Warning about Lowe's and appliances!!!

texasthree said:
I dont know why anyone would expect the installer to remove their old one.
I don't know what happens in Texas, but in PA and NJ, this is standard practice.

Lowes took our old dryer and microwave away after they installed both. We have a electric dryer. (Mistake when the house was built. It should have been a gas line to the dryer.)

I live in Ft Worth.

mt2 said:
We have a electric dryer. (Mistake when the house was built. It should have been a gas line to the dryer.)
When we bought the house, we had a gas line run to the dryer. The previous owners had an electric dryer.

This is why I love my company, Best Buy.

Free Delivery for all appliances 499.99 and over.
34.99 for them to just drop off the box for under 499.99
49.99 for them to hook it up with delivery (non-gas appliances and not dishwashers)
Haul Away is FREE!
Gas Installs are a lot in Mass (149.99) I believe it is less in other states but MA has a lot of strange laws.

The only restocking frees are when someone orders a Special Order and returns it. Customers are told that up front at that restocking fee. Generally speaking, we dont have that many special orders.

we were looking for a new stove (electric) and we noticed that after the price it said cord $25.99!!!! so we asked the clerk said they dont come with plugs!!!!

what?!!! an electrical appliance that doenst come with a plug!

Actually, this is correct for certain applicances; the information the clerk gave you about different prongs is absolutely true.

And if you have bought a computer printer lately, you will have discovered that they almost NEVER come with the USB connector you need to hook up to the computer. It must be purchased separately.

RE: Best Buy:

The only restocking frees are when someone orders a Special Order and returns it.

Not true. Best Buy charges a 25% restocking fee on special orders (ouch!), but also charges a 15% restocking fee on certain items which have been opened, such as computers, camcorders, digital cameras, etc.

disneysteve said:
When we bought the house, we had a gas line run to the dryer. The previous owners had an electric dryer.

We talked to the builder about having a gas line put in but when we did the final walk thru we noticed that it was made for an electric dryer.

When we went back to the sales agent/builder, he remembered us talking about it. The paperwork was located and we forgot to put it writing. They could redo it but it would cost us hundreds extra and closing would be delayed by a week.

We let it go and closed the next day.

At my store...dryer plugs and range plugs are 19.99 each.

Its because some houses are made with 3 prong 220 volt and some are made with 4 prongs

Our previous homeowner had a gas dryer and we had a newer electric dryer. We called an electrician to come in--he capped the gas line and put a larger outlet in and put a casing around it... all on Christmas Eve, for a very decent price! (It was less than $200)

My neighbor is a store manager for Lowe's. We're rather partial to Lowe's. My friend is getting a new stove from Lowe's and before she could order, Lowe's sent a sub contracter (who will do the install) to come take measurements, and to see exactly what they need. Upon arrival of her new stove, the same sub contractor will install.

The delivery drivers are NOT licensed installers. They are hired to drive a truck and drop off your stuff. Lowe's should have offered to install and they hire someone to send to your home.

Our Lowe's has a wonderful store manager who loves his job and his store. It sounds like you did not have the best experience. Sorry. I would express my concerns in a polite manner. Mayber he's a new manager, or he just doesn't care. If he's not willing to help, then I would ask to speak to a regional. But, it is the sales associates responsibility to explain "delivery" and it is the customers responsibility to ask and ask again if not all questions are answered.

Good luck getting your dryer installed! Sorry for your trouble, my friend would have made everything right the first time!! :thumbsup2

We bought our washer and dryer from Lowes. They were cheaper than Home Depot for the same pair. We paid $75 ($65 + $10 for extra distance) for delivery and got a $65 rebate. We knew they would not do an install. Ours is an electric dryer. DH installed a new dryer vent (we needed it). We uninstalled the old ones and DH worked on the vent before they came. Sorry they did not tell you about the install.

I didn't read all the posts, but this reminded of my Lowe's experience. Several years ago I bought a new dishwasher from Lowe's. I specifically asked if the delivery fee included removing the old dishwasher, was told yes and showed on the reciept where it stated this fact.

Fast forward to delivery day: I was at work, idiot boyfriend (now ex) was at home. IBF had to call me at work to ask where the money was for the "disposal fee". Um, what disposal fee? Oh you know, he needs a $100 disposal fee to take out the old dishwasher, and it's cash only. Needless to say, I RACED home and set the delivery guy straight, immediately followed by setting IBF straight.

pjshaff: thanks! Any idea how I can get the name and contact info for my RVP and Dist Manager?

disneysteve said:
I posted in another thread that we bought a new clothes dryer at Lowe's yesterday. They arranged to deliver it today, for which we paid $65.00. They showed up a couple of hours ago and the guy comes in to check the location and says, "Did they tell you that we aren't allowed to disconnect the old dryer or hook up the new dryer?" Well, NO, THEY DIDN'T TELL US THAT AT ALL! :furious: The delivery guy says they're not allowed to touch gas lines. If I disconnect the old one, they can take it out, and they can bring in the new one, but that's it.

I managed to get the old dryer disconnected but the flexible line needs to be replaced and I'm just not messing with that. I'm pretty handy but gas and electric are two things I let the professionals handle. So we were all excited that we'd be able to start catching up on the laundry backlog tonite but no such luck.

I just went over to Lowe's to give them hell. On my way there, I stopped at Home Depot just out of curiousity to see what their policy is. Sure enough, they deliver AND hook up the dryers. They were surprised to hear that Lowe's doesn't. Next I went to Lowe's. I spoke to the store manager and he said they don't hook them up and we should have been told that when we bought it. In fact, he said nobody hooks them up. I told him Home Depot does and he didn't believe me at first until I told him I had just walked out of there with all the information. Finally, he said, "So what would you like me to do? Do you want to return it because we can't hook it up?" I thought about going that route but figured it would be more trouble than it was worth. So instead I asked him to refund the $65 delivery fee. He agreed to do that. So at least now, when I pay my plumber to come over and put in a new gas line, I won't feel like I wasted quite as much money.

Sorry for rambling. I've still got steam coming out of my ears. :furious:

D.S. are you SURE that the person you spoke to at HD was correct. They would not hook up a gas drier for me (yes they did stoves) and I was going to have to get a plumber to do it. I checked this at several HDs. I finally bit the bullet and got an electric drier (close to 900 in plumber and electrician fees . While it was costly to switch (needed to run this super heavy duty plug thing) I just figured in the end when I need a new drier I can call and all they need to do is plug it in!! Just double check and see if HD is correct OR it could be the requirements in your state are different than mine.

Cindy B said:
Our previous homeowner had a gas dryer and we had a newer electric dryer. We called an electrician to come in--he capped the gas line and put a larger outlet in and put a casing around it... all on Christmas Eve, for a very decent price! (It was less than $200)

AHH electrician cannot to my knowledge cap the gas line. I think it needs to be a plumber and I think there needs to be a tag hanging from it that gives the time and date it was done as well as the name of the person who did it. Better double check for safety and insurance liability

lyzziesmom said:
I didn't read all the posts, but this reminded of my Lowe's experience. Several years ago I bought a new dishwasher from Lowe's. I specifically asked if the delivery fee included removing the old dishwasher, was told yes and showed on the reciept where it stated this fact.

Fast forward to delivery day: I was at work, idiot boyfriend (now ex) was at home. IBF had to call me at work to ask where the money was for the "disposal fee". Um, what disposal fee? Oh you know, he needs a $100 disposal fee to take out the old dishwasher, and it's cash only. Needless to say, I RACED home and set the delivery guy straight, immediately followed by setting IBF straight.

"IN cash" read under the table and for the delivery guy. I would have called Lowes and turned him in.

It must depend on your Lowes. We just had a washer / dryer delivered from there a month or so again. The store in Indianapolis delivered, installed (including unhooking the old ones), and then moved the old ones to a spot in the the garage for us....and our cost for delivery was $50.

disneysteve said:
I don't know what happens in Texas, but in PA and NJ, this is standard practice.

Sorry but my experiences in PA are totally different. We have always had to have a licensed plumber come in and do a gas line hook-up. We have purchased from several different appliance stores (the big ones as well as mom and pop stores) and they have never never been able to do gas line hook-ups. Also, we always were told to remove our old machine before delivery. Most delivery people won't even plug in an electric appliance.

Sorry, they weren't more clear with you. I have found that most of the time when we have bought appliances they were straight forward with us and what would and wouldn't be done but some figured that it was a given that we knew the guidelines.

BTW, this is why the prices look so good at these chains. They exclude the cost of a few *necessary* steps in the process.

gina2000 said:
BTW, this is why the prices look so good at these chains. They exclude the cost of a few *necessary* steps in the process.
Sadly that happens when people are on commision. They just want some money in their pockets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter