What’s your favorite British slang word?

For me it's "bugger".

I've seen some really weird things over the years though. In high school a classmate was a recent immigrant from Hong Kong. His English was impeccable (and light on any British or Cantonese accent - close to American) - I suppose a matter of going through international schools there. But he asked me if he could borrow "a rubber". I guess that's where slang terms collide. My understanding is that his meaning was British slang for a rubber pencil eraser.

For me it's "bugger".

I've seen some really weird things over the years though. In high school a classmate was a recent immigrant from Hong Kong. His English was impeccable (and light on any British or Cantonese accent - close to American) - I suppose a matter of going through international schools there. But he asked me if he could borrow "a rubber". I guess that's where slang terms collide. My understanding is that his meaning was British slang for a rubber pencil eraser.
I would say there’s some slang term collision happening with “bugger” too.

I thought of some more! I love "have a cuppa" for "cup of tea". also shattered (mentioned previously here I think) and gutted.

Is "Oi!" for getting someone's attention British?

I'm also learning from this thread that some words and phrases I've used for years are British without my knowing it!

Not a slang word, but for some reason I get a kick out of hearing the phrase "up the duff" when I hear it in various British shows.

Is "Oi!" for getting someone's attention British?
In certain circumstances. If someone was trying to break into a car or do something naughty, you might say,‘oi get away from there. If you saw a friend and wanted to catch their attention, you wouldn’t use ‘oi’ and you wouldn’t use it to get the attention of waiters etc.

You may also hear people say, oy oy oy, and shake their head. That’s used when people are disappointed or in disbelief or shock…say you walked into the kitchen and your dog was eating your lunch. That sort of thing.

And ‘oik’ is an offensive slang way to describe someone who is stupidly rude.

would say there’s some slang term collision happening with “bugger” too.
Setting aside the sexual meaning, people sometimes exclaim ‘bugger’ if they have done something silly, spilt their tea, lost their glasses, dropped something. ‘Bugger off’ is a rude way of saying go away, or clear off. Sometimes a naughty child will be described as ‘a little bugger’ or if you are trying to repair something you might say, ‘it’s been a bugger to fix’.

I asked my British friend what that word meant and she just burst out laughing.
But my favorite British slang is probably “bloody”.
I remember in high school ( a longgggg time ago), that I went to one of my friend’s house, and both of his parents were from England. I kept saying “bloody this” and “bloody that” all evening long, thinking that I was just trying to fit in. The next day my friend told me that bloody was actually a curse word and that I had offended his parents. Whoops! I still laugh about it whenever I hear someone use the word bloody.

My English friend says “brilliant” all the time when she thinks something is cool, awesome, good news etc. That’s one of my favorites.

I have to admit because of her and because we have traveled to England a bit I do say bloody hell more than I should. I don’t say it in England though. I know it’s rude. It just rolls off the tongue. 😂

‘Bugger off’ is a rude way of saying go away, or clear off. Sometimes a naughty child will be described as ‘a little bugger’ or if you are trying to repair something you might say, ‘it’s been a bugger to fix’.
In the film Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton referred to their imaginary son as a “little bugger” even though they’re portraying a US college professor and his wife.

I’ve known for decades that bloody and fanny were considered inappropriate in polite UK society.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter