What Does YOUR DCL magnetic door sign look like? With other great tips for your sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
StuartMI said:
Good luck in keeping your secret! I know it will be tough. :goodvibes It certainly looks like you have more than enough info to fill up a door totally. Have fun and take pics!

Thank you. We sure will have a lot to be thankful for on our "wonder"ful vacation this year.

:flower:

jpmom said:
We are cruising for the first time in November.

This is the first I've ever heard of the door sign thing.

What exactly is it for? Just for fun???

Do most folks have them???

Thanks!

For fun ... to identify fellow DISers.

On my cruise last September I didn't see any signs except for the ones I made for my door and my son's door ... but I didn't check all the stateroom doors.

jpmom said:
We are cruising for the first time in November.

This is the first I've ever heard of the door sign thing.

What exactly is it for? Just for fun???

Do most folks have them???

Thanks!
Having the sign helps you to find your stateroom better as all the doors look alike. It also lets other DISers know where and who you are as well. If you decide to make a sign, be sure to post it on this thread! We'd love to see it.

BTW, are there any more signs needed to be posted on this thread out there? Of course there are! Let's see what you've got!

Thanks for the ideas and the info. I wish I knew how to post my Word documents so I could show what I have created so far! :flower:

ImMarcik said:
All the signs look great. I can't wait to work on mine. We are going on our cruise for our 7 year anniversary and over Thanksgiving. So, I plan on doing a sign for each. I really want the anniversary sign to be a surprise, but we shall see if I can keep it from DH hehe.

My door signs were a surprise! I carried them in a folder in a "carry-on" bag. Once on ship, we went straight to lunch. While my family was in the buffet line, I excused myself to the restroom and took the bag with me. I ran as fast as I could to find our room and placed them on the door.

After everyone finished lunch, we all walked as a family to our room. It was great to see everyones surprised faces. :flower:

tchoney said:
My door signs were a surprise! I carried them in a folder in a "carry-on" bag. Once on ship, we went straight to lunch. While my family was in the buffet line, I excused myself to the restroom and took the bag with me. I ran as fast as I could to find our room and placed them on the door.

After everyone finished lunch, we all walked as a family to our room. It was great to see everyones surprised faces. :flower:

Thank you for the reply. I just had this picture of me running with these signs. I've never been on the ship before so I have no idea if I would even know where I am going. Maybe I could pull this off. :cool1:

tchoney said:

Do you have a picture of them to post? :banana:

Okay,

I have to admit I haven't sailed on DCL in awhile, so this is the first I have heard of the door magnets....but, I love the idea! I'll be sailing the Wonder in Feb. and I would like to make one too! I have a Disney printshop type program in my computer, so images and fonts aren't a problem. But, how does one turn that stuff into a actual magnet? I saw someone post something about magnetic paper? Where do you get that and how does that stuff work?
I guess I need to know what are the steps to making these things as I have plenty of time to do it in.
By the way, ya'lls pictures of yours look great!

Thanks,
Mmketeer :earsgirl:

Mmketeer said:
Okay,

I have to admit I haven't sailed on DCL in awhile, so this is the first I have heard of the door magnets....but, I love the idea! I'll be sailing the Wonder in Feb. and I would like to make one too! I have a Disney printshop type program in my computer, so images and fonts aren't a problem. But, how does one turn that stuff into a actual magnet? I saw someone post something about magnetic paper? Where do you get that and how does that stuff work?
I guess I need to know what are the steps to making these things as I have plenty of time to do it in.
By the way, ya'lls pictures of yours look great!

Thanks,
Mmketeer :earsgirl:
I found some magnetic paper at WalMart, in the office supplies area. There is also a website (I will have to find it and post later) where you can mail-order some. I have some of each. The paper fromn the website is 4 or 5 mil compared to the 2 mil from WalMart. I like them both but they can be pricey.

Wal-Mart price is approximately $7.50 for 5 sheets. (matted)

Office Depot price is approximately $15.50 for 5 sheets (glossy)

You can also go to Amazon.com and search for magnet sheets or magnet strips.

I also make shirts to go with the door magnets. You can get the transfer sheets at the same stores for approximately the same price, but there are 15 transfer sheets in each package.

The magnet sheets go through ink jet printers very good. Should have no problem at all.

I made really cute magnets for our door and i accidently left them in our car!!!! :sad:

i used the program that came free with magnetic paper from a discount store but the problem i had was the magnetic paper catching in my laser printing so it would be crooked or cut off an end...i ruined half my paper that way...i think i will copy it out on reg paper this year and have it laminated then add magnetic tape!!!!

Great idea for running off during lunch...i think i will do that and surprise my family this year...if i don't forget them in the cae again!! :crazy:

:boat: I am so excited about this cruise,all I do is daydream about it! Your door signs are GREAT! Thanks for all the ideals and web sites.
This is a "girls only trip", no kids or husbands! So I going to do a door sign with only girl characters. Can't wait to get started got lots of time.
Our cruise is in December 2005.

DaisyMay said:
:boat: I am so excited about this cruise,all I do is daydream about it! Your door signs are GREAT! Thanks for all the ideals and web sites.
This is a "girls only trip", no kids or husbands! So I going to do a door sign with only girl characters. Can't wait to get started got lots of time.

Welcome Aboard the DIS DaisyMay and have great fun making your sign(s)!!!!! :goodvibes

taeja71 said:
Do you have a picture of them to post? :banana:

Yes, Below are my signs. I chose a character to fit each persons personality, hobby or interest and put their name beside...... I printed them on Photo Paper because it is a stronger paper. Carried them in a Folder in my "carry-on" bag. I purchased a roll of magnetic tape with adhesive from Wal-Mart, in the craft department for $.96. I cut 4 strips of the magnet and placed one on the top and bottom of each sign. They stuck to our doors beautifully!

f3ad2119.jpg

f3ad2118.jpg

Have Fun!! :flower:

DaisyMay said:

Have a great time creating your door sign DaisyMay. Keep in mind that Alien lime green from Home Depot is the official DISboard color. Happy future posting to you as well! :teeth:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter