What makes the Cabanas so great?

We've been to Castaway twice and had a cabana once. It was nice having our own space to lounge with shade and there wasn't as much crowds, however, the beach was nicer in the general family beach then right in front of our cabana.

Agree with this. When we had a cabana, the tide went out so badly you could hardly wade at the beach area in front of the cabanas. IMHO, they really need to dredge that area out more. The area at the family beach gets deeper and is not as affected by the tide going out.

Agree with this. When we had a cabana, the tide went out so badly you could hardly wade at the beach area in front of the cabanas. IMHO, they really need to dredge that area out more. The area at the family beach gets deeper and is not as affected by the tide going out.

The lower numbered family cabanas are better for this. We usually try to get 2, 3, or 4.

This is very well said in my opinion and does a great job of pointing out what is included with a cabana rental.

We rent one every chance we get as we like this experience as part of our stay at castaway cay.

I would add that a cabana comes in very handy if you do the 5K. There is a shower right outside your cabana where you can rinse off afterwards before settling in for the day. You can also rinse off the sand when you come off the beach before relaxing in the cabana.

We are getting our first cabana on our sailing next week. For us it was worth it. There are 8 of us. My parents have health issues and could not spend that much time in the sun. The cost worked out to about $50/person which would be the cost of snorkel gear and floats so the price was a wash as we were planning on renting those anyway. I'm not sure I would try for a cabana if there were only my immediate family of 3 as we would spend more time in the ocean and less time in the cabana. But with older people with health issues, the golf cart service alone will be worth it.

I think the "is it worth it" question has many factors that only you can answer. Some like the pampering, some like the privacy, some like the shade. It depends upon how you plan on spending your time on the island. If you are big ocean or excursion people, probably not right for you. If you are more relaxing in the sun (or shade) people, that may move it to the more worth it pile. Would this be a great memory for a honeymoon or other special occasion? Do you have something else you would rather spend the money on? More people to split the cost with? All of these depend upon your personal preference and budget. I don't think one is better or worse than the other, just different.

It would generally not be worth it to us because we spend too much of our time actually in the water. But don't snorkel. And we don't need the physical space. But if there were two ships in that day, that would make all the difference.

It would generally not be worth it to us because we spend too much of our time actually in the water. But don't snorkel. And we don't need the physical space. But if there were two ships in that day, that would make all the difference.
They have two ships in at once? I thought it was only one ship per day?

I know people have talked about multiples in older cruise reports. Nice to hear that's not a current thing to worry about. The crowds can still be an issue when it's one of the two larger ships, so depending on how long you want to wait in line for food, or how certain you want to be about getting a hammock, that's an argument for the cabana too. My husband prefers to stick to the smallest possible ships but someday I'd like to experience a larger one.

I know people have talked about multiples in older cruise reports. Nice to hear that's not a current thing to worry about. The crowds can still be an issue when it's one of the two larger ships, so depending on how long you want to wait in line for food, or how certain you want to be about getting a hammock, that's an argument for the cabana too. My husband prefers to stick to the smallest possible ships but someday I'd like to experience a larger one.

Sometimes other ships are close by. We could see the Dream when on CC with the Magic last fall. But, there is no room for a second ship to dock, and if a ship is docked, there is no place to offload a tender.

Seriously considering trying to rent a cabana for our late December 2019 cruise. Here's an oddball question inspired by the clarification that only non-alcoholic beverages are included: If we bring wine onboard with us, would we be able to bring it off the ship and enjoy it in the cabana? Would there be a corkage fee?

And now I have a few more questions: What is the customary amount/method to tip the attendant? (Cash only, I'm assuming?)

A few previous posters mentioned the Castaway Cay 5K. Is it possible to leave a change of clothes with a cabana attendant prior to the run? It sounds wonderful to be able to change out of our running gear and begin our beach day in the shelter of a cabana right after the race!

Not a clue about the wine - my guess would be not allowed off the ship. But I don't know for sure.

I tipped $20. It's highly personal and I would think would depend on how much you used them.

There is a drop box anyone doing the "alleged 5K" (it has always measured shorter for me) to leave stuff in. You would not really have time to go to the check-in point for the cabanas (assuming anyone was even there) and back before the start.

Seriously considering trying to rent a cabana for our late December 2019 cruise. Here's an oddball question inspired by the clarification that only non-alcoholic beverages are included: If we bring wine onboard with us, would we be able to bring it off the ship and enjoy it in the cabana? Would there be a corkage fee?

We took a few beers that we brought onboard to our cabana and it was no issue whatsoever. I've also read of people bringing champagne and asking ahead to have OJ in the frig to make mimosas. I have no idea about the corkage fee, but your stateroom host will bring you a corkscrew so you could just open it yourself.

So I know the Cabanas at Castaway Cay are very sought after and people seem to really love them. I’m wondering why? I’ve been to the island twice so far and haven’t had one. I’ve enjoyed the beach, went in the water and relaxed in a hammock. I’ll be in concierge for my honeymoon so I could book it, I’m just wondering if it’s really worth the cost?

We paid 400$ for one on Serenity Bay for our first family trip because my FIL has problems with his knees and it was easier this way. We have no regrets and I think it's worth it when you are a group and can split the cost but I don't think it would be worth 400$ for two.

We are getting our first cabana on our sailing next week. For us it was worth it. There are 8 of us. My parents have health issues and could not spend that much time in the sun. The cost worked out to about $50/person which would be the cost of snorkel gear and floats so the price was a wash as we were planning on renting those anyway. I'm not sure I would try for a cabana if there were only my immediate family of 3 as we would spend more time in the ocean and less time in the cabana. But with older people with health issues, the golf cart service alone will be worth it.

I think the "is it worth it" question has many factors that only you can answer. Some like the pampering, some like the privacy, some like the shade. It depends upon how you plan on spending your time on the island. If you are big ocean or excursion people, probably not right for you. If you are more relaxing in the sun (or shade) people, that may move it to the more worth it pile. Would this be a great memory for a honeymoon or other special occasion? Do you have something else you would rather spend the money on? More people to split the cost with? All of these depend upon your personal preference and budget. I don't think one is better or worse than the other, just different.

Well said. When we were thinking of taking my Mom with us to Castaway Cay I thought that a cabana would definitely be worth it for her. When it's just us, not so much, but it's nice. We ended up going to Alaska on that cruise, so obviously a cabana was a non-issue.

We paid 400$ for one on Serenity Bay for our first family trip because my FIL has problems with his knees and it was easier this way. We have no regrets and I think it's worth it when you are a group and can split the cost but I don't think it would be worth 400$ for two.

Yep. It really depends on who is going on how they plan to spend their time.

Personally? I think if you can get it, it’s absolutely worth it. We snagged one on Serenity Bay earlier this month, and since @suedon70 and I are quite pale of face (ha!) it was a nice respite from the sun. We did use the floats to go out into the water for a while, but for the most part, we alternated between the loungers outside and the chairs inside. And, when split between three people, the cost is TOTALLY worth it. I say try it!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter