The **NEW** Grand Floridian FAQ!(MAY 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
k&a&c'smom

I forgot to ask....I thought I read there are three that face the construction and then three that are in a different spot...one (room 4021) that actually spans a view including MK in the distance????

I have gotten so confused reading all these posts and other websites.

Do you know?
Or anyone else????

k&a&c'smom

I forgot to ask....I thought I read there are three that face the construction and then three that are in a different spot...one (room 4021) that actually spans a view including MK in the distance????

I have gotten so confused reading all these posts and other websites.

Do you know?
Or anyone else????

There are 3 that face the monorail and themed pool, 3 that face the themed pool and courtyard pool. We've stayed in room 4021 twice, and it definitely has many windows that face on the construction. But, there are a few that face the courtyard pool and castle, so you may not mind the construction view.

When I get time, I'll post some photos of the views from 4021.:goodvibes

I can't help with what to do regarding the turret vs. rectangular rooms. There is no guarantee you'll get the turret, so if it is going to bother you, I'd book the queen deluxe. On the other hand, as I said, the turret rooms face the construction so they may be easier to request.

baler31 was told by management that they may close off rooms on that side if the construction starts to cause too much disruption. (I think I'm telling that right - if it is not, baler31, please correct!:) ) In which case, the turret rooms may not be an option at all.

beckysko - you're welcome!:goodvibes:

Hi everyone - I am new to this thread but have made it through 60 pages thus far. I will keep reading, but have to ask a few questions first (it may take me a few weeks to get through 200 MORE pages!) I have to say, this thread is a wealth of information and pictures - thanks so much for helping newbies get acquainted with the resort!

My family is contemplating staying at the GF for a conference for my husband's work in March 2013. The only rooms at conference rate are standard GV. We have 2 adults, 3 kids - DS 7, DS 4, DS 13months (at the time of the trip).

I am VERY apprehensive about all 5 of us trying to stay in one standard room. Usually on family trips we almost always have some sort of suite in which the kids sleep in a seperate room. We definitely can't afford a suite at the GF! :( We have stayed on-site twice before: once in a standard room at CR (with only 2 kids) and once in a 2BR at BLT (huge discount at value season!). I am forever spoiled by the BLT stay. The stay at CR was marginally tolerable because we had an accessible room that the pack n play fit in and we had a ground floor patio room right by the pool, so kid(s) could be sleeping and we could hang out and not have to go to bed early.

Anyhow - DS 13 months will be in a crib. What are my options as to where the crib can go? Is there a walk in closet? Don't laugh - I've put a pack n play in a large closet before with the door open! Is the bathroom big enough for a pack n play? How about the entry way of the room? I REALLY want to figure out if there is somewhere for my little guy to get "away" from the rest of us so he can get to bed earlier or at lease with fewer distractions.

Also, since we can only book GV rooms, our options aren't the best. I think my best bet would be to try for the monorail view rooms in Sago Cay that I read about. My two older kids are absolute monorail freaks and would like to watch them go by. Any idea what sort of request to put in for that? People seem to hate Sago Cay - why? It makes me nervous to request it but I think it might be best for us.

Thanks so much! Sorry if these are answered further down the thread - I just couldn't resist asking as I want to book soon if we're going to do this trip. I'll keep on reading!!

cheesemouse - :welcome: No worries, ask anything you like, we're here to help. It is a huge thread, it would be tough to read all the way through and remember everything.

Did you see the photos on the first page of the standard rooms? There is not a walk in closet, but there is a dressing/sink area that is walled off from the rest of the room. The only down side is this is the area next to the bathroom and the sinks are here. Not much fun if the baby is sleeping and someone wants to brush their teeth or use the bathroom.

The standard rooms at the GF are around the same size as those of the CR. Most people seem to put the crib near the connecting door (or the area where one would be, if there is no connector) or possibly near the sliding door to the balcony.

We have 3 children, and have always stayed in one room on vacation. No big deal for us, and the Poly/GF rooms seemed more than adequate. But if you are used to a suite, you will feel cramped, I'm afraid.:scared: Have you thought of booking two standard rooms and requesting connecting rooms? Less expensive, and more like what you are used to regarding layout.

Oops, almost forgot the question about Sago Cay!!:) I haven't noticed anyone saying they hated it, but it is further from the pools and main building, so I'm sure that is why many prefer the other outer buildings. DD and I stayed in a room there last summer, and while we prefer the courtyard area, it was nice and quiet and very pretty. Short walk to Gasparilla's and the bus stop. Bonus - you won't have any chance of a construction view!!:thumbsup2

cheesemouse - these photos might be more helpful in showing the areas I referenced.:)
As you enter the room, you can see the lighted dressing area to the left (or right, depending on room layout)
IMG_0079.jpg

Dressing area
IMG_0077.jpg

You could move the ottoman
IMG_0042.jpg

Connecting door area
IMG_1461.jpg

Same area without connector, it seemed bigger in person!
IMG_0074.jpg

There are 3 that face the monorail and themed pool, 3 that face the themed pool and courtyard pool. We've stayed in room 4021 twice, and it definitely has many windows that face on the construction. But, there are a few that face the courtyard pool and castle, so you may not mind the construction view.

When I get time, I'll post some photos of the views from 4021.:goodvibes

I can't help with what to do regarding the turret vs. rectangular rooms. There is no guarantee you'll get the turret, so if it is going to bother you, I'd book the queen deluxe. On the other hand, as I said, the turret rooms face the construction so they may be easier to request.

baler31 was told by management that they may close off rooms on that side if the construction starts to cause too much disruption. (I think I'm telling that right - if it is not, baler31, please correct!:) ) In which case, the turret rooms may not be an option at all.

beckysko - you're welcome!:goodvibes:

That was me:wave:

Yes, I was told by management that it was a possibility that if the construction became to loud/intrusive, those rooms facing construction would be removed from inventory.

I was concerned because we have a lengthy, i.e. expensive:eek:RPC stay scheduled and was concerned about the construction. However it does not sound like anything will really change until Aug. when the project ramps up some more. Other than more of the same monorail closings he was not aware of anything else until Aug.

Also, I too am surprised that they are booking the King deluxe for 3. Although you plan for everyone to sleep together, in the past that has been a 2 person occupancy room.

brsirak You may want to confirm over the phone that it did not let you book it in error, just to avoid any surprises when you are there. I say that because we had a situation once where we booked the queen deluxe in RPC unaware (at the time) that it had a 4 person occupancy limit. We had one of our DD's friends with us and we were unable to stay in the room even though it was larger than a standard. It was an unpleasant surprise:sad1:

CoachBagFanatic - LOL about resisting the urge to pack! Good luck, I hope you are able to hold firm.;) Maybe you can use an extra room to lay out some of your things? That might help you get the feel of packing, and is still within the "last minute packing" philosophy.;)

We were talking about packing last night and I didn't mention any of this to my DH. As DH was taking our dogs out last night for the evening, he said to me and I quote "this doesn't mean you can get outfits ready and hang them up in the closet. That's cheating.":sad::crazy2::sad: I said I know that.:rotfl:

I already have outfits ready in the closet that he doesn't know about.:lmao::rotfl2:

cheesemouse - :welcome: No worries, ask anything you like, we're here to help. It is a huge thread, it would be tough to read all the way through and remember everything.

Did you see the photos on the first page of the standard rooms? There is not a walk in closet, but there is a dressing/sink area that is walled off from the rest of the room. The only down side is this is the area next to the bathroom and the sinks are here. Not much fun if the baby is sleeping and someone wants to brush their teeth or use the bathroom.

The standard rooms at the GF are around the same size as those of the CR. Most people seem to put the crib near the connecting door (or the area where one would be, if there is no connector) or possibly near the sliding door to the balcony.

We have 3 children, and have always stayed in one room on vacation. No big deal for us, and the Poly/GF rooms seemed more than adequate. But if you are used to a suite, you will feel cramped, I'm afraid.:scared: Have you thought of booking two standard rooms and requesting connecting rooms? Less expensive, and more like what you are used to regarding layout.

Oops, almost forgot the question about Sago Cay!!:) I haven't noticed anyone saying they hated it, but it is further from the pools and main building, so I'm sure that is why many prefer the other outer buildings. DD and I stayed in a room there last summer, and while we prefer the courtyard area, it was nice and quiet and very pretty. Short walk to Gasparilla's and the bus stop. Bonus - you won't have any chance of a construction view!!:thumbsup2

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'll definitely put they baby in the changing area. That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for! I really appreciate the extra pictures you posted too. Funny how different each resort is. The bathroom layout at the CR are completely different. Who knew?

Whew! That's one big hurdle that I feel we've overcome. Now, I think we should be good to go for booking the trip!

That was me:wave:

Yes, I was told by management that it was a possibility that if the construction became to loud/intrusive, those rooms facing construction would be removed from inventory.

I was concerned because we have a lengthy, i.e. expensive:eek:RPC stay scheduled and was concerned about the construction. However it does not sound like anything will really change until Aug. when the project ramps up some more. Other than more of the same monorail closings he was not aware of anything else until Aug.

Also, I too am surprised that they are booking the King deluxe for 3. Although you plan for everyone to sleep together, in the past that has been a 2 person occupancy room.

brsirak You may want to confirm over the phone that it did not let you book it in error, just to avoid any surprises when you are there. I say that because we had a situation once where we booked the queen deluxe in RPC unaware (at the time) that it had a 4 person occupancy limit. We had one of our DD's friends with us and we were unable to stay in the room even though it was larger than a standard. It was an unpleasant surprise:sad1:

ITA!

Now, I have in the past booked the Deluxe Queen for a party of 4 intending to be only a party of 4, and the last minute another niece decided to join us. I immediately called IPO and they assured me that they would simply add a rollaway in the room at no charge. But she was NOT on the reservation and IF we were doing ME, she would not had been able to do that.
(but we do the towncar/limo everytime so it was not a problem).

This is just my experience, and just wanted to throw it out there.

I am so excited to see everyone coming and going to the GRAND!!!!
Still going to the BC this year and waiting until next year to do the RPC to stay in my favorite room, the deluxe queens!:goodvibes
Meanwhile, this next trip we're eating at Narcoossee's this time and I WILL NOT FORGET my camera! LOL :lmao:

Love you all! :grouphug:

ITA!

Now, I have in the past booked the Deluxe Queen for a party of 4 intending to be only a party of 4, and the last minute another niece decided to join us. I immediately called IPO and they assured me that they would simply add a rollaway in the room at no charge. But she was NOT on the reservation and IF we were doing ME, she would not had been able to do that.
(but we do the towncar/limo everytime so it was not a problem).

This is just my experience, and just wanted to throw it out there.

I am so excited to see everyone coming and going to the GRAND!!!!
Still going to the BC this year and waiting until next year to do the RPC to stay in my favorite room, the deluxe queens!:goodvibes
Meanwhile, this next trip we're eating at Narcoossee's this time and I WILL NOT FORGET my camera! LOL :lmao:

Love you all! :grouphug:

Sooooo happy to go to the DIS and see you posted! You are our resident expert on all things RPC! Now then, in 19 days you are going to CL at the BC, correct? Then the YC/BC? in the fall?!!! It would put a smile in my heart if we can meet at WDW in September :hug: Hope you are feeling well and getting excited :cloud9:

coachbagfanatic, what our husband's don't know won't hurt them :lmao:. You are just being organized and getting ready a bit early...

KCmike, great photos! I love the look of that resort. You have a wonderful looking family :grouphug:

Sooooo happy to go to the DIS and see you posted! You are our resident expert on all things RPC! Now then, in 19 days you are going to CL at the BC, correct? Then the YC/BC? in the fall?!!! It would put a smile in my heart if we can meet at WDW in September :hug: Hope you are feeling well and getting excited :cloud9:

coachbagfanatic, what our husband's don't know won't hurt them :lmao:. You are just being organized and getting ready a bit early...

KCmike, great photos! I love the look of that resort. You have a wonderful looking family :grouphug:

It's still on the calendar, my precious JC! :hug:
Hopefully my health and yours won't prevent us from meeting! :dance3:

Loving the photos too! From Mike and everyone else!

Been walking a bit in the pool to get my strengh up, cause I AM going to WDW in a COUPLE of weeks, darn it! :headache: ::yes::

LOL ~ I sure have missed you guys!
and kacs, your new FAQ is looking great, as always, thank you for EVERYTHING you do for us GF junkies! :hug:

Lulu'sMom - Good to see you!:hug: I am glad to hear you are still planning your trip in a few weeks, I know you need it.:flower3: Thanks about the thread, I'm still trying to rearrange and add photos.

I've had a similar experience with going over room occupancy limit when it happened last minute - and for one night. You are right, the guest benefits did not apply, the extra person didn't get a room key. In the past, the booking engine hasn't allowed the addition in advance, which is why I was suprised!:confused: I wonder if they have changed the max. occupancy of those rooms? There is certainly enough space for more than two, though they seem to set the occupancy by number of bedding options actually IN the room (e.g. daybed, foldout).

They will sometimes make an exception when you end up with an undocumented guest (they hate to say no!), but I've been told more than once they don't like to do it for fire safety reasons. The fire dept. has been given maximum occupancy numbers for each room, and if there are more in there than reported it makes it difficult for them to clear the resort. Dangerous for firefighters AND guests.

baler31 - thanks, that's exactly what I remembered, but sometimes my memory plays tricks.;) I hope your trip goes off without a hitch, no nasty last minute surprises.pixiedust: When do you leave? I've forgotten.

CoachBagFanatic - :rotfl:

cheesemouse - oh, good, I'm glad your worries are relieved and you can begin your trip planning!:sunny:

It is interesting how each resort treats the bathroom and room layout. The Poly is different as well - most rooms have the sink & vanity inside the bathroom with commode and tub/shower.

4 sleeps until our first stay at the Grand! I am so excited I am about to bust. Thank goodness for this awesome thread! I just keep scrolling through all the pages looking for pictures and daydreaming. :goodvibes

Lulu'sMom - Good to see you!:hug: I am glad to hear you are still planning your trip in a few weeks, I know you need it.:flower3: Thanks about the thread, I'm still trying to rearrange and add photos.

I've had a similar experience with going over room occupancy limit when it happened last minute - and for one night. You are right, the guest benefits did not apply, the extra person didn't get a room key. In the past, the booking engine hasn't allowed the addition in advance, which is why I was suprised!:confused: I wonder if they have changed the max. occupancy of those rooms? There is certainly enough space for more than two, though they seem to set the occupancy by number of bedding options actually IN the room (e.g. daybed, foldout).

They will sometimes make an exception when you end up with an undocumented guest (they hate to say no!), but I've been told more than once they don't like to do it for fire safety reasons. The fire dept. has been given maximum occupancy numbers for each room, and if there are more in there than reported it makes it difficult for them to clear the resort. Dangerous for firefighters AND guests.

baler31 - thanks, that's exactly what I remembered, but sometimes my memory plays tricks.;) I hope your trip goes off without a hitch, no nasty last minute surprises.pixiedust: When do you leave? I've forgotten.

CoachBagFanatic - :rotfl:

cheesemouse - oh, good, I'm glad your worries are relieved and you can begin your trip planning!:sunny:

It is interesting how each resort treats the bathroom and room layout. The Poly is different as well - most rooms have the sink & vanity inside the bathroom with commode and tub/shower.

Yes on our reservation we booked the queen deluxe for 5, it did allow it and they would not let us stay in that room even though we had room for the cot. For a moment I was in a panic (I am not a surprise kind of girl) but they did more than make up for it by moving us to a suite at no additional charge. I am quite sure this began our love affair with the hotel:rotfl:

We are leaving next week, I added a ticker but it is for our trip during Thanksgiving. I am really awful with technology and it took me forever to add it so I don't think I will tweak it yet. I recently had my car serviced and I was the only person in the waiting room reading actual print matter. I told my DH and children that even the much older individuals were all using electronic devices.:rotfl2:

Let me know if anyone would like specific pictures or reports on anything and I will do my best to get them.

Yes on our reservation we booked the queen deluxe for 5, it did allow it and they would not let us stay in that room even though we had room for the cot. For a moment I was in a panic (I am not a surprise kind of girl) but they did more than make up for it by moving us to a suite at no additional charge. I am quite sure this began our love affair with the hotel:rotfl:

We are leaving next week, I added a ticker but it is for our trip during Thanksgiving. I am really awful with technology and it took me forever to add it so I don't think I will tweak it yet. I recently had my car serviced and I was the only person in the waiting room reading actual print matter. I told my DH and children that even the much older individuals were all using electronic devices.:rotfl2:

Let me know if anyone would like specific pictures or reports on anything and I will do my best to get them.

Wow, when did that happen, baler31 ?
and I agree, they are wonderful at those upgrades and accomodating us in the RPC! :cloud9: Love affair indeed! :love:

4 sleeps until our first stay at the Grand! I am so excited I am about to bust. Thank goodness for this awesome thread! I just keep scrolling through all the pages looking for pictures and daydreaming. :goodvibes

Four more sleeps, woohoo!:dance3:

baler31 - LOL about the upgrade beginning your love affair. They aren't stupid, right?!;)

Thanks, I was just thinking of a photo I've been wanting, but can't recall what it is at the moment. I'll try to remember today. Jungle Cruiser made the same offer, and my silly brain wouldn't cooperate.:laughing: I can't believe I've already forgotten, it was earlier today while I worked on the new thread.

I laughed at your description of the service area, I know exactly what you mean. I have a data-equipped phone, but don't have a data plan as I never use it. I have pretty good computer skills, but have not even adopted texting!:rotfl2:

Wow, when did that happen, baler31 ?
and I agree, they are wonderful at those upgrades and accomodating us in the RPC! :cloud9: Love affair indeed! :love:

I believe:confused3 it was in 04, and I am fairly sure I booked over the phone. I know I had already stopped using a TA and I think it was before I started booking online or they started offering online booking. I would have to go back and look at my journals to be sure. Before this time period my whole family went to the Poly and CR in the 70's and 80's so I really stuck with those for quite awhile.

The staff in RPC is truly special and the reason we continue going (especially my children as they view some as family). I really need to write a letter about a mousekeeper named Samang. Even though we were in RPC on our last two trips we did not have her as our mousekeeper and may I say what a difference in the cleanliness of our room:sick: I have honestly considered making that my request for the trip. Wonder what the room assignor would make of that: Guest requests Samang as mousekeeper:rotfl2:

Four more sleeps, woohoo!:dance3:

baler31 - LOL about the upgrade beginning your love affair. They aren't stupid, right?!;)

Thanks, I was just thinking of a photo I've been wanting, but can't recall what it is at the moment. I'll try to remember today. Jungle Cruiser made the same offer, and my silly brain wouldn't cooperate.:laughing: I can't believe I've already forgotten, it was earlier today while I worked on the new thread.

I laughed at your description of the service area, I know exactly what you mean. I have a data-equipped phone, but don't have a data plan as I never use it. I have pretty good computer skills, but have not even adopted texting!:rotfl2:

I don't have a data plan either, I would never use it. My kids do:rotfl2:
My poor phone is so old people laugh at it, but it does what I need. I would not carry one if not for the kids, I find them very intrusive. We use my DD's for all those app's for lines and such in the park and I must say sometimes they are helpful.

Let me know if you remember the photo you would like. You would have to walk me through how to post it though:flower3:

This is true Jungle Cruiser. I am usually very strong willed on most things in my life but when it comes to packing for Disney, I am like a little kid at Christmas. Can't wait.:laughing:

Ok DH and I were having a discussion earlier about the cabana's. Since we always rent a cabana every time we stay at the GF we decided to bite the bullet and rent one again this time. We are aware that it may be noisy over there, but it's like a tradition and part of our GF stay. Just couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter