• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What’s your favorite British slang word?

Okay, I hate to break it to you Ladies and Gentlemen, but there are some naughty words here that you may want to reconsider using.
Bonkers, crazy fine; bonk (hit) on the head fine, but just be aware that whilst not rude, bonk also means rumpy pumpy.

If you are in the U.K. and call someone a w**k** (literally a person who masturbates) or a tw*t (a vulgar name for female genitalia) you may receive an aggressive response, ie, a fist in the face. The former isn’t used in the friendly and frequent way it is in Greece, where it is almost a form of male endearment. It’s an insult as is the second word. They are both considered swear words.
Personally, I wouldn’t use knackered either. It isn’t a swear word, and originates from horses being taken to the knacker’s yard to be slaughtered when they were injured or old, but it isn’t really a word used in polite company.
Keep them coming.

Okay, I hate to break it to you Ladies and Gentlemen, but there are some naughty words here that you may want to reconsider using.

If you are in the U.K. and call someone a w**k** (literally a person who masturbates)
That's what I was referring to as Ted Lasso term and not fit to print!

Bonkers, crazy fine; bonk (hit) on the head fine, but just be aware that whilst not rude, bonk also means rumpy pumpy.

If you are in the U.K. and call someone a w**k** (literally a person who masturbates) or a tw*t (a vulgar name for female genitalia) you may receive an aggressive response, ie, a fist in the face. The former isn’t used in the friendly and frequent way it is in Greece, where it is almost a form of male endearment. It’s an insult as is the second word. They are both considered swear words.
Personally, I wouldn’t use knackered either. It isn’t a swear word, and originates from horses being taken to the knacker’s yard to be slaughtered when they were injured or old, but it isn’t really a word used in polite company.
Keep them coming.
Are you a Brit?!? Knackered is passable for referring to your own state of exhaustion.

But calling someone an old knacker, or knackered is totally different! I agree

If you want some really obscure British slang, may I recommend this series from Achievement Hunter on YouTube where a British guy has to provide three possible words or phrases to his American colleagues and get them to guess which are the real slang terms and which is the one he just made up. It's really funny (or at least it is to me, a Brit!) and there's four videos in total to watch.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter