What's considered normal in your home but weird in others?

We have the captions turned on whenever we’re watching anything on the TV.

We’re not hard-of-hearing. I just hate a really loud TV, & the way the background noises are on TV shows & movies, sometimes you miss little things that are said.

I work in TV and a major part of the job is making sure captioning is working....and if captions are not on at home I start to get panic attacks.....nice to know someone out there is making it worth it ;)

Do you mind if people are barefoot in your home then? I mainly wear Sketchers without socks.

I have one friend who is not Canadian or Asian, and she always asks us to remove our shoes. It is because of getting dirt or moisture on her nice refinished floors. I have to remember to throw a pair of socks in my pocket when I go over there because I never see any of them going barefoot, either. They are always in slippers or socks. These are the only folks I have ever known who do this. I agree that it is not common in the U.S.

A bookcase where we keep the urns of passed loved ones and dogs.

See, I didn't find this at all weird until I thought about it. We keep the ashes of my Mom, my uncle, and my maternal grandparents on a sideboard in the dining room. We jokingly refer to it as "The Shrine." As well as the urns, there are photographs, and on special occasions like the loved one's birthday or whatever we light a candle. So, um. Yeah. I guess that *is* a bit strange.

We take our shoes off usually... and we are all born and raised Amurricans.
I keep the captions on usually.
TP needs to feed over the top or I will switch it because I'm thoughtful and you clearly didn't mean for it to be the opposite way because that would mean you're crazy.
The weird thing we do is in the closet. My beloved hangs all the coats facing the incorrect direction. I may need an anxiolytic.

Do you mind if people are barefoot in your home then? I mainly wear Sketchers without socks.

I have one friend who is not Canadian or Asian, and she always asks us to remove our shoes. It is because of getting dirt or moisture on her nice refinished floors. I have to remember to throw a pair of socks in my pocket when I go over there because I never see any of them going barefoot, either. They are always in slippers or socks. These are the only folks I have ever known who do this. I agree that it is not common in the U.S.

I don’t mind people being barefoot. I’m always barefoot in my house. I do offer bootie covers, those blue thingies, if people really want to keep their shoes on. I also keep a few pairs of cheapo sealed hotel type slippers if that would make somebody more comfortable.

basically, I do everything I can to ease people into not wearing shoes in my house 😂

Well, it wouldn't be weird in Canada, but I get the impression that taking your shoes off at the door when you enter someone's home in the US can be considered weird. I don't care if you think your shoes are clean. Trust me. They aren't. And no, I'm not just talking about if they are wet or muddy or snowy. I'm talking about all of the time. Now, if you had some medical reason that required you wearing shoes indoors, I would have no problem, but in general, we prefer people take their outdoor footwear off in our home.
I take off my outdoor shoes and put on slippers that are indoor only. The only place I go barefoot is the shower (if I swam I would take them off). Everyone in our immediate family takes them off too.

I made a replica of the monster wreath from the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay in the Haunted Mansion. It won first place at the fair, so I’m pretty proud of the thing. I suppose it’s a weird thing to keep on the door all year, but we’re a Disney family. Most people accept that about us.

Hanging the toilet paper so it rolls out from the back.
This is my preferred way as well. My youngest tells me it is wrong all the time.

My daughter also finds it odd when I leave my shoes on when I am home. If I am doing a lot of housework and am on my feet I will put on my running shoes. I can't go completely barefoot due to plantar fascitis. I have crocks that I wear in the house.

Another thing, until we started packing to move, we kept our tree up all year. People would ask why our Christmas Tree was still up in August. I would reply by telling them to look closer. Every single thing on that huge tree was Disney. There were ornaments and plushies covering every inch of that thing! I will always insist it is not a Christmas tree. It’s a Disney Tree. And I can’t wait to move so I can get my happy tree back. I‘ll admit, it’s a pain to clean, but worth it.

We never eat at the table unless we have company. We eat together if we're all home, but we each have our place in the open plan living room and kitchen where we like to sit to eat our meals.

I tried a couple times to get us all eating at the table together because I read all the articles about how important it is for promoting family unity, but after 20 good years of marriage and two happy, healthy kids, I've just accepted that this is what works for us.

I work in TV and a major part of the job is making sure captioning is working....and if captions are not on at home I start to get panic attacks.....nice to know someone out there is making it worth it ;)

Count me in too. I have just a tad of hearing loss, but a really difficult time following any sort of accent. I love BBC and have basically transitioned to watching everything with CC because it's just easier to get all the side comments, etc. I also love the descriptions of the music and sound effects. "melancholic music" "insects trilling..."

Everyone's cups.. we all have cups that are kind of assigned and get annoyed if someone else uses by mistake.. we have glasses for guests etc but there are just a handful of cups that belong to certain family members

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter