What's considered normal in your home but weird in others?

My Mom used to always make Blueberry muffins when we had spaghetti. I carried on the tradition without ever questioning it. After about 10 years of marriage my spouse finally asked why I made them when we had spaghetti. It was as if there was a glitch in the matrix. I didn’t have an answer and was the first time it ever occurred to me that it was an odd pairing.

Hmm, maybe our dog bed island? We have 3 dogs and they have an entire large corner of the family room filled with 4 beds on a mismatched rug. There is also a blankie fort between the loveseat and ottoman for the one who likes to go in "his cave".

Our kids are grown but it feels like we are back in the toddler years with all the dog clutter.

Well, it wouldn't be weird in Canada, but I get the impression that taking your shoes off at the door when you enter someone's home in the US can be considered weird. I don't care if you think your shoes are clean. Trust me. They aren't. And no, I'm not just talking about if they are wet or muddy or snowy. I'm talking about all of the time. Now, if you had some medical reason that required you wearing shoes indoors, I would have no problem, but in general, we prefer people take their outdoor footwear off in our home.

My Mom used to always make Blueberry muffins when we had spaghetti. I carried on the tradition without ever questioning it. After about 10 years of marriage my spouse finally asked why I made them when we had spaghetti. It was as if there was a glitch in the matrix. I didn’t have an answer and was the first time it ever occurred to me that it was an odd pairing.

😂😂😂 Are you able to ask your mom how that started? Maybe it's like chili and cinnamon rolls?

We have the captions turned on whenever we’re watching anything on the TV.

We’re not hard-of-hearing. I just hate a really loud TV, & the way the background noises are on TV shows & movies, sometimes you miss little things that are said.

Also, I think it helped my kids when they were learning to read.

In our bedroom, at the end of our bed, we have a twin-size air mattress. We watch a lot of TV in our room as a family, & it gives everyone a place to sit. Additionally, our dog is now older, & he sleeps on it at night. And, w/o the air mattress at the foot of our bed, he can’t jump up on our bed anymore. He doesn’t get on our bed very often because he has the air mattress now, but, when he wants to, he jumps up on the air mattress first & then onto the bed.

Well, it wouldn't be weird in Canada, but I get the impression that taking your shoes off at the door when you enter someone's home in the US can be considered weird. I don't care if you think your shoes are clean. Trust me. They aren't. And no, I'm not just talking about if they are wet or muddy or snowy. I'm talking about all of the time. Now, if you had some medical reason that required you wearing shoes indoors, I would have no problem, but in general, we prefer people take their outdoor footwear off in our home.

Well, unless you're in an Asian community, then it wouldn't be considered weird in the U.S. :)

Well, unless you're in an Asian community, then it wouldn't be considered weird in the U.S. :)

Well, based on the weird/awkward looks that I get when I ask people to please remove their shoes at the door, I am of the assumption that it isn't necessarily all that common, especially in the nice weather days. I have lived in four different corners of the US and have received similar responses in each area from many people. I have also gone to people's homes, taken my shoes off at the door out of habit, and had them say, "Oh, we never take our shoes off in the house."

Shoes always off in the house.....my kids do it at their houses too because that is how they grew up.

And yes, an absurd amount of Disney things on display

We do both of these. Bread extra loaves when on sale, so freezer - yes.
My DH is under, I am over. It’s a race to the roll 😂

I will not cook eggs, they are disgusting.
Honestly, I didn't even know this was a thing before the DIS. It's one of a bunch of things I wouldn't know I was failing at if it wasn't for this board. :laughing:
We have the captions turned on whenever we’re watching anything on the TV.

We’re not hard-of-hearing. I just hate a really loud TV, & the way the background noises are on TV shows & movies, sometimes you miss little things that are said.

Also, I think it helped my kids when they were learning to read.

In our bedroom, at the end of our bed, we have a twin-size air mattress. We watch a lot of TV in our room as a family, & it gives everyone a place to sit. Additionally, our dog is now older, & he sleeps on it at night. And, w/o the air mattress at the foot of our bed, he can’t jump up on our bed anymore. He doesn’t get on our bed very often because he has the air mattress now, but, when he wants to, he jumps up on the air mattress first & then onto the bed.
We totally do this. We live in a condo and try to be really mindful of making noise. Keeping the volume low and the closed-captions on is perfect solution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter