Unsuccessful attempt to Pool Hop at Poly..

LIFERBABE

DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV
This day will go down in infamy Sunday Aug 31, 2003. The day that SAB was completely shut down, brought to it's knees by a small child and a leaky pull-up. (Or so the legend goes) ( I would rather err on the side of safety in this case)

Well no one panic just yet, We are DVC!! I called Poly first and asked about Pool-Hopping and was told "no pool hopping allowed" then I clarified to add that I was a DVC member and was still told no. This was a final no, not a "sorry the pool is at capacity today" no.

What do you do in this situation? Do you take your literature/guide with you to inform CM's of the policy.
Don't want to be confrontational about a swim, but clearly all CM's are not aware of the policy and restrictions or are they?.

The BW was allowing all BC/YC/BCV guests to swim at their pool, due to the closure so we went there. Not my first choice, but had a great time nonetheless.

I know that Pool Hopping is a privilege and guest capacity may force you to leave but I would like to know others successful pool hopping tips for future reference and use.

It is clear that not all CM's are fully trained on the nuances of DVC. We've also heard of CM's telling DVC members that valet parking at the DVC resorts is not free to them.

If I ran into the situation that you did, I'd probably just call back and most likely end up talking to a different CM that would tell us to "come on over". Or if we really wanted to pool hop to the Poly that day, I'd probably call the DVC sales office and have them call the Poly CM.

The worst part is you might get the green light when you call, and then they don't let you in when you get there. So always make sure you get the name of whomever said it was okay to hop that day!

Well, this might not be the popular answer, but I probably would have gone anyways. We plan on hopping to the WL when we are there in December and I don't plan on calling first as we will be at the MK that day. It just seems like with calling, your answer would depend on what cast member you ask. So, I guess if I didn't like the answer, I would probably ask a different one. I don't anticipate any problems hopping over to the WL, but you never know.

Perhaps if you asked the CM (in a polite tone) "Oh, I guess the pool is at capacity?" You may have gotten a feel for the reason they denied you. If they said "Yes, it's at capacity", then you have your answer. If they said anything but that, then you know that the reason for denial was because the CM did not know the rule.

Does that make sense? :cool:

I thought we couldn't pool hop if the pool were going to was at capacity?

Did the CM just say they were at capacity because he didn't know what else to say or were they really at capacity?
:confused:

sounds like in the op that she just got the answer "no". hmmm

she should have just called back and asked again and added that the bcv pool was closed from a leaky kid , maybe then she would have gotten a aloha :sunny:

DVC members, when staying at a DVC resort, can pool hop to any WDW resort pool except SAB at YC/BC/BCV and AKL. If pools are at capacity pool hopping is not permitted.

Why do suppose DVC would prohibit us from pool hopping at BCV/BC/YC pools other than SAB? :confused:

Pool hopping policy
Please remember that unless you're a registered Guest of Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts or Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, pool hopping is never allowed at Stormalong Bay and Uzima Pool. Quiet pools at those resorts are also off-limits, unless you are a registered Guest of the resort. There are no exceptions to this policy.

(Cut and pasted from September's Member Clubhouse. Excerpt bolded by me for emphasis.)

We were at Poly on 8/31 and I can understand why pool hopping was not allowed. I was told the resort was not full when we checked in while the pool was always packed. It was not a big pool and I suspect some people were not staying there.

I had to show resort ID that day to get towels at the pool, they told me they had to check because it was Labor day weekend and the pool was crowded.

I thought I read in the most recent DVC e-mail that pool hopping is only allowed when the pool is not at capacity.

I think the resort guests should have the first priority before everyone else. Sorry that SAB was closed.

thought I read in the most recent DVC e-mail that pool hopping is only allowed when the pool is not at capacity.

Lat,
I agree that this is the policy, and understand it's concept. I did not expect priority at the Poly because SAB was closed. Even if it were open, the Pool Hopping policy is applicable, when pools are not at capacity.

The Poly CM stated No so flatly, and made no reference to pool capacity even after I stated I was a DVC member. I did not pursue it further, as she was so curt. If I was told the pool was at capacity and they were not allowing pool hopping that day, I would have understood and called the next resort.

I am a new member, and would like to know any nuances other members use when requesting to pool hop, as it does seem it depends on whom you ask. I do like the idea of calling back, but what if no one knows? And I don't want to feel like we are sneaking into a pool that our membership allows us access to. I can do that for free!! (but choose not to LOL)

I prefer not to be in an overcrowded pool, so the policy, as stated, is not a bone of contention. I just want to make sure that I'm receiving correct info when I call (as instructed by the policy) and the most tactful way to bring a CM up to speed on Policy when they give you wrong info.

Thanks for the replies so far!

At this point you don't know if the answer was correct or not, I would have asked for a manager or supervisor to be certain.

Well, I'm sorry the CM seemed short to you on the phone, but maybe he/she was extremely busy, it was after all, Labor Day weekend, and I doubt the sole responsibility of this CM was answering the phone for DVCers trying to pool hop. Imagine how many calls they must have been getting if SAB was down.

Perhaps Labor Day will soon be added to the "No Pool Hopping" rules like some other busy times.

I find that different answers can be given by different CM and it can be frustrating.

I saw your thread and cannot help feeling the frustration while I was there. It was not a big pool and I actually heard someone telling me that people would just walk over from TTC to use the pool.

I wish Disney can use wristband or something for all their pools so that the resort guests can get full benefit of what they pay for.

I remember seeing a thread saying people at the FW campground going over to WL to use their pool. Same issue.

LIFERBABE, the comments weren't directed at you. I just wanted you to know that the pool was at capacity that day. It was probably at capacity the whole time we were there, given how hot the weather was, the pool was the hopping place.

Is there any chance we were in a "no hopping" date? I can't find the previous "Clubhouse".

Also, the latest one specifically adds "all" Beach Club and AKL pools as being off-limits to pool hopping, not just SAB and/or the main AKL pool. That's a new clarification.

Originally posted by LIFERBABE
This day will go down in infamy Sunday Aug 31, 2003. The day that SAB was completely shut down, brought to it's knees by a small child and a leaky pull-up. (Or so the legend goes) ( I would rather err on the side of safety in this case)

I'm still confused as to why all of SAB was closed (or was it just the kiddie part). Personally, I don't know why Disney would close the entire pool for an "accident". After the physical clean-up, there is not much more that can be done, so why close down the entire pool for an extended time. On any given day, I wonder how many "little swimmers" have been playing in the water with soiled pull-ups. My guess would be several, and there is no pull-up made that "seals" tight enough to keep E. coli inside.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Seems like an over reaction to me, especially if the water has the proper chemicals.

From the latest Member Clubhouse-

"Due to the high occupancy that is expected, Members may not "pool hop" from November 24 - November 30, 2003, and December 20, 2003 - January 3, 2004. On other dates, if you're pool hopping at another resort, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate registered Guests staying at that resort. Please call ahead to the Front Desk of the destination resort to check pool availability, and visit dvcmember.com for updates."

If the CM correctly reported that the pool was not available the worst thing that would happen is that you would either not get in or you would be asked to leave....so long as you accepted either gracefully I don't see the big deal...you pack it in and head elsewhere--by the way -did you try any other pools? Like Coronado Springs? that would be a reasonable substitute for the Poly.

Originally posted by PamOKW
the latest one specifically adds "all" Beach Club and AKL pools as being off-limits to pool hopping, not just SAB and/or the main AKL pool. That's a new clarification.
Yes that is new. I didn't realize dunes cove was exclusive. It does seem reasonable that limitations might happen at labor day and there are three other pools onsite.

I would've gone to the Contemporary Pool. The heck with the crowded, overrated volcano. The contemporary pool has a slide that is just as good -- just not stuck inside a fake volcano. The pool area is open and spacious -- overlooking the lake and not nearly as crowded. The boat rentals are there and a bar if you are so inclined. Also close to the fast food restaurant with refillable mugs and the famous Contemporary video arcade.

And once they didn't make us pay for valet parking -- go figure.

Hey, but that's just me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter