2014 Beach & Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun *DO NOT POST HERE- FIND NEW THREAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i keep reading about the DTD bus and how bad it is...we usually drive to WDW and use our car for everything. We normally only need one trip to DTD and its to hit Ghirardelli.

What are your suggestions? I have mostly read the ride there is ok but ride back is crazy, why is there a difference in the 2? How much can we expect for a cab back to BC?

Thanks

So i keep reading about the DTD bus and how bad it is...we usually drive to WDW and use our car for everything. We normally only need one trip to DTD and its to hit Ghirardelli.

What are your suggestions? I have mostly read the ride there is ok but ride back is crazy, why is there a difference in the 2? How much can we expect for a cab back to BC?

Thanks

Quick answer- it can be an hour and a half back to the resort(s) from DTD. Depending on the time of year and time of day, the buses stop at Typhoon Lagoon on their way back, plus there is often a driver change on that route. The DTD return bus also make multiple resort stops- Swan, Dolphin, BWI, YC, Beach Club.

And, we have found the buses to be crowded and also filled with cranky and intoxicated guests after the dinner hour.

A cab is around $15 to the BC- so under $20 including tip.

Well worth every penny!

Ninja Mom's response to CSI007 is one of the best I've ever read. Great advice and so well and tender heartedly said.

Quick answer- it can be an hour and a half back to the resort(s) from DTD. Depending on the time of year and time of day, the buses stop at Typhoon Lagoon on their way back, plus there is often a driver change on that route. The DTD return bus also make multiple resort stops- Swan, Dolphin, BWI, YC, Beach Club. And, we have found the buses to be crowded and also filled with cranky and intoxicated guests after the dinner hour. A cab is around $15 to the BC- so under $20 including tip. Well worth every penny!

Not bad to split between my brother and i!

I have a question for recent guests of the Yacht & Beach Club. I never received a survey after our July trip. We were room only- not a package.

If you have stayed in the past 6 months can you make a quick post saying if you received a survey, if you were a room only booking or package and how the survey came (email or by mail)

The surveys are really important, and the managers at Disney do review the information closely. Please make sure you give your feedback about your vacation. What, or who, helped make your trip special? How could your stay have been improved?

Thanks!

We stayed in November and received an email survey- that was WL tho. Next trip Beach Club!!! Can't wait :banana:

Hi everyone, we are so excited, we will be staying here again in February!!! Could you please add us to the BOG list. We will be there Feb. 19 thru 24. We will be doing the Princess run so this is the perfect hotel for it. We love all our pass stays at Yacht Club but this time we are staying at the Beach Club. Only 21 days till we are there.

Laura

First, so sorry for the loss of your father and to hear all your mother has gone through in such a short time.

I completely understand your mom not wanting to use a scooter and how the thought of using one makes her feel ... I had to deal with this last summer.

After a couple of days in the park, mom realized she really was having difficulties walking. It took this for her to agree to use a scooter. I'd talked to her about it ahead of time and I know she did not want to use one -- at all. But she has been to WDW many times and she just wasn't able to experience it the same with her foot/knee problems. She'd gotten a shot before we left but it wasn't enough with all the walking required.

We ended up calling Apple Scooter and had one delivered to the resort that day. She may not have liked it, but it helped so much. She was able to keep up with us and keep a smile on her face. It may have hurt her pride, but at least it kept her pain free for the most part.

Good luck with your trip.

Thank you for the information and the kind words. I will check out Apple scooter. I was looking on the disney site and their prices seemed high per day.

Here is what Ninja Mom, who has had a bout with cancer herself and is missing a part or two, has learned to do when going on a Disney trip....

1) Have realistic expectations
First of all try to convince your Mom that She won't get it all done in one trip! Nobody ever does and believe me people have tried. Just tell her that you are going to have a great trip, that you will do what you can do and that DISNEY will STILL BE THERE for the next trip. Don't be fooled into making this a race from attraction to attraction. Do some of the things, enjoy them and realize you have an opportunity to plan another trip so you can keep crossing off experiences at WDW. Think Easy and Enjoyable touring plan instead of Crazy, tiring, racing around the park touring plan.

2) Plan Ahead!
That being said, planning will be your best friend! Before the trip go to the Disney web site and have everyone that's going acquaint themselves with the things that they want to do at each park. We have a family meeting and everyone picks the top things that they want to do. We make a list where we target what we want to do and we use this touring plan http://www.easywdw.com/cheat-sheets/disney-world-cheat-sheets-maps-touring-plans-and-wait-times/ to tell us WHAT TIME OF THE DAY that we need to hit the attractions on our list.

3) "Zig" when everyone else "Zags" to avoid the crowds and spend less time waiting in lines
Here is another link to that Easy WDW site that tells you what day to go to which park: http://www.easywdw.com/
On the right side of the page there is a month by month assessment called January, Feb, March etc... Crowd calendar. It will tell you for EACH day what each park is going to be like as far as crowd levels. I LOVE the fact that it even tells you WHY!! :thumbsup2 If you read this you will understand which park to go to on what day to avoid the crowds. Yeah, there will still be people at the parks but there will be less people if you follow that plan. For example people always want to go to MK at the beginning of their Disney trip and since they travel on the weekends Sun and Mon are the most crowded days at the MK. You'll get the idea when you read up on that site. You probably already know that but I'm putting that in there for all the lurkers that are reading this and may have the same concerns...

4) Go EARLY at park opening, LEAVE at Lunch time and go back to the hotel for a rest. Go out again for dinner and an evening of more attractions.
Most older people only have the energy to go to the parks for about 4 hours. If you follow that morning/lunch rest/ dinner and a few more attractions plan you will be satisfied and not over tired. There is stuff at the hotel like the bed for a nap or the pool or the HOT TUB that really helps to reinvigorate a person and give them the energy for a beautiful evening. Follow that schedule whether you have a toddler or a two hundred and something year old ;) and you will be in good shape with fewer burnouts and melt downs. If you are going in the hot summer months you will avoid the hottest, sunniest parts of the day! Play/rest/play while at Disney.

5) Start walking now
If you can with the crazy winter weather, see how she is making out walking around now. A scooter or other assistive device is perfectly reasonable so tell her no worries. There are so many people using them that she won't feel self conscious after the first 5 minutes. Most people walk between 6-8 miles a day while touring the parks and it can be exhausting! If she is not able to get up to that level she needs to understand that a scooter will help her conserve her energy so that she can ENJOY the parks and that it will be no trouble for her to jump on and off as needed. The BC/YC is the perfect resort for scooters because you are a quick boat ride or a walk away from 2 parks and the buses are equipped to handle the scooters for Animal Kingdom or MK. Using a scooter is not a sign of defeat, it's a wise use to conserve her energy and allow her to enjoy the parks with out wearing herself out! She will probably get further along in her recovery and in the future not need the scooter, but for now, the two of you need to be honest about where she is in her physical recovery and err on the side of conservation of her energy if necessary, especially since touring Disney parks can be such a physical grind.

To sum it up, most of us go Disney crazy and try to run around like chickens without heads when we see all there is to do. If you go in with a plan and reasonable expectations you won't be disappointed. All that stuff that you are not getting to do will still be there the next time, and hopefully Mom will be in better shape as here recovery progresses. I personally use my Disney trips as an incentive to work out and get in shape. It took me a while after my cancer to get my mojo back so to speak and I had to come to terms with the fact that the old gray mare just ain't what she used to be. So I got smart and I got more patient with my limitations and I learned that if I kept swimming, so to speak, that I can adapt and find different ways to accomplish my goals. It's all about coming to terms with your new "abilities" and not getting frustrated with your limitations. So GO to Disney and ENJOY it. Be smart with that touring plan and take the time to smell the roses and don't be afraid to slow down and take it all in on the slow track. I just love the way that Disney also has so many things for people who don't want to be on the theme park death march. This is your trip. You are going to have a great time! All you have to do is realize that it's going to be great just being there. The rest is gravy!!!

Good luck with your trip. Tell mom not to worry if she has any set backs as they are bound to happen. Just tell her that Dory says to "Just keep swimming" and she will get there. No worrying either... it doesn't do any good and all the stuff you worry about never happens anyway.

:hug:
~NM

Thank you for the reply.

We typically use Ridemax with fantastic results. What I have decided to do this trip (which will be my Mom's first ever trip to Disney World) is take it easy. Try to hit a few headliners and fun shows at each park. Take a mid day break etc. I want to try to spend more time at the YC myself. I enjoyed our short stay there in 2012 but didn't have a whole lot of time to enjoy the complex itself. This year I plan to. :) Club level is awesome!

My family has our favorite rides and shows and we should be able to do them without problems and still have plenty of time for the resort without killing ourselves like past trips. LOL my mom is the only wildcard this trip - really not sure what's going to happen with or without a scooter.

On another note, Our Disney Welcome package came in the mail today. Yippee! I have never gotten one of these before. Since our trip in 2012 to the YC was so quickly thrown together I don't think we received one. It's really neat with all of the dates for making ADRs ad booking the new FP+ stuff. Very informative.

I have a question for recent guests of the Yacht & Beach Club. I never received a survey after our July trip. We were room only- not a package.

If you have stayed in the past 6 months can you make a quick post saying if you received a survey, if you were a room only booking or package and how the survey came (email or by mail)

The surveys are really important, and the managers at Disney do review the information closely. Please make sure you give your feedback about your vacation. What, or who, helped make your trip special? How could your stay have been improved?

Thanks!

We received no survey (room only). But we only stayed there two weeks ago, so it's possible we still could. Got no surveys for our December and October stays, either, though (other resorts).

One more week until we are back at the Beach Club. Really looking forward to celebrating 42 years with Jim. :lovestruc

Thank you for the information and the kind words. I will check out Apple scooter. I was looking on the disney site and their prices seemed high per day.

Yes, Disney's onsite prices for scooter rental are very high. I think the rental for a week was about the same as 2 days in the parks. They delivered right to the resort and when we left, we were able to leave with bell services who held it for pick up since Apple is one of the approved vendors.

Also, during busy times is is possible the parks could run out of scooters to rent. By getting her own, we never had to worry. Never had any issues with battery life either. Plenty of room in the room as well for her to park and charge each night.

Hello all. The Kruppas will be at BCV 4/2-4/9. Tracy celebrating 51 and DS Trish celebrating 48.

DH, DD and self back 6/28 ish to 7/10. Still finalizing plans as we have to do some college visits.

Pleas add us to you Be Our Guest list. Can't wait to be back again!!'

My first time posting over here. I've started to read through the thread, though, so any questions I have can wait - they've likely been answered already. We've visited WDW many times, but only stayed at AKL, the Poly, and the WL. I admit, I'm a bit nervous going out of my resort comfort zone.

We just got back from a week-long stay at AKV. I decided to book a bounce back offer for late August. I'm planning to take my mom and the three older kids. My mom's absolute favorite park is Epcot, so I knew I wanted to stay at one of the Epcot resorts. And since we'll be there in August, it seemed a no-brainer to have access to SAB. So, at least for now, since I haven't even asked her if she wants to go, we're booked to be at the YC in a SV CL room from August 17-23.

Back to reading and looking for pictures!

Ninja Mom's response to CSI007 is one of the best I've ever read. Great advice and so well and tender heartedly said.

ITA really good job NinjaMom :goodvibes

@Dee we have stayed at both YC and BC more than once and never received a survey. We did both RO and a package :confused3

I am DYING to try Spice Road. Fortunately, my daughter is curious, too, so it's on the list for our August (Beach Club!) trip. I don't know if she'll actually like the food (I think she more likes the *idea* of the food), but that's good enough for me! Anyone know what the waits are like? Is it crazy because it's new?

We walked right in last night at 5! No wait and tons of open tables! Food was delicious and sangria was wonderful! Highly recommend!

We updated our booking yesterday!

We're now staying 28th Sept - 5th Oct, BC GV CL still! Can't wait, 4 days earlier then planned! Could I be updated on the list :) x

Has anyone had any issues wearing the Magicband? I'm concerned that DD may take it off and loose it and that DH can't stand wearing a watch so how will he cope with a band.

Has anyone had any issues wearing the Magicband? I'm concerned that DD may take it off and loose it and that DH can't stand wearing a watch so how will he cope with a band.

The kids didn't take theirs off in the day, but did during the night. It was easy to forget to remind them to take them in the morning, like you would do with the cards. We all had MagicBand shaped tan lines too. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!