The **NEW** Grand Floridian FAQ!(MAY 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
baler31

So, you did book a Deluxe Queen and they wouldn't let you stay there when you got there? And then they upgraded you?

Maybe that is what I should hope for, if they really won't 3 of us stay in the Deluxe King!!!!

I am wondering if they changed it...last year when we wanted to try the room they told me I couldn't, but they might be changing that in the near future?!?!?

How far along should the construction be in late Jan/ early Feb.? Will that really affect my stay?

And if they close that room inventory, what would they do with my current ressie?

THANKS for any thoughts...my head is spinning...Deluxe King, Deluxe Queen, or pay the big bucks for a 1 bed suite....ugh...why isn't this easy...well no matter what, at least I'm going back to Disney :)

This is true Jungle Cruiser. I am usually very strong willed on most things in my life but when it comes to packing for Disney, I am like a little kid at Christmas. Can't wait.:laughing:

Ok DH and I were having a discussion earlier about the cabana's. Since we always rent a cabana every time we stay at the GF we decided to bite the bullet and rent one again this time. We are aware that it may be noisy over there, but it's like a tradition and part of our GF stay. Just couldn't resist.

So exciting for you. I hear you about packing :banana:. I have lost some weight from the chemo and none of my shorts fit. So I went out to the mall today and was deciding whether to buy 2 or 3 pairs. Where did my mind go, to DISNEY! I will need more than 2 in September ;) so I bought 3!!!

As for the cabanas, I don't want to burst your bubble, just want to make sure you are aware that you will looking at walls across the pool. As long as the view isn't important, you will be in the lap of luxury! :cloud9:

lulu'smom, you go girl! :cheer2: Get your strength up in the pool, that sounds perfect! :hug:

k&a&c'smom, where are people seeing your new thread? A couple of comments on the new FAQ's...what am I missing :confused: AND if there are any pictures you would like let me know.

baler31

So, you did book a Deluxe Queen and they wouldn't let you stay there when you got there? And then they upgraded you?

Maybe that is what I should hope for, if they really won't 3 of us stay in the Deluxe King!!!!

I am wondering if they changed it...last year when we wanted to try the room they told me I couldn't, but they might be changing that in the near future?!?!?

How far along should the construction be in late Jan/ early Feb.? Will that really affect my stay?

And if they close that room inventory, what would they do with my current ressie?

THANKS for any thoughts...my head is spinning...Deluxe King, Deluxe Queen, or pay the big bucks for a 1 bed suite....ugh...why isn't this easy...well no matter what, at least I'm going back to Disney :)

Yes, we booked for 5 (over the phone I believe) and when we arrived they noticed the error and told us the occupancy for the room was 4. I had just a bit of time to panic before they told us as it was their error they would find us a suitable room. Now this was 03 or 04 and in Oct. so the resort was not full at all so I am sure that also had something to do with it. I will note that during many, many stays at Disney it is the only upgrade we have ever received so I always tell people not to plan on anything.

If it let you book it online i would not worry about it other than maybe calling IPO to double check if you just want to be sure.

As for the construction and rooms, I was told that the possibility of closing those rooms was remote it could happen and in that instance they would most likely "walk" us to another resort for an equivalent room.

I just booked a trip for my DH and I for our 10th anniversary the first week in Nov. We are doing a split stay with 2 nights at BC to do food & wine fest. and then 3 nights at GF on the platinum dining plan. We have stayed at BC before and know which room area to ask for. I am totally confused on GF though since we haven't stayed there. We are not staying in the category of the main building. Could someone help me in deciding which outer building to ask for? I know we want a king room. We will be eating a V&A and using the monorail and water sports. Should ask to be near the monorail?

I've opened up the new FAQ, everyone can post on it!!:thumbsup2 I know it looks very similar to this one, but there is a lot of new content and I've gone through most of the text to update. I'm looking for a couple photos for the top of the page so it will have a look all its own. I still have more work to do, a lot of photos I want to add, but we are nearing the 250 mark.

I'll continue to monitor here for a couple days, to redirect everyone to the new thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2932607

I just booked a trip for my DH and I for our 10th anniversary the first week in Nov. We are doing a split stay with 2 nights at BC to do food & wine fest. and then 3 nights at GF on the platinum dining plan. We have stayed at BC before and know which room area to ask for. I am totally confused on GF though since we haven't stayed there. We are not staying in the category of the main building. Could someone help me in deciding which outer building to ask for? I know we want a king room. We will be eating a V&A and using the monorail and water sports. Should ask to be near the monorail?

:welcome: Congrats on your upcoming anniversary, glad you've joined us.:goodvibes

With the resort under construction, I would request a building that is away from it. The furthest away would be Sago Cay, and that would give the added bonus of not overlooking the courtyard pool - which is where the beach pool activities have been relocated. Unfortunately, Sago Cay is the furthest from the main building back entrance to the lobby, but it is very close to the bus stop.

The closest to the main bldg. is Big Pine Key, but as that building faces the construction on one side and the courtyard pool on the other, I have not been recommending it. Luckily, the GF grounds are not very big so none of the buildings are more than a 2-3 minute walk.

If you take a look at the map on page 1, you can get a feel for the layout of the resort.:thumbsup2

brsirak - I second baler31, your best bet is to contact IPO and discuss it with them.:thumbsup2

CoachBagFanatic - I was just going to point out what Jungle Cruiser posted - the cabanas don't have much of a view at the moment. The beach pool feels very closed in and cramped to me. There were a number of people using it when we were there a couple weeks ago, but mostly for the slide, I think. Below, I've copied a photo Jungle Cruiser posted on another thread, hope she doesn't mind.:goodvibes

54ad7891.jpg

baler31 - LOL about the old phone. I used my Moto T720 for 7 years, and would have continued if I hadn't dropped it.:headache:

Thanks about the photo - I'll let you know. You are getting so close!:yay:

CoachBagFanatic - I was just going to point out what Jungle Cruiser posted - the cabanas don't have much of a view at the moment. The beach pool feels very closed in and cramped to me. There were a number of people using it when we were there a couple weeks ago, but mostly for the slide, I think. Below, I've copied a photo Jungle Cruiser posted on another thread, hope she doesn't mind.:goodvibes

thanks k&a&c'smom. I did show all these photos to DH when they were first posted. We talked and we are looking at it this way. We arrive on at the GF Monday morning and we rented the cabana for Tuesday afternoon. Once we arrive, this still gives us plenty of time to go over by the pool to see if we really want to keep the cabana or not. If not we still have plenty of time to cancel without being penalized. I know my heart that the cabana won't be the same as before.:sad1:

So, with construction going on, should I book at the Polynesian or Contemporary instead? I know we want a monorail resort...

Nine more days to the Grand. Nine more days to the Grand!!!!! A long weekend celebration of the end of school for the year and the end of our annual passes. And the Sugarloaf booking is the surprise for my girls. Can't wait!

we have a standard club level room (Sugarloaf) and there are 5 of us - the CM said there is a daybed so it's OK - is that true?

I have a deluxe king club room room booked for my November vacation. I know there are 2 floorplans for this room category, the turret room which is larger but has no balcony or the 2nd floor room with a balcony. Has anyone stayed in either or both that has any input or can offer any advice on which to request? I would also love to see pictures of either room if anyone has any to share.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter