What’s your favorite British slang word?

Wanker is really rude in the U.K. You’ll often get football (soccer to you) fans shouting ‘You wanker‘ at each other as well as anyone about to have a fight. Married with Children had to be censored in the U.K. as the writers knew what they were doing when they called her Peggy Wanker.
I would disagree ‘I’m knackered’ is rude, people use that all the time, including at work. As above it comes from the term ‘Knacker’s yard’ which is where they took old horses to be slaughtered apparently. It means you are really tired. Or alternatively ‘shattered’ may be used. However, ’Knackers’ can mean testicles (as in ‘He kicked me in the knackers’) and therefore that is a bit rude, and so that I think is why it may be thought of as a rude word.
We also stick two fingers up to mean F*** Off. This isn’t done anywhere else. This has its origins in the battles we had with the French. If the French archers were captured they chopped off those two fingers so they could not operate the bow, and so taunted the opposing army by sticking up two fingers.
We have a laugh at your word ‘Fanny‘ as in ‘Fanny Pack’ etc as a fanny means something quite different in the UK. Whatever you do don’t discuss your fanny in public ladies if you come to the UK, you will get some very funny looks.

We have a laugh at your word ‘Fanny‘ as in ‘Fanny Pack’ etc as a fanny means something quite different in the UK. Whatever you do don’t discuss your fanny in public ladies if you come to the UK, you will get some very funny looks.
Fanny in the US is just a nicer word for butt, so you probably don't want to discuss your fanny here, either.

Well, that's what it means here but not what they mean when using it. Hence, the amusement.
Oh I see, like ‘wake up’? I presume coming from door knockers and the people who used to wake up workers before alarm clocks by knocking on their doors. The plural is a vulgar term for boobs.

I am slightly worried about you guys surviving a night in a London pub😉. Let’s try some nicer slang.. food based.

You’re over egging the pudding.
Don’t egg him on.
Codswallop.
It’s going pear shaped.
It’s a real pea souper.
What a dog’s dinner.
Will you take a butchers.
That really takes the biscuit.

Have a chinwag over these.😉

I heard the word was boink.
Nope, that's the censored version of "bonk" that I believe might be an American invention. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but certainly I'd never heard anyone British say "boink" until I saw Catherine Tate say it once on the US version of The Office.

I'm always amused when Brits say "I'll knock you up" or "I knocked her up this morning".
I don't know - that definition might be archaic now. Possibly during the period before the 80's it might have caused confusion with a double meaning, but I'd say if you asked most Brits now, 99% of them would associate "knocked up" with being pregnant.

The “fe“ word? Really?
No-another word for rooster. I'm familiar with the F word. I assumed using that word in the phrase meant don't mess it up but wasn't considered a swear when used in that context.

Reactions: GAN
Oh these are so funny. I have been laughing through all the posts, and I really needed something to laugh about today:) Thanks to ya'll for the laughs.

An off shoot of this thread would be the different sayings in the different parts of the US, like North to South. Some of those are hilarious, being a former Southerner and living about as far north as you can get now:)

I once hear a commentator during a game say a plyer was hit straight in the "coupon"...first time I ever heard it-and it made me giggle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter