What age can a little one really enjoy the trip

cmdg

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, DH and I have been making summer vacations to WDW for a few years together. This fall we're (cautiously) expecting our first baby http://wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/wizard.gif and know we won't be going to WDW.

We're debating when our next trip will be? I think a 2 year old can enjoy the trip, but DH thinks that it might be a little early... what's the youngest you've brought and they've really enjoyed themselves?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, DH and I have been making summer vacations to WDW for a few years together. This fall we're (cautiously) expecting our first baby http://wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/wizard.gif and know we won't be going to WDW.

We're debating when our next trip will be? I think a 2 year old can enjoy the trip, but DH thinks that it might be a little early... what's the youngest you've brought and they've really enjoyed themselves?

Thanks!

I have wonderful memories of my daughter at 14 months at WDW. Small World, the characters, playing in the fountains. Of course, She does not remember any of it. But for me, I will remember it for ever! She had a blast there at her 14 month old level. Of course, she could have had as much fun at a local playground and I do have memories from there too, but seeing her eyes at Small World was wonderful.

Sandy

We took our first trip with our son when he was 27mos. old, and the trip was more for us than him. So I thought... Let me tell you, that little guy got more out of that trip than I could have ever imagined!!! That was ALL he talked about for the next year!!! Needless to say, we wished we had taken that first trip earlier. We have been lucky enough to be able to go every year since then, and he enjoys it more each trip!!!

We took our DS when he was 4 and it was awesome!!! Great memories for us and great memories for him! He can't remember absolutely everything, but he remembers a LOT!!

We took our youngest dd for her first trip at 3 1/2 mos. There were many things that she enjoyed even at that young age. You could see her face light up and she would smile when we were at the shows. She loved the Country Bears, Nemo, Lion King, etc.
We took her again at 17 mos last March and she loved so many things. She recognized the characters and loved some of the rides. Even just strolling around there are so many things to capture their attention. We are going back in May and she will be 2 1/2. I know this will be a perfect age again. I am thinking the word "magical" will be spot on for her. She loves all things Disney (thanks to her mom:rolleyes) and I love seeing it through her eyes.

We took our oldest dd(now 19) when she was 2 yrs 3 mos and she was very verbal. She talked about that trip for forever afterwards and could even tell you what rides she loved and what she hated (Snow White Ride- and she still hates that ride).

I think a 2 yr old is a great age to take. Even if they wont remember EVERYTHING, they will remember and definately enjoy it and you have a camera/video to capture those special moments that you will reminisce about for years to come:thumbsup2 PLUS they are FREE!! Bonus!!

Our son will be two next month and he has already been twice: once at 7 months and once at 19 months. He had a blast both times, laughing and just enthralled with watching everything and LOVED the characters. Will he remember those trips? Probably not, but I always remember the fun he had and he will see those pix.

We took our 3 year old and 18 month old (or however many months are between November 04 and June of 06) in June of 06. They had fun, and when we went back with our 5, 4, and 2 year old, the oldest remembered parts of the first trip. We're planning another trip this December, and we're planning to take our 7,6,3, and 4 month old (due late August) with us. We're just planning to make the trip about them, which really helped last time not get too frustrated about not doing "enough."

We took our 3 year old and 18 month old (or however many months are between November 04 and June of 06) in June of 06. They had fun, and when we went back with our 5, 4, and 2 year old, the oldest remembered parts of the first trip.

That's good to hear. I am taking my 24mo and 3.5yo next month and I am hoping that they both are able to enjoy it!

We took our boy when he was 15 months, not sure he got a lot out of it but he smiled and had fun regardless. I think anything over 2 they will definitely get something out of it......they will know the characters better for sure and will be able to enjoy the rides that they can go on better as well.

Never too young for Disney!!!

We took DS at 2, 3 and 4, and he had a wonderful time at every age!! He was so in awe about EVERYTHING at 2, but, of course, it was the first time he saw everything. He was still really excited and 3 and 4 because we went at different times (December and October, respectively), so there were new things he'd never seen. Since that first trip, he asks about WDW daily. Not kidding.

We are taking our daughter in who will be 2 1/2 when we leave. We live near a six flags, and she LOVES any ride she can get on. She has also been to "shows", including a Disney one, and also loves the characters. Some people (jealous ones I am assuming) say it isn't worth it because she won't remember it. Just because she won't remember it doesn't mean she is not going to have fun. And I will remember her first trip forever!

Our first family trip was 1 week before DS turned 3 (his whole trip was FREE!!!) He had the time of his life! I think he would've had a blast even at 18 mos.

Each age seems to bring a different take on it for us.

11 months old: He absolutely loved the characters. I mean really really loved them. He really liked some of the rides too and we got his first hair cut on main street which was cool.

2 year old: This trip was on his birthday. This was our roughest trip. He had a lot of sleeping issues and that made for a cranky kid. We finally ended up putting him in his stroller at the hotel until he fell asleep and then moving him to the bed. He did not like the characters at all on this trip but, loved a lot of the rides.

2.5 years old: Disneyland trip he had a ball and was so good. He was a little sick on this trip but, was still so happy. He rode the matterhorn and splash mountain. He was quite the daredevil (he is also very tall for his age.)

We have been a couple more times since and he loves it and remembers everything. He has warmed up to the characters now again especially Mickey and Minnie. He loves EPCOT especially Test Track and the countries oh and for some reason Living with the Land. :laughing: He has NEVER liked any of the 3D movie type stuff so you may want to be careful with those.

We took our son 2.5 when he was two and our daughter was 4. They still talk about it to this day so we're taking them back. He was a real trooper and I would do it all over again.

We have gone every year with DS and I say go before the "Fear Years" set in.

He was almost 2 the first time we went and he was good on every ride, very calm about stuff, and then when he was 3,4 and 5 he was scared of most everything!

He got better at 6 and now he is almost 8 so I figure he will do just fine. His two year old trip was one of the easiest for enjoyment for all!

ETA- Small World is WONDERFUL to them at that age, bright lots of colors and fun music! We still call it what he did at that age- "The Boats"!

We have gone every year since my son was 6 months old. While he enjoyed things at 6 months and 18 months, this past trip he was 2 and he REALLY enjoyed himself. He loves now to look at his pictures from the trip and really seems to remember a lot of the things we did.

If you take a really young child be sure to get the "first haircut" at Harmony Barbershop. It was a fantastic experience, special to small kids. (At $12 for a haircut, certificate, lock of hair wrapped in pixie dust and mouse ears my husband also says it is the best value at WDW).

I have great memories with my children in WDW at very early ages.

My DD2 had a blast on her first trip at 14 months. She's been back at 22months, and 28 months. I don't regret a single second!! We should have left my mom home, however.

I can't wait to take her back at 3!

I think once a baby can see more than a few feet in front of them, they're good to go to disney. I don't think being able to remember the trip is as important as others usually do. There are lots of things we do as parents to stimulate, entertain and educate our kids as babies that they will never remember, but it doesn't mean it didn't enhance and enrich their lives in some way.

My son was 2 and 2-1/2 for his first two trips. Loved both of them. Big difference in just the 6 months though. The second trip was wonderful. He loved the rides, couldn't get enough of the characters, and really enjoyed the expierence. We only went to the Magic Kingdom and only for one day each time, but stated at the AKL for 3 days each time. The first time he was much bigger into the resort than Disney, the second time he was about 50/50.

Our ds was 3 & then 4 & he loved it so much. I wish we would have known how much he would love it,we would have taken him at 2, when he was free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter