What's considered normal in your home but weird in others?

I also hear my dad's voice in my ear...

"Sure it's warm in the car but what if you breakdown/have a flat and need to wait by the side of the road or walk? Bring the jacket (gloves, hat, etc)"
My mom always said that I didn’t have to wear the coat, etc. but that it needed to be in the car. So, I have a coat, hat, and gloves that stay in the car all winter. I hate wearing coats, especially while driving.

I never thought it was odd, but as my DS was growing up and his friends were ALWAYS at my house and I was feeding them more often than not, I learned that most of the boys didn't have a from scratch meal almost every night, and moreover, ate the same meals night after night. DS's BFF said his mom made pasta with jarred sauce most nights of the week. I'd go out of my mind if I didn't come up with different things to make and we had the same things over and over each week or night, for that matter. And, before anyone asks, we DO eat leftovers.

I also guess it was weird that I fed his friends all the time. When DS was at their houses and it came to dinner, he was sent to the living room while his friend and his family ate dinner. I couldn't imagine eating and not offering some to our guests, even if they were my DS's guests.

To the second part... WHAT?! I have heard of people who have gone out to eat and expected the guest kid to pay for their own meal (which is mind-boggling enough to me) but I could never even imagine someone making a kid (or anyone for that matter) sit in another room while we ate. That is absolutely shocking. Now that my kids are older teens to adults we don't make and eat dinner every single night (kids will cook for themselves or eat leftovers), but if there are any friends over (even last minute) I will make sure there is something for them to eat. But that's the same with any guest. Even if someone stops by unexpectedly I feel the need to feed them (or at least offer).

As for the first part, I remember my siblings having friends over who would go on and on about how good the food was or that they had never eaten this or that thing before. Obviously people eat and cook different types of meals, so I remember my mom asking "Oh, what do you usually have for dinner?" and one friend said the only food they had in their house was cereal. They ate cereal in their bedroom every single night. The only time they had a "hot" meal was school lunch or if they went out for fast food.

To the second part... WHAT?! I have heard of people who have gone out to eat and expected the guest kid to pay for their own meal (which is mind-boggling enough to me) but I could never even imagine someone making a kid (or anyone for that matter) sit in another room while we ate. That is absolutely shocking. Now that my kids are older teens to adults we don't make and eat dinner every single night (kids will cook for themselves or eat leftovers), but if there are any friends over (even last minute) I will make sure there is something for them to eat. But that's the same with any guest. Even if someone stops by unexpectedly I feel the need to feed them (or at least offer).

As for the first part, I remember my siblings having friends over who would go on and on about how good the food was or that they had never eaten this or that thing before. Obviously people eat and cook different types of meals, so I remember my mom asking "Oh, what do you usually have for dinner?" and one friend said the only food they had in their house was cereal. They ate cereal in their bedroom every single night. The only time they had a "hot" meal was school lunch or if they went out for fast food.
See what I mean? It's sad how some people live. I'm glad that we were able to provide meals to their friends when their parents didn't think they could, or should, provide for ours. It was weird ordering pizza when they weren't all here. Instead of 4 pizzas, we'd only order 1 or 2.

See what I mean? It's sad how some people live. I'm glad that we were able to provide meals to their friends when their parents didn't think they could, or should, provide for ours. It was weird ordering pizza when they weren't all here. Instead of 4 pizzas, we'd only order 1 or 2.
My parents had the rule that you ask first before inviting friends (and majority of the time I did..as kids do sometimes I would do the whole better to ask for forgiveness later lol). But still we'd never dream of having a friend go into another room much less not also providing some food. I guess that's where the asking before you invite first comes into play but geez. All of our parents would feed the kids and their friends. We weren't like an army of friends usually just 3 of us total (the kid and 2 friends) but yeah. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable going over to a friends house if that's how I knew it would go down. I feel for your kid

We have one television upstairs (that might be watched an hour a week) and one downstairs. Seems like most people I know have one in every bedroom and multiple living spaces.

Yeah, that is definitely unusual. We only own 2 tvs. The main one in the great room downstairs and then a smaller one in the office/guest bedroom that literally only gets turned on when we have visitors. My teens don't ever watch TV. Which is also weird...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter