What's considered normal in your home but weird in others?

Well, it wouldn't be weird in Canada, but I get the impression that taking your shoes off at the door when you enter someone's home in the US can be considered weird. I don't care if you think your shoes are clean. Trust me. They aren't. And no, I'm not just talking about if they are wet or muddy or snowy. I'm talking about all of the time. Now, if you had some medical reason that required you wearing shoes indoors, I would have no problem, but in general, we prefer people take their outdoor footwear off in our home.
I know lots of people who do this. My sister's husband is Japanese and it is very much a cultural taboo to wear outside shoes inside the house. They even have slippers in various sizes by the door for guests who do not want to walk around barefoot or in stocking feet. I have to admit their floors are very clean.

Another thing, until we started packing to move, we kept our tree up all year. People would ask why our Christmas Tree was still up in August. I would reply by telling them to look closer. Every single thing on that huge tree was Disney. There were ornaments and plushies covering every inch of that thing! I will always insist it is not a Christmas tree. It’s a Disney Tree. And I can’t wait to move so I can get my happy tree back. I‘ll admit, it’s a pain to clean, but worth it.
Not really odd here, but we still have a tree up too, but it’s been transformed to a Mardi Gras tree. But a lot of ppl do that here.

Lots of stuff already listed is normal in our house.
-Never wear outside shoes in the house- grew up this way. We have tile throughout and some family wear slippers inside but I prefer barefoot. With my job I go into lots of houses and it bothers me to leave my shoes on but there is NO WAY I am taking them off at some of the places I go 😖. I catch DH in the morning before work sometimes walking around with his boots on. I pounce quickly reminding him how gross that is.
- TP flap always in the front.
- Clothes hung in the same direction all on white hangers, kids long sleeve shirts/ dresses and my pants all on kid size hangers.
- No food or drinks in the bedrooms. Always been a rule growing up and it stuck. Makes sense- I don't want anything spilled and forgotten about or a ring left from a wet cup.
- Assigned cups. My dad used to wash his solo cup 🤦‍♀️. One day I found him a reusable solo looking cup- you would have thought I gave him a million dollars.

Well, it wouldn't be weird in Canada, but I get the impression that taking your shoes off at the door when you enter someone's home in the US can be considered weird. I don't care if you think your shoes are clean. Trust me. They aren't. And no, I'm not just talking about if they are wet or muddy or snowy. I'm talking about all of the time. Now, if you had some medical reason that required you wearing shoes indoors, I would have no problem, but in general, we prefer people take their outdoor footwear off in our home.

Ahh not weird. And removing shoes done by just about everyone I know.

Not really odd here, but we still have a tree up too, but it’s been transformed to a Mardi Gras tree. But a lot of ppl do that here.
A Mardi Gras tree, very cool!
Our teeny 2 ft tree is still up too. It's a happy peaceful thing during these times.

Towels only get used 1x then they get washed

We do the same, but IME it's not unusual. I only know two people personally that reuse towels.

If you don't like guests, requiring people in my family & friends in NC & friends in FL to remove their shoes in your home, is a good way to assure you won't have to worry about many people visiting. Wet, muddy & shoes worn on a farm are an obvious exception.

The thing we do that's not normal with people I know is eat all of our meals in the bedroom. There's a reason for that, but I won't go into the long story. Also, we never eat dinner before 9:30. Most of the time we eat at 10:00 or 10:30.

Lots of stuff already listed is normal in our house.
-Never wear outside shoes in the house- grew up this way. We have tile throughout and some family wear slippers inside but I prefer barefoot. With my job I go into lots of houses and it bothers me to leave my shoes on but there is NO WAY I am taking them off at some of the places I go 😖. I catch DH in the morning before work sometimes walking around with his boots on. I pounce quickly reminding him how gross that is.
- TP flap always in the front.
- Clothes hung in the same direction all on white hangers, kids long sleeve shirts/ dresses and my pants all on kid size hangers.
- No food or drinks in the bedrooms. Always been a rule growing up and it stuck. Makes sense- I don't want anything spilled and forgotten about or a ring left from a wet cup.
- Assigned cups. My dad used to wash his solo cup 🤦‍♀️. One day I found him a reusable solo looking cup- you would have thought I gave him a million dollars.
I wash solo cups too. :o

Right, but what does

No doubt, but what does that have to do with toilet paper? :rotfl2:While I'm there, I'll bring up the implications of washing solo cups - asking for a friend, of course. ;)
If we lived closer, we could share an appointment. They could help talk us through your TP ignorance & my extreme frugality. Now that I think about it, can I just piggyback on your appointment? I'm too cheap to pay. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter