIMALS?!?!?!?!!?

Sure! Never had giraffe? :confused3

Mark gave me grief for posting about a mall.... I shudder to think what he'll say about posting about a laundry room.

Apparently, it all comes down to length of description? Besides, laundry rooms are so darned intriguing. He was riveted!

Reminds me of a jelly fish.

HAH! Kinda, yeah!

Was that ceramic??

I do not believe so. I think just painting on a plastered column.

I don't do hidden Mickey's, but... that's gotta be a more rare one to see.

It had to be pointed out to me. The CM was so excited about his job in the Lounge.

But sounds both exciting, humbling and daunting all at the same time.

I'm not really daunted or afraid at all. Very excited and anyone who's ever gone on a humanitarian trip or missions trip will tell you... YOU are the one forever changed. Gives a hefty dose of reality and very quickly. The whining and complaining become unbearable to hear when you come back.

I think it technically has to do with fire codes as to how many people they allow within a certain square footage.

Then why does both POP and AKL have the same caps? Maybe, but they seem rigged to me.

Hard to beat mornings like that.

I think AKL is absolutely worth the splurge just because of the animals outside the balcony. It's truly magical. Can't really get that anywhere else.

::yes::

Excellent! Good luck, we're all counting on you.

I'll need it surely!!!
Great to hear some progress! Hope the funding comes through.

I hope so too!! This has been in the works for a while, and I'm getting antsy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter