When to go in December?

FergieTCat

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
I received a PIN Code through December 16th. I would really like to visit in December this year. Please tell me about the crowds. The last time I visited in March, the parks were crowded and alot of the attractions had 1 hours wait times, even with using the FastPass.

I hear that the week after Thanksgiving is now busy because of the taping of the Christmas Parade. The week after that is Pop Warner. How busy are the parks during those two weeks?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

We went the Saturday through Tuesday after Thanksgiving year before last. Crowds were quite manageable and we loved all the decor. Enjoy!

We went the week of Dec. 8th in 2008, the same week as the Pop Warner superbowl. Our maximum wait time was at Toy Story Mania on a Saturday night of 35 minutes. All other attractions throughout the week were no longer than 15 minutes. Crowds were minimal, and we all had a blast. Hope this helps.

We like to go sometime during the first two weeks of Dec, avoiding Pop Warner of course. This year we are going down the weekend after Thanksgiving (starting that Sun. is value season) and staying until the following weekend. The weather is nice and cool, the crowds are low and the Christmas decorations are up, makes for a wonderful trip. :goodvibes

Have a fantastic time!:flower3:

Pop Warner is not the 'demon crowds' that will affect your visit as most people worry about. Most days they are usually busy over at the sports park and the few days they go to the parks still minimal disruption.
I go almost every year second week of December and find it a great time to go. Decorations are up, crowds are very manageable and the weather is nice.

We went pop warner week in 2008 and it didnt seem like very big crowds. We have also gone in April and it was MUCH more crowded in April. And its also not hot. The most we waited was about an hour for RnR

We like to go sometime during the first two weeks of Dec, avoiding Pop Warner of course. This year we are going down the weekend after Thanksgiving (starting that Sun. is value season) and staying until the following weekend. The weather is nice and cool, the crowds are low and the Christmas decorations are up, makes for a wonderful trip. :goodvibes

Have a fantastic time!:flower3:

That's when we're going!! We can't wait .... :)

We are going the last week of Nov and can't wait. We have been to disney many times but never over Christmas so I am super excited to see all the decorations. :) :)

The last 3 years we have gone the second week in December - Crowds have been great....only time we waited was Toy Story....

We went this past year Dec 12-16 (had that pin, too!:goodvibes) and the crowds were very reasonable except on the Saturday when they were pretty heavy. If you do that last week of the PIN, after Pop Warner, I think that's the best December/PIN time!

We go usually the 2nd week of December...its a great time. We have never had any issues with Pop Warner at all...

The second week of December is a great time to visit WDW. You avoid the Thanksgiving crowd and get there before the Christmas throngs. The closer you get to Christmas the more crowded it will be.

I am glad to hear the 1st and 2nd week in December is a good time to go. We are planning to go December 3-10 in 2011 and are hoping the crowds will be manageable. It will by my daughters' first time going.

Pop Warner is not the 'demon crowds' that will affect your visit as most people worry about. Most days they are usually busy over at the sports park and the few days they go to the parks still minimal disruption.
I go almost every year second week of December and find it a great time to go. Decorations are up, crowds are very manageable and the weather is nice.

yes they are jk. I actually never notice them in the parks but I can say I'd rather not stay at the same resort did it once never again.

We went the Saturday through Tuesday after Thanksgiving year before last. Crowds were quite manageable and we loved all the decor. Enjoy!

Just my two cents, this would be the best choice. We went this time in '07, it was about perfect. In '09 we went the next week, it was BAD, BAD. Crowds were terrible. Thankfully we have little ones so the ride waits were very small, although still longer than in '07. I know the rides for older kids were long and just walking through the parks it was so crowded. Not sure it had anything to do with Pop Warner, it may have been the free dining offered last year.

I received a PIN Code through December 16th. I would really like to visit in December this year. Please tell me about the crowds. The last time I visited in March, the parks were crowded and alot of the attractions had 1 hours wait times, even with using the FastPass.

I hear that the week after Thanksgiving is now busy because of the taping of the Christmas Parade. The week after that is Pop Warner. How busy are the parks during those two weeks?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The parade has been taped the first week in December since I was going in 2000. That has not changed the crowds.

What has changed in the last few years, is a special run by the Travel Channel a few years ago called "Disney on a Dime" that cleary told people the week after Thanksgiving is the best bang for your buck to go... drats. That's my week.

Last year, it picked up even more because of the 4/3 deal and FD being extended. Still very manageble, but busier than when I started going ten years ago.

Sat/Sun avoide MK and DHS - do AK or Epcot. All the parks are good all week until the parade taping starts. Just take the train around to Frontierland and hang around the perimeter of the park until about 1:30 pm. Take the train back just as everyone from the parade taping is spilling into the parks.

It is a great week to go.

The second week in December, for PW, doesn't effect the parks, except some in the evenings when they are completed competition for the day. It does however effect where you stay - if you happen to be in the same resort as they are - you are in for a real doozie of a time. Been there, done that one year, never again.

Just my two cents, this would be the best choice. We went this time in '07, it was about perfect. In '09 we went the next week, it was BAD, BAD. Crowds were terrible. Thankfully we have little ones so the ride waits were very small, although still longer than in '07. I know the rides for older kids were long and just walking through the parks it was so crowded. Not sure it had anything to do with Pop Warner, it may have been the free dining offered last year.

It was because of the FD and 4/3 package being extended.

We had a pin code for the second week in December in 2007. The crowds were awful as Disney and comped tickets for the people affected by the hurricanes. Disney only gives out a set number of fast pass tickets per day per ride. Some rides all the fass pass tickets had been issued and the wait times were over an hour.

We are thinkin of December 11th - 19th this year.

We were at WDW Dec 10-19 this last year, and the crowds were fabulous the vast majority of the time. We didn't see wait times of much more than 10-20 minutes. Even if it showed a wait, it was often a walk-on.

We hit the parks EARLY and follow the Unofficial Guide/TGM park recomendations due to crowds and touring guides. Back to the hotel around noon as the crowds ramp up, then back later in the afternoon. So, I'm not sure how much of our wonderful time was just crowds or that plus our touring style, but we couldn't have asked for a better time!

Have a wonderful time! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter