What makes the Cabanas so great?

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
So I know the Cabanas at Castaway Cay are very sought after and people seem to really love them. I’m wondering why? I’ve been to the island twice so far and haven’t had one. I’ve enjoyed the beach, went in the water and relaxed in a hammock. I’ll be in concierge for my honeymoon so I could book it, I’m just wondering if it’s really worth the cost?

So I know the Cabanas at Castaway Cay are very sought after and people seem to really love them. I’m wondering why? I’ve been to the island twice so far and haven’t had one. I’ve enjoyed the beach, went in the water and relaxed in a hammock. I’ll be in concierge for my honeymoon so I could book it, I’m just wondering if it’s really worth the cost?
Only you can decide if it's "worth the cost". You have you own separate space with concierge service while on Castaway Cay. You get tube/float rentals, stocked fridge. Private shower, cool towels. A place out of the sun, if you wish. Also out of the rain (if it does that).

Been to Castaway 10 times plus, been the the beach most of the time, had Cabanas 4/5.

For a family.

Our private area.
Food, drink, you can move around, inside outside beach hammock, it's free movement and not worrying about someone moving your stuff, - it occurs, not worrying about loosing shade, not worrying about your valuables as there is a safe.

A less crowded beach, easy walk as a family to cookies and leaving stuff out, we went for cycle rides, included, so in theory off the cost, we used tubes etc, again a cost saving.

The concierge hosts looked after us. The snacks, fruit and drinks were included so again a cost saving.

Main thing is freedom, on the beach, we would find a place, always in person stayed back to look after our stuff, you may find shade but loose it as the sun moved.

Everything at Castaway is lovely but it's freedom to do what you want.

Been to Castaway 10 times plus, been the the beach most of the time, had Cabanas 4/5.

For a family.

Our private area.
Food, drink, you can move around, inside outside beach hammock, it's free movement and not worrying about someone moving your stuff, - it occurs, not worrying about loosing shade, not worrying about your valuables as there is a safe.

A less crowded beach, easy walk as a family to cookies and leaving stuff out, we went for cycle rides, included, so in theory off the cost, we used tubes etc, again a cost saving.

The concierge hosts looked after us. The snacks, fruit and drinks were included so again a cost saving.

Main thing is freedom, on the beach, we would find a place, always in person stayed back to look after our stuff, you may find shade but loose it as the sun moved.

Everything at Castaway is lovely but it's freedom to do what you want.

Although you could bring bags of chips off on your own, grab some extra and some fruit at lunch, and the included drinks are sodas and water - NOT alcoholic drinks. So you're really not saving anything there. Unless you're an "I must have bottled water" person, then you would have to buy your own.

For the cabanas on Serenity Bay, you are NOT directly on the beach - you're behind a row of bushes and the chairs and umbrellas. So the "private" beach is a moot point.

Although you could bring bags of chips off on your own, grab some extra and some fruit at lunch, and the included drinks are sodas and water - NOT alcoholic drinks. So you're really not saving anything there. Unless you're an "I must have bottled water" person, then you would have to buy your own.

For the cabanas on Serenity Bay, you are NOT directly on the beach - you're behind a row of bushes and the chairs and umbrellas. So the "private" beach is a moot point.
Than response seems rather heated and I am really not that sure why? :confused:

Only posted my " personal " experience?

Not heated. Just pointing out that those things are already included for everyone. And that alcoholic drinks are not since "drinks are included" could be interpreted as including alcoholic drinks.

Just to let you know capitals like "NOT" is considered shouting on forums, there was no need for it in anyway whatsoever.

I posted my personal experience, feels a few here just like to split a few hairs. I really do not need to go into that finer detail. Would you wish I specified the fruit! Apple orange? I gave my opinion from real experience.

I guess out if the responses so far, I am the only cruiser to actually has had a cabana, so did respond from real life experience rather than general comments, based on theory.

Splitting hairs and jumping on posters here, by a few prolific posters, is clearly the cause why this forum has gone very quiet but social media is very busy?

Just to let you know capitals like "NOT" is considered shouting on forums, there was no need for it in anyway whatsoever.

I posted my personal experience, feels a few here just like to split a few hairs. I really do not need to go into that finer detail. Would you wish I specified the fruit! Apple orange? I gave my opinion from real experience.

I guess out if the responses so far, I am the only cruiser to actually has had a cabana, so did respond from real life experience rather than general comments, based on theory.

Splitting hairs and jumping on posters here, by a few prolific posters, is clearly the cause why this forum has gone very quiet but social media is very busy?

It can also be used for emphasis when it is only one word.

I have had a cabana once on Serenity Bay. So I do know what is included that is beyond what cruisers who don't get cabanas get - and food/beverage wise that is only bottled water.

I have also been on Serenity Bay without a cabana and was able to have snacks and fruit (the fruit after lunch) and sodas for no charge.

Again, it was not jumping on. But pointing out that alcoholic beverages are in fact not included when someone has stated "drinks are included" with no clarification that it is sodas and water and not alcoholic drinks is hardly splitting hairs.

We've been to CC three times. Twice we had a cabana and once we did not. When DD was napping, the cabana was great because she could just curl up on the sofa and sleep there rather than one of us going back to the ship. I personally loved having a hammock all my own. (Well, after I told my dad he couldn't claim it for the WHOLE day. Ha!)

Honestly, the perk I liked best was the new bathroom the second time we went. I hate gym/pool/beach bathrooms because I can just FEEL the fungus in them. I'm not a germaphobe, but bathrooms that are always damp make my skin crawl. The new bathroom in the cabana area was way less busy and didn't have that damp feeling.

I found that the drink service was just as good on the beach, and we never ate the chips and such in the Cabana anyway. We picked a great spot on the family family beach so we were actually closer to the amenities like Cookies, autographs, and the Character Dance Party.

For us, the cabanas aren't worth it right now. Perhaps when my parents get older, we will consider getting one again.

A Cabana rental is more of an experience than simply a list of amenities. It’s a private retreat on a busy island.
It’s a home base for your family to experience Castaway Cay. It’s a shelter from the sun and possible rain with a ceiling fan, piped in music, cushioned chairs inside, cushioned loungers outside on your private shade sail covered deck with a beautiful view of a fairly private stretch of beach. A hammock for your cabana’s use, no need to worry about trying to “save” one or even secure one on the public beach. You are on a private beach for the Cabanas on Family Beach.

Inside the 325 square foot cabana is a stocked refrigerator with soft drinks, water, and damp cool face clothes. A fruit basket and snack basket is also provided. These are packaged snacks such as chips and granola type bars. Lunch is not served on the island until 11:30, so it is nice to have access to these snacks for the littles from the moment you decide to check in to your cabana. Run out of snacks, bottles of water or soft drinks? Push a button and your cabana host will arrive to see to your needs like a genie. Want an adult drink? Press the button and your cabana host will be there to take your drink order.

Inside the cabana is a curtained off area that makes it possible to change into your swimwear. It’s also nice to be able to slip out a wet swimsuit and into dry clothing as you continue to enjoy your day. This curtained area is also a nice place to put a little one down for a nap, where is it a little darker and more private. Need more privacy? Just close the windows on your cabana. The whole front area of the cabana facing the beach can also be closed off if a quick shower blows up, which it frequently does in the Bahamas. If it does rain, you can wait it out in the cabana while, others on the beach run for the ship. Once the storm blows over, just open your windows and door and get on with enjoying Castaway Cay while the other beach goers have exited the island for the ship.

There is a safe to lock up your valuables and an electrical outlet for charging your electronics. A basket of sunscreen and magazines is also in the cabin. The same bag of sand toys sold in the gift shop is provided for your enjoyment. Your are free to take the toys, sunscreen, remaining snacks and drinks with you when you return to the ship.

A fresh water shower is located on your deck with a stack of upgraded towels inside. Need more towels? Press the button and ask your cabana host.

Equipment rental snorkel gear and floats rentals are included. These rentals are normally $49.00 per person. There are large stacks of both swim rings and lounge floats available next to the cabana.

A private “taxi” service is just the push of the cabana host button away. The golf cart taxi will take you anywhere you’d like to go - Pelican Plunge, Cookies BBQ, Gift Shop, Conched Out Bar, Monstro Point, a ride back to the trams - just punch the magic cabana host button. If you are over 18, the taxi service can take you to Serenity Bay, the adult beach area.

There are tables in the cabana if you’d like to dine in your cabana. No need to dine at the sometimes crowded Cookies BBQ, just fix your plates amd bring them back to your private cabana. This works out great if people in your cabana are doing different excursions and get hungry at different times. You can also bring back fruit, cookies and the like to enjoy all afternoon in your cabana.

Fill your soda cup with ice cream, bring it back to the cabana, open one of the soft drinks from your private refrigerator and make floats that you can enjoy while reclining on your cushioned lounge chair on your shaded deck while someone naps on the couch under the ceiling fan inside your private cabana and someone else is napping on your private hammock.

When you are ready to return to the ship (or when they tell you it’s time to go), rinse the sand and salt water off in your private outdoor shower, pack up your gear and remaining snacks, drinks, fruit, sand toys and sunscreen and your “taxi” take you away.

Yes, it’s an expensive splurge that nobody really needs, sort of like a cruise. Whether it’s “worth it” depends on each groups wants and needs. If you need a secure home base out of the sun with ability to have a private curtained area for napping or changing that allows you to extend the amount of time you can spend on this magical island of Castaway Cay, then it’s worth considering.

Last edited:
The Cabanas in Serenity Bay really didn't seem all that private or worth it to me, though of course with the caveat that I've never used one. We were up towards them to get the benefit of shade from a few palm trees and I had the "pleasure" of a family sitting out the entire day in chairs in front of their cabana talking loudly about how wonderful concierge is and how they could never go back to cruising "like normal people." If I wasn't so busy being comfy in the sun for hundreds less I might have given them a piece of my mind but also why bother engaging people like that?

But at any rate on Serenity Bay at least bear in mind you will be about 10 feet away from the commoners who will be able to hear everything you say should you chose it! :listen::joker: It seems like the Family Beach has a much better experience.

Personal opinion here. We had one on Serenity Bay last time we went to CC. It was nice and all, but to me it's not "worth" the cost. I mean, it's about the cost of a hotel room and we just used it for a few hours. But yeah, a nice splurge, too. If I was going back and knew I could book one I'm honestly not sure that I would. I think we spent more time in there just to justify the cost. I don't think we had a better time than when we were on CC and didn't have one. I'm not saying it's not nice. I just don't understand all the hype I guess.

ETA- I'm also not sure I wouldn't book one. This is actually something I've been thinking about and honestly I just can't seem to justify the cost. (And this is coming from someone who pretty much always has no trouble justifying paying for CL rooms every time we go to WDW). If it was my honeymoon I'd book it.

Let's remember we are all entitled to our opinions and are certainly welcome to share them here, along with our experiences. All information can be helpful to someone so lets keep it friendly and help others out.

I live in Colorado. We have no ocean or beaches (other than the sand dunes ) and we really miss the beach and dream about a beach day for year and a half in anticipation of the cruise. We Absolutely love having a cabana because it allows us the escapism we dream about at the beach. Some people book excursions at ports and for us, a cabana as an excursion makes our extremely infrequent beach days a lot of fun for us. Some people like to do water sports on their beach day, or go on the waterslide, and for us, we just love being at the cabana. There are opinions across the board about what makes a fun vacation, and for us, the cabana is fun :). We will often forgo excursions at other ports though, so it really comes down to what makes your vacation fun for you! :)

Yep, that's why I disregard any statements of "cost savings" re: the cabanas...it's a cruise, and Disney treats the food service on CC the same as on the ship. Your basic foods and drinks are already included. Sodas and fruit can be had at the service locations on the island for no additional cost, and as you point out, alcohol is an extra charge whether or not you've got the cabana. So it is misleading to see "drinks are included" listed as a perk without clarifying that it doesn't include any drinks you can't get from the buffet.

A Cabana rental is more of an experience than simply a list of amenities. It’s a private retreat on a busy island.
It’s a home base for your family to experience Castaway Cay. It’s a shelter from the sun and possible rain with a ceiling fan, piped in music, cushioned chairs inside, cushioned loungers outside on your private shade sail covered deck with a beautiful view of a fairly private stretch of beach. A hammock for your cabana’s use, no need to worry about trying to “save” one or even secure one on the public beach. You are on a private beach for the Cabanas on Family Beach.

Sorry for the snip; I just wanted to agree with this specific point--if one finds value in renting a cabana, it's probably the value of the overall experience. That makes it harder to make an "objective" judgment on the matter; in that way it's similar to the question of whether concierge is "worth it." In both cases you can get many of the same basic amenities for less money, because even when the included food/drinks aren't available for free elsewhere, it's still going to be cheaper to buy them individually than to shell out for the full service.

Personally, I do not see $500 worth of value in a cabana rental, because the overall experience doesn't appeal to me enough to justify the price tag. The amenities like food and drink don't even really enter into it. Others' opinions differ; for many I'm sure the increased privacy and increased level of service are enough to make it feel like a good value.

Inside the 325 square foot cabana is a stocked refrigerator with soft drinks, water, and damp cool face clothes. A fruit basket and snack basket is also provided. These are packaged snacks such as chips and granola type bars. Lunch is not served on the island until 11:30, so it is nice to have access to these snacks for the littles from the moment you decide to check in to your cabana. Run out of snacks, bottles of water or soft drinks? Push a button and your cabana host will arrive to see to your needs like a genie. Want an adult drink? Press the button and your cabana host will be there to take your drink order.

Inside the cabana is a curtained off area that makes it possible to change into your swimwear. It’s also nice to be able to slip out a wet swimsuit and into dry clothing as you continue to enjoy your day. This curtained area is also a nice place to put a little one down for a nap, where is it a little darker and more private. Need more privacy? Just close the windows on your cabana. The whole front area of the cabana facing the beach can also be closed off if a quick shower blows up, which it frequently does in the Bahamas. If it does rain, you can wait it out in the cabana while, others on the beach run for the ship. Once the storm blows over, just open your windows and door and get on with enjoying Castaway Cay while the other beach goers have exited the island for the ship.

There is a safe to lock up your valuables and an electrical outlet for charging your electronics. A basket of sunscreen and magazines is also in the cabin. The same bag of sand toys sold in the gift shop is provided for your enjoyment. Your are free to take the toys, sunscreen, remaining snacks and drinks with you when you return to the ship.

A fresh water shower is located on your deck with a stack of upgraded towels inside. Need more towels? Press the button and ask your cabana host.

Equipment rental snorkel gear and floats rentals are included. These rentals are normally $49.00 per person. There are large stacks of both swim rings and lounge floats available next to the cabana.

A private “taxi” service is just the push of the cabana host button away. The golf cart taxi will take you anywhere you’d like to go - Pelican Plunge, Cookies BBQ, Gift Shop, Conched Out Bar, Monstro Point, a ride back to the trams - just punch the magic cabana host button. If you are over 18, the taxi service can take you to Serenity Bay, the adult beach area.

There are tables in the cabana if you’d like to dine in your cabana. No need to dine at the sometimes crowded Cookies BBQ, just fix your plates amd bring them back to your private cabana. This works out great if people in your cabana are doing different excursions and get hungry at different times. You can also bring back fruit, cookies and the like to enjoy all afternoon in your cabana.

Fill your soda cup with ice cream, bring it back to the cabana, open one of the soft drinks from your private refrigerator and make floats that you can enjoy while reclining on your cushioned lounge chair on your shaded deck while someone naps on the couch under the ceiling fan inside your private cabana and someone else is napping on your private hammock.

When you are ready to return to the ship (or when they tell you it’s time to go), rinse the sand and salt water off in your private outdoor shower, pack up your gear and remaining snacks, drinks, fruit, sand toys and sunscreen and your “taxi” take you away.

Yes, it’s an expensive splurge that nobody really needs, sort of like a cruise. Whether it’s “worth it” depends on each groups wants and needs. If you need a secure home base out of the sun with ability to have a private curtained area for napping or changing that allows you to extend the amount of time you can spend on this magical island of Castaway Cay, then it’s worth considering.
This is very well said in my opinion and does a great job of pointing out what is included with a cabana rental.

We rent one every chance we get as we like this experience as part of our stay at castaway cay.

Last time I cruised we had a cabana on SB. It takes me 2-3 years to save up for a cruise. For me, it's not about the monetary value, it's about the experience. I don't calculate how much that cold towel cost, I just enjoy how it feels after coming in last on a hot 5K. If it wasn't in my budget, if I had to think about the money, I wouldn't enjoy it. Since I like the experience, I save for it. When it comes to my vacation, I splurge on what I enjoy (like Disney cruises!)
And you won't know if it is "worth it" to you unless you try it yourself. Since you are celebrating, if you can afford it, I would. If it makes it tight financially, enjoy your beach day without it. And congratulations!!

Last time I cruised we had a cabana on SB. It takes me 2-3 years to save up for a cruise. For me, it's not about the monetary value, it's about the experience. I don't calculate how much that cold towel cost, I just enjoy how it feels after coming in last on a hot 5K. If it wasn't in my budget, if I had to think about the money, I wouldn't enjoy it. Since I like the experience, I save for it. When it comes to my vacation, I splurge on what I enjoy (like Disney cruises!)
And you won't know if it is "worth it" to you unless you try it yourself. Since you are celebrating, if you can afford it, I would. If it makes it tight financially, enjoy your beach day without it. And congratulations!!

I think that's a great way to look at it. I do all of my "value" calculations before I go, and once it's built into the budget, I don't question it once I'm on the trip or worry about what such-and-so thing is specifically costing me. From an objective cost/value standpoint I've paid "too much" for some things on some trips (I'm pretty sure Napa Rose in DL was the most expensive dinner I've ever eaten), but if it was what I wanted to do and I could save the money for it...why not? Just because the idea of a cabana doesn't do it for me doesn't mean anyone else is wrong if they decide it's the experience they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter